If Anet would have to make a New Game, what would You like them to make?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since video game concepts can be so different (I mean look at Blizzard suddenly coming up with a team shooter), I would not mind the genre. As long as there are (playable) Asura, I would be fine.

EDIT: Or some comparable species. E.g. The Taruataru from FFXI turned into the Lalafell, which is pretty neat also.

Excelsior.

Co-op metroidvania style of game, with a deep CCG-based build element but fewer "RPG" type elements (gear/stats), set in a different world in the GW universe (the new human world predicted by Garden of the Gods). Built from the ground up as a Fashion Wars game, so efficient art asset addition would be key.

@Dreadshow.9320 said:Sadly it will be some bad mobile game because that's the cool thing the kids like these days.

@Opopanax.1803 said:Tactical RPG that I could play on a tablet.

Lol. I would love to see what else ANet is capable of. They have good world building skills, and the weapon ability concept is really cool and different. I would love to see their fresh ideas in a new game.

@Klowdy.3126 said:

@Dreadshow.9320 said:Sadly it will be some bad mobile game because that's the cool thing the kids like these days.

Lol. I would love to see what else ANet is capable of. They have good world building skills, and the weapon ability concept is really cool and different. I would love to see their fresh ideas in a new game.

If he ever played Final Fantasy Tactics, he would know how good a tRPG can be.

@"perilisk.1874" said:Co-op metroidvania style of game, with a deep CCG-based build element but fewer "RPG" type elements (gear/stats), set in a different world in the GW universe (the new human world predicted by Garden of the Gods). Built from the ground up as a Fashion Wars game, so efficient art asset addition would be key.

I would play this!

@Opopanax.1803 said:

If he ever played Final Fantasy Tactics, he would know how good a tRPG can be.

I’ve a soft spot for the Disgaea franchise, personally. ;)

If they'll treat GW3 the same way they've done with GW2 [as in take a lot of people liked from GW1 and twist it so much that it's nothing but a shell of its former self], then i much rather they make a brand new MMO, maybe with the scrapped story idea of celestial beings coming to judge us. I would've much rather THAT than the current Elder Dragons story because at least these beings would have a personality, not simply be a big dragon that eats magic and that's really it.

@Ephemiel.5694 said:I would've much rather THAT than the current Elder Dragons story because at least these beings would have a personality, not simply be a big dragon that eats magic and that's really it.

But that’s th point. An Lovecraftian alien indifference to puny mortals. You’re not supposed to be personally invested in them on “that” level. They’re supposed to be like Cthulhu.

Besides, you want “that” we’ve had plenty of non-Dragon bad guys to foot that bill. Scarlet, Joko and their ilk.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"Ephemiel.5694" said:I would've much rather THAT than the current Elder Dragons story because at least these beings would have a personality, not simply be a big dragon that eats magic and that's really it.

But that’s th point. An Lovecraftian alien indifference to puny mortals. You’re not supposed to be personally invested in them on “that” level. They’re supposed to be like Cthulhu.

Besides, you want “that” we’ve had plenty of non-Dragon bad guys to foot that bill. Scarlet, Joko and their ilk.

Problem is that Cthulhu or any of the other lovecraftian aliens aren't killed by cannons nor do we invade their minds to kill him, they're creatures so powerful and dark that even trying to think about putting together their reasonings would drive people insane. Here, we killed 2 dragons, a God and 2 more dragons would've died thanks to a machine had we not stopped it.

Also, those "plenty" of bad guys are either lore-breaking [dear old Scarlet just making alliances left and right] or underutilized [like Palawa Joko, Mursaat Lazarus and the literal God of War, Balthazar].

@Ephemiel.5694 said:

@Ephemiel.5694 said:I would've much rather THAT than the current Elder Dragons story because at least these beings would have a personality, not simply be a big dragon that eats magic and that's really it.

Problem is that Cthulhu or any of the other lovecraftian aliens aren't killed by cannons nor do we invade their minds to kill him, they're creatures so powerful and dark that even trying to think about putting together their reasonings would drive people insane. Here, we killed 2 dragons, a God and 2 more dragons would've died thanks to a machine had we not stopped it.

