Upcoming Balance Notes - 10/1/2019

Irenio CalmonHuang.2048

@Lich King.1524 said:

Warrior's Cunning: This new trait increases damage by 25% against foes with health above 90%. Additionally, it increases damage by 50% against foes that have barrier. These bonuses do not stack.

Huge nerf to Weavers because of that! Why so big increase? Warrior even now can one-shot Weaver,
THIS CHANGE IS VERY UNHEALTHY
since weaver has a little barrier every 5-10 sec...

Make a cap, like applicable if target has more than 2000 barrier...

The extra dps vs barrier will be great to combat ele's op sustain and if u dont think they dont have crazy sustain and dps I dono what to tell u

@Sojourner.4621 said:

@Jasonbdj.4021 said:RIP scourge, ANet did the opposite that people asked for nerfing it in PvE and PvP more but buffed in WvW.

It's not buffed in WvW. Its damage at a range is... sorta buffed because it hits more people. However, what made scourge truly bad in WvW was the fact that it was able to support its sub squad with barrier pulses from sand shade at the same time as dealing all of its damage. It did all the DPS with absolutely zero sacrifice in utility. I specifically ran a power burst blood/barrier scourge that did easily 20-30k aoe damage bursts while still applying barrier to my entire havoc. THIS is what made them broken in WvW... HOWEVER... most of that barrier came from sand shade pulses of some kind.

By making the necro pulse zero of the sand shade skills on itself once a shade is placed, it forces you to choose between support and damage rather than getting both at once all the time with no effort. At BEST you can place two small shades away and one next to you but it still won't provide near the damage or support that big shade bombs did in WvW previously. And for the condi builds, you have to invest pretty heavily in to condi damage, which means you're not taking the barrier skills. This is a definite step in the right direction.

Press f3 before f1 when you bomb with the new patch. Now you barrier 10 targets in melee range AND deal damage to 10 targets at 900 range. This patch is a 50% damage buff AND a 30% barrier buff.

The exact opposite of what they were going for, reducing how oppressive scourge is in wvw zergs. With the added bonus of destroying the class in pvp and pve. This change screams incompetence

I'm just speaking to any dev who may or may not read or hear about this. Not trying to start a conversation with any other player at all. I only play WvW when I need to, I never PvP and I don't raid consistently. I have some physical limitations with motor skills and reaction times due to age and some health concerns. I still manage to enjoy this game though. I have two Necromancers currently fitted out as a Healing Magi Scourge and as a Power/Condi Scourge Minion build. The latter is effective and fun for me especially in solo contexts.

I understand that one can use multiple shades to offset some of these changes to some degree, but Sand Savant as it is really made this class fun for me. I play other professions of course which are far more challenging, but I enjoyed the ease of movement and yes, faceroll quality of some PVE game play with my current Shade abilities. I don't care about your PVP/WvW balancing needs. If you can't leave these changes entirely in those realms, then leave them as they are until you can code it without it all turning into some bad mess of spaghetti.

Anyway, that is just my opinion. I can't remember ever posting a comment about profession changes. I doubt I ever will again. Regardless, I felt I had to in this instance. I suspect I will just learn to deal with the changes, and if they prove too clunky for me to enjoy, then I suppose Reaper might be in need of a revisit. OR perhaps even a NEW Elite Spec? Yeah, that last thought might be something to consider though since you can't manage to "balance" WvW/PvP without it cutting into PVE, then I highly doubt you have the wherewithal or even the staff to work on new Elite Specs not to mention an xpac.

That's all.

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@Jasonbdj.4021 said:RIP scourge, ANet did the opposite that people asked for nerfing it in PvE and PvP more but buffed in WvW.

It's not buffed in WvW. Its damage at a range is... sorta buffed because it hits more people. However, what made scourge truly bad in WvW was the fact that it was able to support its sub squad with barrier pulses from sand shade at the same time as dealing all of its damage. It did all the DPS with absolutely zero sacrifice in utility. I specifically ran a power burst blood/barrier scourge that did easily 20-30k aoe damage bursts while still applying barrier to my entire havoc. THIS is what made them broken in WvW... HOWEVER... most of that barrier came from sand shade pulses of some kind.

By making the necro pulse zero of the sand shade skills on itself once a shade is placed, it forces you to choose between support and damage rather than getting both at once all the time with no effort. At BEST you can place two small shades away and one next to you but it still won't provide near the damage or support that big shade bombs did in WvW previously. And for the condi builds, you have to invest pretty heavily in to condi damage, which means you're not taking the barrier skills. This is a definite step in the right direction.

