Official capes discussion thread

I love the cape. Thanks ANET! I am looking forward to all the cape fun. Let’s help brainstorm ideas. I will start.

Winter’s Day FROZEN

Halloween spiderwebbed

Tattered

Norn animal skin with paws tied around the neck

Asuran- from the back it looks sorta like a graduation gown, there is a scholar’s stole, one for each college. Thrown in a graduation cap.

Swashbuckling three musketeers cape

Glitter and rainbow

Waterfall / snowfall

Blanket of flowers similar to the flowery glider

Old king cole - royal fur trimmed

Napoleon / George Washington style

Simple plain, short cloth cape

Simple plain, short leather cape

Dracula

One for each of the orders

Egyptian god/goddess for Path of Fire

One to match Logan’s armor

Asymmetrical worn over one shoulder

Raven feathers Full cape which pairs well with the raven shoulders

I was hoping when they said you could buy the guild version from the commendations trader, that you just basically bought the ability to add your guild emblem to the gem store cape. That way everyone could be happy but I understand that since they are 2 different ones, they would make the one for in game gold a lesser version. I will most likely buy the gem store one but I wish I could add my guild's emblem to that one. I'd gladly pay 10 gold and 10 commendations to just add my emblem to the store bought one.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Personally, I am disappointed in this addition because I would rather the resources have been spent on actual content.

We literally just had a new ls episode like a week ago though. That is new content. We can have both.

Sure, sure. What about PvP or WvW? Have they received any new content recently? I'm not trying to kitten on anyone's cape-party. I just expressed my personal opinion.

Others of us are so disillusioned about our preferred modes we’ve kind of given up complaining about it..

yeah because same people that makes skins make pvp/wvw content.....

I would have been disappointed to not have a comment like this come up.

Thank you for living down to the standard that has been set.

@Substance E.4852 said:

@"Dahkeus.8243" said:GW2 Fanbase: zOMG! Give me things, but don't make me pay for them!

Also GW2 Fanbase: Why are devs leaving ANet to go to other companies!?!

"Wow, this cape is a bit pricey, maybe bump it down to at least the same price as that elaborate chair you just released?"

"Oh so what you're saying is you don't want to pay anything, huh?!"

This is why discourse on the internet is effectively dead

Totally.

Its also the bad argument people go to when someone asks for the grind to get toned down. Ask for 10 hour grind to be toned down to 8 and people interpret that as you not wanting to work for it at all.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@"Dahkeus.8243" said:GW2 Fanbase: zOMG! Give me things, but don't make me pay for them!

Also GW2 Fanbase: Why are devs leaving ANet to go to other companies!?!

"Wow, this cape is a bit pricey, maybe bump it down to at least the same price as that elaborate chair you just released?"

"Oh so what you're saying is you don't want to pay anything, huh?!"

This is why discourse on the internet is effectively dead

The irony in the fact that the post right after yours is someone saying they don't want to pay money at all for capes.

The irony to that irony is that people lump in anyone who asks for a fair value change with those that want it absolutely free.

Agree with the OP that they probably would sell better at 400 gems, but honestly I thought they'd be classed as 'prestige items' and put out at 1,000 gems each. That's really the kind of thing I've come to expect. They'll sell fine at 500 (or any price, honestly), but that doesn't mean people aren't entitled to their opinion.

Re: Small Guilds; there are several mega guilds built specifically to run missions of all kinds with people, and you can join/leave them at any time. Their only purpose is to make guild missions (and their loot) more easy access. I've also had good luck using LFG for this purpose or, by being crafty, finding other guilds running races. You can stumble across another guild doing a race at 15/15 completions, and so long as you activate your guild's mission and run that race 1 time, you and your guild will get credit. Gotta be sly when you're tiny.

Firstly, let me say thanks for reintroducing a staple from the GW1 game.Secondly, capes on large norn look like they're wearing tea towels. They need to be proportionate the same as what I've seen on humans, etc.I would totally rock a cape on my main norn if it didn't look so ridiculous.

I'd show just how stupid this looks but I don't have an image hosting site. If someone else has a norn to show/compare please post, thanks.

The cape floats 2 feet off the characters' backs. I first saw it on charr, and thought "Yeah, more stuff that looks like trash on charr, no surprise there," but then I went to look at the cape on my human and my norn. And it looks awful on them too! It's no surprise that in the cape video, you only see the cape from the backs of the characters--if they showed a sideview, it would reveal how ridiculous they are. I'd prefer clipping over something that floats so badly.

@Weindrasi.3805 said:The cape floats 2 feet off the characters' backs.

Only on Charr, where it looks truly horrible, like most back pieces. I use it on only one of my characters, because the theme fits him perfectly: my human ranger. I dyed it in proper colors (brown and green) and it looks really awesome in combination with his shoulder pieces.

Unfortunately, it doesn't suit all characters. I really hope they will eventually provide us with a hooded cloak for a cape or a head piece that extends the cape to turn both pieces combined into a hooded cloak design. Please? <3 :)

@Pixeltrix.9736 said:I think people were so anxious to get a cape that when they noticed how stupid the guild cape was they bought the gemstore one because they couldnt wait several months for anet to add an actual cape obtainable ingame... i wouldnt call that a success, more like desperation from a lack of options...

You think there will be another cape available outside the gemstore ? Hah!

I’m disappointed that backpack Dye slots aren’t going to be retroactively added to existing back items tbh. All this has shown is that dye slots can be added to the back item slot. Anet can’t make a buck from this actual QoL addition, so they won’t do it. Which is unfortunate imo.We already have glider and back items sets, of which the glider can be dyed and back item not. The dye parameter exists for them already.

Not a fan of capes. And I’ve not seen one in game yet, so I don’t think they’re as popular as one thinks.

I'm happy that you're happy, but please don't assume I care about capes. I generally played GW1 with my cape turned off, since they don't fit my aesthetic style - so I'm in no rush to buy one.

Personally? I think a true cape/cloak needs to either be a chestpiece or outfit - just shoving it on as a discount superhero backpack doesn't do the idea any credit.

@Tukaram.8256 said:Yeah, that is the guild cape. It is too short for anyone. The gem store cape looks pretty good, but is too expensive to buy for each of my avatars. I have to decide which one gets it...

I've not had time to log in since the update hit, but if it works like every other gem store skin you'll only need to buy 1 and then it will be unlocked in the wardrobe for all your characters to use.

You'll be able to use the item from the mail to apply the skin for free to 1 back item, then use transmutation charges and the skin in the wardrobe to apply it to any others. So you can have as many copies as you want, as long as you have the transmutation charges (and if you don't you can get them free from map completion or PvP and WvW reward tracks).