We’re talking personality/understandability/intentions here, not some kind DBZ power level thing. That’s where they are Lovecraftian and alien. Well, until we had all those chats with Modremoth. Kind of a bad choice there, Anet. Zhaitan has a much better vibe because we never interacted with it like that. Made it feel more alien...

Nothing. I don't trust them as game devs anymore. Their product is poorly serviced (balance updates how often? bug fixes when?), and constantly includes design elements that undercut themselves. It's like the game is designed by multiple committees, and they don't talk to each other. For example, the HOT release, with the fantastic meta-event system that made farming obsolete and gave a lot more depth to the zones and variety from play session to play session. Yet at the very same time, they locked all the zones behind masteries that you had to grind for days, forcing you to repeat the same content over and over and over. Why do something brilliant to fix a problem, and then deliberately destroy that solution so the problem comes back? They do this all the time.

And yet, in spite of all this, GW2 remains the best mmo on the market. Sigh. BTW that's an insult to other MMO's not a compliment to GW2.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

We’re talking personality/understandability/intentions here, not some kind DBZ power level thing.
That’s
where they are Lovecraftian and alien. Well, until we had all those chats with Modremoth. Kind of a bad choice there, Anet. Zhaitan has a much better vibe because we never interacted with it like that. Made it feel more alien...

I explained WHY they're not lovecraftian. Any lovecraftian feel we may have had was thrown out the window the moment we actually fought and killed one of them.

@Danikat.8537 said:I'd really like them to make a single-player RPG set during the last time the dragons rose. Players could choose to play as a mursaat, seer, forgotten, dwarf or jotun and play through that races attempt to stop the dragons or survive them. I'd love to see what Tyria was like back then (completely different obviously, but how?) and to actually experience their efforts against the dragons instead of just hearing about it from fragmented sources.

Of course it'd be pretty dark, knowing the best you can hope for is some fragment of your characters civilisation making it through, but I still think it would be an interesting game.

I was about to come say this, with a different time period though.

@Yannir.4132 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:I'd really like them to make a single-player RPG set during the last time the dragons rose. Players could choose to play as a mursaat, seer, forgotten, dwarf or jotun and play through that races attempt to stop the dragons or survive them. I'd love to see what Tyria was like back then (completely different obviously, but how?) and to actually experience their efforts against the dragons instead of just hearing about it from fragmented sources.

Of course it'd be pretty dark, knowing the best you can hope for is some fragment of your characters civilisation making it through, but I still think it would be an interesting game.

What time period would you want to see? There's so much history in Tyria we don't know much about, I think there's potential for several games, but the last dragon rising is the one I'm most curious about.

@Danikat.8537 said:

What time period would you want to see? There's so much history in Tyria we don't know much about, I think there's potential for several games, but the last dragon rising is the one I'm most curious about.

Mostly the Guild War period between Ascalon, Orr and Kryta. Before the first game.

The last dragonrise is, for me, a mythical period that I actually like being shrouded in mystery. I wouldn't say no to it but it wouldn't be my first choice. On the other hand would be interesting to see as it could be unrecognizable as Tyria as the events can be seen as extinction-level. Everything, the animals, monsters, races right down to geography could be completely different to what we know. In other words, a completely different game.

@Ephemiel.5694 said:

We’re talking personality/understandability/intentions here, not some kind DBZ power level thing.
That’s
where they are Lovecraftian and alien. Well, until we had all those chats with Modremoth. Kind of a bad choice there, Anet. Zhaitan has a much better vibe because we never interacted with it like that. Made it feel more alien...

I explained WHY they're not lovecraftian. Any lovecraftian feel we may have had was thrown out the window the moment we actually fought and killed one of them.

That’s silly. Lovecraftian monsters are killed by mere humans all the time - even in his old stories.

I'd prefer a single player ARPG, but an MMO is fine in my book so long as it's solo/casual friendly. There's so much fantasy out there, but not a lot of sci-fi that doesn't involve mechs or spaceship piloting. So anything futuristic, or steampunk in space or whatever works for me. Maybe Guild Wars in space a few thousand years in the future? Exploring planets on the ground, finding new territory and new cultures...

Archived