Press f3 before f1 when you bomb with the new patch. Now you barrier 10 targets in melee range AND deal damage to 10 targets at 900 range. This patch is a 50% damage buff AND a 30% barrier buff.

The exact opposite of what they were going for, reducing how oppressive scourge is in wvw zergs. With the added bonus of destroying the class in pvp and pve. This change screams incompetence

Exactly, with the new changes and the added 50% damage bonus to anyone with a barrier on the warriors no one should ever run a scourge in pvp, which is great news for the all-in-one builds like Soulbeast, Holo etc.

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:Man the reaction to the scourge changes really shows how much people have gotten used to and are relying on pure brainless spam gameplay. Any change to shades requiring tactical placement and thought will be hated by the community lol. I'm glad there trying to finaly address the scourge spam as it definitely needed to be addressed tho this may not be the best way. Hopefully they can find away to address the issue without making it so clunky in pvp and pve. Wvw it needs further nerfed as they changes solved nothing.

In my experience, having played both and many other's, Scourge takes a lot more skill than Holo and such.Not in terms of skill activations, but because Necro just doesn't have many good tools there aside from damage, so just in terms of positioning in which regard it's probably the most tactics intensive thing to play.

While other classes get plentiful get out of jail free cards, be it full directional blocks, Invulnerability, burst movement, blocks, stealth and on and on, coupled with ridiculous resustain, when you get focused/stunlocked as Necro, you are dead.So rather than being able to rather brainlessly charge in with those tools and spam CC while nuking everything down, you already needed to position yourself incredibly carefully and kite around to not get deleted instantly.

Shade around Scourge was the bare minimum of counter pressure available should let's say a Thief shadowstep on you to start tearing you apart, along with pretty much everything else having vastly superior mobility to catch you off guard.

To say Scourges need to use their brain just now is both ignorant and wrong.They had to before, but now there isn't really anything to use their brain on left, as when they get jumped, they are just straight up dead with no counterplay.

To suggest the Scourge could just "tactically" place down a Shade to stand in while attacking from range with how much a Scourge needs to kite around terrain and be in constant movement is a joke too. And by the time someone jumps on a Scourge, they will be CC'ed and dead before they can even think about placing a Shade.

Seeing Necros on the enemy team was already satisfying to me, knowing I could just easily tear them apart as long as I baited them to waste the Shroud around them. Now Scourge is just a genuine free kill.

I'm so glad scourge may be taken down in pvp. They may not be great in plat without a fb but their condi puke spam is as brainless and invisiblity and mirages stun bursts lol I hope they all get wiped outa pvp. Holo needs more shaves as well. The pvp will at least be shaken up by this patch. I hope it all goes thru as planned which it probably robobly will lol :)

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:I'm so glad scourge may be taken down in pvp. They may not be great in plat without a fb but their condi puke spam is as brainless and invisiblity and mirages stun bursts lol I hope they all get wiped outa pvp. Holo needs more shaves as well. The pvp will at least be shaken up by this patch. I hope it all goes thru as planned which it probably robobly will lol :)

Brainless scourge in pvp are useless and are quite easy to kill if you dont brainless face tank their aoes burst. Good scourge kite and uses skills for teamwork such as putting pressure onto the other team, applying barrier to the team, corrupting/removing boons on the target etc in pvp. Enjoy trying to take down boon bots.

@Jasonbdj.4021 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:I'm so glad scourge may be taken down in pvp. They may not be great in plat without a fb but their condi puke spam is as brainless and invisiblity and mirages stun bursts lol I hope they all get wiped outa pvp. Holo needs more shaves as well. The pvp will at least be shaken up by this patch. I hope it all goes thru as planned which it probably robobly will lol :)

Brainless scourge in pvp are useless and are quite easy to kill if you dont brainless face tank their aoes burst. Good scourge kite and uses skills for teamwork such as putting pressure onto the other team, applying barrier to the team, corrupting/removing boons on the target etc in pvp. Enjoy trying to take down boon bots.

Good scourges and bad scourges condi puke aoe's at range and on them self assuring the upper hand in most engagements. It's a garbage cheese mechanic that shoulda never made it into the game like alot of other crap lol. Scourge mechanics in wvw worked out great to :) I'd rather fight neither but I'd rather fight a boon bot than spammed condi aoe's everywhere. Oh and let's not forget the barriers nom nom gonna be great seeing warrior eat them haha. Other than rangers,condo thief and holo's not quite getting nerfed enough this patch should make some good changes :) time to turn down the bs power creep spam clown fiesta that's plagued this game.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Good scourges and bad scourges condi puke aoe's at range and on them self assuring the upper hand in most engagements. It's a garbage cheese mechanic that shoulda never made it into the game like alot of other kitten lol. Scourge mechanics in wvw worked out great to :) I'd rather fight neither but I'd rather fight a boon bot than spammed condi aoe's everywhere. Oh and let's not forget the barriers nom nom gonna be great seeing warrior eat them haha. Other than rangers,condo thief and holo's not quite getting nerfed enough this patch should make some good changes :) time to turn down the bs power creep spam clown fiesta that's plagued this game.

