Official capes discussion thread

I think people were so anxious to get a cape that when they noticed how stupid the guild cape was they bought the gemstore one because they couldnt wait several months for anet to add an actual cape obtainable ingame... i wouldnt call that a success, more like desperation from a lack of options...

@"Ragi.7291" said:I don't understand the hostile reactions.The community has been asking for capes for 7 years.They said "we can't" (largely because of the chaars + physic)They still take them out + they are dyable + a buyable in game with 10 po.It is that a beginning they will probably come out of it more and more beautiful like the chairs.I think it's good, it's going to bring them some money for the end of the year these capes.

Personally, I am happy.I hope to have larger and more classy capes in the future it looks a little like a scarf on my asura but hey ^^

Theres backlash because the guild cape is expensive trash while they added the only other cape that actually looks decent to the gemstore to milk us when we buy it out of desperation from the lack of options. I know you can get it with gold but only the vets will be willing to pay 100g+ for something that should have been obtainable for free as a content reward to begin with... If there were other options that looked decent and the gemstore one was a shiny tryhard version it wouldnt be so bad but thats not the case. The next ingame capes will take months to get released, probably along with another large content update, so until then ppl will be forced to get the gemstore one because lets be honest, who is going to be caught wearing that ugly guild rag in public???

@Pixeltrix.9736 said:I could deal with the gold/commendation price but its just so ugly that im never going to use it... Why is it so short? What pisses me off the most is they released a normal looking cape on the gemstore at the same time as this ridiculous looking trash... idk if anyone else noticed but i think it looks stupid on a charr, it curves for no reason in mid-air...

It's basically the cape from GW1. It was short there too.

@Jaffawer.4932 said:

@Jaffawer.4932 said:Oh superb.... it took them 7 years and now they've decided to stick it in that kitten gemmie-store for 500g... a single cape style. Seriously? And there are people who are praising them for it. And of course the Guild cape is ugly af. No way to obtain unique capes through game-play, crafting, etc.

But there’s the same hope that Anet will make them obtainable outside the gem store just like mount skins and glider skins.

It's sad, I wish there were actually things like that one can obtain by actually playing the game instead of throwing money at it. And i'm talking about stuff outside of raids since not everyone actively speedclears them every week. You know? Some people want to actually ENJOY content rather than rush through it and being put under pressure. Some of us don't have reaction times of a 16 year old. Some of us have disabilities. There's so much neat stuff (and even lore) locked behind raids that the only way of obtaining something nice these days is the gemstore. Considering how rewards were in the times before HoT the last content updates over the years are disappointing. People overall were a bit nicer before HoT too despite the dungeon elitism stuff... I miss these days.

Can't you just exchange gold you earn in game for gems and then buy it? How is that any different?

The last time I checked it was like what 180g for 500 gems? Where the hell am I supposed to get that much gold... I hate gold farming. Besides, buying it is not the same as having to do in-game stuff in order to get it. And no, I don't consider grinding gold in order to buy anything a worthwhile "in-game stuff" to do.

i play VERY casually, and I've got around 200g or something. and i haven't farmed anything at all never. just do events around the map, have fun, play what you like and you'll eventually get it. it's how I did.but if ou don't want to pay 10 usd or even play pretty much anything (since anything gives gold) then I don't know what to tell you.

Right now most greatswords (if not all) clip through the cape. However I noticed that the distance between your character and the weapon on your back tends to differ depending on what back item you use. Before I got the cape, my main used Mad Memoires Vol 2 and I noticed that my sword floats a lot farther away from my back when I started using the cape.

Then by accident, I managed to trick (glitch?) the game into making the sword float close to my back (as it would while wearing Mad Memoires Vol 2) but while using the cape. And apart from some flames (I use Volcanus) there was significantly less clipping! It looked pretty damn good. Unfortunately the only way I can make this happen is by constantly swapping between Mad Memoires and the cape and repeatedly restarting the game, so not ideal.

Is there any chance this can be fixed? The cape would look so much better if our 2 hand weapons were positioned closer to our characters.Here is a screenshot showing what I mean:vBpMZzr.jpg

@"Head Kracker.4790" said:I want to first go on record that as somebody who played superheros MMo's that I really appreciate the cape options that have came and will be coming. However I really dislike the cost for both options at this time.

