About the people who won't get free Curious Creatures Mount Select License after the rollback

I am one of the ppl who stayed in lions arch after the rollback happened. I was playing with friends and if the rollback had not happened, we would keep playing as normal so we did lose progression that day. Same goes to most ppl who stayed in lions arch. Just cause we didn’t go back to wherever we were and played doesn’t mean we did not lose whatever gold or progression we would have gotten during that time.

However I feel bad for the ppl who came back from work or whatever later that day to play but could not log in cause of maintenance. They got affected by this too.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tiilimon.6094 said:

@deadlyjoker.4907 said:Because, how should I know I had to log in a bit earlier, when it was still possible. The loss is still there, because I didn't have the chance to get what I usually get in that time.

But if you didn't log in earlier, you were not affected by the rollback the same way as people who did.Why do you feel entitled to the same kind of compensation as them?

They surely should have given something better than that bonfire to compensate for the downtime, tho.

The majority of people only lost a couple gold and some time. SOME people lost Leggys and so on - but SOME duped!

Anet is ALSO restoring those losses.

So stop acting like people who missed an ENTIRE DAY OF PLAY after 2 days of laggy mess didn't also lose out. >:(

Well, I feel pretty bad right now, because I got the skin, but forced my fiancee not to login, so her account won't be messed up, and now she doesn't have same "gift" :disappointed: I need to hide it from her, or she will be VERY disappointed! :anguished:

@"Suowik.4507" said:Well, I feel pretty bad right now, because I got the skin, but forced my fiancee not to login, so her account won't be messed up, and now she doesn't have same "gift" :disappointed: I need to hide it from her, or she will be VERY disappointed! :anguished:

Ask you girlfriend if she have enough space in inbox (10 mail is the max) as it might be that it is full when ANet autosend out mail with items and that is why she don't see any new mail with those items. I don't know for sure if that is the reason, but it is worth to make sure that it isn't just as simple that inbox is full and mail server have put that on hold until there is space to receive mail.

@ShadowCatz.8437 said:

@"Suowik.4507" said:Well, I feel pretty bad right now, because I got the skin, but forced my fiancee not to login, so her account won't be messed up, and now she doesn't have same "gift" :disappointed: I need to hide it from her, or she will be VERY disappointed! :anguished:

Ask you girlfriend if she have enough space in inbox (10 mail is the max) as it might be that it is full when ANet autosend out mail with items and that is why she don't see any new mail with those items. I don't know for sure if that is the reason, but it is worth to make sure that it isn't just as simple that inbox is full and mail server have put that on hold until there is space to receive mail.

Unfortunatelly nope. And she got the e-mail with the bonfire, in which I got the skin, so it's not the case here.

There are 3 ways ANET could have dealt with the time lost between the rollback and server shutdown:

1. Noone gets anything as compensation. People who played within that specific timeframe get laughed at by others ("duuuuude, you saw the rollback, joke is on you, you had it coming omegalul keke")
  2. Everyone gets compensation. People who played -again, between rollback and server shutdown - wasted their time, in comparison to those who didnt know/didnt log so as to not lose more progress in case or restoration. Again, vocal minorities will also be "Hah! You shouldnt have played! HAHA! I was smarter than you to not log in!"
  3. ANET compensates those who were online during that time, cannot possibly know who made gold/progress without spending a tremendous amount of time and resources to useless tickets for months. You can see what arguments people make "i could have played! I could have dropped 35 precs! I could have finished all 16 SAB tribulation W1 and W2 achievs! I could have won a nobel prize!"

ANET chose 3. Make no mistake, people who claim that they knowingly didnt log so as to not... Burden the servers, actually mean they were afraid they would lose any progress made (and potential drops etc). Option 3 seems like the fairest of all, but that is irrelevant. I frequent these forums a lot and can quit honestly tell you that no matter what ANET chose, there would be backlash. Same backlash there is now. Silly arguments, entitlement, you know what happens here.Personally, I am simply happy that I didnt lose 3 days' worth of gametime.

@Suowik.4507 said:

@Suowik.4507 said:Well, I feel pretty bad right now, because I got the skin, but forced my fiancee not to login, so her account won't be messed up, and now she doesn't have same "gift" :disappointed: I need to hide it from her, or she will be VERY disappointed! :anguished:

Unfortunatelly nope. And she got the e-mail with the bonfire, in which I got the skin, so it's not the case here.