Well, you might start to regret that after whailing on some on point bunker for 9 minutes every match bc there are no Necros around to keep them in check.

But honestly, it just seems like you have no idea how to play Scourge, or the finesse that went into it in terms of kiting and timing corrupts to be successful in PvP, which might also explain while you in turn had trouble counterplaying it, getting condi puked on.

@Asum.4960 said:

Good scourges and bad scourges condi puke aoe's at range and on them self assuring the upper hand in most engagements. It's a garbage cheese mechanic that shoulda never made it into the game like alot of other kitten lol. Scourge mechanics in wvw worked out great to :) I'd rather fight neither but I'd rather fight a boon bot than spammed condi aoe's everywhere. Oh and let's not forget the barriers nom nom gonna be great seeing warrior eat them haha. Other than rangers,condo thief and holo's not quite getting nerfed enough this patch should make some good changes :) time to turn down the bs power creep spam clown fiesta that's plagued this game.

Well, you might start to regret that after whailing on some on point bunker for 9 minutes every match bc there are no Necros around to keep them in check.

But honestly, it just seems like you have no idea how to play Scourge, or the finesse that went into it in terms of kiting and timing corrupts to be successful in PvP, which might also explain while you in turn had trouble counterplaying it, getting condi puked on.

Agree but then next step tune down boon spam. Atleast were going in the de-powercreep direction.

@Tulki.1458 said:It's probably better not to solicit feedback if you ignore the feedback and go full steam ahead with the changes anyway.

I think they prob do take in some of the feedback but at the same time could u imagine if they listen to the playerbase more often than not? No one wants nerfs on their chooses class/classes and wants the classes they dislike outright erased lol.Arenet has to chose suggestions that fit in the direction that their comfortable taking the game in and trying to factor in everyones including my own biased opinions must be difficult. Even when the players don't know it I bet most if their views are driven by some form of bias. All we can do is make suggestions and if some iteration of them make it to reality great and if not adapt or move on.

balance patch after reading all comments over the last month: WvW field of view

2/10 : it looks like the devs play some other game than me.

• Holo still overpowered in small scale -> reduce survivability or remove stealth, its stupid that holo can always reset the fight and is instant at 80-100%HP.
  • dead eye can still perma stealth / perma evade -> IT IS NO FUN TO PLAY AGAINST IT -> remove perma stealth ITS UNHEALTHY FOR THE GAME!
  • warrior buffs... okey ... wow... ... no comment.
  • the " scourge" problem in large fights not adressed.
  • ranger and ele " buffs " will change nothing.......
  • no ele mainhand dagger buffs ( i know that nobody cares about it but me )

why is it no 1/10 ?

• because the patch will change nothing for me personally... so its a " nice try "

@Jski.6180 said:@"Robert Gee.9246"Why is tempest going to work out to being a worst support then scraper when the scraper was not a "support" class and tempest was?Look at what cd cast times and effects you have on scraper skill as well as core eng and compare them to what an tempest and ele has.Ex. Support super speed what dose scraper super speed being near perma and tempest being on a 40 sec cd is that real balancing?Condi conviction from core eng (with protection clears) and ele only getting reg clears with out any type of "reward" for cleaning.Strong boons from eng from skills as well as condi conversion with 240 from Compounding Chemicals as well as a healing effect for self that can be carried over to your team mates from having 1 boon of any type where tempest only gets 120 and 120 from being 90% hp with out any real strong boons to be applied to and no added effect from giving boons.I can go on.

Why is scraper a better support then tempest when scraper was not made to be an support but tempest was?

Who told u that Scrapper isn't a support? I mean, if thats ur logic, then nerf all classes to only play a single option haha.Why does Medical Kit exist then? Support Gyroz?Pre-PoF Facts.Tempest Best DPS Class in PvE "When probly it wasn't his role when was designed"Tempest Best secondary Support (PvE/WvW)*Tempest Best Bunker (Even better than a "Scrapper bunker")

So what do u want? a class in Meta since 2015? 4 years with the same meta? Tempest had its good moments, It is time for another classes.That's why I'm a little angry with balance teaming, Guardian is meta in all game modes even before HoT, and it stills in it.

