Will we ever see a Guild Wars 3?

@"STIHL.2489" said:Often times any mention of a decline in the game, it's funds or population, will be met with some whiteknight kind of justification that the game is older and attrition just happens.It's a fact that all games lose players. Heck, all human social organizations lose players, unless they do something to bring in fresh blood. That's true for MMOs as well as things like political parties, book clubs, and even streaming services. It's got nothing to do with "justification" or "whiteknighting."

...then GW2 is now in downward years,Yes, exactly. Like any MMO.

which means, a GW3, is not only a possibility,That's an interesting point.

but, a necessity. if Anena Net wants to see upward growth again.Except that this doesn't necessarily follow.

ANet has seen upward growth, with each expansion. That won't be enough to completely mitigate the downward trend. Not everyone is cut out to play the same thing for more than five years. The question is: how long can ANet sustain their current business model, with the sort of expansions GW2 has had so far?

You're correct that they can't allow the game to keep losing too many players. But there are many options:

• Re-orient the expansions/LS towards those sorts of players willing to overspend in the gem shop. Fewer players spending more money.
  • Change the nature of the expansions/LS, in a way that is more likely to bring in people besides veterans on hiatus. The inclusion of Raids and Mounts works along these lines (attracting different sorts of players). Was it insufficient because ANet doesn't advertise well enough? Or because people are still looking for more traditional expansions (new races, no matter how cheezy, more instanced content, more maps, more powerful characters,...)
  • Reduce the size of the company, set more modest goals.
  • Produce a new game in a different genre (e.g some of the founders were previously involved in franchises that extended their longevity by adding strategy games to their RPG series).
  • Produce a new game on a different platform, e.g. GW2 polymock for phones.
  • Sell the company to a bigger studio that can afford the rest of the infrastructure that ANet has always lacked (e.g. more substantive support, underlying tech that can be applied efficiently to multiple games, instead of just one, ...)
  • And sure, put GW2 into maintenance mode, and start GW3.

Selling the company is clearly among the more difficult because, well, ANet already has a big studio owner. But I think GW3 is just as unlikely in many ways, because it's an incredibly expensive choice to throw away the current tech and start again. Without a guarantee that the new sequel will be popular enough to make it all worthwhile. There are lots of other possible scenarios worth pursuing before they have to make that choice.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rather see a graphical overhaul of the game instead of a 3rd. MMOs usually don't need sequels since they are evolving over the years. The only thing that may help is marketing of a new game so the franchise becomes again more popular. I had people ask me: wow GW2 still exists? Didn't know... a shame.

A GW3 wouldn't be that bad, at least in my opinion... GW2 is still too much of a single-player-experience game-design-wise and thus has some fundamental flaws that make it unable to shine as a true MMORPG and which won't get fixed anymore (and judging ArenaNets behaviour, they don't care anyway). But it probably won't happen, so yeah...

The thing with MMOs is you can often just update the polygon count and max texture size as much as the engine allows it. And since GW runs on a in-house engine, the limits are who knows.

WoW is an obvious example of this. WoW has received so many graphical updates and hi-res upgrades that it practically could be argued that WoW-2 already exists as something that has been phased in to gradually replace the original game.

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:The thing with MMOs is you can often just update the game as much as the engine allows it. And since GW runs on a in-house engine, the limits are who knows.

WoW is an obvious example of this. WoW has received so many graphical updates and hi-res upgrades that it practically could be argued that WoW-2 already exists as something that has been phased in to gradually replace the original game.

Just updating graphics won't get you rid of fundamental/systematic flaws and won't enable you to implement truly new stuff though.

@Raizel.8175 said:

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:The thing with MMOs is you can often just update the game as much as the engine allows it. And since GW runs on a in-house engine, the limits are who knows.

Just updating graphics won't get you rid of fundamental/systematic flaws and won't enable you to implement truly new stuff though.

... Well except thats what GW2 has done. HoT and PoF maps are faaaar beyond vanilla maps in terms of detail and they added gliders and mounts... And thats just the big things. Lots of smaller features, new stuff and changes. Hell, we had to smack together weapons/armor once to reskin them, remember? Building 2 of the same legendary if you wanted to dualwield something like daggers... For each character.

