Mystic Coins

@irondog.4830 said:I have been in game since a couple weeks after it came out. I love this game. I put money almost every months, 20 - 50 dollars, and I love to buy vanity items. However, mystic coins are no the bane of my existence in Tyria and I hate to have to put $50.00 on account for mystic coins instead of spending them on things like mounts or skins, ect. I use to be able to make a legendary in about 6 months, and would buy the coins to use in the recipes to get clovers.

What exactly do you spend your ACTUAL gold on then? I mean you probably do some sort of activities that earn gold in game, just use that to buy Mystic Coins. You can also gain Clovers on day 30 Log In, inside the Legendary Material chest. There is also a PVP reward track that rewards Mystic Clovers as well which you can get by doing daily PVP achievements. I mean it usually takes me about a month of grind to make a legendary (without any $$$) and my personal complaint is on the acquisition of Gift of Battle and Gift of Exploration @_@

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 120 multiplication of price within a year is totally insane. They used to be 80c or 1s, now they are 1g20s. So, I did what anet loves the most: I just dropped 50€ and bought gems to get the stupid coins, had around 140, used 350 (clovers)+250(gift) to make Mystic Tribute. They really should change something. I am not willing to wait months/farming mind-numbingly. I work 100% and there are also other games. At least I can easily afford it, since I earn about 50€ per hour.

Coins seem like such an odd thing to single out. If you're making a gen 2 legendary, you have many more difficult and expensive things to do than this. I don't have the Mystic Coins that I need to finish Astralaria yet, but I'm dreading them far less than something like the Gift of Battle that forces me to grind content that I don't play, don't enjoy, and that I'm probably not very good at. But every time I get 1.2 gold or so from any type of play, I'm one Mystic Coin closer.

I don't claim to know if the current price is the "right" price for Mystic Coins, but I would not prefer the days when they were worthless. The last thing this game needs is another oversupplied crafting material with no value that no one cares about. Imo, they serve their purpose well at around 1 gold.

I never get this mystic coin threads. You are making legendary, you know which materials are used for it, you know how expensive it is and that mysic coins are a part of this expensive crafting list. You can earn them in game(login rewards, anomaly event, mysic forger daily, CM fractals, daily fractal chests), you can buy them from TP and their price has been very stable for very long time (~1-1.2g/coin). How are they problem exactly? When you are going to craft craft legendary you can easily tell how much gold you will need to sink for mystic coins, like with any other material. I've crafted over 10 legendary items and mystic coins are never issue because I trea them as part of the overall expense and there has never been issue with availability. World completion, gift of battle timegate and account bound materials are way worse than this.

In my opinion mysic coins prices are in sweet spot right now, not overly expensive and not totally worthless, just about right for what and in what quantities they are used for.

@Critical Lag.9075 said:I never get this mystic coin threads. You are making legendary, you know which materials are used for it, you know how expensive it is and that mysic coins are a part of this expensive crafting list. You can earn them in game(login rewards, anomaly event, mysic forger daily, CM fractals, daily fractal chests), you can buy them from TP and their price has been very stable for very long time (~1-1.2g/coin). How are they problem exactly? When you are going to craft craft legendary you can easily tell how much gold you will need to sink for mystic coins, like with any other material. I've crafted over 10 legendary items and mystic coins are never issue because I trea them as part of the overall expense and there has never been issue with availability. World completion, gift of battle timegate and account bound materials are way worse than this.

In my opinion mysic coins prices are in sweet spot right now, not overly expensive and not totally worthless, just about right for what and in what quantities they are used for.

