mastery points should be available in the gemstore

@Tazer.2157 said:

@Tazer.2157 said:I actually agree with this. The game lets us buy gear for gold which can be brought for gems. I see no reason why mastery points shouldn’t be available as well. It’s not like the mastery points are vital to a class build or anything. They are just generic updates that do not make any difference. If people want to pay, they should be allowed to as in this case unlocking mastery points with gems does not give the player who is paying any advantage.

Except some mastery points indeed do get you an advantage, specifically the Fractal and the Legendary crafting ones.

But we can buy exotic gear, runes and sigils for gold that can be brought from gems. These offer a more substantial in game advantage especially to new players just starting out. Buying sigils and runes can cost you nearly 10-20 gold, gold a new player just does not have. And if you are trying to gear out multiple class, there is a greater advantage.

Bad example to support your argument honestly, no offence.

Exotic gear that you can buy with "money" is still lvl 80. You still need to actually get a toon to lvl 80, and since the game is designed to dynamically adjust your level in whatever zone you're in, having full exotic gear or not for new players doesn't make a difference. You're still downleveled to the area's level. And since exotic gear drops just by doing content, it's pretty useless to "buy" it. In PvE you're not in any disadvantage or advantage by having exotic gear or sigils in it.You can make the same argument for legendaries. You can just cash in your gems and outright buy it on the TP, no need to make yourself one.But then you just have a stat selectable ascended that's no different from any good exotic that complements your build.

PvP gives you all the gear for free, and WvW is possible to do with just exotic and whatever sigils you want because you're almost never alone in there.

Besides - the truly "endgame" ascended gear cannot be bought with money, you need to work towards it because most components in crafting it are either time gated and you need to play the game to get it, and then when you do it's like 5% better and if you're bad at the class you're playing, you can get beaten up by someone in full exotic with not optimised runes anyway. So even that doesn't give you any advantage. And legendaries only give you convenience since they're the same as ascened but stat selectable. Even armor that cannot be bought with money and is account bound doesn't really give you any advantage.

Masteries do give you advantage.

Fractal masteries give you more loot, special items and stuff that's an advantage over those that don't have them.Pact commander gives you auto loot, and faster crafting XP.Legendary mastery is inconsequential here, you can just skip it and buy legendaries but like i said, they're not an advantage, just convenience.

And not to mention what you get with HoT and PoF masteries.And what about future masteries? The ones that will just get released and someone can outright buy them and get a head start above everyone else to start reaping the benefits.

@Chyanne Waters.8719 said:

@firedragon.8953 said:I must be getting old. I remember when people payed to get access, a floppy disk, a CD, a license key, etc. etc. and play a game. Once you bought it, that’s it. That was the game. But now, people want to pay to “finish” a game? Why? Is this what Angry Birds and Candy Crush (I never played those, so don’t really know) has done to the game market? Something is too hard, oh nothing a few dollars can’t fix? It’s even worse when it’s a multiplayer game. Imagine if you could just buy a Skyscale for 5000 gems. No, just no. GW2 is not Gold Wars 2.

Lol but you have to pay 2000 gems to change the look of your mount.

Changing the look on your mount has no effect on gameplay so your argument is pointless here.You still need to actually get the mount in the first place to even be able to buy a skin, and you can't get the mount in the gem store.

@firedragon.8953 said:I must be getting old. I remember when people payed to get access, a floppy disk, a CD, a license key, etc. etc. and play a game. Once you bought it, that’s it. That was the game. But now, people want to pay to “finish” a game? Why? Is this what Angry Birds and Candy Crush (I never played those, so don’t really know) has done to the game market? Something is too hard, oh nothing a few dollars can’t fix? It’s even worse when it’s a multiplayer game. Imagine if you could just buy a Skyscale for 5000 gems. No, just no. GW2 is not Gold Wars 2.

Problem with that is this game is constantly changing.

That's a non issue in this game because of how equipment tiers and leveling works.

@Friday.7864 said:A lot of the masteries are non essential.The few that might be considered necessary are easy enough to get due to abundance of mastery points.

What about future mastery points? Maybe they'l award some advantage you get in the new maps and content, and someone can just outright pay to skip all that and gain a huge head start above everyone else.> @Nightcore.5621 said:

I really cant see why not? We already have Max level boosters, waypoints, teleport stone and other stupid things in gemstone. I remember anet say PLAY THE WAY YOU WANT TO Play and if People want to play this way why not? People already skip Hard jps usin teleport Stones or masteries point to get there faster. Maby People get @ Hurt cuz they want u to go through same hell they did. I really cant see why not.