Anet can implement whatever they want.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

... Well except thats what GW2 has done. HoT and PoF maps are faaaar beyond vanilla maps in terms of detail and they added gliders and mounts... And thats just the big things. Lots of smaller features, new stuff and changes. Hell, we had to smack together weapons/armor once to reskin them, remember? Building 2 of the same legendary if you wanted to dualwield something like daggers... For each character.

Your examples are far too specefic. I'm talking about fundamental issues like the atrocious class-"balance" (combat system), reward-structures, socialization elements, etc.

@Raizel.8175 said:

Some people call them flaws, some other people call them features that raise this game above other MMO's. I tried going back to other MMO's but I just can't anymore. They just feel too restrictive, and some of the systems feel arbitrary. Like gear progression, and new level caps.

@Raizel.8175 said:

Your examples are far too specefic. I'm talking about fundamental issues like the atrocious class-"balance" (combat system), reward-structures, socialization elements, etc.

Anet has constantly been changing balance, we've gotten totally new reward structures like the reward tracks, the way guilds worked was redone so they where not so exclusive to which you repped, not to mention megaservers allowing play across servers, etc.

@Raizel.8175 said:

None of those are engine-bound...Poor Balance is simply a question of "human error", for lack of a better term. It's not bound to the system, it's bound to whoever programs the effects of skills.Reward structures can, and have been, restructured easily enough. Are not remotely bound to the client.Social elements are, again not limited by the client, and can be added easily enough, if there's will for it. They have even added recently one very technical aspect of social interaction by allowing you to sit on chairs and stuff around the map. This is probably the social interaction that would be more limited by engine restrictions, and yet was surpassed as a kind of a almost easter-egg kind of thing made by the devs.

Movement and physics (stuff that is bound and limited by the engine) have been restructured and improved at least 3 times:first time, and the ground work for the others, was released with the Labyrinthine Cliffs and the Zephyrite Crystal's movement skills;second time, for HoT and the gliding, mushrooms, that built upon the zephyrite skillsthird time, with mounts for PoF.

Of all the aspects of a game that might require a third instalment, your list mentions none.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"STIHL.2489" said:Often times any mention of a decline in the game, it's funds or population, will be met with some whiteknight kind of justification that the game is older and attrition just happens.It's a fact that all games lose players. Heck, all human social organizations lose players,
unless
they do something to bring in fresh blood. That's true for MMOs as well as things like political parties, book clubs, and even streaming services. It's got nothing to do with "justification" or "whiteknighting."

...then GW2 is now in downward years,Yes, exactly. Like any MMO.

which means, a GW3, is not only a possibility,That's an interesting point.

but, a necessity. if Anena Net wants to see upward growth again.Except that this doesn't necessarily follow.

ANet has seen upward growth, with each expansion. That won't be enough to completely mitigate the downward trend. Not everyone is cut out to play the same thing for more than five years. The question is: how long can ANet sustain their current business model, with the sort of expansions GW2 has had so far?

You're correct that they can't allow the game to keep losing too many players. But there are many options:
  • Re-orient the expansions/LS towards those sorts of players willing to overspend in the gem shop. Fewer players spending more money.
  • Change the nature of the expansions/LS, in a way that is more likely to bring in people besides veterans on hiatus. The inclusion of Raids and Mounts works along these lines (attracting different sorts of players). Was it insufficient because ANet doesn't advertise well enough? Or because people are still looking for more traditional expansions (new races, no matter how cheezy, more instanced content, more maps, more powerful characters,...)
  • Reduce the size of the company, set more modest goals.
  • Produce a new game in a different genre (e.g some of the founders were previously involved in franchises that extended their longevity by adding strategy games to their RPG series).
  • Produce a new game on a different platform, e.g. GW2 polymock for phones.
  • Sell the company to a bigger studio that can afford the rest of the infrastructure that ANet has always lacked (e.g. more substantive support, underlying tech that can be applied efficiently to multiple games, instead of just one, ...)
  • And sure, put GW2 into maintenance mode, and start GW3.

Selling the company is clearly among the more difficult because, well, ANet already has a big studio owner. But I think GW3 is just as unlikely in many ways, because it's an incredibly expensive choice to throw away the current tech and start again. Without a guarantee that the new sequel will be popular enough to make it all worthwhile. There are lots of other possible scenarios worth pursuing before they have to make that choice.

