Upcoming Balance Notes - 10/1/2019

Irenio CalmonHuang.2048

@"Robert Gee.9246" said:Just wanted to jump in to address a few questions and comments I've seen popping up frequently in relation to these update notes:

Why does Function Gyro die when CCed?Destruction on CC allows other players to counter the skill just like they would counter a normal stomp or res attempt. There is no point to the gyro existing after being interrupted as we don't feel it's fair for it to attempt multiple stomps or reses. This has been the functionality since the rework but we are clarifying it in the upcoming update because players are under the mistaken assumption that Function Gyro has low health and armor. The Function Gyro has 18k health and 1.3k armor. (A level 80 Elementalist in ascended armor with no bonus toughness or vitality has about 12k health 1.9k armor.)

Can Improvisation recharge my Heal or Elite?Improvisation recharges one of your utility skills. It does not recharge the Heal or the Elite.

What does Mending Might do?This was an editing error that should be fixed for the final release notes next week. Mending might heals the warrior whenever the warrior grants might to an ally and has no internal cooldown.

Power Break isn't related to Mantra of Pain, which skill does this note refer to?This is another error and should be "Power Spike". It should be corrected on the final notes.

How much barrier does Call of Valor give?About 2.5k with a 1x healing multiplier.

I appreciate you taking the time to detail the changes, as well as explain how the mechanics are working, but please understand that when it comes to Gyro, it having 1.3k armor and 18k is meaningless if it dies when CCed. You'd have to pick one and stick to it for it to have a noticeable effect : The current situation is that scrappers unanimously see their gyros destroyed on arrival, which to me means the balance is not appropriate for the counterplay against it. A mechanic is pointless and will be ignored if it is so easily countered.

Some suggestions :-Make it CCable, but not die on CC, it'll behave like a normal player trying to revive/finish an enemy, which would be enough to make it useful, and counterable simple pushbacks, stuns or knockdowns would more than likely be enough to keep it away and let it expire naturally. With the HP and armor you mentionned, that'd be more than enough, so you can tone it down if you wish.-Make it CCable with a defiance bar, but have it be stunned for a while and have it take extra damage while stunned, like a boss.-Keep it as is, but increase the defiance bar's resistance, so that it can actually have a -chance- at performing. Alternatively, have it -gradually- lose health, so the death on CC isn't instant.

A note if I may : Currently, Function Gyro is Very focused on PvP/WvW, with it's stomping and revive ability. But I'd feel bad not mentionning that this is half the side of the coin for PvE. The number of monsters that require to be stomped can be counted on one hand. Dont you feel that is a little unfair ? If anything, can Function Gyro receive a little buff to it's revive potential in PvE to make that more even ?

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Warrior's Cunning: This new trait increases damage by 25% against foes with health above 90%. Additionally, it increases damage by 50% against foes that have barrier. These bonuses do not stack.

Huge nerf to Weavers because of that! Why so big increase? Warrior even now can one-shot Weaver,
THIS CHANGE IS VERY UNHEALTHY
since weaver has a little barrier every 5-10 sec...

Make a cap, like applicable if target has more than 2000 barrier...

The extra dps vs barrier will be great to combat ele's op sustain and if u dont think they dont have crazy sustain and dps I dono what to tell u

lol warrior easily can kill ele , sustain is non existing, because 1 stunbreack, and low armor

And evades forever. As if bunker eles never existed.

lol, no, just learn to play

push weaver, he will be run out of CD pretty quickly, especially burn elestun him, he will do ToF (recharge 40 sec of 1 count)knockdown him again and finish in 1-2 sec

if your class can't stun (for necro), then just freeze him and cover by conditions, his healing and sustain will be about to ZERO then

the biggest mistake is to push weaver 15 sec and then leave him alone seeing no visible result (evade, evade, evade),then he will recharge his CD!