No crafting mat that 120fold in price is 'right'. It's a result of missbalancing, and you don't earn them, you just get them and you can't farm then. And no. It is not right to rely on others on the TP to simply buy them. And if you wait and play 'normal' without 2nd and 3rd account (wtf are those arguments anyways), you have to wait for 2 years to make a 2nd gen legendary. This is plain stupid. Legendary here or there.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

@Critical Lag.9075 said:I never get this mystic coin threads. You are making legendary, you know which materials are used for it, you know how expensive it is and that mysic coins are a part of this expensive crafting list. You can earn them in game(login rewards, anomaly event, mysic forger daily, CM fractals, daily fractal chests), you can buy them from TP and their price has been very stable for very long time (~1-1.2g/coin). How are they problem exactly? When you are going to craft craft legendary you can easily tell how much gold you will need to sink for mystic coins, like with any other material. I've crafted over 10 legendary items and mystic coins are never issue because I trea them as part of the overall expense and there has never been issue with availability. World completion, gift of battle timegate and account bound materials are way worse than this.

No crafting mat that 120fold in price is 'right'. It's a result of missbalancing (i.e. doubling the amount from 233 coins to ~500 for a legendary and needing them for scribing which didn't exist before), and you don't earn them, you just get them and you can't farm then. And no. It is not right to rely on others on the TP to simply buy them. And if you wait and play 'normal' without 2nd and 3rd account (kitten are those arguments anyways), you have to wait for 2 years to make a 2nd gen legendary. This is plain stupid. Legendary here or there.

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:

• We would no longer need to pay 90s...1.5g per coin for recipes that were designed when they were expected to be around 30s.

That's an interesting point, because I'm sure these recipes haven't been updated over the years.

That said though, were you able to earn gold as quickly back then when they sold for 30s as you could now? I'm told at one point Dusk sold for like 40g on the TP whereas its 750g now.

Last night alone doing T4 dailies and my Daily Completionist I earned about 12g for 80 minutes of play time. Were you able to earn 10g per hour, WITHOUT farming a meta, back then?

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

• We would no longer need to pay 90s...1.5g per coin for recipes that were designed when they were expected to be around 30s.

That's an interesting point, because I'm sure these recipes haven't been updated over the years.

That said though, were you able to earn gold as quickly back then when they sold for 30s as you could now? I'm told at one point Dusk sold for like 40g on the TP whereas its 750g now.

Last night alone doing T4 dailies and my Daily Completionist I earned about 12g for 80 minutes of play time. Were you able to earn 10g per hour, WITHOUT farming a meta, back then?

There's people who earns thousands per day fiddling with the TP. That doesn't mean thing should be tailored around the highest earners. Mots people don't even farm, play fractals or raids.

There's people who earns thousands per day fiddling with the TP. That doesn't mean thing should be tailored around the highest earners. Mots people don't even farm, play fractals or raids.

By the same extension, most people have no need for mystic coins, as they aren't crafting legendary weapons, feasts, or any of the uniquely named items in the game that call for them.

I'm merely addressing your point that the coins used to cost less than now, by pointing out that gold is (likely) far easier to obtain now than the time period you are referring to. I wasn't playing then so I can't speak from experience.

@"Etria.3642" said:I do not object to the price or availability of mystic coins for crafting LEGENDARIES. It's the other recipes that require too many.

Except thats willfully denying history to promote the the current status quo as being "normal prices". The vast majority of the non-legendary recipes date back to the game's launch, when Coin prices were very low, due to a huge amount being generated via a large number of players. The coins, at its lowest point where roughly 1-2s each until winter 2014, where its been on an upward trend ever since. Suspiciously (not suspiciously), this also happens to be when they changed to the login reward system, and brought the acquisition bottleneck to the forefront of market speculation. Its worth noting the climb was fairly soft until Oct 15, which is when Raids were introduced. Listings surged during that time as well, but prices remained pretty steady until Wintersday that year, when 75% of the sale listings were bought out in just a couple of days, doubling the price of coins from 15s to 30s. Over the course of Feburary the supply steadily declined, and hit its new low point in the 3rd week..... which is right around the time Raiders would be getting enough LIs to make their first complete set of Legendary Armor.

