Level 80 Boost Gear, Is it really ours?

Something that has bothered me for a long time now, this all stems from an accident of placing a valuable infusion into one of the level 80 boost gear that was "given" to my character (the infusion was a+5/+9 agony infusion into one of the "given" exotic earrings). I don't know if anyone else has ever done this and then discovered you cannot remove the infusion, you cannot use a black lion salvage kit to break down the item and get the infusion, you cannot even put the item into the mystic forge, Nothing. The gear they give is okay, with runes for your profession this is okay as well, however as you cannot do anything with the items except to destroy them, are they really your's? If they were you could possibly select the state for the gear you receive? Or take off and sell to purchase the gear you really want? keep or sell the runes to get the runes you want? Some would argue that this could result in people just tearing down the gear selling it all and deleting the character for profit. Ummmm you just popped a 2000 gem ticket to burn it to get a couple gold??? I would just like the Dev's to think on this one. And for others to give there two cents on what they think. My favorite idea is - When you pop a Lvl 80 you get a prompt on your gear to select the stats for your armor piece by piece as well as the weapons and the trinkets, then you get a set of 7 runes of choices as well as Sigils for the weapons. And before I forget.... An Exotic Aquatic helm! (masterwork .... seriously?) All the above should be extract-able, salvageable, sell-able and even perhaps account bound and swap-able with your alts (of the same armor type). Besides we paid for them......

Nothing in this game is yours if you read the Terms of Service and User Agreement.

All gear, characters, assets, etc remain property of Arenanet. You are simply licensed to use them within the game.

@dragonsvail.9057 said:Besides we paid for them......

No, you paid for the license to use these items. You do not own them.

As far as the remaining mumbo jumbo: it's there to ensure no abuse of the boost system and minimize it's effect on the games economy as well as keep the required interaction of staff with this issue minimal. Less options means less possibility of players making decision they regret, for then to contact Customer Support with demands.

Infusion.7149

Other than crafted level 78 backpacks you can't even put infusions into exotics.If it really bothers you, try an infusion extractor or upgrade extractor.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion_Extraction_Device

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

An Extration device was used, and failed, a ticket was entered and a reply of (no such item can be found on your account)

@Cyninja.2954 said:Nothing in this game is yours if you read the Terms of Service and User Agreement.

All gear, characters, assets, etc remain property of Arenanet. You are simply licensed to use them within the game.

As far as the remaining mumbo jumbo: it's there to ensure no abuse of the boost system and minimize it's effect on the games economy as well as keep the required interaction of staff with this issue minimal. Less options means less possibility of players making decision they regret, for then to contact Customer Support with demands.

A mass multitude of items for purchase are able to be sold on the market. Are you saying you wouldn't like to be able to pick the states of the gear you receive? Or at least be able to remove runes or sigils you placed in the said item? Because after you put anything into the above listed item you cannot remove anything you personally placed within them. I noted your Mumbo jumbo as well.

@dragonsvail.9057 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Nothing in this game is yours if you read the Terms of Service and User Agreement.

A mass multitude of items for purchase are able to be sold on the market. Are you saying you wouldn't like to be able to pick the states of the gear you receive? Or at least be able to remove runes or sigils you placed in the said item? Because after you put anything into the above listed item you cannot remove anything you personally placed within them. I noted your Mumbo jumbo as well.

First off, the stats provided from the boost are mostly trash. Soldier gear is useless in pretty much all regards. The only classes with semi useful gear are thief on Valkyrie (probably the most useful stat combination to get out of the boosted stats) and necromancer with Rabid (sort of useful). That's a good thing because it forces players to interact with the gear their character has, hopefully acquiring some understanding in the process, since they just now skipped the entire leveling process. Not every player using a boost is a veteran.

Second, yes, being able to select best in slot stats on boosted characters would have further effects on the game. In many ways beyond the economy. I don't see how this is necessary. Why not simply create level 80 characters in full ascended gear with stat choice? The boost is meant to get you started, not deck you out.