Lol if hes invested in any healing like mesmers and knows how to use water he'll be almost undeniable unless focused by a couple players, after three days of useing weaver I'd have the very thing happening to me lol id stall them a good while before they down me

I've encountered my fair share of bunker Weaver's while roaming to know that more than 15s is needed to wear them down, and if they are roaming they'll have the sustain and evades to draw out a fight as long as they want to.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Warrior's Cunning: This new trait increases damage by 25% against foes with health above 90%. Additionally, it increases damage by 50% against foes that have barrier. These bonuses do not stack.

Huge nerf to Weavers because of that! Why so big increase? Warrior even now can one-shot Weaver,

The extra dps vs barrier will be great to combat ele's op sustain and if u dont think they dont have crazy sustain and dps I dono what to tell u

lol warrior easily can kill ele , sustain is non existing, because 1 stunbreack, and low armor

push weaver, he will be run out of CD pretty quickly, especially burn elestun him, he will do ToF (recharge 40 sec of 1 count)knockdown him again and finish in 1-2 sec

if your class can't stun (for necro), then just freeze him and cover by conditions, his healing and sustain will be about to ZERO then

the biggest mistake is to push weaver 15 sec and then leave him alone seeing no visible result (evade, evade, evade),then he will recharge his CD!

Lol if hes invested in any healing like mesmers and knows how to use water he'll be almost undeniable unless focused by a couple players, after three days of useing weaver I'd have the very thing happening to me lol id stall them a good while before they down me

I've encountered my fair share of bunker Weaver's while roaming to know that more than 15s is needed to wear them down, and if they are roaming they'll have the sustain and evades to draw out a fight as long as they want to.

Yup that is my experience as well

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

it'sa trade-off, then they have no DPS

war has both dps and sustain, and now it will be buffed

@Lich King.1524 said:

Oh their bursts still hurt enough especially the burning. Scrappers are no where near the dps of weavers running Menders.

@Lich King.1524 said:

Yeah, I've hit an ele with earthshaker for 500 on a crit with full berserker stats as spellbreaker. Took a full minute to down him. I welcome anything that decreases the ability to bunker.

-Scourge changes are an absolute disaster. Death magic remains useless because other traitlines are more important. Boon spam is out of control in WvW and you nerf it more on the one class that could counter it...Necromancer weapon skills already do pathetic damage, why nerf their damage even more? When will necromancers see any weapon reworks?

-Warriors Cunning will be way too powerful for a class that already does too much damage and has too much sustain and passive abilities. If another player applies barrier to me, I will take 50% extra damage from Warriors with this trait. That is just ridiculous and outright broken from the start. One killshot or any other overpowered burst skill can eat through any barrier and still do a ton of leftover damage. If a Scourge near me applies a tiny 2k barrier, that modest 10k killshot will now hit me for 15k? This needs to be changed immediately.

-Sneak Gyro needs to be either nerfed more or reworked. This skill is an abomination in WvW, allowing entire zergs to stealth for long durations. Longer cd does nothing since you can just rotate Scrappers using it.

-Ele changes look decent

-Guardian sword would be so much better if the 3 skill allowed movement during casting. Purging Flames change looks good.

-Illusion of life needed a good nerf, good change.

-CoR needed a damage nerf, and more visible indication so good change. Forced engagement change looks interesting because the current version never lands on a target in WvW.

@Jski.6180 said:

@Jski.6180 said:@"Robert Gee.9246"

A lot of scraper was a "you need to kill this now" type of class as in it will support both it self and its team mates but mostly it self. Its a means of being a tank class in a pvp game.Med kit is from core eng and is many time stronger then any other support roll in the game even elites skills are no where as strong as that kit alone. It has nothing to do with scraper as a class but it brakes the balancing of the game.Freash air was the best dps ele had in the game. At the time of tempest being the best dps in pve was because it was nothing more then power creep from ele core and gave one more path way overload air to trigger freash air.Tempest maybe the 3ed best only because they nerfed the other support classes hard (all though i would say rev is a very powerful support class but it can do so much more then support that we do not call it an support true for scorge as well) and we are not counting elites of a core class different from that core class or you would say FB is the best scraper is the 2ed DH is the 3ed core gurd is the 4 core eng is the 5th we may see tempest as the 6th best support.