Better talk about guardian nerfs, not about recently different support options like a Scrapper.

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

Ranger

In this update, we're making a major change to sword skills in order to better improve their flow during combat. Monarch's Leap, Hornet Sting, and Serpent's Strike are all shuffling around into new slots, which should make the weapon a little easier to understand. We're also including some enhancements for the off-hand dagger, which has been a pretty weak weapon that hasn't kept up with the pace of the game very well. Finally, we're simplifying the greatsword's Counterattack skill and taking some power out of the chain-attack sequence. We hope these changes will make the weapon feel a little smoother while removing some of the frustrating random dodges that happen when fighting against it.

• Long Range Shot: Reduced the minimum damage of this skill by 14% and the maximum damage by 11% in WvW only.
  • Sword Chain-Attack Sequence: Updated icons for Crippling Thrust and Precision Swipe.
  • Stalker's Strike: Base damage of this attack has been increased by 200%. This attack now deals double damage and inflicts 2 additional poison stacks if it strikes a foe with a movement-impairing condition.
  • Crippling Talon: This skill now uses the ammunition system and has 2 ammo with a 15-second count recharge time and a 1-second recharge between uses. Reduced cripple duration from 6 seconds to 4 seconds. Reduced bleeding duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds.
  • Hornet Sting: This sword skill has moved to weapon slot 3. It now recharges Monarch's Leap if it hits. Its recharge has been increased from 8 seconds to 15 seconds.
  • Monarch's Leap: This sword skill is now the primary skill in weapon slot 2. Using this skill flips it over to Serpent's Strike for 5 seconds. It now has an 8-second recharge.
  • Serpent's Strike: This skill is now the follow-up skill to Monarch's Leap. It no longer has a recharge.
  • Swoop: Fixed an issue that prevented the casting bar for this skill from matching the actual casting time of the dash.
  • Counterattack: Removed the Crippling Throw follow-up skill. This skill no longer automatically uses Counterattack Kick when blocking a foe within the range threshold. Instead, blocking any attack flips the skill to Counterattack Kick for 5 seconds. Increased the number of targets for Counterattack Kick from 1 to 3. Counterattack Kick now evades for its duration and activates faster.
  • Power Stab: This skill no longer evades for its duration. Its name has been changed to Enduring Swing. This skill now grants 15 endurance if it hits.
  • Quick Draw: Fixed a bug that prevented this trait from reducing recharge time.

An increase of cd from 8 to 15 is just a huge nerf.It would have been enough to fix the dagger and not destroy weapons that have worked well since the release of the game.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Warrior's Cunning: This new trait increases damage by 25% against foes with health above 90%. Additionally, it increases damage by 50% against foes that have barrier. These bonuses do not stack.

Huge nerf to Weavers because of that! Why so big increase? Warrior even now can one-shot Weaver,

The extra dps vs barrier will be great to combat ele's op sustain and if u dont think they dont have crazy sustain and dps I dono what to tell u

lol warrior easily can kill ele , sustain is non existing, because 1 stunbreack, and low armor

@Lich King.1524 said:

lol warrior easily can kill ele , sustain is non existing, because 1 stunbreack, and low armor

And evades forever. As if bunker eles never existed.

@Lich King.1524 said:

Lol maybe u on ele. A good weaver can burst and almost impossible to take down due to it's crazy sustain

I donno anet maybe in a game that has pvp modes maybe having skills that force ur skills to go on cooldown should be stripped from the game,just a idea. Another idea is have skills that can combine to imobilize, stun and put ur skills on cooldown might be a bit much for a pvp centric mode. Just throwing ideas out lolSeriously who thought these would be good for a pvp mode regardless of boons to keep them in check. Skill types or traits that cause things like this snowball into needing powercrept boons and cleanses etc etc. Have the anet devs played a pvp game before? Lol

@ZolracAtrox.2908 said:

@Jski.6180 said:@"Robert Gee.9246"Why is tempest going to work out to being a worst support then scraper when the scraper was not a "support" class and tempest was?Look at what cd cast times and effects you have on scraper skill as well as core eng and compare them to what an tempest and ele has.Ex. Support super speed what dose scraper super speed being near perma and tempest being on a 40 sec cd is that real balancing?Condi conviction from core eng (with protection clears) and ele only getting reg clears with out any type of "reward" for cleaning.Strong boons from eng from skills as well as condi conversion with 240 from Compounding Chemicals as well as a healing effect for self that can be carried over to your team mates from having 1 boon of any type where tempest only gets 120 and 120 from being 90% hp with out any real strong boons to be applied to and no added effect from giving boons.I can go on.