Not being able to remove the predefined sigils and runes is there for balance reasons. Yes, being able to overwrite them and thus not being able to remove the upgrades is unfortunate, yet even this is not unprecedented and has been present in WvW exotics for a while. Even more of a reason to keep the stats provided subpar as to encourage players swap out this gear asap.

Finally, having as much automation and simplicity as possible in this system as to reduce player interaction with CS is favorable. Obviously in your case this did not work since you still wrote a ticket. It will in many other cases though.

The level 80 boost (That you often get with an expansion) isn't meant to fully equip your character in optimal end-game gear. It's meant to just kit out your character in a way where nublets who insta-boost to 80 can do level 80 content without getting smoked by the first OW trash mob (Hence why Soldier gear for high defence instead of something good like Berserker)

Veteran players will either have a plethora of spare gear to use to equip their boosted characters, or the knowhow on how to quickly/easily obtain gear with more ideal stats. While newer players will likely welcome the extra defence as they learn the game and its systems before finding out about gearing more offensively and learning how to play glass cannon.

As far as not being able to salvage the gear, I guess it's there to stop people getting free gold from salvaging a bunch of exotics from their free 80 boost they got with a bundle or expansion (Including Sigils of Force, one of the more expensive Sigils because it is BiS for Power builds in PvE) or chucking the gear into the Mystic Toilet for a chance at some rare Exotics.

To be honest, I'm still surprised that you actually get full Exotics from the boost, I half expected to only be clad in Rares or even Masterwork gear (I guess ANet acknowleges how trash non-Exotic gear actually is...)

@"Taril.8619" said:To be honest, I'm still surprised that you actually get full Exotics from the boost, I half expected to only be clad in Rares or even Masterwork gear (I guess ANet acknowleges how trash non-Exotic gear actually is...)

I leveled a new toon this weekend using tomes, so that's sort of like doing it "manually". I received exotics in the last levels, so I guess the insta-80 derives from that?

As well as the points already raised this also means the level 80 boost gear is equal to the gear obtained by levelling up in other ways, which also cannot be salvaged or sold and has either no choice of stats or a very limited choice.

I'm not sure if the effect on the economy is really a big concern, but I do think it makes sense that level up rewards (from any method of levelling) are just items for the character to use until they get something better and not a source of income.

I think this thread is an indictment of the fashion wars metagame , people would rather spend on cosmetics than having proper gear.Ascended trinkets are extremely easy to obtain in Bjora Marches, if you put a "valuable infusion" (not specified) into an exotic earring (there still hasn't been any confirmation this is even possible) it really shows lack of awareness of the game.

Perhaps it was actually a jewel, which means an upgrade extractor will work in most other instances.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Preserved_Queen_Beehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vial_of_Liquid_Aurilliumhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chak_Egg_Sac

Not really that "valuable" (lower than an upgrade extractor technically):https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Polyluminescent_Undulating_Refractor_(Black)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Polyluminescent_Undulating_Refractor_(Green)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Polyluminescent_Undulating_Refractor_(Orange)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Polyluminescent_Undulating_Refractor_(Teal)

The gear from the upgrade vendor in SW is not the only gear out of which upgrades cannot be extracted. The Exotic Triumphant Gear from the WvW reward track is also like this. Look carefully at Exotic gear before you slot expensive upgrades into it. If it does not have a merchant sell price at the bottom, then there is a chance it will not be salvageable.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:The gear from the upgrade vendor in SW is not the only gear out of which upgrades cannot be extracted. The Exotic Triumphant Gear from the WvW reward track is also like this. Look carefully at Exotic gear before you slot expensive upgrades into it. If it does not have a merchant sell price at the bottom, then there is a chance it will not be salvageable.

Wouldn't it be safer to use GW2 wiki to actually get that information before you slot anything expensive as an upgrade into those slots? A fast way to check for gear is to open BL Trade Post and see if it is being sold at all.

When one play in lower level zones on Tyria there are items one can get as loot that can't be sold to NPC vendor, can not be used for salvage of mats or anything else then destroyed. I don't see that as a big problem as you get items that can sold or used in normal way in large number if you actually play this game.