From that point forward, Legendary gear has been the driving consumer of Mystic coins, as very few new recipes explicit call for them. Not even the Specialization weapons which needed Mystic Weapons, and does need mystic coins to make, had the kind of impact on trends the Legendary armor had. The only other times coin supplies get eaten up is during major festivals, which tends to have a huge influx of TP trading and gold movement from Festival rewards.

Consider the lead up to Path of Fire saw caused prices to jump 50%, and easily attributed to people making legendary weapons in preparation for the new Especs; only to fall back down in price shortly after launch to just below previous levels. After that, it continued its upward trend until today. So despite the standing supply growing slightly over time, the prices prices haven't trended back down. Buy orders have also steadily grown since the armor boom.

https://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19976

The simple fact of the matter is the older recipes are from a time when mystic coins were more abundant, but also well below their intended value. The current situation we're in is MC prices are way above their intended price scale, and much of that has to do with the a combination of increased liquid gold, other materials getting massive farms added to boost their supply, and increased interest in Legendary weapons and Armor. Mystic Forge weapon skins also date back to Launch (well before HoT collections made them important), so they're MC requirement is based on a time when their cost was trivial. The same goes for Feasts, and other bulk recipes.

when you look at bigger picture, Mystic coin prices are disproportionately high for the amounts needed in recipes. And a huge part of that trend rests in the fact that we can't farm coins the way we can farm nearly any other material needed in constructing items, thus its become the bottle neck of production. Its also not immediately obvious, but the farms added to address problem with Ascended gear production had a knock on effect of areas of Legendary gear production. In fact, Coin prices are following a similar pattern during the Cloth drought, followed by the leather drought, caused by the addition of ascended gear; until the cloth and leather farms (first via festivals, and later via LS3 and POF) finally managed to feed supply fast enough to meet demand.

My personal preference for play is exploration. I run around zones, tap nodes I pass, accrue exploration credit, and do events as I see them. In a shortish play session (1-2 hours), selling mats, I garner anywhere from 3 to 8 gold -- and that's doing about half a core map. That's 2-6 coins worth with some left over. I doubt that that puts me in the tier with the "highest earners."

So, some people don't farm but still want coins? GW2 supports that play style. What it doesn't support, perhaps, is completing some of the game's time sinks fast enough to suit some of those people. Perhaps some reflection on the fact that the business model of the MMO genre is based on wasting time -- if we let it -- is in order.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"Etria.3642" said:I do not object to the price or availability of mystic coins for crafting LEGENDARIES. It's the other recipes that require too many.

Except thats willfully denying history to promote the the current status quo as being "normal prices". The vast majority of the non-legendary recipes date back to the game's launch, when Coin prices were very low, due to a huge amount being generated via a large number of players. The coins, at its lowest point where roughly 1-2s each until winter 2014, where its been on an upward trend ever since. Suspiciously (not suspiciously), this also happens to be when they changed to the login reward system, and brought the acquisition bottleneck to the forefront of market speculation. Its worth noting the climb was fairly soft until Oct 15, which is when Raids were introduced. Listings surged during that time as well, but prices remained pretty steady until Wintersday that year, when 75% of the sale listings were bought out in just a couple of days, doubling the price of coins from 15s to 30s. Over the course of Feburary the supply steadily declined, and hit its new low point in the 3rd week..... which is right around the time Raiders would be getting enough LIs to make their first complete set of Legendary Armor.

From that point forward, Legendary gear has been the driving consumer of Mystic coins, as very few new recipes explicit call for them. Not even the Specialization weapons which needed Mystic Weapons, and does need mystic coins to make, had the kind of impact on trends the Legendary armor had. The only other times coin supplies get eaten up is during major festivals, which tends to have a huge influx of TP trading and gold movement from Festival rewards.

