When will we see generation 3 legendaries?

Realistically, probably never

The game doesn't seem to have a problem keeping mats stable as is and I have no doubt that Anet has long since learned that hyper rare infusions generate comparable player engagement with a tiny, tiny fraction of the effort

We're also starting to see gem store and BLC rare drop weapons with effects very nearly the same as legendarys just minus the footfalls or auras

That phoenix feather could easily have been a legendary with one of the two added to it and even back items are already more elaborate than the armor ever was

@Archangel.6793 said:@Devs,Any word on when we'll see a new set of legendary weapons?

I've gotten all of the legendaries for my main class that I love. The rest look "meh" with the look I'm trying to build.

There is already legendary armor that has the same look/effects from its precursor and there are legendary trinkets ("slumbering conflux" etc.) that do not have a special effect. So, it is possible that they continue this way.

With the "Legendary Armory" coming (maybe), it is possible that they release cheaper legendary weapons (a little cheaper than gen1 legendaries) that do not have a special look/effect, to motivate more players to build legendaries to better sell the "legendary armory" or their overpriced templates-system.

@Sarie.1630 said:I'd like to see the GEN 2 set completed first.

It's already completed.Axe, Pistol, Staff HoT releaaseShortbow post-HoTMace, Shield, Rifle, Torch, Sword, Hammer during LS3Focus, Dagger, Warhorn, Scepter, Longbow, Greatsword LS4

As for the topic, I would like to see it as a selling point in the next expansion but the chances are very low or at least in the next LW Seasons/saga :(. I want to see gen 3 legendary weapons!

@Dvantaman.3617 said:

@Sarie.1630 said:I'd like to see the GEN 2 set completed first.

It's already completed.Axe, Pistol, Staff HoT releaaseShortbow post-HoTMace, Shield, Rifle, Torch, Sword, Hammer during LS3Focus, Dagger, Warhorn, Scepter, Longbow, Greatsword LS4

As for the topic, I would like to see it as a selling point in the next expansion but the chances are very low or at least in the next LW Seasons/saga :(. I want to see gen 3 legendary weapons!

Well technically we don't have gen2 underwater weapons so it isn't complete, but i don't see those happening without a huge underwater revamp

@Ototo.3214 said:

@"Sarie.1630" said:I'd like to see the GEN 2 set completed first.

Well technically we don't have gen2 underwater weapons so it isn't complete, but i don't see those happening without a huge underwater revamp

Fair point. But iirc they confirmed that in the gen2 there will be no underwater weapons,but with the addition to the skimmer being "maybe" a hint to underwater revamp it would be nice if we can get gen 2 underwater leg weapons too!

If we see them, it'd likely be during the 3rd expansion and/or its LW content.

But who knows. I mean, they skimped out on the underwater ones for gen 2...

They also can't market Legendaries very well unless they make them tradable so people buy gems to convert to gold...

Though, they could make for a nice selling point for the upcoming expansion... Having the Legendary Armory, Gen 3 Legendaries and maybe even a new way to work on obtaining Legendaries (A number of people have complained about how lame just crafting them can be and how nice it is to get bits of lore about them... This theoretically could lead to more lore related collections for getting them)

But then again, I'm somewhat biased since the idea of gambling with the Mystic Toilet to try and get the Clovers needed to craft Legendaries sounds about as fun as a kick in the nuts...

Well, i would like that they glow less, but that seems unlikely considering how popular that is for some reason.

Imagine if you will, the next legendary weapon will cost 5 million gold to make, it can transform into any weapon but that is all just for show. It's true power is in the fact that, when you swing it you create an instant rave party. As you keep swinging it, it just gets worse and worse. The weapon does no damage, because as soon as you start swinging, all the enemies and all the players on the map get a seizure, and they will all be helpless on the ground for a quick finisher. Automatic victory as even elder dragons aren't immune to it. You won the game, but at what cost?

I foresee us weaning away from legendaries and getting more skins,infusions with "legendary-like" (aka otter infusion, that Phoenix torch) that will just take their place. Not exactly legendary if everyone in the game is running around with a legendary lol. They were a cute idea but there isn't exactly anything very legendary about those weapons with unique skins, some don't even have projectile effects, HOT had the very unique scavenger hunt where you went in-depth into making them and I LOVED the creativity that went into that but now? Just a ton of work and mats and splat you made a legendary- that doesn't scream its namesake.

@"HotDelirium.7984" said:I foresee us weaning away from legendaries and getting more skins,infusions with "legendary-like" (aka otter infusion, that Phoenix torch) that will just take their place. Not exactly legendary if everyone in the game is running around with a legendary lol. They were a cute idea but there isn't exactly anything very legendary about those weapons with unique skins, some don't even have projectile effects, HOT had the very unique scavenger hunt where you went in-depth into making them and I LOVED the creativity that went into that but now? Just a ton of work and mats and splat you made a legendary- that doesn't scream its namesake.

Really a shame that they stopped doing the scavenger hunts because of the work load.

Crafting H.O.P.E. was so much fun. I love the alchemy thematic of my engineer and then they gave me a weapon I had to explore the alchemy of Hylek in the lore. It was a great experience and I really hoped that I could get the same with the rifle, but no luck.

I hope to see gen 2 underwater first, and aquabreather.

Also would be nice to see pve trinkets finished - assuming that cell-like blob is unfinished and eventually divides into something similar in style to that otter effect, assuming some dragon instead.