Like i said earlier in my post, "levels" in this game don't mean much when the game downlevels you in lower level areas and PvP. You gain nothing from a lvl 80 boost except convenience to skip the leveling if you don't want to. Which is mainly used for alts anyway, people who already have a main.And even then, should you want any special items - you still need to actually play the game and get map completion, and you have to get hero points to unlock elites because a lvl 80 boost is only going to cover core traits.And since masteries are account wide - you don't have to go through "hell" twice, so your point doesn't make sense.

Stat interchangeable legendary weapons: These are okay to purchase with real moneyMastery points: We can't have that!

Besides don't we need to buy living world stories to unlock the mastery points in the first place? So essentially we are already paying to unlock mastery points. The OP is actually very reasonable. You should be able to buy mastery points just as we buy the living story episodes.

@Tazer.2157 said:Stat interchangeable legendary weapons: These are okay to purchase with real moneyMastery points: We can't have that!

Besides don't we need to buy living world stories to unlock the mastery points in the first place? So essentially we are already paying to unlock mastery points. The OP is actually very reasonable. You should be able to buy mastery points just as we buy the living story episodes.

But you can pretty cheaply change the stats on ascended weapons. And you can purchase that gold with real money as well. Not that one should need to do that given how cheap it is. It does require 10 spirit shards which you technically can't buy, but 10 spirit shards doesn't take that long to get. So legendaries are really just a QoL.

And I've only had to buy 1 living story episode. The rest have been free for me. Remember, ANet only charges for living story episodes if you do not log in while the episode is the most recently released episode.

The mastery points and the experience required to unlock the masteries is one way Anet has put in ways to get players to not chew through new content in a short period of time. OP's suggestion removes part of that.

And very rarely do you need the final tier of a mastery in order to complete the content on the map or the living story/personal story.

@Chyanne Waters.8719 said:I took a look at a couple requirements for one mastery point each of course seen more but these stuck out. Two different weapon sets with 16 weapons each have to be acquired to get one mastery point each. I don't need 32 weapons I'm never gonna use anyway to get those points. Again I am not saying you can purchase them and use them without playing for the xp you need to use them you do. I am saying you should not have to complete some of the stupid requirement to get mastery points. If you want to that's fine if not you should have the option to buy them for gems if you want they could also be available in BL chests or in game as a drop here n there. Buying the points will not break the game or be pay to win just be an option to people.

I won't ever complete these Achievements and get the associated Mastery (The collections of weapons). I tend to think of these not as a Mastery point that I need to get, but rather a way for a different type of player to get a Mastery point. What type of player? The one who does engage with the crafting system in the game and does want to complete a full set of weapons. Those crafter/collector types have a way of being rewarded for doing something they like to do.

Similar to the Run 50 Strikes MP/Achievement. Those players running strikes have a reward for playing through them a huge number of times. It isn't for everyone, and that is okay.

I don't think it would be fair to diminish the effort of other players by making the same MP/Achievement they worked hard on available for purchase.

However, there could be an alternative. An MP pack that you could buy that isn't tied to the achievements or MP in game. Something as simple as 100 gems for a generic MP that can be used in any Mastery. It doesn't complete an achievement, doesn't take anything away from the game or content, it simply speeds up the process for those wanting to get a Mastery line unlocked.

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:

@Chyanne Waters.8719 said:I took a look at a couple requirements for one mastery point each of course seen more but these stuck out. Two different weapon sets with 16 weapons each have to be acquired to get one mastery point each. I don't need 32 weapons I'm never gonna use anyway to get those points. Again I am not saying you can purchase them and use them without playing for the xp you need to use them you do. I am saying you should not have to complete some of the stupid requirement to get mastery points. If you want to that's fine if not you should have the option to buy them for gems if you want they could also be available in BL chests or in game as a drop here n there. Buying the points will not break the game or be pay to win just be an option to people.

I won't ever complete these Achievements and get the associated Mastery (The collections of weapons). I tend to think of these not as a Mastery point that I
need
to get, but rather a way for a different type of player to get a Mastery point. What type of player? The one who does engage with the crafting system in the game and does want to complete a full set of weapons. Those crafter/collector types have a way of being rewarded for doing something they like to do.

Similar to the Run 50 Strikes MP/Achievement. Those players running strikes have a reward for playing through them a huge number of times. It isn't for everyone, and that is okay.