The best bunker is weaver.

I want anet to stop treading the ele classes as a 2ed class chose in gw2. Its the only class in the game who cant get the strong boons on any level. All of the field effects that it use to be the use of the class have fallen way behind in use. And its a joke to look at cd cast time for effect even though anet keeps nefing the very effects of ele skills.

Tempest only had a year of a moment and that was only because of bad balancing chose at the start of HoT. It was simply a stronger ele and nothing more. Like most of the eleit spec when first added in but tempest got nerfed hard and fast where the other eleit spec where not till PoF.

There is MASSIVE class favorites in this game. Ele is simply an orphan class and it will always be treated as such. If any class got the same treatment as the ele class there would be blood in the streets over the nerfs.

Look at your self and say is it ok for an super speed effect to be on a 8 sec cd that has a 5 sec duration when you have tempest super speed on a 40 sec cd with a 5 sec duration? That alone is the biggest tell of every thing wrong with this game balancing and anets class favorites. There is more but i think that shows it the best.

This is wrong and this is anet chose.

you just repeated the same.And u repeat again "med kit is from core" yeah, but gyroz are from scrapper and gyroz have support effects, hammer is better for autosustain, or what, herald shouldn't use hammer, fb shouln't use mace/staff?, necro should't use staff? is just ridiculous.U are talking about "dev fav class" and u cannot simply see the Meta timeline and how was tempest, how is tempest, how was scrapper and how is now.Tempest was meta for 2 YEARS, not 1. Scrapper is meta as healing since 8 months ago only so... "favorite dev classes" . Oh, and scrapper is meta for stealth xD cuz is so squishy, probly without stealth shouldn't be meta.

@ZolracAtrox.2908 said:

@Jski.6180 said:@"Robert Gee.9246"

A lot of scraper was a "you need to kill this now" type of class as in it will support both it self and its team mates but mostly it self. Its a means of being a tank class in a pvp game.Med kit is from core eng and is many time stronger then any other support roll in the game even elites skills are no where as strong as that kit alone. It has nothing to do with scraper as a class but it brakes the balancing of the game.Freash air was the best dps ele had in the game. At the time of tempest being the best dps in pve was because it was nothing more then power creep from ele core and gave one more path way overload air to trigger freash air.Tempest maybe the 3ed best only because they nerfed the other support classes hard (all though i would say rev is a very powerful support class but it can do so much more then support that we do not call it an support true for scorge as well) and we are not counting elites of a core class different from that core class or you would say FB is the best scraper is the 2ed DH is the 3ed core gurd is the 4 core eng is the 5th we may see tempest as the 6th best support.

The best bunker is weaver.

I want anet to stop treading the ele classes as a 2ed class chose in gw2. Its the only class in the game who cant get the strong boons on any level. All of the field effects that it use to be the use of the class have fallen way behind in use. And its a joke to look at cd cast time for effect even though anet keeps nefing the very effects of ele skills.

Tempest only had a year of a moment and that was only because of bad balancing chose at the start of HoT. It was simply a stronger ele and nothing more. Like most of the eleit spec when first added in but tempest got nerfed hard and fast where the other eleit spec where not till PoF.

There is MASSIVE class favorites in this game. Ele is simply an orphan class and it will always be treated as such. If any class got the same treatment as the ele class there would be blood in the streets over the nerfs.

Look at your self and say is it ok for an super speed effect to be on a 8 sec cd that has a 5 sec duration when you have tempest super speed on a 40 sec cd with a 5 sec duration? That alone is the biggest tell of every thing wrong with this game balancing and anets class favorites. There is more but i think that shows it the best.

This is wrong and this is anet chose.

you just repeated the same.And u repeat again "med kit is from core" yeah, but gyroz are from scrapper and gyroz have support effects, hammer is better for autosustain, or what, herald shouldn't use hammer, fb shouln't use mace/staff?, necro should't use staff? is just ridiculous.U are talking about "dev fav class" and u cannot simply see the Meta timeline and how was tempest, how is tempest, how was scrapper and how is now.Tempest was meta for 2 YEARS, not 1. Scrapper is meta as healing since 8 months ago only so... "favorite dev classes" . Oh, and scrapper is meta for stealth xD cuz is so squishy, probly without stealth shouldn't be meta.