Not much to do otherwise then wait and make sure that there is enough space to receive mail.

I removed some mails and after a couple of hours had a mail with both in it, so it is possible that she needs to just clear out space and wait and see if ANet have reconsidered to add mount skin to those that did get just Bonfire in the first wave.

I don't know for sure, but lets hope that it is what is going on right now. With the number of players that where effected of this issue and how complex this rollback where it might be that it take some time.

Just one thought: did you get both mount skin and bonfire or just mount skin and she got bonfire?

@"coso.9173" said:About setting an ugly precedent, it's true. But if they compensated everyone for server downtime, it would also set up an ugly precedent. People in the future always expecting a 1200 gems item, each time the servers go down unexpectedly.

They already set this precedent of expecting a 1200 gems item if the servers go down, by giving a 1200 gems item because the servers went down. They cannot reverse this, it's already done. Only with the way they handled it, they tell players, in case of such an emergency again, to spam the login button and ignore all comments that there is something wrong with the game. "There was a rollback, players are losing progress!" "No problem, I will log in, afk in LA, while they solve the problems to get my reward"

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"coso.9173" said:About setting an ugly precedent, it's true. But if they compensated everyone for server downtime, it would also set up an ugly precedent. People in the future always expecting a 1200 gems item, each time the servers go down unexpectedly.

They already set this precedent of expecting a 1200 gems item if the servers go down, by giving a 1200 gems item because the servers went down. They cannot reverse this, it's already done. Only with the way they handled it, they tell players, in case of such an emergency again, to spam the login button and ignore all comments that there is something wrong with the game. "There was a rollback, players are losing progress!" "No problem, I will log in, afk in LA, while they solve the problems to get my reward"

What would be wrong with that?

Woah I did not expect so many people to react :o.

I can understand all your perspectives on the matter and I respect them all.I do appreciate the compensation but my main point of disagreement is the fact that people who just played in a small window of 6 hours suddenly get a free gem store item worth of 1200 gems while the rest of us will be getting compensated with an item worth of 300 gems.The difference is just way to big, 4 times more the value for just being online.

As you have read multiple posts, this does give a wrong message to the gamers. People that talk about a loss talk about losing precursors or loads of gold, but I just know that the biggest part of the player base are just casuals like me which make their earnings by just doing dailies. The risk of losing dailies for getting a 1200 gem compensation is a risk worth taking for the next time :)

if it was just a compensation of max 400 gems then this situation wouldnt have exploded so much.

When she did not log in she won’t get the skin.

@ShadowCatz.8437 said:

@Suowik.4507 said:Well, I feel pretty bad right now, because I got the skin, but forced my fiancee not to login, so her account won't be messed up, and now she doesn't have same "gift" :disappointed: I need to hide it from her, or she will be VERY disappointed! :anguished:

Not much to do otherwise then wait and make sure that there is enough space to receive mail.

I removed some mails and after a couple of hours had a mail with both in it, so it is possible that she needs to just clear out space and wait and see if ANet have reconsidered to add mount skin to those that did get just Bonfire in the first wave.

I don't know for sure, but lets hope that it is what is going on right now. With the number of players that where effected of this issue and how complex this rollback where it might be that it take some time.

Just one thought: did you get both mount skin and bonfire or just mount skin and she got bonfire?Read his post again: his girlfriend didn't log in because he told her not to. She will not get a mount skin. Because she didn't log in.

Must be a great feeling: log in, see there's a problem, log off and tell your friends not to bother logging in because it's pointless playing a messed up game. You just talked your friends out of receiving a free mount skin worth 1200 gems. And people wonder why there is bad blood here.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"trixantea.1230" said:The mount was given as an apology for the people who were affected by the rollback. If you were not affected then why do you want them to send you an "apology" gift?

i'm curious, was there an apology letter written by Anet of the incident?

This I think counts since they do apologise

Thank you for your patience. Maintenance has concluded and you should be able to log in to GW2 on EU servers again.