I don't think it would be fair to diminish the effort of other players by making the same MP/Achievement they worked hard on available for purchase.

However, there could be an alternative. An MP pack that you could buy that isn't tied to the achievements or MP in game. Something as simple as 100 gems for a generic MP that can be used in any Mastery. It doesn't complete an achievement, doesn't take anything away from the game or content, it simply speeds up the process for those wanting to get a Mastery line unlocked.

There are plenty of mastery points in the game for players to not do a few mastery achievements and unlock all masteries to their fullest.

It would be different if these unlocks were per character and not per account. But it's a once per account type thing.

This isn't something that is even remotely needed in the game.

If we sell MP directly for gems, we turn GW2 into yet another P2W Microtransaction Hell. There are already plenty of games like that on the market.

But we could unlock the entire Masteries via the gemstore - on trial. Not granting full access.

Example: Glider MasteryYou pay X amount of gems to unlock the entire Glider Mastery on trial. The costs vary, depending on how much you have already unlocked. Every stage that gets completed by the gemstore unlock counts as trial. If you just miss 1 MP to unlock Tier 3, Tier 3- Tier 6 will be trial.

When you enter a new map, you will see a Glider Mastery Icon in your buff-bar with an ammo-counter. Let us say for the trial, the counter will be 50. What consumes a charge:

• opening the glider (if Tier 1 is trial)
  • using an Updraft (if Tier 2 is trial)
  • leaning with the Glider (if Tier 3 is trial)
  • using Stealth Gliding (if Tier 4 is trial)
  • using Advanced Gliding (if Tier 5 is trial). In this case, the endurance-bar automatically refills when it gets depleted. Every refill counts as 1 charge.
  • using a Ley Line (if Tier 6 is trial)

What happens when the charges turn 0? All trial Masteries are disabled until you switch maps.

@Seera.5916 said:

I won't ever complete these Achievements and get the associated Mastery (The collections of weapons). I tend to think of these not as a Mastery point that I
need
to get, but rather a way for a different type of player to get a Mastery point. What type of player? The one who does engage with the crafting system in the game and does want to complete a full set of weapons. Those crafter/collector types have a way of being rewarded for doing something they like to do.

There are plenty of mastery points in the game for players to not do a few mastery achievements and unlock all masteries to their fullest.

It would be different if these unlocks were per character and not per account. But it's a once per account type thing.

This isn't something that is even remotely needed in the game.

I don't think it is at all needed either. However, I don't mind providing an alternative that removes the concerns I have for a theoretical system where purchasing MP was a thing. Just because I don't agree doesn't mean it isn't an opportunity for an interesting discussion.

@Vancho.8750 said:And top 250 PVP titles and Legenderies and, and, and uhm a little monkey that says meow.Just play the kitten game it is not so hard.

I do play the game but Anet said if you wanna take the time in game you can but if not you can purchase things to avoid that,

And another one :) I never understand why people

1. spend money to buy a game,
  2. spend money to solve the game,
  3. get bored because nothing left
  4. go back to 1 on next game :)

But if they want to, let them finance game development :)

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:

need

exactly!!!

Player 1 - OMG OMG OMG WOOOO OMG Anet have just updated the Gem Store. You can now buy a clicky button for 50,000 gems that gives you absolutely everything in the game.

Player 2 - Are you going to buy it?

Player 1 - Of course

20 Seconds later

Player 1 - I've bought it and clicked on it.

Player 2 - So what did you get?

Player 1 - Everything. Every Hero Point, every Mastery, every Achievement Point. World Map Completion on all characters, all weapon skins and armour, every character boosted to level 80, unlocked every mini, every backpack, every mount skin, every glider, every Legendary and Legendary Armour, every Title. Everything. I haz everything in the game, even a Mop of Destruction.

Player 2 - Woooo you iz Leet.

10 Seconds later

Player 1 - This is boring, there is nothing to do.........

need

exactly!!!

So how much are you willing to pay per MP?

Absolutely not. I don't play p2w games and would uninstall immediately If they ever did something like that. To me that would signal the end is nigh if they had to resort to that sort of monetization, like what happened when Rift went all-in on pay to win. That game sunk like a ship after people left in droves because of it.

This request is ... weird. The 'crap stuff' the OP claims he doesn't want to do for MP's is playing the game. You get MP's from playing. I mean, if playing the game is 'crap' ... well, I don't even need to ask what you are doing in it.

