Some of the Gold times needed for the new races are ridiculous

Will.9785

I really do like the idea of more races across Tyria, especially with the beetle since it’s fun to speed around so much. Maelstrom was extremely satisfying when I finally did it right! I was super happy and felt accomplished. Gendarran felt a bit easy, but it was full-throttle fun. Diessa annoyed me for a bit with all of the trees but, again, I was proud when I got it right.

I’ve been sitting here with Snowden and Brisban for several hours each now. I’m not enjoying them. They’re frustrating. Snowden in particular—my best time so far is 32.120 seconds. I should’ve had it, but I was probably a single frame off.

I love my beetle and I love racing, but really? .120 too late? :(

@Kinvi.4629 said:I really do like the idea of more races across Tyria, especially with the beetle since it’s fun to speed around so much. Maelstrom was extremely satisfying when I finally did it right! I was super happy and felt accomplished. Gendarran felt a bit easy, but it was full-throttle fun. Diessa annoyed me for a bit with all of the trees but, again, I was proud when I got it right.

I’ve been sitting here with Snowden and Brisban for several hours each now. I’m not enjoying them. They’re frustrating. Snowden in particular—my best time so far is 32.120 seconds. I should’ve had it, but I was probably a single frame off.

I think I had a Mt Maelstrom attempt which missed gold by 0.040. Luckily my guild has their profanity filter on...

Last night I was 1.8 seconds off on Brisbane, the last of the 5 new tracks I wanted gold on. A day after release, I hit 234.2 secs 2 mins before the patch notice.

I'd rather they devote their time to more tracks instead of nerfing ones they released yesterday. These things are a permanent feature afterall, they're good for previously low pop maps, it adds achievement points and new skins, it peaks interest in the beetle in this case and as a result brings life back to maps and events required for the beetle collection.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"Kinvi.4629" said:I really do like the idea of more races across Tyria, especially with the beetle since it’s fun to speed around so much. Maelstrom was extremely satisfying when I finally did it right! I was super happy and felt accomplished. Gendarran felt a bit easy, but it was full-throttle fun. Diessa annoyed me for a bit with all of the trees but, again, I was proud when I got it right.

I’ve been sitting here with Snowden and Brisban for several hours each now. I’m not
enjoying
them. They’re frustrating. Snowden in particular—my best time so far is
32.120 seconds
. I should’ve had it, but I was probably a single frame off.

I think I had a Mt Maelstrom attempt which missed gold by 0.040. Luckily my guild has their profanity filter on...

I have you beat. I hit the time and still did not get it (on a different map).

https://i.imgur.com/nECdXYD.jpg

@Burn.5401 said:Thousands of players are already beating gold by a large margin and of course people on forums are whining for nerfs. The excuses for the Halloween one was that it's an annual event, I wonder what the current one is? My hand hurts?

Thousands? You might want to check the leaderboards again. I'd say mid-high hundreds of people have gotten gold in all 5 at best. The top spot for Jormag is less than 3 seconds shorter than the gold time. I don't think you can call less than 3 seconds a wide margin.

@Will.9785 said:

@Burn.5401 said:Thousands of players are already beating gold by a large margin and of course people on forums are whining for nerfs. The excuses for the Halloween one was that it's an annual event, I wonder what the current one is? My hand hurts?

Thousands? You might want to check the leaderboards again. I'd say mid-high hundreds of people have gotten gold in all 5 at best. The top spot for Jormag is less than 3 seconds shorter than the gold time. I don't think you can call less than 3 seconds a wide margin.

The key to the jormag one is to drift that final corner and still have a boost right after for the final stretch. It's fairly simple.

If you look at the rankings, you can see that at least 1K players have gotten gold in them.

I didnt have much problems with Mount Malestrom. it was fairly easy after some attempts. brisban im still struggling a little with as I keep making a few mistakes here and there getting me seconds short of gold. I dont feel gold on the courses is a timer issue. its more about getting familiar with the course and your skill with the beetle.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

The key to the jormag one is to drift that final corner and still have a boost right after for the final stretch. It's fairly simple.

If you look at the rankings, you can see that at least 1K players have gotten gold in them.

I got gold, and the top player is 3 seconds in front of me. Theres not much wiggle room on that race.

@Dante.1763 said:

I got gold, and the top player is 3 seconds in front of me. Theres not much wiggle room on that race.

What this tells me, then, is that the times required aren't ridiculous, but that, instead, people need to practice more.

I am convinced that the race clock is running faster than actual time. Many times now I have felt like I had a good run but missed gold by several seconds.

The start points for a few races need adjusted. Like the Diessa race that starts you behind a freakin' stump with the course taking off at an angle.

Drifting needs better control. Using the C key feels more awkward than eating salad in front of a Sylvari, and any other key which would be comfortable to use with the left hand while maintaining normal WASD control is already bound to something else. I would simply tie drifting to the camera view so that when you're trying to turn above a certain speed, you drift automatically.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

What this tells me, then, is that the times required aren't ridiculous, but that, instead, people need to practice more.

perhaps, i think an extra second on a few of these races wouldnt be overkill for making it to easy.