For the gem store one, I like that it is dyeable, I like the look, its a very nice cape. I personally believe it is 100 gems too much for a cosmetic item. I believe this about a lot of armor skins you put out. I certainly don't know how your in house game economists choose the gem price for items you put out, but if you had done a flat 400 I might also be inclined to purchase it and other skins. I mean if these were actual armor bits going 500 + on gems would make more sense but this is a totally cosmetic skin. The lowest amount of gems purchasable is 10 dollars . While I understand that your trying to encourage people to spend money so that you can create more content I think that your pricing is more self defeating in some ways.

I personally feel id be more likely to blow cash if I'm getting 2 skins for 800 . This is my opinion though.

Onto the Guild cape, this is where the real disappointment steps in. First off I don't mind that I have to pay for it, I do mind that its a half cape and 10 gold and 10 commendations. This feels sorta like a gouge to me especially when all the other guild backpieces are 5 gold and 5 commendations. This really doesn't feel like a 10 gold and 10 commendation skin. Again if it was like the other offered guild back parts that carried stats that might change my mind....but ten gold for a half cape skin alongside 10 commendations?

For those that are about to say that 10 gold isn't much your quite correct, 5 days of dailies or just doing general events would snag enough gold within a week to afford that part. Its the 10 commendations to somebody in a small guild that's really my clincher price wise. If you have a fairly active and large guild that will do guild missions once a week you might be able in 2 or 3 weeks depending get the 10 necessary. But what about small guilds or guilds that have lost people and can maybe only get 1 or 2 commendations a week depending on how lucky the guild mission list is? That's a pretty long time to invest in a skin with so many other shiny things to get.

But don't you love the fact that you aren't charged a monthly user fee? And don't you love that fact that "this is a totally cosmetic skin" that you don't need to progress or compete in any part of the game? Also, don't you love that fact that you can exchange game gold for gems and get the cape for $0?

I like the look of the gem store cape, but the price seems high to me as well. At 100 each, I would be likely to get one for each avatar. At 500, it will take a while to talk myself into buying 1 (and it may not happen). I am not a big gem store customer anyway, because almost everything in the gem store is overpriced.

The guild cape is the ugly half cape, I would not wear it if it were free...

@"Swagger.1459" said:But don't you love the fact that you aren't charged a monthly user fee? And don't you love that fact that "this is a totally cosmetic skin" that you don't need to progress or compete in any part of the game? Also, don't you love that fact that you can exchange game gold for gems and get the cape for $0?

Sure this game is free of a monthly sub, but its also my opinion that paying for a cosmetic item like this is worth a certain amount of my time and money on either side of the equation. There is also the fact that not everyone plays enough to convert enough gold to gems nor wishes to. It my opinion to have and to state on a message board so that the development team can have feedback from my perspective.

@Head Kracker.4790 said:

@"Swagger.1459" said:But don't you love the fact that you aren't charged a monthly user fee? And don't you love that fact that "this is a totally cosmetic skin" that you don't need to progress or compete in any part of the game? Also, don't you love that fact that you can exchange game gold for gems and get the cape for $0?

Sure this game is free of a monthly sub, but its also my opinion that paying for a cosmetic item like this is worth a certain amount of my time and money on either side of the equation. There is also the fact that not everyone plays enough to convert enough gold to gems nor wishes to. It my opinion to have and to state on a message board so that the development team can have feedback from my perspective.

Sure, that’s fine, but from their perspective, they don’t change you a monthly user free, they give players the option to exchange gold to gems to get nonessential items for free... but have to pay for future development, pay bills, pay employees, pay taxes, pay NCSoft... and a plethora of other things they have to pay for... while some players complain about nonessential items that may cost them $10 if they decided to fork over the cash, as opposed to exchanging gold for gems.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:But don't you love the fact that you aren't charged a monthly user fee? And don't you love that fact that "this is a totally cosmetic skin" that you don't need to progress or compete in any part of the game? Also, don't you love that fact that you can exchange game gold for gems and get the cape for $0?

Sure, that’s fine, but from their perspective, they don’t change you a monthly user free, they give players the option to exchange gold to gems to get nonessential items for free... but have to pay for future development, pay bills, pay employees, pay taxes, pay NCSoft... and a plethora of other things they have to pay for... while some players complain about nonessential items that may cost them $10 if they decided to fork over the cash, as opposed to exchanging gold for gems.

