[Feature request] Disabling minipets in Settings

My personal opinion is that minipets are pretty useless in game and do absolutely nothing but could look cute and follow you around.That is why I would like to have this feature, especially since I dont have the strongest graphic card in my laptop (since GW2 is the only game I play in my limited free time), because those pixels adds up when there are a lot of people in map ^^Plus when I hold Ctrl or Alt to see names of players or npcs I am looking for their names pop up as well (dont remember anymore to what do they count as) and there are just some extra nemes on my screen that do not mean anything.

Believe this is very easy feature to implement, but to me or many some other people would mean a lot and the rest could have it enabled in Settings and would not notice the difference.Thank you in advance!

There are a lot of cosmetic 'features' I'd like to disable on other players but unfortunately those cosmetics drive gems sales and the ppl who buy them buy them so other players can see them. And since that lets me play the game for free after initial purchase, I'll live with it . . .

@"Gop.8713" said:There are a lot of cosmetic 'features' I'd like to disable on other players but unfortunately those cosmetics drive gems sales and the ppl who buy them buy them so other players can see them. And since that lets me play the game for free after initial purchase, I'll live with it . . .

I see your point, but all other cosmetic features you can buy on gem store are just replacement for something else less "fancy" (glider, armor, weapon skins, gathering tools etc) while minipets are just extra objects on the map that you can select and see their names...

• Like 1

@banJelacic.4201 said:

@"Gop.8713" said:There are a lot of cosmetic 'features' I'd like to disable on other players but unfortunately those cosmetics drive gems sales and the ppl who buy them buy them so other players can see them. And since that lets me play the game for free after initial purchase, I'll live with it . . .

I see your point, but all other cosmetic features you can buy on gem store are just replacement for something else less "fancy" (glider, armor, weapon skins, gathering tools etc) while minipets are just extra objects on the map that you can select and see their names...

I agree. Honestly minipets should be disabled in WvW.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

I agree. Honestly minipets should be disabled in WvW.

I mean I disable mine but if the bad guys want to leave theirs on I'm not going to complain . . .

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:minipets should be disabled in WvW.

I don't see why WvWarriors shouldn't get to choose their bling

However, I wonder what impact disabling minis for everyone in WvW would have on performance. We know that minis are culled when there's a lot going on, so it likely wouldn't affect Zerg v. Zerg. Even so, I think it would be worth turning them off for a week to see what people think (especially if this were combined with a bonus WXP/Bonus reward track weekend).

The game does already hide mini pets when a map is close to full, as a way of improving performance. But I'm not sure how effective hiding them just on your screen would be, since it would have to be done client side it's another process for your computer to run - less demand on the graphics card maybe but another thing for the processor to do, and the end result of those two might be little/no improvement.

I certainly wouldn't object to Anet adding the option, but I wouldn't count on it as a fix for low-end machines.

@Gop.8713 said:There are a lot of cosmetic 'features' I'd like to disable on other players but unfortunately those cosmetics drive gems sales and the ppl who buy them buy them so other players can see them. And since that lets me play the game for free after initial purchase, I'll live with it . . .

That's a pretty broad assumption to make. I've bought a lot of cosmetic items from the gem store (especially mini pets) but I couldn't care less if anyone else sees them. I buy them for me to enjoy, not for other people.

@Danikat.8537 said:The game does already hide mini pets when a map is close to full, as a way of improving performance. But I'm not sure how effective hiding them just on your screen would be, since it would have to be done client side it's another process for your computer to run - less demand on the graphics card maybe but another thing for the processor to do, and the end result of those two might be little/no improvement.

I certainly wouldn't object to Anet adding the option, but I wouldn't count on it as a fix for low-end machines.

@Gop.8713 said:There are a lot of cosmetic 'features' I'd like to disable on other players but unfortunately those cosmetics drive gems sales and the ppl who buy them buy them so other players can see them. And since that lets me play the game for free after initial purchase, I'll live with it . . .

That's a pretty broad assumption to make. I've bought a lot of cosmetic items from the gem store (especially mini pets) but I couldn't care less if anyone else sees them. I buy them for me to enjoy, not for other people.

But what you do isn't relevant, you're just one person. What matters is that anet makes money off ppl who buy cosmetics from the gemstore and fewer cosmetics would be sold if the ppl buying them knew other players had the option to avoid seeing them . . .

If there weren't ANY players who cared about whether other players could see their cosmetics you would have a point, but there are . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:The game does already hide mini pets when a map is close to full, as a way of improving performance. But I'm not sure how effective hiding them just on your screen would be, since it would have to be done client side it's another process for your computer to run - less demand on the graphics card maybe but another thing for the processor to do, and the end result of those two might be little/no improvement.

But what you do isn't relevant, you're just one person. What matters is that anet makes money off ppl who buy cosmetics from the gemstore and fewer cosmetics would be sold if the ppl buying them knew other players had the option to avoid seeing them . . .

If there weren't ANY players who cared about whether other players could see their cosmetics you would have a point, but there are . . .

That goes both ways: how many people are there who really won't buy cosmetics if they know that not everyone would buy them? Clearly there are some. Is it a big enough group that ANet would notice a decline in sales?

I think the more likely reason is that it never occurred to ANet that people wouldn't want to see effects, bling, toys, auras, etc and so it's not built into the game. And it's problematic to retrofit the code to allow the option. When dealing with human bureaucracy, a lot of things can be explained with the simple, "because we've always done it that way."