Consider the lead up to Path of Fire saw caused prices to jump 50%, and easily attributed to people making legendary weapons in preparation for the new Especs; only to fall back down in price shortly after launch to just below previous levels. After that, it continued its upward trend until today. So despite the standing supply growing slightly over time, the prices prices haven't trended back down. Buy orders have also steadily grown since the armor boom.

The simple fact of the matter is the older recipes are from a time when mystic coins were more abundant, but also well below their intended value.
The current situation we're in is MC prices are way above their intended price scale
, and much of that has to do with the a combination of increased liquid gold, other materials getting massive farms added to boost their supply, and increased interest in Legendary weapons and Armor. Mystic Forge weapon skins also date back to Launch (well before HoT collections made them important), so they're MC requirement is based on a time when their cost was trivial. The same goes for Feasts, and other bulk recipes.

when you look at bigger picture, Mystic coin prices are disproportionately high for the amounts needed in recipes. And a huge part of that trend rests in the fact that we can't farm coins the way we can farm nearly any other material needed in constructing items, thus its become the bottle neck of production. Its also not immediately obvious, but the farms added to address problem with Ascended gear production had a knock on effect of areas of Legendary gear production. In fact, Coin prices are following a similar pattern during the Cloth drought, followed by the leather drought, caused by the addition of ascended gear; until the cloth and leather farms (first via festivals, and later via LS3 and POF) finally managed to feed supply fast enough to meet demand.

Luckily, as far as leggy armors are concerned, mystic coins arent needed at all. I have all of my Clovers from reward tracks in wvw. Only 2nd Gen leggies absolutely need coins for the mystic tribute. Otherwise, you can earn clovers via reward tracks of pvp or wvw.

@starlinvf.1358 said:The current situation we're in is MC prices are way above their intended price scale

No, the devs have stated that they are pleased that mystic coins provide a method of wealth transfer, from those who want and can afford the fanciest of shinies to those who want coin more than shinies.

The other recipes that people say are also too expensive include the following:

• Mystic weapons, each used for a one-time collection, a few used in two. These are around 50-60 gold on the TP, instead of 8-10 gold back in the day. For a one time expense for high-end collections, that seems fair.
  • Shared food recipes, such as feasts or trays. Coin costs price these out of reach for those interested in efficient spending, but seeing as they aren't generally needed, it seems fair to treat them as luxuries of convenience. These are one time costs.
  • Armor bundles, where you use just a chest piece to build a full set of gear. Similar to shared food, MC costs have priced these out of efficient value. But then again, very few people ever made use of them in the first place. These aren't one time costs, but most people don't make infinite sets of armor, so they still wouldn't see a lot of personal use. These recipes could be removed from GW2 without an important impact on the game (although obviously, those of us who already spent to learn would be upset, but that's a different issue).
  • There are a handful of other skins that require mystic coins, including ones needed for the Jormag collection, i.e. also high end luxury collections.
  • And finally a number of guild hall improvements require m-coins, another one time cost.

There simply aren't any uses for mystic coins that aren't part of luxury or high-end convenience recipes. This is more of an issue of veterans being used to one price for mystic coins. If people want to return to those days, then let's also return to when Giant Eyes were nearly impossible to obtain, when gold was scarce, and when legendaries were far, far more expensive than they are today.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

It's a result of missbalancingI think they were missbalanced when they were almost worthless, In my opinion current price is adequate for things they are used for.and you don't earn them, you just get them

What does that even mean? I'm pretty sure I can say that I EARNED them when I complete CM fractals, or when I play enaugh WvW to reach higher reward tiers or comple Anomaly Event. By those means alone you can earn over 100 of them per month.

and you can't farm then.I see nothing wrong with that you can't mass farm them. That's why they are tradeable.

And no. It is not right to rely on others on the TP to simply buy them. And if you wait and play 'normal' without 2nd and 3rd account (kitten are those arguments anyways)

You don't have to rely on TP. You can get enaugh coins for Nevermore in about 4-5 months doing activities that give you coins. If you want to speed it up, you can earn half of the coins and buy half of them from people who don't need them. It's mmo, that's why trading post exists.

you have to wait for 2 years to make a 2nd gen legendary.2 years is time when you do absolutely nothing but wait for login rewards.