So then let me turn this around on you, did you buy the cape from the gem store by converting gold to gems, or did you buy the cape on the gem store by using a real money? Or did you buy the cape at all? Only one of these questions actually gave Arena Net money directly. I'm very curious to your answer.

@Head Kracker.4790 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:But don't you love the fact that you aren't charged a monthly user fee? And don't you love that fact that "this is a totally cosmetic skin" that you don't need to progress or compete in any part of the game? Also, don't you love that fact that you can exchange game gold for gems and get the cape for $0?

So then let me turn this around on you, did you buy the cape from the gem store by converting gold to gems, or did you buy the cape on the gem store by using a real money? Or did you buy the cape at all? Only one of these questions actually gave Arena Net money directly. I'm very curious to your answer.

That has nothing to do with this thread, or my comments.

You have issues with spending $10, then wait until you accumulate the gold to get it for free. Your problem will be resolved then.

@Swagger.1459 said:

You have issues with spending $10, then wait until you accumulate the gold to get it for free. Your problem will be resolved then.

Actually it DOES have everything to do with this thread and your comments since you can vote to pay for a cosmetic item or not which is what this threads about. I did not pay with my money on either item because I did not find the worth to pay either amount for either item be it from conversion or by buying gems. Asking what you did in relation to what your replying to is only fair considering your opinions on the matter. I think this is the last response I'm going to give to you since it seems your just firing for effect, rather than openly contributing.

@Head Kracker.4790 said:I want to first go on record that as somebody who played superheros MMo's that I really appreciate the cape options that have came and will be coming. However I really dislike the cost for both options at this time.

For the gem store one, I like that it is dyeable, I like the look, its a very nice cape. I personally believe it is 100 gems too much for a cosmetic item. I believe this about a lot of armor skins you put out. I certainly don't know how your in house game economists choose the gem price for items you put out, but if you had done a flat 400 I might also be inclined to purchase it and other skins. I mean if these were actual armor bits going 500 + on gems would make more sense but this is a totally cosmetic skin. The lowest amount of gems purchasable is 10 dollars . While I understand that your trying to encourage people to spend money so that you can create more content I think that your pricing is more self defeating in some ways.

I personally feel id be more likely to blow cash if I'm getting 2 skins for 800 . This is my opinion though.

Onto the Guild cape, this is where the real disappointment steps in. First off I don't mind that I have to pay for it, I do mind that its a half cape and 10 gold and 10 commendations. This feels sorta like a gouge to me especially when all the other guild backpieces are 5 gold and 5 commendations. This really doesn't feel like a 10 gold and 10 commendation skin. Again if it was like the other offered guild back parts that carried stats that might change my mind....but ten gold for a half cape skin alongside 10 commendations?

For those that are about to say that 10 gold isn't much your quite correct, 5 days of dailies or just doing general events would snag enough gold within a week to afford that part. Its the 10 commendations to somebody in a small guild that's really my clincher price wise. If you have a fairly active and large guild that will do guild missions once a week you might be able in 2 or 3 weeks depending get the 10 necessary. But what about small guilds or guilds that have lost people and can maybe only get 1 or 2 commendations a week depending on how lucky the guild mission list is? That's a pretty long time to invest in a skin with so many other shiny things to get.

Seems right in line with other backpacks with no glider.

@Head Kracker.4790 said:

Actually it DOES have everything to do with this thread and your comments since you can vote to pay for a cosmetic item or not which is what this threads about. I did not pay with my money on either item because I did not find the worth to pay either amount for either item be it from conversion or by buying gems. Asking what you did in relation to what your replying to is only fair considering your opinions on the matter. I think this is the last response I'm going to give to you since it seems your just firing for effect, rather than openly contributing.

If you need it now, and must absolutely have it, then spend the $. If you can wait, then exchange gold to gems later. You decide, but you're not getting sympathy from me for complaining about a cheap and nonessential cosmetic item offered by a game company that doesn't charge you a monthly user fee to play, and one that graciously offer a free path to any item on the gem store.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Personally, I am disappointed in this addition because I would rather the resources have been spent on actual content.

We literally just had a new ls episode like a week ago though. That is new content. We can have both.

Sure, sure. What about PvP or WvW? Have they received any new content recently? I'm not trying to kitten on anyone's cape-party. I just expressed my personal opinion.

Others of us are so disillusioned about our preferred modes we’ve kind of given up complaining about it..

yeah because same people that makes skins make pvp/wvw content.....