You comply miss understand what gyro where and what they have become. They where pets that has a very limited use as targets for ppl to kill. That was there point the scraper was not the center of support there pets where and it was balanced with that in mind. Now the scraper is the center of that support comply upending there balance of the gyro and scraper effects.

Hammer is a selfish def wepon not a support wepon.

Herald is a boons support like core ele use to be but with perma effects of boons that the tempest class has to work for to out put.

FB is stab support it needs nothing else as well as DH and core gurd the only thing is FB has more stab support. The lack of stab support to ANY other support class is a massive balancing problem.

Devs do have fav classes they make rules for one class but brake these same rules for other classes. If that not the def of "classes fav" i am not sure what else is.

Scraper was meta before that but ppl did not see it. Having super speed at that rate alone made it a meta class having med kit added on and the gyro wells made it a lot easier to see.

Just do a side by side look at skill effects vs there cd/cast times just see how much "class fav" there is going on in this game is just horrible.

I can't say I have ever had a reason to log in to actually comment on changes, but i think the ranger changes has finally forced my hand.

I will first say that i dont have anything against the Long Ranger shot damage decrease. I can live with this as its not something too crippling, although It is still more than i expected. Sword changes are also rather strange and I feel this would be a net loss on the PvE side and only benefit WvW/PvP players in the grand scheme. However its very much liveable if the leap has a pretty decent starting animation speed.

However, the change to Greatsword hurts more than anything. I can see how powerstabs change may be healthier for the game in the long run, but I feel that it should have some kind of other compensation for this change outside 15 endurance. I also fel the change to counterattack is rather rough for everyone across the board. The Crippling Throw follow-up was pretty good in keep Greatsword in feeling like a decent weapon. It allowed for trait synergies and also was pretty good damage for PvE side and helpful in actually getting to targets in PvP/WvW when combined with Swoop. As silly as it sounds, I think it would be a big mistake to get rid of such an iconic skill for the sake of simplifying the Counterattack. If the damage needed to be decreased on Crippling Throw, so be it, but I would be sad to see the follow-up just vanish along with the condition application.

Sorry if I am rather rash about this, I just think this weapon got hit a bit harder than it deserved even if it looks a bit less worrisome on paper.

Clearly u didn't add nothing new, except:

Scraper was meta before that but ppl did not see it. Having super speed at that rate alone made it a meta class having med kit added on and the gyro wells made it a lot easier to see.

Scrapper wasn't meta before xD yeah he had super speed, but was far to the meta; even tempest was above in tier, in serious wvw runs, even in gvg, there weren't scrappers, only in open pugmanding squads because main engis could finally play something decent, but meta? XD when they start to lie in an argument gg

@ZolracAtrox.2908 said:

@"Jski.6180" said:

Clearly u didn't add nothing new, except:

Scrapper wasn't meta before xD yeah he had super speed, but was far to the meta; even tempest was above in tier, in serious wvw runs, even in gvg, there weren't scrappers, only in open pugmanding squads because main engis could finally play something decent, but meta? XD when they start to lie in an argument gg

It was just in the gvg seen it did not carry over to the blob yet. That why the super speed rune set where big.

Look there are many points where scraper is better support then tempest its that simple after this update its going to get a lot worst.

I wish there was an easy way to link skills here so i can do blunt side by side compation. The easiest thing i could point out is med kit its not a conja wepon it can be swaped on the fly and has very high healing and low cd for a "kit" wepon unlike any thing that is "kit" like on ele. Even the bow on ele made for support is unbelievably bad as both a dmg wepon and support wepon and is not a free to swap wepon like med kit is.