I'm not actually against the idea ... if you want to skip playing the game to fill your MP's up ... I could care less ... buying things that other people play for just means you're paying to skip content ... which is usually the OPPOSITE of what a game players wants to do. I just don't see why any reasonable person who plays a game just wants to pay for accomplishments they don't need to play anyways. Maybe the OP wants to marvel at what kind of character money can buy him ... because that's what this kind of idea is.

@"firedragon.8953" said:I must be getting old. I remember when people payed to get access, a floppy disk, a CD, a license key, etc. etc. and play a game. Once you bought it, that’s it. That was the game. But now, people want to pay to “finish” a game? Why? Is this what Angry Birds and Candy Crush (I never played those, so don’t really know) has done to the game market? Something is too hard, oh nothing a few dollars can’t fix? It’s even worse when it’s a multiplayer game. Imagine if you could just buy a Skyscale for 5000 gems. No, just no. GW2 is not Gold Wars 2.

Problem with that is this game is constantly changing.

Problem? I don't think so. It's called content. That's the nature of an MMO. That wasn't the point. I was making the point about paying to finish a game.

I am completely fine with dropping money on expansions and even living world episodes because the expectation is that there are things to do, places to go, and non-player people to meet. I'm even okay with dropping a bit of money on a cosmetic for some design fun. I am so-so alright, with buying unbreakable tools, character slots and lounge passes, but I don't need to buy them because I can do much of the same by getting breakable tools in-game, "freeing up" a standard character slot, or porting to a city to do my in-game errands. But honestly, that is really REALLY pushing the limit in my opinion, and only accept it because there is no subscription fees. But paying for the reward for completing in game achievements/content? That's just a whole new level, and so obviously pay-to-win that it hurts. There are plenty of games out there, and if that is the playstyle you like I recommend going to one of those hundreds of titles, but I pray to the 5 (formally known as the 6) that such practices never reveal their ugly head in Guild Wars 2 anymore than they already are. I am also guessing this is why you have many here opposed to your suggestion.

Your other comments I feel have been responded to adequately by posters above.

Edit: Your suggestion about somehow trading Tombs of Knowledge (since they are an in-game only item) for mastery points is something that I could possibly get onboard with. But I think it would have to be something steep like 100 Tomes of Knowledge for a Mastery Point. There is definitely a risk damaging some content that offers mastery points, especially the Core Tyria points. How many extra players do you think would be joining Triple Trouble, for example? Somehow I feel devs designed how good masteries are based on how easy it is to get the mastery points for that expansion, etc, and a trade system may really make things unbalanced, especially in future expansions. Personally, I already think the whole mastery system is becoming more and more trivialized as it is, making masteries worth less with either pay-to-win mechanics or "throw away masteries" relevant to very limited content is no good in my opinion.

People really don't seem to understand how damaging MTX are to games and their design with making such requests.As soon as things like ingame progression are normalised to be on sale for MTX (and that includes even cosmetics to some extend), it heavily incentivizes the developer to keep making the natural progression (through gameplay) more and more obtuse, annoying and grindy, in order to funnel people into the store for the much more "convenient" credit card alternative they so kindly offer, propping up their "value" by making the actual game a chore.

Besides, even if you want to argue for it supporting game development with purchases, it's just as likely to be short term gains as it can also undermine the long term engagement and emotional investment of players, even harming the game population wise and therefor financially long term. If anything and everything is just a RL money purchase away, what's the point of actually keeping playing to "earn" anything, when every ingame achievement, accomplishment or reward has been devalued by just being a purchase without any prestige or proof of effort and dedication attached to it. Motivation to keep playing, and with that engagement with the overbearing store, plummets.

MTX in large parts are just monetized cheat codes, be it for (in previous generations of games earn able ingame) cosmetic or mechanical progression, and anybody who ever cheated in a single player game for fun knows how quickly that'll burn you out, since non of the actually ingame systems matter anymore.

Seriously, if you don't want to play the game, just don't. You don't have to get all the mastery points and masteries if you don't wish to do so (and there is plenty surplus of them to give players some choice in what to go for), but the game is already more than enough of a platform for monetization as it is.If you'd rather just go shopping than play the game, go play Amazon Store or smth.