@Jimbru.6014 said:

1. I am convinced that the race clock is running faster than actual time. Many times now I have felt like I had a good run but missed gold by several seconds.
  2. The start points for a few races need adjusted. Like the Diessa race that starts you behind a freakin' stump with the course taking off at an angle.
  3. Drifting needs better control. Using the C key feels more awkward than eating salad in front of a Sylvari, and any other key which would be comfortable to use with the left hand while maintaining normal WASD control is already bound to something else. I would simply tie drifting to the camera view so that when you're trying to turn above a certain speed, you drift automatically.

2.) the Diessa race absolutely i agree with that, the starting point is terrible

3.) i temporarily assign my drift key to space bar when im racing, still doesnt engage everytime but it got me gold on all the races.

@"Dante.1763” said:3.) i temporarily assign my drift key to space bar when im racing, still doesnt engage everytime but it got me gold on all the races.

I’ve got drift bound to my mouse temporarily, and it is helping slightly, but I still struggle. Having drift as a more accessible key is a good idea.

A few extra seconds would be cool. Trying to do frame-perfect inputs with 12 or less FPS is a nightmare and not how I envisioned spending half of these races.

(And that tree stump in Diessa? Gross! With you there.)

Y'know, I'd probably have gold in Brisban by now, but the map instance I've been stuck in has a mimosa sapling spawned right in the crux of the last root you need to speed under before hitting the finish line. I didn't really appreciate this fact until now, but resource nodes like saplings? They have collision. RNGesus strikes again!

@agnostAnts.7065 said:Y'know, I'd probably have gold in Brisban by now, but the map instance I've been stuck in has a mimosa sapling spawned right in the crux of the last root you need to speed under before hitting the finish line. I didn't really appreciate this fact until now, but resource nodes like saplings? They have collision. RNGesus strikes again!

Yeah. Your best option there is to save your boost and prepare for a hard turn and go around the root entirely. Use your boost as soon as you can. You do lose valuable seconds regardless though.

Should've sacrificed something to RNGsus, but I ran out of firstborns.

@Dante.1763 said:

Well the only challenge on that map is the final corner you must drift so there’s no need for the buffer to be much greater than that otherwise people wouldn’t need to drift it.

You know, earlier I said I was working on getting gold in Brisban and Snowden. Got them today. I am loving my new scarf and it was well worth the effort. I learned new tricks and things about using the roller beetle and feel I can handle it much better! That's a great thing, you know.

Just get better! Everyone can do it.

I was interested to discover that according to gw2efficiency -- I know, I know -- more players have the golden scarf than the regular scarf. To me, that says players were more interested in the more challenging content than the 'participation' content. Perhaps anet would do well by its players to introduce more challenging content moving forward as well . . .

@Gop.8713 said:I was interested to discover that according to gw2efficiency -- I know, I know -- more players have the golden scarf than the regular scarf. To me, that says players were more interested in the more challenging content than the 'participation' content. Perhaps anet would do well by its players to introduce more challenging content moving forward as well . . .Or it could just mean that have the participation trophy as their goal aren't there yet because they won't (or can't) spend hours on beetle races on day 1.

Personally I'm hoping to get that scarf (the regular one, not the gold one), but can't devote a lot of time to racing for the simple fact that every track with a chance to get stuck on something will make me violently sick. I made it through the dailies for the first couple of days by timing the offending races (Maelstrom and Brisban for days 1+2) so that I had a few hours to lie down afterwards, and I'm not exaggerating. If I wasn't hoping for the scarf and some of those tonics I wouldn't have tried at all. Beetle races are fun, but for those of us that tend towards motion sickness every time the flow of movement breaks the fun has to be carefully enjoyed in small time frames.

@agnostAnts.7065 said:Y'know, I'd probably have gold in Brisban by now, but the map instance I've been stuck in has a mimosa sapling spawned right in the crux of the last root you need to speed under before hitting the finish line. I didn't really appreciate this fact until now, but resource nodes like saplings? They have collision. RNGesus strikes again!

Gather it then and remove the collision? Obviously.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

Gather it then and remove the collision? Obviously.As far as I'm aware gathered tree stumps have the same collision as full saplings.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

Gather it then and remove the collision? Obviously.As far as I'm aware gathered tree stumps have the same collision as full saplings.

I gathered it yesterday to remove it and could pass through that section as I normally would.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@Gop.8713 said:I was interested to discover that according to gw2efficiency -- I know, I know -- more players have the golden scarf than the regular scarf. To me, that says players were more interested in the more challenging content than the 'participation' content. Perhaps anet would do well by its players to introduce more challenging content moving forward as well . . .Or it could just mean that have the participation trophy as their goal aren't there yet because they won't (or can't) spend hours on beetle races on day 1.It doesn't take very long to do the participation cheeve. It's only fifteen laps and you can do them with the time trial, don't have to wait for the races. Given that even on the easiest courses the players that have achieved the golden scarf would only be a few more laps away from the regular scarf it would appear that once they achieved gold on a course many actually ignored the regular cheeve and moved on to the more challenging cheeve, so a more reasonable interpretation of the data would be that more players preferred the more challenging content . . .

Ofc the content is just a few days old now and the data will likely change over time with more players obtaining the regular scarf, which if true would indicate to me that more players who play a lot preferred the more challenging content while more of the infrequent players preferred the more casual content, which would be less surprising . . .