As part of the fix, we have restored all EU player accounts to their standing at roughly 2:40 AM PT on May 11. We're continuing to help players who are still missing items, or who made gem purchases or in-game transactions after that point. Please check your account carefully. If you find that you are still missing items or account progress, submit a ticket and Customer Support will help you as soon as possible.

We apologize for the frustration and inconvenience this incident caused and are exploring ways to make up the downtime to our player community
._

Thank You! for posting this.

After reading the responses, i agree, that there should have never been any partial treatments in the compensation. The compensation should have treated everyone equally and fairly without having any exceptions.

So Anet did one thing right by writing an apology letter to everyone yet failed to treat the results and its effect the same.

in this case, i do not like partial treatments because in the end, like Toxicity, it affects everyone

-
i encourage Anet to rethink this and to compensate everyone the same
-

I disagree. I think players who had partial account wipes were rightfully the ones they chose to compensate and not players like me who risked nothing and stayed away - although to be honest I'm not really in favour of compensation in such matters that much anyway. Compensation is for genuine problems and this wasn't a major issue. If they felt they had to compensate, they went down the right road imo.

However, my opinion is moot. I can safely say Anet will change their stance. The fact they haven't even merged things is usually a sign they are deep in the progress of thinking this over. Before all is said and done, I think those on the "disagree" side will get what they want and we can all just move on and like any forum drama, it'll be over and forgotten by next week.

I only logged in for 5 seconds and still got the mount. Can you please explain the logic? :)

@Mortifer.2946 said:

@"trixantea.1230" said:The mount was given as an apology for the people who were affected by the rollback. If you were not affected then why do you want them to send you an "apology" gift?

Thank you for your patience. Maintenance has concluded and you should be able to log in to GW2 on EU servers again.

As part of the fix, we have restored all EU player accounts to their standing at roughly 2:40 AM PT on May 11. We're continuing to help players who are still missing items, or who made gem purchases or in-game transactions after that point. Please check your account carefully. If you find that you are still missing items or account progress, submit a ticket and Customer Support will help you as soon as possible.

We apologize for the frustration and inconvenience this incident caused and are exploring ways to make up the downtime to our player community
._

After reading the responses, i agree, that there should have never been any partial treatments in the compensation. The compensation should have treated everyone equally and fairly without having any exceptions.

So Anet did one thing right by writing an apology letter to everyone yet failed to treat the results and its effect the same.

in this case, i do not like partial treatments because in the end, like Toxicity, it affects everyone

-
-

I disagree. I think players who had partial account wipes were rightfully the ones they chose to compensate and not players like me who risked nothing and stayed away - although to be honest I'm not really in favour of compensation in such matters that much anyway. Compensation is for genuine problems and this wasn't a major issue. If they felt they had to compensate, they went down the right road imo.

However, my opinion is moot. I can safely say Anet will change their stance. The fact they haven't even merged things is usually a sign they are deep in the progress of thinking this over. Before all is said and done, I think those on the "disagree" side will get what they want and we can all just move on and like any forum drama, it'll be over and forgotten by next week.

I only logged in for 5 seconds and still got the mount. Can you please explain the logic? :)

They can’t check every account that was online individually and check how much was lost. So they decided to compensate every account that was online.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

Just one thought: did you get both mount skin and bonfire or just mount skin and she got bonfire?Read his post again: his girlfriend didn't log in because he told her not to. She will not get a mount skin. Because she didn't log in.

Must be a great feeling: log in, see there's a problem, log off and tell your friends not to bother logging in because it's pointless playing a messed up game. You just talked your friends out of receiving a free mount skin worth 1200 gems. And people wonder why there is bad blood here.

Exactly this. And because of the fact that's my fiancee I'd gladly just pass the skin to her, but ofc I'm unable to do so...

All of you smart guys here are so missing the point. Go back to your US servers. Everyone at EU who visits this forum or Reddit knows that the players who meant the absolute best during the rollback didn't log in even though they wanted to play. All of them got affected by not being able to play.