Level 80 Boost also offer you the opportunity to test your build before you go back to that test NPC in Silverwastes to confirm that you want to keep this as a level 80 character with gear, traists and items you get from confirming this. After you have confirmed you boost, you can use your character as every other character and just buy that item with attributes you want on TP or for Karma (Orr), or buy it with tokens from playing WvW (vendors for WvW). Those you buy with tokens have also restrictions, but it is a fast way to get level 80 gear and start to build towards quad stats or what ever goal you have.

@"Infusion.7149" said:I think this thread is an indictment of the fashion wars metagame , people would rather spend on cosmetics than having proper gear.Ascended trinkets are extremely easy to obtain in Bjora Marches, if you put a "valuable infusion" (not specified) into an exotic earring (there still hasn't been any confirmation this is even possible) it really shows lack of awareness of the game.

Perhaps it was actually a jewel, which means an upgrade extractor will work in most other instances.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Preserved_Queen_Beehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vial_of_Liquid_Aurilliumhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chak_Egg_Sac

Upgrade extractor can't extract from unsalvageable things.

@"IndigoSundown.5419" said:The gear from the upgrade vendor in SW is not the only gear out of which upgrades cannot be extracted. The Exotic Triumphant Gear from the WvW reward track is also like this. Look carefully at Exotic gear before you slot expensive upgrades into it. If it does not have a merchant sell price at the bottom, then there is a chance it will not be salvageable.

Triumphant armor should be salvageable https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/items?ids=78196&lang=enUnsalvageable things have the NoSalvage flag https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/items?ids=78422,78117&lang=en (these are from the boosted gear on a necro)

Most karma vendor items are not salvageable either.

Let me add some much needed clarification. This originally happened to me late in 2015 when the players were gifted a level 80 boost after the Heart of Thorns expansion was released. I had a character that I had been leveling the old fashioned way. After the pop to 80 the gear looked ok and I was gearing up to play a bit with the guild and I had a Polyluminescent Undulating Infusion (Teal) that I had received from the Halloween event previously that same year. I was able to place the Infusion into the earring of the exotic gear. A short time latter after getting some ascended gear I wanted to move the infusion from the exotic trinket into the ascended one and could not. Extractor's of either type would work and could not be broken down via a black lion salvage kit. I presented the ticket to see if they could help with the problem and I received the notification that they were unable to even determine I ever had the infusion in my inventory. (even though I supplied them a screen shot of the infusion in the trinket). Fast forward to this year only a few days ago when a friend wanted to get a character ready to go with our group and stated they had popped an 80 and was gearing there character I immediately warned them about my experience and they said they had never heard of that and that "I should post something on the discussion page." And there you go.

P.S. I have been playing since this wonderful game since 2013 before that it was Guild Wars in 2005. As mentioned in the beginning it was something that had bothered me for "a long time" but I had gotten over it and played on.. Also if I put enough change ideas possibly one of them may sound reasonable to the development team.

@"dragonsvail.9057" said:Let me add some much needed clarification. This originally happened to me late in 2015 when the players were gifted a level 80 boost after the Heart of Thorns expansion was released. I had a character that I had been leveling the old fashioned way. After the pop to 80 the gear looked ok and I was gearing up to play a bit with the guild and I had a Polyluminescent Undulating Infusion (Teal) that I had received from the Halloween event previously that same year. I was able to place the Infusion into the earring of the exotic gear. A short time latter after getting some ascended gear I wanted to move the infusion from the exotic trinket into the ascended one and could not. Extractor's of either type would work and could not be broken down via a black lion salvage kit. I presented the ticket to see if they could help with the problem and I received the notification that they were unable to even determine I ever had the infusion in my inventory. (even though I supplied them a screen shot of the infusion in the trinket). Fast forward to this year only a few days ago when a friend wanted to get a character ready to go with our group and stated they had popped an 80 and was gearing there character I immediately warned them about my experience and they said they had never heard of that and that "I should post something on the discussion page." And there you go.