Maybe even nice to have non-cosmetic legendary trinket crafting via jeweller 500 - as an alternative to the trinkets with skins - thinking similar parallel with wvw legendary armour which is purely for stats.

But yeah thinking about normal land legendaries, wouldn't say no to any chance of a third option somewhere. Especially when I don't like either gen of a particular weapon - eg torch 1 and 2 are both ugly - that phoenix feather gemstore skin is awesome on the other hand. So I would also be open to gemstore "legendary" cosmetics and just transmute gen 1 if necessary.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"HotDelirium.7984" said:I foresee us weaning away from legendaries and getting more skins,infusions with "legendary-like" (aka otter infusion, that Phoenix torch) that will just take their place. Not exactly legendary if everyone in the game is running around with a legendary lol. They were a cute idea but there isn't exactly anything very legendary about those weapons with unique skins, some don't even have projectile effects, HOT had the very unique scavenger hunt where you went in-depth into making them and I LOVED the creativity that went into that but now? Just a ton of work and mats and splat you made a legendary- that doesn't scream its namesake.

Really a shame that they stopped doing the scavenger hunts because of the work load.

Crafting H.O.P.E. was so much fun. I love the alchemy thematic of my engineer and then they gave me a weapon I had to explore the alchemy of Hylek in the lore. It was a great experience and I really hoped that I could get the same with the rifle, but no luck.

Making Chuka and Champawat was such a fun experience. I understand why they scaled back the collections for later legendaries but that doesn't mean I am not saddened that they aren't all like the earlier ones.

Imagine how much fun a real journey for Claw of the Khan-Ur could have been.

@Dvantaman.3617 said:

@"Ototo.3214" said:

Fair point. But iirc they confirmed that in the gen2 there will be no underwater weapons,but with the addition to the skimmer being "maybe" a hint to underwater revamp it would be nice if we can get gen 2 underwater leg weapons too!

Yes, this is exactly it. I was referring to the underwater weapons. I hope that what you say is right, that ArenaNet are aligning themselves to some real underwater content with the skimmer addition. I hope that the ability to use skimmer underwater, however, will not mean that an underwater mount is entirely off the table. I feel like there's so much potential in Underwater Content with an expansion sized revamp budget...but I'm not sure we will ever get there. That's off topic for this thread anyway, I'm just dreaming.

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:To be honest, the scavenger hunts were nothing but chores. Just things to get you to go and do content that you've already done numerous times before. There really wasn't any story or anything special about them. I was glad when they stopped doing them.Not even close... for a weapon like Nevermore I could relate to your feelings - the extensive T3 collection felt somewhat artificial although even there the revisiting of content is never "just chores" when one gets to experience previously missed dialogues, for example; for the final one of the series, Chuka & Champawat, ANet went above and beyond not only with in-game features (special quest mechanic, tiger den, tiger cubs as backpacks, journal and persistent NPC interaction) but the story itself - based upon the accounts of a famous British naturalist in India - presented a humanistic twist to be remembered as embodied in the weapon itself. I'd go as far as saying this particular storyline along with its various items felt more engaging than any other from PS or LW.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Kodama.6453 said:Really a shame that they stopped doing the scavenger hunts because of the work load.Crafting H.O.P.E. was so much fun. I love the alchemy thematic of my engineer and then they gave me a weapon I had to explore the alchemy of Hylek in the lore. It was a great experience and I really hoped that I could get the same with the rifle, but no luck.

Making Chuka and Champawat was such a fun experience. I understand why they scaled back the collections for later legendaries but that doesn't mean I am not saddened that they aren't all like the earlier ones.Imagine how much fun a real journey for Claw of the Khan-Ur could have been.

Exactly! your mention of Claw of the Khan-Ur is a perfect example for how much NEW lore they could've released in a very special format, which in turn would be yet another motivation for people to go onto the quest.

If devs go for another round of legendaries they really need to make them journeys with special flavor like those first four; absurd material sinks like Exordium - as amazing as the weapon is - make their crafting feel like a bad joke.

@Perisemiotics.4579 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:To be honest, the scavenger hunts were nothing but chores. Just things to get you to go and do content that you've already done numerous times before. There really wasn't any story or anything special about them. I was glad when they stopped doing them.Not even close... for a weapon like Nevermore I could relate to your feelings - the extensive T3 collection felt somewhat artificial although even there the revisiting of content is never "just chores" when one gets to experience previously missed dialogues, for example; for the final one of the series, Chuka & Champawat, ANet went above and beyond not only with in-game features (special quest mechanic, tiger den, tiger cubs as backpacks, journal and persistent NPC interaction) but the story itself - based upon the accounts of a famous British naturalist in India - presented a humanistic twist to be remembered as embodied in the weapon itself. I'd go as far as saying this particular storyline along with its various items felt more engaging than any other from PS or LW.

That's one set of legendary weapon collections out of all of the others. The one exception doesn't discount all of the others just being chores having you go around and replay content that you've likely already done numerous times already.

@"Archangel.6793" said:When will we see generation 3 legendaries?

I hope they spend a lot more time and effort on them than some of the awful ones we've had;

Flames of War,Eureka,Meteorlogicus,Shooshadoo,Chuka and Champawat,The Minstrel.

All hideous, gaudy, tasteless - revolting, even.

Obviously some will disagree, but hey, it's my post and I can type what I want in it. This is called, "opinion".