You have agreed with me that the game is in a natural downward progression, as such, it's best years are behind it, it is not a matter of if it becomes unsustainable, but when. As such, if they ever hope to boost numbers they need to put out a new game.

Will we have weapon dyeing, then?Dye-able backpacks?What about multilayered clothing?Medium armor without trenchcoats?More visible weapons for Asura?Diferentiated armor design for race, so they aren't just human armor stretched?Faster armor production?

And this is only by the "fashion" side.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Dami.5046 said:I Hope not.

In a lot of ways I wish they had just progressed GW (1).

Well, at some point any code base just gets to the point where even minor changes take more development time than starting from scratch. Plus they wanted to change it to an MMO.

Yeah I get that. Things change things get better. I get it I get it.It's good thing the memories don't change.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

None of those are engine-bound...Poor Balance is simply a question of "human error", for lack of a better term. It's not bound to the system, it's bound to whoever programs the effects of skills.Reward structures can, and have been, restructured easily enough. Are not remotely bound to the client.Social elements are, again not limited by the client, and can be added easily enough, if there's will for it. They have even added recently one very technical aspect of social interaction by allowing you to sit on chairs and stuff around the map. This is probably the social interaction that would be more limited by engine restrictions, and yet was surpassed as a kind of a almost easter-egg kind of thing made by the devs.

Movement and physics (stuff that is bound and limited by the engine) have been restructured and improved at least 3 times:first time, and the ground work for the others, was released with the Labyrinthine Cliffs and the Zephyrite Crystal's movement skills;second time, for HoT and the gliding, mushrooms, that built upon the zephyrite skillsthird time, with mounts for PoF.

Of all the aspects of a game that might require a third instalment, your list mentions none.

It's true that none of them may be bound to the engine itself. Some of these elements - especially combat and class-balance - are so fundamental though that you can't really change them. I hope we can agree that this game knows no class-balance. If you really want to balance this, you'd have to overhaul the class-system and the gameplay itself, since balance is very much dependent on the specific encounter and you can't just take numbers into account, but also several buffs, utilities, etc. The game lacks coherence and you feel that not just in PvE, but also a lot in PvP and WvW.

...and that's just one problem. You don't know if small changes will break other stuff. Apparently, GW2 has some very weird spaghetti-coding, else stuff like Xera wouldn't be totally broke though the implementation of content that should be totally independent from that specific raid-encounter. I could go on, but I hope I've made my point of view clear.

@Raizel.8175 said:

It's true that none of them may be bound to the engine itself. Some of these elements - especially combat and class-balance - are so fundamental though that you can't really change them. I hope we can agree that this game knows no class-balance. If you really want to balance this, you'd have to overhaul the class-system and the gameplay itself, since balance is very much dependent on the specific encounter and you can't just take numbers into account, but also several buffs, utilities, etc. The game lacks coherence and you feel that not just in PvE, but also a lot in PvP and WvW.

...and that's just one problem. You don't know if small changes will break other stuff. Apparently, GW2 has some very weird spaghetti-coding, else stuff like Xera wouldn't be totally broke though the implementation of content that should be totally independent from that specific raid-encounter. I could go on, but I hope I've made my point of view clear.

You clearly don't understand what we're speaking of, and confusing bad implementation of things with the impossibility of them being implemented.Also, it's a fact of building upon old code, eventually you'll get weird "spaghetti code" interactions. Also you don't know if it was unrelated.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

You clearly don't understand what we're speaking of, and confusing bad implementation of things with the impossibility of them being implemented.Also, it's a fact of building upon old code, eventually you'll get weird "spaghetti code" interactions. Also you don't know if it was unrelated.

I do think that I know what you're talking about, but I also think that just taking the engine into consideration isn't sufficient. I'm talking about some fundamental design-decisions which certainly won't be changed, even though they ultimately turned into flaws which won't get fixed due to the effort that the fixing would take. Else, please explain.

@Raizel.8175 said:

I do think that I know what you're talking about, but I also think that just taking the engine into consideration isn't sufficient. I'm talking about some fundamental design-decisions which certainly won't be changed, even though they ultimately turned into flaws which won't get fixed due to the effort that the fixing would take. Else, please explain.