Whats the point of nerfing elite specializations when you couldve went an easier, more fun way for everyone, by allowing all elite spec utility/heal/elite/weapons be usable by any other spec, including core? Removes the hassle of treating those skills as entire spec and allows to easily nerfs each particular overperforming thing while at same time increasing build diversity.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Oh their bursts still hurt enough especially the burning. Scrappers are no where near the dps of weavers running Menders.

People who are not playing weavers always mixing up different builds in their minds, so to clarify:

• Mender Waver has a sustain thanks to high healing power investment, but he has almost 0 Condition Damage, ask yourself how much he can hurt using burning? :)
  • Sage Fire Weaver, can burst using burning, but this build has low healing power and bad conditions cleanse, so yes, he can burst, but he is weak in terms of healing and can be easily killed by war even today, after few stuns, and necro can kill him even more easy using his chilling/conditions.
  • both builds have just 1000 toughness and very vulnerable against power damage (Warrior, Revenant, etc...)

(to be clear: I am talking about sPVP only)

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Crozame.4098 said:Still the no-brainer sword 2 dodge dodge playstyle of condi thief. What are you thinking??????

Yeah not much different than any other classes cheese builds that everyone runs so.... if arnet nerfed all them to the ground than have at it with condi thief.

The condi thief is not healthy game play. It does a lot of poison in very short time, and spam evades to do dmg. Its very different than other strong builds.

It is just sad that you decided to delete scourge from pvp. And that is basically what you did with this immense nerf. I stated several times before why this is a bad decision.

• Making the most vulnerable spec without any blocks and reflects even more vulnerable = free kill for everyone
  • Scourge loses the ability to kite, since there is no more flexibility to place the shades anymore, it is either around the scourge OR in range. And if you choose to be flexible and to kite, therefore not placing shades anymore:
  • Severe loss of dmg!
  • Less flexibility problematic because especially in pvp with lots of teleports fights switch extremely fast between range and melee engages. Scourges can‘t cope with this after the nerf anymore.
  • Since being dead immediatly, this results in less boon corruption for boon-heavy specs like holos or fbs, some ppl consider as OP, and won‘t get nerfed as much with this patch...
  • The lack of a „delete all shades“ button makes the gameplay extremely clunky
  • less variety of specs to play overall = never a good thing. In an ideal balance, every spec should be a good choice, more or less. But with this balance patch, it is the other way round!

I main scourge and have been playing for a few years usually in p2. So maybe in lower ranks scourge is not targeted that well, but this is no excuse for those nerfs. Many players including top players stated that these nerfs would result in a much worse game quality.

yes, I know, there are two other game modes: pve amd wvw, but you really need to distinguish them better because in wvw scourges play completely differently than in pvp!

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Yeah, I've hit an ele with earthshaker for 500 on a crit with full berserker stats as spellbreaker. Took a full minute to down him. I welcome anything that decreases the ability to bunker.

Look how warrior hits today to weaver under protection:

and you wanna buff him 50%?

cedc04cbe90b.png

@Lich King.1524 said:

People who are not playing weavers always mixing up different builds in their minds, so to clarify:
  • Mender Waver has a sustain thanks to high healing power investment, but he has almost 0 Condition Damage, ask yourself how much he can hurt using burning? :)
  • Sage Fire Weaver, can burst using burning, but this build has low healing power and bad conditions cleanse, so yes, he can burst, but he is weak in terms of healing and can be easily killed by war even today, after few stuns, and necro can kill him even more easy using his chilling/conditions.
  • both builds have just 1000 toughness and very vulnerable against power damage (Warrior, Revenant, etc...)

(to be clear: I am talking about sPVP only)

People who presume what other people have done as usual on the forums. I've played plenty of weaver thanks and I've played water/arcane weaver with wizard emulate for some condi dps and with water atunement was able to hold off 2 and players or more until help arrived. U guys seriously gonna say that weaver doesn't have burst and high active sustain? On top of that the have a tele and 4 dodges instead of 2 if the utility is slotted. I donno seems like u live in a pretend world where weavers are low sustain.