@"firedragon.8953" said:

Edit: Your suggestion about somehow trading Tombs of Knowledge (since they are an in-game only item) for mastery points is something that I could possibly get onboard with. But I think it would have to be something steep like 100 Tomes of Knowledge for a Mastery Point. There is definitely a risk damaging some content that offers mastery points, especially the Core Tyria points. How many extra players do you think would be joining Triple Trouble, for example? Somehow I feel devs designed how good masteries are based on how easy it is to get the mastery points for that expansion, etc, and a trade system may really make things unbalanced, especially in future expansions. Personally, I already think the whole mastery system is becoming more and more trivialized as it is, making masteries worth less with either pay-to-win mechanics or "throw away masteries" relevant to very limited content is no good in my opinion.

Tomes of knowledge converted to mastery points would potentially be good for WvW players that spend most of their time in WvW and het tons of tomes of knowledge but are not playing PvE.

But then again if they're not playing PvE, what use are mastery points anyway, WvW has it's own system.

This would potentially benefit WvW people that still do PvE content but idk, like you said it would maybe damage some other content as well... Probably do more damage than good.

Honestly, the system is fine as it is. No need to pay to "finish" content, and no need to change how you get masteries.

The validity of this threas died the moment lack of alternative mastery points was brought up, as well as the "requirement" to complete 50 runs of the Cold War strike for the mastery point.

So once again for the players who lack the ability of basic research and basic reasoning:

A. There is a huge abundance of mastery points for past content allowing to be selective in which mastery points one tackles. The current season/saga is ongoing and the more stingy availability of mastery points is intended as to not let dedicated playerd have the required amount within half a season. Suffice to say: by the end of this saga there will be spare points available (this should be obvious by how the total amount of soare points keeps increasing with each episode, as well as when looking at past content)

B. The amount of times required to complete the Cold War strike is 10, not 50, if gaining the mastery point is the goal. That is a reasonable amount of completions (reasonable if we assume 2 months as baseline between content updates and 1 completion per week)

C. The idea behind mastery points similar as with requirements for legendary items, is to expose players to different type of content while giving them a limited choice in which content to complete in the hopes that players discouver content they enjoy but otherwise might not have tried. Offering work arounds is counter productive to this game play element unless those work around achieve something similar

D. I do agree that the total amount of experience required might get out of hand evenutally. This is easily something overlooked in veteran accounts. No easy solution here, but maybe automated recurring bonus experience event weekends or similar for past content could both encourage content interaction as well as help if this becomes a greater issue (we have something similar encouragement wise with the daily system for past living world content)

TL;DR:Offering things via a digital store often conflicts with game play reasons and design. This is already the case with cosmetics in this game, there is no reason to expand this to other areas.

@lare.5129 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Wait, is this a serious thread?why not? If someone feel rich and want spend more - why not give him that ?don't see nothing bad if someone can buy MP from 200+ euro each.

Because once a game gets a reputation as a pay to win game it loses credibility. Some will say this game has already lost credibility but this is different. Pay to win is a stigma that you can't easily escape. It follows you.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Wait, is this a serious thread?why not? If someone feel rich and want spend more - why not give him that ?don't see nothing bad if someone can buy MP from 200+ euro each.

Because once a game gets a reputation as a pay to win game it loses credibility. Some will say this game has already lost credibility but this is different. Pay to win is a stigma that you can't easily escape. It follows you.

And what exactly do you gain if you can buy MP? P2W means that you can buy advantages over other players. For example if I could buy strength boosters in PVP or WVW for real money which makes me significantly stronger than other real players.Everybody says here that this is worse than LVL and strength boosters, but nobody says why.What gives you a mastery what is so OP compared to others who don't have it?If a mastery is OP, it has in my opinion little lost in GW2 because some have access to it and others don't(because they don't have the episode and have to BUY it first).

@Fuchslein.8639 said:Everybody says here that this is worse than LVL and strength boosters, but nobody says why.

I'm quite sure a lot would gladly remove level and strength boosters from the game as well. I know I would.

Mostly because I feel that as in this case, level boosters cause issues for new players in terms of connecting with the game and immersing themselves.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:What gives you a mastery what is so OP compared to others who don't have it?

I personally wouldn't argue masteries make player significantly more powerful, though some offer significant quality of life improvements.

Instead I would make the argument that skipping and actually not playing the game causes a disconect of the player from the game. Both via removing goals and guide lines of what to do.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:If a mastery is OP, it has in my opinion little lost in GW2 because some have access to it and others don't(because they don't have the episode and have to BUY it first).

There is nearly no financial argumant you can make when it comes to GW2. This game is far and wide the cheapest MMORPG.

If someone if having issues in acquiring content for this game, both expansions or living world (which can ba acquired via gem-gold conversion), they need to reevaulate if playing a game over other commitments is a good idea.