@Critical Lag.9075 said:

you have to wait for 2 years to make a 2nd gen legendary.2 years is time when you do absolutely nothing but wait for login rewards.

And it's in fact
less than one
year. Choosing the Chest of Legendary Materials from the Chest of Loyalty gives 7 clovers. 11 cycles will provide you with all the clovers needed,
no RNG required
. The same 11 cycles will hace given you 220 Mystic Coins.

Daily Mystic Forger will likely have supplied the remaining 30, possibly helped by an occasional Anomaly, or more than supplied if you even somewhat regularly does CM Fractals.

Mystic Coins have reached a level like the Laurels. You do not need 250 Laurels to make any legendaries. Laurels are an item that has a low drop rate because they can be used as currency to buy those additional mattes to craft or that buff you might need. You also cannot sell Laurels on the TP.

Mystic Coins

• Used to drop from each daily
  • Used to drop for major events daily chest
  • Used to drop from WvW and PvP reward track
  • Used to drop from the Mystic Chest in Fractals

Yes, there are older items in the game that require these still to make.Yes, there are players that have been playing for years and years and remember when the drop rate was good, me being one of them.Yes, Guild Wars 2 added new recipes that require 250 Mystic Coins to craft such itemsYes, Guild Wars 2 did change the drop rate where you could get Mystic Coins as a rewardYes, Legendary Weapons and Armor are expensive to make, taking 250 of lots of mattes and lots of time spending farming those mattes.Yes, I know of people that buy additional copies of the game when they are on sale in order to farm Mystic Coins to sell them on the TP because they are inflated enough to offset the cost of the game they bought to flip that gold back to gems.

Do I feel that the drop rate for Mystic Coins is broken?Yes

Take a moment to imagine you are in Queensdale. A person stands you at a table and says what items you would need to survive. You look around you have plenty of water and there are three farms you can use for food. You snag the weapons and armor you would need to defend yourself from the Ettins, Bandits, and Harpes. You might grab a mount to get around faster and a glider in case you fall. They then blindfold you and drop you into a Desert, they pat you on the back and say good luck. You survive for a little while, but soon due to the lack of water, you succumb to your wounds.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Kalendraf.9521 said:Are people seriously wasting coins to make clovers?
mind-boggling

Not everyone does sPvP or WvW enough to make obtaining clovers from those reward tracks worth it. An hour or so of farming yields considerably more clovers (through coins) than 10 hours of reward tracks. Even if that turned out not to be true... one hour vs ten.

Disagree... I have a friend who spent hours farming and trying to convert coins to clovers. After a few days (and hours and hours of farming) got to the 70+ needed clovers.... a lot more than an hour farming. Sometimes no coins at all from conversion attempts.. pfft.

I get lots from wvw. In a few weeks I have over 200 clovers. No converting required.

Most players will respond to this idea as "I shoudnt have to make multiple accounts to play the game".The basis of threads like this is I need stuff to make the stuff that I need, but the stuff is too hard to get , so Anet should make the stuff easier to get.Lets apply that logic to everything, and that will make everyone happy.

@"mauried.5608" said:Most players will respond to this idea as "I shoudnt have to make multiple accounts to play the game".

It would seem extremely unusual to require more than one account to play the game. You don't have to have multiple accounts to get MC's, either. You might need to have multiple accounts to get them on your time frame, but that's you choosing a time frame, not the game forcing you to get to your goal quicker.

The basis of threads like this is I need stuff to make the stuff that I need, but the stuff is too hard to get , so Anet should make the stuff easier to get.

Or, you could get what you need slower.

Lets apply that logic to everything, and that will make everyone happy.

Not a chance, not in your wildest dreams. Anything ANet could do to the game would make some players unhappy.