P.S. I have been playing since this wonderful game since 2013 before that it was Guild Wars in 2005. As mentioned in the beginning it was something that had bothered me for "a long time" but I had gotten over it and played on.. Also if I put enough change ideas possibly one of them may sound reasonable to the development team.

The biggest problem there is poor formatting and yes this matters if you are intent is to have a discussion.

The second biggest problem is that someone on the support team(at the time) is unaware of something as basic as upgrade items being inside of other items which implies poor training for the support staff.

Then we can finally move on to the issue of unsalvageable items. This has multiple parts too. The first part is that the NoSalvage flag is doing double duty for both salvage and extract. Second is the asymmetry. Things can be easily put in but impossible to take out.

The simplest solution would be to make unsalvageable items also impossible to modify but that would ruin the usefulness of many of the karma vendor items.

An optimal solution would be to allow extracting as long as it is not the original upgrade which could be done by implementing a separate NoExtract flag. However the implementation of the upgrade extractor UI makes it difficult to provide proper feedback why an item can't be extracted. All you have is a green and red square for yes and no which means it still leaves some problems unsolved.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"dragonsvail.9057" said:An Extration device was used, and failed, a ticket was entered and a reply of (no such item can be found on your account)

You cannot put any Infusions in exotic gear (with two exceptions):

Hence you must be mistaken and the support team is aware of it.

They explained the exotic version was used

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Polyluminescent_Undulating_Refractor_(Teal)

That one can be made into a agony infusion so they can put it into the ascended if they are able to get it out.

@"Linken.6345" said:They explained the exotic version was used

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Polyluminescent_Undulating_Refractor_(Teal)

But that's not a +5 Attribute/+9 AR infusion.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:If it was (the) exotic version, it wasn't an infusion, but a Jewel.If it was placed in Exotic Armor, it wasn't an infusion, but again, a Jewel.

:+1:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"Infusion.7149" said:I think this thread is an indictment of the fashion wars metagame , people would rather spend on cosmetics than having proper gear.Ascended trinkets are extremely easy to obtain in Bjora Marches, if you put a "valuable infusion" (not specified) into an exotic earring (there still hasn't been any confirmation this is even possible) it really shows lack of awareness of the game.

Perhaps it was actually a jewel, which means an upgrade extractor will work in most other instances.

Upgrade extractor can't extract from unsalvageable things.

@"IndigoSundown.5419" said:The gear from the upgrade vendor in SW is not the only gear out of which upgrades cannot be extracted. The Exotic Triumphant Gear from the WvW reward track is also like this. Look carefully at Exotic gear before you slot expensive upgrades into it. If it does not have a merchant sell price at the bottom, then there is a chance it will not be salvageable.

Triumphant armor should be salvageable
Unsalvageable things have the NoSalvage flag
(these are from the boosted gear on a necro)

Most karma vendor items are not salvageable either.

I tested it today. Upgrade extractor accepts stat-select no-salvage Warbeast armor from WvW track as well as sclerite Karka shell ("NoSalvage", red when using BL as well as Mystic Salvage Kit).https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/items?ids=42426,66206&lang=en

If you look on "temple armor" / karma armor it even states "as with any karma-based armor, these items cannot be salvaged; runes can only be removed with an Upgrade Extractor."https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Temple_armor

The level 80 boost items are unique case. See anomaly "If new runes are attached they can't be removed with an upgrade extractor." - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level-80_Boost

For a while Triumphant exotic gear and gear from badges of honor was not able to be salvaged, it was changed a year or two ago.

Also this is much ado about nothing, the teal jewel is less than 4 gold now. In two days of dailies you could buy a new one.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"dragonsvail.9057" said:An Extration device was used, and failed, a ticket was entered and a reply of (no such item can be found on your account)

You cannot put any Infusions in exotic gear (with two exceptions):

Hence you must be mistaken and the support team is aware of it.

You very definitely CAN put the special effects things from Halloween in the exotic free earrings because both I and my daughter did it and nothing can take them out BUT support DID in our cases hand back the item. It should be noted that in my case I put it in to prove to her that you couldn't. ;) Whoops.