redesign of boons an conditions

Taobella.6597

What if WvW was changed so you cant have all the boons at once let say you have up to 5 boons on you at a time. and 5 condition type at a time.

WvW has gotten to a state where it just a mess of boons and conditions. the game should be about knowing how to fight not who can spam most amount of kitten on other.

now we both know this probably never happen But let talk as if it was possible idea. because this is one way to lower server lag

The problem is that almost everything is a boon or a condition. Instead of unique mechanisms. Some skills should renegerate health without applying regeneration. Or speed up muvement (like rev shiro skill) instead of swiftness or quickness. If everything is a boon or condition it becomes a game of spamming them instead of actually thinking why you even want them

@Virdo.1540 said:iirc they said they wanna turn down the whole boon-application a bit. I hope it comes soon

Many traits and skills have already been changed to provide bursts of boons instead of permanent uptimes. Others only apply boons in favor of trait procs that work off of boon application (Shield Master on Warrior for example giving 1 second of Might per block only exists to heal in tandem with MMR)

@Sansar.1302 said:Maby boons should in WvW should only be personal?

Aren't they already, when you take a look how range work for each boon (depending on skill and profession)? Some have a very low range which make them less useful when you play in WvW and need to have distance from other player due to siege weapon (AoE).

It is hard to imagine that a game mode where there is many possible way of playing (all from solo to large groups), suddenly should have only personal boons. Herald where introduced into this game (HoT) as one that could manipulate boons or condition, same for Mesmer and Necromancer (and probably other professions). How would a personal boon (or condition) work without a total redesign of every skill, every combo field and the mechanic each profession have been built around?

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Virdo.1540 said:iirc they said they wanna turn down the whole boon-application a bit. I hope it comes soon

Many traits and skills have already been changed to provide bursts of boons instead of permanent uptimes. Others only apply boons in favor of trait procs that work off of boon application (Shield Master on Warrior for example giving 1 second of Might per block only exists to heal in tandem with MMR)

I'm pretty sure that 1s might duration was their cue to the Dev team to rework the trait just like DP and LS.

Each boon should have a maximum duration limit that they stack up to and there should be a cap on condis in WvW/PvP. The cap needed to go in PvE, but they had no business in getting rid of it in the competitive modes. I think it was 25 stacks max per condition right? Maybe it should be 10 stacks instead in the competitive modes. Nah, I've been on the dishing out end of that before... 5 stacks might be more appropriate. Putting +10 stacks of burn on a target is cancer.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:The problem isn’t boons. It’s specifically Protection uptime combined with stupid things like -10% damage food. That’s already -43% incoming damage. Slot some toughness and get some healers and it’s GG.

Its multiplicative, so its ~40% reduction with those two items not 43. Some sources like the guardian signet stack additively though.

You are right though that there are several sources of long protection uptime, particularly with Diviner's stats available. You can almost perma upkeep protection with one trait and rune combination on ranger for instance if you have 100% duration on protection, and all it requires if you to take a hit from the enemy. ZERO skill involved. Its a 93% uptime, but its trivial to make it 100% uptime with another source.

That same rune, diviner's stats on warrior and Guard Counter is also almost 100% uptime so long as you can proc Full Counter, but that requires you to time FC properly and for the enemy to not attack when they see the guard stance.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I'm pretty sure that 1s might duration was their cue to the Dev team to rework the trait just like DP and LS.

Each boon should have a maximum duration limit that they stack up to and there should be a cap on condis in WvW/PvP. The cap needed to go in PvE, but they had no business in getting rid of it in the competitive modes. I think it was 25 stacks max per condition right? Maybe it should be 10 stacks instead in the competitive modes. Nah, I've been on the dishing out end of that before... 5 stacks might be more appropriate. Putting +10 stacks of burn on a target is cancer.

Yeah, that sounds good. But let's cap power damage at 5k. No, you know what? Some classes can land 5k hits too quickly, which is cancer. Let's make it 3.5k max. Yeah, that's good.

Oh, I just thought about it and we should also have a boon that works just like resistance, except it makes you invulnerable to power damage. Taking damage really cramps my style. I feel like we should just get rid of it.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

Yeah, that sounds good. But let's cap power damage at 5k. No, you know what? Some classes can land 5k hits too quickly, which is cancer. Let's make it 3.5k max. Yeah, that's good.

I know that is sarcasm, but I don't actually disagree with that.

Oh, I just thought about it and we should also have a boon that works just like resistance, except it makes you invulnerable to power damage. Taking damage really cramps my style. I feel like we should just get rid of it.

There are classes that actually have that and can't have it stripped or corrupted, go play one.

Different Boon steal and Boon rip have differnt priority, my build used to be heavily reliant on boon steal and the order or sequence I'd take them and if I'm taking only duration or a full stack. I would order my openers by what I wanted to take and it was fine for the most part, but everyone else around you need to capitalize on it when you open someone up or reapplication lets that blob absorb everything. I think even with those caps it will still come down to one blob or squad throwing out flak for another squad with at least somewhat of a team composition building to get stuff through.

@aspirine.6852 said:

@Sansar.1302 said:Maby boons should in WvW should only be personal?

All of the healing was supposed to be personal if I remember their sacred blueprint for the game. No dedicated healers, not protectors, no booners. Well that didnt last.

Well people gave out boons at day one to allies, so the no booners thing is wrong. But they did want there to be no dedicated healers, Druid and FB screwed that pooch.