Thank you for new Skyscale skin!

@Dalec.9853 said:To the player buying gold with gems, the thing they are buying - that they have put value in to be worth that exchange of money - is the gold (or you could say the time/effort saved for them to acquire that gold), not the ability for someone else to be buying gems with gold; the gold has 0 value to arenanet, so the buying a skin from the store with it is buying something with nothing really.

I'll repeat it once again: ANET created a system where some players can purchase gems from the store with cash and then sell them to other players for gold. This enables the player to essentially buy gold while at the same time allowing the other player to buy gems without having to spend real money. This increases participation in the game from both parties.

And apparently, it works. GW2 remains a profitable game. So what is the point in trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist? Believe me, when it comes to generating revenue, they know more than you do. After all, they are running a multi-million dollar gaming company, I'm sure they don't need the financial advice from some rando posting on their forums.

You want to support the game? Great. You want to do that by buying gems with your money? Great. Instead you want to support them by buying gems with gold, enabling players who are willing to spend money on gems to also support ANET? Equally great.

Removing the ability for players to buy gems with gold doesn't guarantee those players will start buying gems with real money. Equally, removing that ability doesn't mean that players who sold gems for gold will start to spend time grinding out the resources they need in game. There remains a good chance numbers from both parties will lose interest in the game and leave for other titles.

The question of whether the prices ANET is asking for are fair is a separate issue, to which I will say, the price they are asking for appears to be fine as people are buying items from the store. There is no moralistic discussion to be had here. The price of the goods sold is equal to what the market will accept. If players are unwilling to pay 2000 gems for a skin, they wouldn't, and ANET would realize that and change their pricing structure. But they haven't, because players are willing to pay the price for those goods.

Some of those 2000 gem skin purchases are done by players who spent money in the store direct, while other purchases came from player who used in game gold to buy gems other players purchased, and then sold to the player base. IN BOTH CASES, the gems used to purchase the 2000 gem skin were paid for with real money, going straight into ANET's pocket.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Dalec.9853 said:To the player buying gold with gems, the thing they are buying - that they have put value in to be worth that exchange of money - is the gold (or you could say the time/effort saved for them to acquire that gold), not the ability for someone else to be buying gems with gold; the gold has 0 value to arenanet, so the buying a skin from the store with it is buying something with nothing really.

I'll repeat it once again: ANET created a system where some players can purchase gems from the store with cash and then sell them to other players for gold.Equally, removing that ability doesn't mean that players who sold gems for gold will start to spend time grinding out the resources they need in game.

Gold isn't real, hell the gems aren't real either, it's a number that can just be plucked out of nowhere by anet if they wish, just because the system currently works that way doesn't mean it'd be impossible to have a gems to gold system without gold to gems if they wished (I guess as the game dies off slowly over time you think we'll start seeing a 'sorry not enough gems/gold to trade' error on the exchange then right?)

As for how arenanet are doing, well other games and gaming services are massively more popular and successful than GW2, so pretty sure the market has spoken in a way - we're talking about the full game not F2P remember as skins don't matter to them; there has to be plenty of players put off by the game cost+gem costs for what they'd want, or just play and decide to not buy gems as it is so out of line with the what the rest of the gaming market offers. If you really think GW2 couldn't be more successful then we'd be hearing about it constantly: unique players hours spent events completed etc as companies love to show off when all is great.Just because they're not begging to keep the power on we're going to pretend the job losses didn't happen then - couldn't be all great at Arenanet to need to cancel all projects and cut staff in such a way if all was fine behind the scenes.

Edit: and just give me a damn 2000 gems purchase option in game, not codes to redeem before anyone says.

@Blur.3465 said:I just want to express how happy I am with new Skyscale skin!I instantly bought it and I don't regret it one bit. The dragon is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!Thank you so much ANet, you've made my day from a really gloomy and sad one to an absolutely happy one with this!I love this dragon so much now!Amazing artists/designers as always!

Ur thanking anet, for letting u to send them money lol.