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

That goes both ways: how many people are there who really won't buy cosmetics if they know that not everyone would buy them? Clearly there are some. Is it a big enough group that ANet would notice a decline in sales?I would say yes, but you're entitled to disagree. Neither of us knows . . .

I think the more likely reason is that it never occurred to ANet that people wouldn't want to see effects, bling, toys, auras, etc and so it's not built into the game. And it's problematic to retrofit the code to allow the option. When dealing with human bureaucracy, a lot of things can be explained with the simple, "because we've always done it that way."

@"Gop.8713" said:I would say yes, but you're entitled to disagree.I don't disagree. Rather, my view is this:Since we lack any data to help us decide, it might not be useful to worry about in discussing whether a global "no mini" option is good for the game.

It hardly makes sense to assume that "showing off" is a major factor driving gem sales, just as it hardly makes sense to assume that it doesn't; we lack enough information to evaluate it.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Gop.8713" said:I would say yes, but you're entitled to disagree.I don't disagree. Rather, my view is this:Since we lack any data to help us decide, it might not be useful to worry about in discussing whether a global "no mini" option is good for the game.

It hardly makes sense to assume that "showing off" is a major factor driving gem sales, just as it hardly makes sense to assume that it doesn't; we lack enough information to evaluate it.

I disagree . . .

@"Gop.8713" said:But what you do isn't relevant, you're just one person. What matters is that anet makes money off ppl who buy cosmetics from the gemstore and fewer cosmetics would be sold if the ppl buying them knew other players had the option to avoid seeing them . . .

We already have the option to avoid seeing a lot of cosmetics from the Gem Store. If you go to "Options" then "Graphic Options" and then set "Character Model Quality" to "Lowest", you won't see other player characters' armors or outfits or mount skins. So that's three categories of cosmetics that we can choose to not see.

Likewise, if you go to "Sound Options", you can turn off the sound of player instruments. And yet, people still bought the instruments, even knowing that other players had the option to avoid hearing them.

I would like our current options to also include hiding backpacks, weapons, infusions, gliders and chairs, so we would have the best possible performance and the lowest possible visual pollution. The suggestions in my signature would be really nice to have, too. But we at least can hide some things.

@Erasculio.2914 said:

@"Gop.8713" said:But what you do isn't relevant, you're just one person. What matters is that anet makes money off ppl who buy cosmetics from the gemstore and fewer cosmetics would be sold if the ppl buying them knew other players had the option to avoid seeing them . . .

We already have the option to avoid seeing a lot of cosmetics from the Gem Store. If you go to "Options" then "Graphic Options" and then set "Character Model Quality" to "Lowest", you won't see other player characters' armors or outfits or mount skins. So that's three categories of cosmetics that we can choose to not see.

Likewise, if you go to "Sound Options", you can turn off the sound of player instruments. And yet, people still bought the instruments, even knowing that other players had the option to avoid hearing them.

I would like our current options to also include hiding backpacks, weapons, infusions, gliders and chairs, so we would have the best possible performance and the lowest possible visual pollution. The suggestions in my signature would be really nice to have, too. But we at least can hide some things.

Yeah I use the sound filters though I wish I could make them more specific. I don't use the visual filters in pve bc to me I lose too much of what I do want to see. And between enhancing the filters and anet making money, I'd rather anet make money and just live with the clutter. That's me tho . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

Late reply, but I wonder if you'd have said the same if I had agreed with you? You are also just one person and in no better position to speak for everyone who buys mini pets than I am. And yet you're willing to set yourself up to speak for everyone except me and tell us what their reasons are for buying them.

Fact is neither of us can know for sure, even Anet can't be certain because they've never asked each individual if it matters to them that other people see their pets and it's an extremely difficult thing to infer from the data they do have. I think it's unlikely I'm the only person in the world who buys silly cosmetic items for my own enjoyment rather than hoping a stranger will be impressed I bought it,

But I also think it's not entirely relevant to this feature request. The people who would turn off are people who don't like seeing mini pets, and therefore not the target 'audience' for those who buy mini pets to show off to other people. They are effectively losing nothing. People who like seeing other players mini pets will keep it on. (And people who imagine that everyone likes seeing their mini pet will likely image that therefore no one will use this feature and they again lose nothing by having it available.)

Half my characters got a miniature matching their theme, e.g. my Olmakhan having a Mini Elemental Hydra as Starcaller Offspring, my Djinn-friend Necro has an Aqua Jackal Pup, my dark Mesmer main has Oxidecimus; if you disable everything that's cosmetic, your left with a bunch of silhouettes all looking the same; with the endgame of this basically being fashion wars, I'd call this wrong.

• Like 1

That is why I said to have it as a flag in settings.They can have it as enabled by default so most of the users will still have it on and everyone will be able to see it.

And as others mentioned already, the ones that will turn them off do not care about minipets anyway - me personally as well and have not spend a since gold on buying minipet and do not have any displayed and since I personally do not care about them would not even notice them matching your outfit or which one it is or if you bought it for 5000g or got it as a gift from GW2 as default like everyone else...So even if someone starts bragging to me personally about some minipet I would probably think that they could have spend those gold/money better in my eyes but to each their own.

And I dont think all fashion items or effects should be disabled in game because game looks much nicer with them and so we all do not look exactly the same and they are just skins so you have to have something plus they are here for bragging rights.But minipets are extra objects rendered on my screen and that need to be processed plus they are completely useless and that is why I would want an option to just turn them off.