Now there was a small percentage of not so intelligent people who were actually playing even though the whole game burst with map wide freaking up that the game rollbacked. Every sane person wouldn't do any progress at that moment

Then there were some exploiters who wanted to exploit. Not sure if they actually managed to earn something but still there is no punishment there

And then there are folks like me who couldn't stand it had to log in to check if they also lost their stuff... It took me 5 seconds of being logged in to find out i did. Then. i logged out because I actually have to work during Monday! :D

The next day, boom, the community is split, because luckers like me got 1200 gem selectable mount skin, while the rest only got totally pointless item that take out your inventory

I think people are overreacting here. It is just a mount skin, a cosmetic. And as someone else has already pointed out, Anet never made the statement that you should stay offline in that time. People made that conclusion themselves and stayed away. That's fine.

If you give out the licence to everyone, then it stops being a compensation and becomes a free gift instead. It is supposed to compensate. The only way they can ensure that it works as a compensation is by giving it just out to people who actually logged in. Because if I am busy with work and wasn't able to log in in that period of time anyways, then all these things about losing playtime, being thoughtful of Anet and everything doesn't apply.

At this point, I didn't get compensated for anything since there was nothing to compensate. I just got a free gift. Anet wants this to be a compensation and are acting on it.

And another argument I want to address: I read someone saying that Anet should just hand it out to everyone since digital content doesn't cost you anything. That is not how this works, even if the content is digital and therefore there are potentially endless copies of it, giving out digital content for free is always a money loss. If the content is given out for free, then this means the content gets sold less, netting less money for Anet.

Well anyone who used their brain should have come to the logical conclusion that logging in while the servers are having issues is a bad idea. Item and progress loss was guaranteed if you logged in after the server went back to a previous state. Logging in after the fix also wasn't the smartest idea due to stability issues.And a lot of people did just that, leave the game be for a while, the responsible thing. Now Anet seems to be "rewarding" the ones that did the exact opposite. That's my only gripe with the situation, skin or no skin.

Oh and they should have extended SAB.

99% of players who logged in knew they would lose this progress, it was obvious. If they chose to make some progress, it was their decision. I agree some people should be compensated - it should be done on individual basis, not for people like me, who stand still for a couple of minutes in DR and LA. Btw, I decided to left the game after this incident.

I don't think that the people who already got their mount would mind if rest of their friends got one too :) everyone got affected. After work, I wasn't able to play in the evening. Plus we were all scared something major happened and we lost progress. I killed 6 raid bosses that weekend and many hard achievements. I was scared a bit, and I can't imagine how some players more serious about the game felt.

I just want everyone to be treated equally, logged in or not.

@yoni.7015 said:

._

-
-

They can’t check every account that was online individually and check how much was lost. So they decided to compensate every account that was online.

ANet made it crystal clear what they want people to do if something happen again in several years : log in massively to the point of saturating the servers.

I do agree that the way this has been done was not perfect - it would probably have been way better if they just had given anyone that logged in within the last 5 Days a 400 Gem random Mount ticket etc.

But some people here are over the top and the statements just get absurd. Lets be honest - most ppl that didn't login after they heard didn't do that because the only reason of their existence is to help ArenaNet and the GW2 Servers but simply because they were afraid to loose even more stuff etc. - sorry but some posts are almost getting comical.

Also people attacking people who just logged in as absurd aswell - so are the comparisons with Corona etc. - reality is most people just logged in like they usually do - there was no indication of anything in the launcher and - lets be honest - nobody checks twitter the forums etc. before every login - not to mention that there was a long time without any message.

I did login aswell - there was no notification of any problem - the only indication i really saw was after some time i thought - am i crazy or do i miss tons of loot from my last run - so i started asking arround and found out about the issue after some time. At that point there was no official message and nobody knew what would happen - some thought the game would just continue and the progress was lost - others thought maybe they will reload a backup if this is even possible etc.

So yes if i didnt get it i would be mad aswell and i think they didnt handle this whole situation very good (almost no information, and the little we got was pretty late) - not to mention this rather random gift. I think they should have just given everyone that logged in within the last 5 days before the shutdown a 400 gem random mount - that would probably barely lost them future sales - and 99% of the ppl would have been pleased and it would have created goodwill. Also they should have communicated way more with the community - what was happening, and what they were trying to do etc.

@Kulvar.1239"ANet made it crystal clear what they want people to do if something happen again in several years : log in massively to the point of saturating the servers."