Your logic is so backwards i don't even know how to explain this to you...But basically, if they were to isolate balance as a problem, what is the most likely and cost effective solution?Fix it in the current game? Or make a new game just to fix balance?

And if they did make a new game without fixing balance in guild wars 2, why do you think they would magically change their philosophy and start doing it different, just because it's a new game?

Are you serious right now?

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

Your logic is so backwards i don't even know how to explain this to you...But basically, if they were to isolate balance as a problem, what is the most likely and cost effective solution?Fix it in the current game? Or make a new game just to fix balance?

And if they did make a new game without fixing balance in guild wars 2, why do you think they would magically change their philosophy and start doing it different, just because it's a new game?

Are you serious right now?

I kinda... don't really understand you?

Balance was only one example out of many. What I mean is basically that you can't really change an already written/half-finished book anymore on a fundamental level, a blank page is a blank page though and enables you to overthink fundamental design-choices. From what I read from you, you also think that the current content-release was rather stale due to repetitive formulaic game design, right? That will probably continue. What I think about here is also the step towards a full-fledged MMORPG since - at least in my opinion - GW2 is still too focused on the single-player-component, which is - also in my opinion - also one of the factors why GW2 suffers from incoherence. Of course it's just a mind game to create a new game, since there probably aren't any resources to do so, but still...

Edit: I'm probably quite biased though since the game is quite frustrating for me lately.

I'd rather they go down the Blizzard route and develop a side game or IP either set in the same universe or a new one. Why cannibalize your own market? The reason why GW2 made more sense to GW1 at the time was because of how limited the game was for long-term progression, and it wasn't a full MMO so it was an obvious step forward.

@STIHL.2489 said:You have agreed with me that the game is in a natural downward progression, as such, it's best years are behind it, it is not a matter of if it becomes unsustainable, but when. As such, if they ever hope to boost numbers they need to put out a new game.There's no guarantee that the new game will end up more popular than this one (in fact, considering the global MMORPG trends, it probably won't be). It is certain however, that even just mentioning GW3 is in production (to say nothing about actually making it) will negatively impact GW2 numbers. They will be trading a current, certain and predictable source of income for an uncertain future one.

Blizzard has a lot more money to burn on a project like that, and yet they haven't risked anything like that yet. Even though WoW is far more aged than GW2. I really doubt that Anet, a firm that almost certainly cannot at the moment afford making a second project alongside the current one, would dare to go that way unless they felt they have no other choice.

Besides, personally it's more probable that, if they ever decided Gw2 no longer cuts it for them, they'd go the Blizzard way and make not a sequel game, but something completely different. Maybe not even an MMORPG.That's much safer, as it doesn't kill your current income source in the process.

@"STIHL.2489" said:You have agreed with me that the game is in a natural downward progression,

I have not. I have agreed that there is attrition of active participants, which is something that affects every human endeavor.

as such, it's best years are behind it,Only if you equate "best years" with "greatest amount of active players." The point is: the most active years of a game are always behind it. That holds for WoW, too, which, as you might know, is still going strong.

it is not a matter of if it becomes unsustainable, but when.Yes. And again that's true for any social activity.You keep assuming that the only option a studio has is to release a new game. And implicit in that assumption is the idea that a sequel will be the best possible use of available resources.

As such, if they ever hope to boost numbers they need to put out a new game.Boost numbers? No, they don't need a new game for that. They boosted numbers with the release of each expansion. The meltdown that was Bliss' launch boosted numbers. If they hope to see the sort of numbers they had in Aug 2012, sure, new game might do it.

All they need to guarantee to themselves is that they make enough money to pay the cost of running the studio (with a healthy return to relevant investors). There are multiple ways to do that, only one of which requires starting from scratch.

It's fair to say that if ANet wants to keep having a big studio, then some day a sequel will be a better option than tinkering with GW2. But it's impossible to guess at when that "some day" might be, especially given all the other opportunities.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:It's fair to say that if ANet wants to keep having a big studio, then some day a sequel will be a better option than tinkering with GW2. But it's impossible to guess at when that "some day" might be, especially given all the other opportunities.

It does not matter then when, all that matters is that we know it is a must be. The attrition of the games population as it ages makes it inevitable that they will need to move on to something else eventually..

The only alternative to GW3 at this point, is if they do as @Astralporing.1957 said, and move in a whole different direction.

Archived