@Lich King.1524 said:

Look how warrior hits today to weaver under protection:

and you wanna buff him 50%?

cedc04cbe90b.png

Lmao first of all those are not standard arc, they obviously have some boons etc and or are built complete glass with those boons. Im sure a player could easily post an ele doing the same high numbers if built for it. I use the spellbreaker and core warrior pure power/strength build that does at most 5000 something on some arcs and 2000 on others, no where near these numbers.

@Crozame.4098 said:

@Crozame.4098 said:Still the no-brainer sword 2 dodge dodge playstyle of condi thief. What are you thinking??????

Yeah not much different than any other classes cheese builds that everyone runs so.... if arnet nerfed all them to the ground than have at it with condi thief.

The condi thief is not healthy game play. It does a lot of poison in very short time, and spam evades to do dmg. Its very different than other strong builds.

Ur right it's not healthy but almost if not all classes have a favored spec that is always running some super cheese builds that slots the most burst with least counter play with the least effort. Condi thief is no different ur right lol

@Lich King.1524 said:

Look how warrior hits today to weaver under protection:likand you wanna buff him 50%?

cedc04cbe90b.png

Its going toget eventually nerfed to a better value or getting a few more changes, this is just a start value, until theres more information to act, altough 50% has much i believe its a bit to much due killshot hits 10-15 on 3k armor and protection...while blocking... it will hurt more if your players dont know how to play the game, theres skill ways to cover that damage, Anet for what ic on scourge changes made them aply the barrier with more control, they need to see if its barrier its allies need or something else just like a jalis zerkers hammer rev's supporting with -50% damage, it is good on pushes and when team gets struck by a warrior bubble or located bomb , it gives time for the healpers try to take coverof depleted health and if needed send a Ventari revwith 10k+ aoe heals tablet to that zone heal and blow your tablet, if enemy warrior dont have stability its bubble will end.And no barrier was used on this example, barrier can beused for other situations but i fear gun flame warrios with their unblockables will be to much....

The only problem ic it will be Rifle warriors with 10sec unblockables, i expect 20k hits trough wall of reflection., blocks, absorbs since all are treated as BLOCK activitity.Altough ventari can blind AOE every 3 sec... so theres a way to chance couterplay if they get noticed.

Like Anet said in some class update range skills should not be doing that kind of damage....@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 ifpossible can u guys keep eyes in some skills like warrior rifle skills in certain situations they m8 be way to much with the current changes????At melee bonus i think its an interesting aproach the 50% damage on barrier players, due how game ha been basicly range fights with tons of barrier left and right, this will make players focus more as a team rather than spam key skill whenever they are free to cast.But like i said above... it can be used on range warrior rifle for a 20k+ hit... and most time range effects wont be noteceable torugh all the visual clutter.

After a 3 year break, it's nice to see how the team still tries to make WarRiaH stronger than they already are. I don't know who came up with the idea of giving the Warrior (a class with absurd damage multipliers - and loads of them, too) a 25% damage bonus for instagibs (or worse, 50% if you are a scrapper or got someone giving you 300 "hp" worth of barrier...), but it's brilliant. I'm also a little miffed about the cross-mode range reduction of holographic shockwave - I expected it to get nerfed in WvW/PvP (and for a good reason), but the update notes make it look like it will be nerfed for PvE as well. Why nerf the range for PvE as well, if you can (and do) clearly separate between the two gamemodes? The extra range was always nice given the usual distance mobs in PoF and HoT tend to have to each other, and the interrupt would give you at least a bit of breathing room which you otherwise wouldn't get. It's not like you can just waltz through enemies (as I can on my badly equipped warRiah) as an engineer . As strong as the holo is compared to core engi variants, it's at most as strong as a warrior (if you do not get attacked and perfectly pull of your rotation) while being much more vulnerable - add the needed time "wasted" strafing, evading and blocking attacks, as it is the norm for solo play, and your damage will drop dramatically compared to these heavies. Mixing in defensive gear is an option for roaming WvW (and pretty much the norm) since you will find at least a few "squishier" roamers, but not exactly viable for soloing PvE content.

By the way, your last engi-related update "broke" the medkit-graphics - it's yawed 90° clockwise :p