I wish GW2 had World Chat

Hmm. What if, instead of a world chat, we had a sort of cross-zone chat. Maybe split it into zones, like Kryta or Maguuma. Because having a global chat in gw2 would produce talks as meaningful as twitch chat messages.

That being said, even if we dropped the global aspect, even the ability to talk between instances of the same map could be incredibly useful when organising or joining map meta's or time gated events.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Westenev.5289 said:

That being said, even if we dropped the global aspect, even the ability to talk between instances of the same map could be incredibly useful when organising or joining map meta's or time gated events.

Although I'm not against the idea of map chat across instances, can you imagine the amount of fighting that might create? Someone can't get onto a full map because of a meta, hp train, farming, etc. Instead of asking nicely, someone will demand the others to leave map so they can join their squad. Don't think it'll happen? Just look at the number of entitled people.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

Hmm. What if, instead of a world chat, we had a sort of cross-zone chat. Maybe split it into zones, like Kryta or Maguuma. Because having a global chat in gw2 would produce talks as meaningful as twitch chat messages.

the thing is, how would this work when each zone is mult instanced? Will all instances of the same zone be in the same continent chat? 

Played an mmo years and years ago that allowed you to create your own chat channels. 

Was it Warhammer online? feels like its been a decade. 

Anyway, it was quite good, cause you could spread your channel name and we'd end up with an events channel or chat channel or any other channel for any reason or anything that takes your fancy, like an RP channel to find RP groups. 

Though honestly, not once did I ever see any of those chat channels we made up trolled, and even if one person did it you could just block then anyway. And honestly, I've never seen GW2 have anywhere near the chat scene WoW had. I reckon most would be quite civil, people in game are usually pretty cool. I just always find it concerning that people these days always quote "trolling" as a reason for something to not exist entirely. It makes no sense as an argument against something. 

Some of the best times on the internet that most people quote was when we were actually allowed to troll on forums before now, where it just gets you banned for no reason. It should never be a reason for something to not exist. 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Confused 2

About the problem of technical restrictions:
A long long time ago, I have played another famous MMORPG on a freeshard (= private server). One of the servers early unique features was an IRC plugin.

IRC = Internet Relay Chat
You can imagine it as a massive network of chat-rooms hosted on servers. Those were used for chatting, but also massively for file-sharing. Only text, colorful, no pictures, no videos. 

Anyway, there has been an IRC server with one chat-room for the game. You were able to access that IRC chat with a simple chat-command in the chat-box. You were able to talk to whoever was in that chatroom, no matter where they have been in the game.

I do not expect the developers to use an IRC for GW2 - although it would be funny and quite nostalgic ^^. But they key to a world-chat across all instances probably lies in a chat-server outside the game.
-
The risk I see with a world-chat would be the vendors and guild adverts. They would occupy and spam this channel completely. If we wanted it to be clean for normal use, we would need 'moderation'. Either with real moderators, or with automated bots which use pre-defined rules.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

the thing is, how would this work when each zone is mult instanced? Will all instances of the same zone be in the same continent chat? 

No because of course it wouldnt work. It would just be a random garbage pile of nonsense in the chat.

Each instance will be at a different state, different metas and different events. You'd have people go "event X has started" in chat and get the response that no it hasnt, it just ended, we havent even done the pre event, we just failed that event, we're there where are you, etc. Then times that by 1000 if you go with a global chat.

The idea has as much merit as it did 3 years ago before this thread was necroed. Meaning, none.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/21/2018 at 11:38 PM, MithranArkanere.8957 said:

Yeah. Megaphones.

They decided not to go ahead, because there's just too many people at the same time in contact.

A wise decision. It would have been utter chaos and madness. The reel would go so fast that we would not be able to read our own chats. People would just wide the megaphone broadcast, making them pointless.

Warframe can be example of global chat's.  

Its possible to communicate there if moderators are in place, but its shitfest thats for sure, yet it also an feature, because u end up with thousands of people just lurking and reading banter of few local wordsmiths, just like streaming or any chatrooms.... major portions of population there lurks,  observe communication of other people and come solely for that, game itself is secondary thing. 

Not to mention that it would serve tutorial function, as newbies would ask or end up reading stuff that explains and clears confusions about the game et cetera.

It just need really active moderation to snipe trolls and memers fast else its gg 

• Confused 2

What's confusing about my post above? I was giving a history lesson and proving how it could work and has worked in other games that have more QoL then GW2 has had for ten years, gw2 really could stand to update a lot of its old systems. Its a great game, can make it greater. 

• Confused 1