Can we stick to the topic guys?

Show off your new Skyscale skin and how you dyed it! :)I don't want this topic to turn into a 'money' debate; as I want to keep it a cheerful topic where people who are happy with new skin can show it off and discuss about it nicely.

@ixora.3569 said:If only the mount was more easily attainable then more people would actually buy your skins and keep arena net afloat.

I do not get it? You said you had no intention of getting the mount, you do not even have time to get the WvW mount which you said is the only game mode you even like so why do you care so much about the skyscale? If you don't like playing other games besides WvW and you hate WvW now because you need a mount and you have no time to get the WvW mount I can't see why you are even be attempting to get this new one? Alos why do you think anet neets to be kept afloat? They layoffs had more to do with reorganizing and priortazing then lack of money.

@Blur.3465 said:Can we stick to the topic guys?

Show off your new Skyscale skin and how you dyed it! :)I don't want this topic to turn into a 'money' debate; as I want to keep it a cheerful topic where people who are happy with new skin can show it off and discuss about it nicely.

Well as it's been said yeah it's a bit weird to be thanking them for letting you spend as in the first post but showing off isn't, maybe the price bit could be split to another thread by mods?

@Dalec.9853 said:

@"Blur.3465" said:Can we stick to the topic guys?

Well as it's been said yeah it's a bit weird to be thanking them for letting you spend as in the first post but showing off isn't, maybe the price bit could be split to another thread by mods?

I'm sorry but...how is thanking devs for making something I like weird? As I mentioned, it made my day and made me happy to pay for something I like.I believe a couple of comments here responded to this more than well in this thread.I'm more than happy to support the company by buying products I like and thanking them for making them up to my taste and in great quality.People often leave feedback on products don't they?

I'm a little baffled at these types of questions, honestly XD

Regardless, made another dye combination, resembling HoMM3 Green Dragon :) (I play with Shaders on Medium, so I'm not getting the annoying pink hue that resembles iridescent glow of dragonfly wings)

gw302.jpg

gw303.jpg

@Blur.3465 said:

I'm sorry but...how is thanking devs for making something I like weird? As I mentioned, it made my day and made me happy to pay for something I like.I believe a couple of comments here responded to this more than well in this thread.I'm more than happy to support the company by buying products I like and thanking them for making them up to my taste and in great quality.People often leave feedback on products don't they?

Regardless, made another dye combination, resembling HoMM3 Green Dragon :) (I play with Shaders on Medium, so I'm not getting the annoying pink hue that resembles iridescent glow of dragonfly wings)

gw302.jpg

gw303.jpg

Very nice and no of course as you say it isn't in the slightest bit weird to say "thank you" for designing a cool skin to buy

Out of curiosity I turned my shaders on. My beautiful natural colourings went into some sort of hideously gaudy pink monstrosity. I hope no one with high shaders ever sees my mount lol

@Randulf.7614 said:

Very nice.

Out of curiosity I turned my shaders on. My beautiful natural colourings went into some sort of hideously gaudy pink monstrosity. I hope no one with high shaders ever sees my mount lol

Yeeeep, I totally feel you XD when I turn shaders on High with my dye palette, my mount turns into a pink monstrosity too! I hope not many people play with shaders on high!I prefer shaders on medium in any case, as it's golden middle. Everything looks wet and too bright with shaders on high anyway >>

@Randulf.7614 said:

gw302.jpg

gw303.jpg

Very nice and no of course as you say it isn't in the slightest bit weird to say "thank you" for designing a cool skin to buy

I switched from mediun to high shaders for that iridescent glow xD. It shimmers

@ixora.3569 said:If only the mount was more easily attainable then more people would actually buy your skins and keep arena net afloat.

I'm really tired of people harping on this as though it's still an issue. Anet changed the timegate to accommodate those who felt it was excessive down to 2 hours. I have my skyscale. I had it within a week of release and that was before that adjustment. It's perfectly obtainable, and the 'worst case scenarios' of people who can only play an hour a week are nowhere near the norm. It is obtainable; it just takes effort. If someone doesn't want to invest the effort or time, that's on them, not Anet.