Lets stop pretending this was only about helping the Servers - the main reason was ppl beeing afraid of loosing even more by logging in. And lets be realistic, there was a rollback - the servers were running. It wouldnt have made any difference if more ppl logged in - how exactly did not loggin in help the Servers or Arenanet - in reality it was just about ppl beeing afraid of loosing more personal stuff - which is perfectly fine.

I'm really sorry but i just cant stand all that postings that read like this forum is full of the nicest most selfless people on earth that never think about anything but others ... - especially when they after not getting a gift suddenly become the first people to mainly think about themselves. Yes this wasnt handeled great but people didnt login because they were afraid to loose their stuff - not because their sole existence is about helping GW2-Servers and Arenanet. And people who logged in were not selfish - there was no indication that something was wrong - and no no normal person checks twitter etc. before every login - and yes there never was a message in the launcher.

But yes they should handle this differently.

I gave this a bit more thought. One side claims that people that did not log in desere no "reward" (= compensation, the skin) since they did not lost anything. I say: There are others that logged in and didn't gain any progress which they could have lost. They still got the license as a reward.

Now I can see that it would create another problem if just all accounts got the license: We don't know if they would even have played during that time.

It comes down to the decision to not log in because of the possible rollback of monday. (Should they not have been able to restore the progress from the weekend then the progress from monday would still be there but the one from the weekend would be lost.)

And that's exactly where I the problem lies: Same decisions lead to different rewards. (Or chances at rewards.) If you open a black lion chest you have the same chance as every other person. (Some are just more lucky.) Here people made the decision to not gain any progress. Just some did not log in at all. Others that logged in and saw there was a rollback and then immediately logged out ... they basically made the same decision (not playing) but they got the mount license and the other ones did not.

Honestly ... not giving "compensation" at all (especially if they also restore certain expensive stuff for people that got the license) would have been the beest way to handle t his. (With announcing that they are thinking about compensation the players probably expected some already though.)

2nd best way would have been to give a small compensation (like the black lion keys mentioned). Here it would not have mattered that much for people that didn't get them (when others that made the same decision - as I explained above - got them). I mean ... you always can say to yourself "hey I probably would only have gotten worthles stuff with that key since I'm unlucky most of the time".

With the mount it is a skin for sure. And they'll always see those others that logged in but also made the same decision. It is not about people that are jealous that people who did make a different decision (to gain progress and play a lot) gained a different reward/compensation. It is that 2 types of players that made the same decision but got a different outcome. (It was purely luck.)

Since ArenaNet did not give another reaction by now I guess we won't see any changes to the situation. I only hope they will take more time in the future should something happen again. I mean it only took 1 or 2 days for them to announce the compensation. When banning the people trying to duplicate items and restoring expensive progress (afaik they are doing it and people are able to write customer support tickets in case of a precursor and so on) should have been the #1 priority they also hastily thought about the compensation which led to this problems.

Taking 1 or 2 week to think about how to compensate would have been okay in this case ... since the compensation does not restore stuff that is needed to play other stuff. The skin is something independently from the other progress. If people got it now or on 1 or 2 weeks would not have made a big difference.

How I would fix this now (I doubt it will happen though): I still think everyone should get the skin ... but only the people that logged in within the last 30 days. (That also got the bonfire.) That would probably include the ones that made the same decision. (-> Treating the ones thag logged to find the rollback and then immediely logging out to not gain progress - the same as the ones that - did not log in at all because they decided to do so because of the rollback.)

That 30 days is somewhat a period to guess "active" players. (That might have made the decision.) Of course we don't know that for sure and there will be people that might have started the game just at that day. And we will have people that played the last 30 days before the problem but just decided to not play at all at monday. But yeah ... further improvement would need to really give skins to all people then.

For the people that lost expensive progress the customer support should do their best to restore it. (I heard of legendary insights from raids that someone got restored in addition to getting the license.)

For the future: Give everyone that logged in in the last 30 days the same compensation. But make it much smaller so people that didn't log in in the last 30 days but wanted to start with the game just at the day the problem occured (and did not log in because of it) would not feel too bad about having made the same decision as others. (The ones that logged in to see the problem and then logged out to not play - without gaining any progress ... but getting the later compensation cause of their login.)