Why is scraper a better support then tempest when scraper was not made to be an support but tempest was?

Who told u that Scrapper isn't a support? I mean, if thats ur logic, then nerf all classes to only play a single option haha.Why does Medical Kit exist then? Support Gyroz?Pre-PoF Facts.
Tempest Best DPS Class in PvE "When probly it wasn't his role when was designed"
Tempest Best secondary Support (PvE/WvW)*Tempest Best Bunker (Even better than a "Scrapper bunker")

So what do u want? a class in Meta since 2015? 4 years with the same meta? Tempest had its good moments, It is time for another classes.That's why I'm a little angry with balance teaming, Guardian is meta in all game modes even before HoT, and it stills in it.

Better talk about guardian nerfs, not about recently different support options like a Scrapper.

A lot of scraper was a "you need to kill this now" type of class as in it will support both it self and its team mates but mostly it self. Its a means of being a tank class in a pvp game.Med kit is from core eng and is many time stronger then any other support roll in the game even elites skills are no where as strong as that kit alone. It has nothing to do with scraper as a class but it brakes the balancing of the game.Freash air was the best dps ele had in the game. At the time of tempest being the best dps in pve was because it was nothing more then power creep from ele core and gave one more path way overload air to trigger freash air.Tempest maybe the 3ed best only because they nerfed the other support classes hard (all though i would say rev is a very powerful support class but it can do so much more then support that we do not call it an support true for scorge as well) and we are not counting elites of a core class different from that core class or you would say FB is the best scraper is the 2ed DH is the 3ed core gurd is the 4 core eng is the 5th we may see tempest as the 6th best support.

The best bunker is weaver.

I want anet to stop treading the ele classes as a 2ed class chose in gw2. Its the only class in the game who cant get the strong boons on any level. All of the field effects that it use to be the use of the class have fallen way behind in use. And its a joke to look at cd cast time for effect even though anet keeps nefing the very effects of ele skills.

Tempest only had a year of a moment and that was only because of bad balancing chose at the start of HoT. It was simply a stronger ele and nothing more. Like most of the eleit spec when first added in but tempest got nerfed hard and fast where the other eleit spec where not till PoF.

There is MASSIVE class favorites in this game. Ele is simply an orphan class and it will always be treated as such. If any class got the same treatment as the ele class there would be blood in the streets over the nerfs.

Look at your self and say is it ok for an super speed effect to be on a 8 sec cd that has a 5 sec duration when you have tempest super speed on a 40 sec cd with a 5 sec duration? That alone is the biggest tell of every thing wrong with this game balancing and anets class favorites. There is more but i think that shows it the best.

This is wrong and this is anet chose.

I have found that most of the balance changes through the years haven't changed how I play or build most of my alts and haven't greatly affected how well I do in fights. This is because I'm not actually the best player, I don't min-max, and I choose builds that I can intuitively make work with my slower reflexes. That said, losing shade effects on my scourge is going to hurt because I'm terrible at ground targeting without snap to target (I mouse move, my cursor is all over the screen randomly). So I drop a big shade on a target via snap to target and then run to put my body in a place where I can hit allies and foes with my F key effects.

Now I'm either going to be spamming little shades in random useless spots, or all three on one spot and losing coverage and control of how I help others, or sticking with one big one but still losing coverage. That doesn't mean it's a bad change for the game, just very bad for me in particular. Still this is one change I really wish had a PvE/PvP split since based on all the comments I think the main concern is reducing Scourge effectiveness in PvP where a lot of people consider it OP.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

lol, no, just learn to play

push weaver, he will be run out of CD pretty quickly, especially burn elestun him, he will do ToF (recharge 40 sec of 1 count)knockdown him again and finish in 1-2 sec

if your class can't stun (for necro), then just freeze him and cover by conditions, his healing and sustain will be about to ZERO then

the biggest mistake is to push weaver 15 sec and then leave him alone seeing no visible result (evade, evade, evade),then he will recharge his CD!

@Lich King.1524 said:

lol, no, just learn to play

push weaver, he will be run out of CD pretty quickly, especially burn elestun him, he will do ToF (recharge 40 sec of 1 count)knockdown him again and finish in 1-2 sec

if your class can't stun (for necro), then just freeze him and cover by conditions, his healing and sustain will be about to ZERO then

the biggest mistake is to push weaver 15 sec and then leave him alone seeing no visible result (evade, evade, evade),then he will recharge his CD!

Lol if hes invested in any healing like mesmers and knows how to use water he'll be almost undeniable unless focused by a couple players, after three days of useing weaver I'd have the very thing happening to me lol id stall them a good while before they down me