Comments like this make me want to go ahead and buy the thing just to give Anet more money.

@Starfall Leyline.2481 said:

I'm really tired of people harping on this as though it's still an issue. Anet changed the timegate to accommodate those who felt it was excessive down to 2 hours. I have my skyscale. I had it within a week of release and that was
before
that adjustment. It's perfectly obtainable, and the 'worst case scenarios' of people who can only play an hour a week are nowhere near the norm. It is obtainable; it just takes effort. If someone doesn't want to invest the effort or time, that's on them, not Anet.

Comments like this make me want to go ahead and buy the thing just to give Anet more money.

Hey its your money , do what you want. Me im a bit more practical.

@Zuldari.3940 said:

@"ixora.3569" said:If only the mount was more easily attainable then more people would actually buy your skins and keep arena net afloat.

I'm really tired of people harping on this as though it's still an issue. Anet changed the timegate to accommodate those who felt it was excessive down to 2 hours. I have my skyscale. I had it within a week of release and that was
before
that adjustment. It's perfectly obtainable, and the 'worst case scenarios' of people who can only play an hour a week are nowhere near the norm. It is obtainable; it just takes effort. If someone doesn't want to invest the effort or time, that's on them, not Anet.

Hey its your money , do what you want. Me im a bit more practical.

Yeah, that's fair, heh. The skin has grown on me since I first saw it, so I do "kind of" want it. Like some others, I prefer/was hoping for a more traditional, regal western dragon. I don't necessarily want something sinister, just something regal and stocky (and purely a dragon instead of a variant). I'm out AP hunting to get to my next massive chest for 400 gems so I can get the rest I need with gold. I have seen some really pretty variations on this skin, and some more 'serious' versions too.

About that pink: Yes, it made dyeing a challenge if I didn't want pink (I do keep high shaders on). Especially since the color shifts based on viewing angle so it can all suddenly flash pink when you never put any pink in. But after dyeing 25 of them, I found some tricks.

A number of blue dyes will get green instead of pink as the iridescent color. White dyes stay white. Some gold/brown dyes will also work, but not all; oranges seem very prone to shading to pink. Darker purples will at least purple out the pink. And there seems to be some interplay between the bottom two color slots (membranes and filigree) such that if you do a darker filigree you can tame some of the pink. You also get subtler gradations with the fancier dyes, the Black Lion ones.

It's too late at night for me to get 25 good screenshots and load them in Discord to share links here, but perhaps tomorrow I will be able to link some of my non-pink ones (some of my alts are very happy to have vivid pinks) and share their dye schemes. I'd like to help others seize control of their skyscale coloring!

@"Teratus.2859" said:This skin is just so photogenic [...]

I find it unusual how dye channel 3 (i.e., the wings' "cell pattern") is so light-dependent (also depending on the angle). Some colors change so drastically, one really has to tinker a lot to find the coloring that goes well under any circumstances.

@Edelweiss.4261 said:This new skin is tempting me to login even though I have a fever. ='(

Be better soon!

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:I'm beginning to wish dye templates were a thing.

I've wished it a good long while. My solution is to keep a Word document listing all the dyes used for each character's outfits and mounts. It's not as good as a one-click swap of color, but at least I have a record of my choices so I can quickly find and apply a proven good set of dyes if I change what I'm wearing or riding and don't have time to try out new combinations.

An example portion of one alt's mounts (order is top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right):JACKALS -- JinX Banded MysticCozy – Sage, Evergreen, Glint’s Isolation, Midnight YewCrowned AncientPolished StonePrimeval – Grave, Shadow Abyss, Glint’s Isolation, CharredPyroclastShrine Guardian – Tarnished Silver, Gold Fusion, Acrid, PyreSpooky -- Sage, Evergreen, Glint’s Isolation, Midnight YewVabbian Lightpaw – Carnage Orange, Bloody Red, Midnight Bronze, Flare