Would you pay for Housing DLC? - Similar to ESO

Halbarz.3854

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Where's the option[NO] I don't want anet to waste resources on content that adds zero to the game.Player housing sounds nice on paper, but only a small group will invest in it, and most of that groups' home instance will never be seen by other players. Join a guild, or play ESO or Fallout 4 if you want it so much, but anet shouldnt waste what little resources it has outside story, seasonals and content updates

A lot of GW2s content is aimed at smaller portions of the player base. Raiders are a minority in all games that aren't dedicated to raiding, pvp is a minority in most games that aren't pvp focused, this would apply to wvw, etc. GW2 would be rather empty if all it focused on was what "everyone" wanted. Games should always aim for diversity, others you have the option of playing all those wonderful Korean MMORPGs with the population of a couple hundred to a couple thousand to play.

@Tasida.4085 said:Hopefully never going to happen, like fishing and marriage. You want all that in a game then by all means go play 1 of the many that have it. Housing along with the others I mentioned DOES NOT belong in GW2. The devs made it clear at beginning they wanted this game to be diff from other mmo's, hence no cursed trinity and NO to all the SILLY ideas of homes,fishing,marriage etc.

The trinity isn't present in all MMORPGs, and GW2 wasn't the first game to be developed without the trinity. Never mind the fact the trinity is still present in GW2, just ina more "optional" case (sometimes).

@Awe.1096 said:Just checking in before all the big bad boys telling you to go play The Sims and how housing system is stupid, silly, and non-manly enough. Oh wait...

And GIRLS. Big news flash DUDE, not all gamers are male. And housing,fishing,marriage etc is indeed silly and doesn't belong in GW2....Go play another game if that's what you and yours want. The devs can spend that time and resources on more important game features like xpacs, bug fixes etc.

@Tasida.4085 said:Hopefully never going to happen, like fishing and marriage. You want all that in a game then by all means go play 1 of the many that have it. Housing along with the others I mentioned DOES NOT belong in GW2. The devs made it clear at beginning they wanted this game to be diff from other mmo's, hence no cursed trinity and NO to all the SILLY ideas of homes,fishing,marriage etc.

I personally think marriage in games is kind of silly (not against it though, my own fiance and I did it in FFXIV. Silly but eh, why not) but homes actually probably make more sense considering Guild Halls from GW1 were one of the first kind of common "player owned houses" back in the day, they were like they equivalent of 2g in GW2 to get, and cost a pretty penny to upgrade though. Likewise, the player's home instance is currently non-modifiable player housing, it's been in the game since launch.

In general, housing in MMOs is actually supposed to be a material and gold sink as people are constantly wanting new furniture for new ideas and such. It's great for any crafting economy. Fishing is also not usually some pointless gesture but often used for rare food recipes, or even rare crafting recipes and hidden items.

Also ironically the trinity came to GW2 with raids, no one is ever going to say Chronomancer and Druid is not required. Yes other MMOs like FFXIV have healers and tanks do dps alongside their roll too so it's definitely present in this game now.

Housing in GW2 if it were ever implemented would likely have to be accessible as a whole as there's no way they should waste dev time for a fraction of the player base. They've literally never made a whole feature behind a paywall, but rather hook people in with the feature and the monetize it. Despite what I said above, I actually think there's better use of dev time as we're looking at a game where the open world needs players. The last thing Anet wants to do is start isolating the playerbase with solo instances.

P.S. Don't do housing districts/wards in the open world. It's a horrible idea and will result in 90% of the playerbase ragequitting on the forums.

@Menadena.7482 said:Use the expansion to unlock in and expand it via masteries. Use the gem store for all sorts of stuff.

@Tasida.4085 said:

@Awe.1096 said:Just checking in before all the big bad boys telling you to go play The Sims and how housing system is stupid, silly, and non-manly enough. Oh wait...

Typical MALE response. Big news flash DUDE, not all gamers are male. 1 day maybe Y chromo gamers will learn that. And housing is indeed silly and doesn't belong in GW2....Go play another game if that's what you and yours want.

Oh. And who decided that it does not belong in GW2? You? Good to know.

PS. AFAIR raids or mounts also did not belong in GW2. Well.

ESO housing was a free add-on. I remember buying Captain Margaux's house (best little house in the game :) with in-game gold, as well as decorating it with found recipes and such. I have to admit, it was a really nice touch having instanced housing like that, but actually out in the open world too. That MMO did a lot of cool things right, but also a lot of bad things (ghastly trading system and dirt easy PvE).

Nevertheless, considering we have home instances and guild halls, I think that's Anet's answer to player housing. Housing in the GW2 universe is also not to scale. Just run around Divinity's Reach or Amnoon to see how weird and unscaled the houses are. ESO at least had some level of scale and city size, making it feel more immersive.

We pretty much have something similar with guild halls, but not every user can utilize such features. Hell, we cannot even upgrade furniture we buy without having both proper scribe levels AND GUILD PERMISSIONS. I don't see why we can't have our own instances for this. The economy could also benefit from such a massive gold sink. (Even though I think removing or capping goldfind will work better.)

You don’t have the option I would pick so I didn’t vote. My choice is No. I don’t want ANet to spend time/money on this.

1) once you have a house what is the replay value? What reason do you have to go there? You just go inside, stand and look around?2) cost. You know it’s going to be incredibly expensive to craft even basic stuff or several hundred gems to buy.3) if it is successful it will take people out of the world and into instanced homes, where they’ll be alone and separate from everyone else.

Also thinking on it, it would be a bit useless. Even if you added anything cool in them, most things do it already.Whether it's the guild hall (nodes, decorations, scribe, portals, bonuses)Whether it's the home instance (nodes, bonuses)Whether it's even the PvP lobby (trading post, training areas)or any of those other special areas I have no access to like the airships and other passes that have a ton of crafting areas and whatever else going on in them.

The question is, what exactly would a home add to the game? Because right now it doesn't seem like it would add anything.Mounts at least added things, whether is jumping distance/height, water gliding experience, um... dog riding simulator?, and "flight".

@Halbarz.3854 said:Housing could be a big feature for this game, as it could fit perfectly in the housing instance. Could feel like a tiny village in some cases.Would you pay let's say 10-15 EURO's to unlock this feature in the game?

• includes housing for each home instance (you get a house and can decorate it as your will)
  • Scriber craft can also craft furniture (basic stuff)
  • Some achievements rewards you with decorations
  • Includes crafting stations, vaults and etc to make it your personal base.
  • Furniture packs could be sold in the gem store as well.

What's the point? You can have ten 32-slot bags, fourteen 30-slot bank tabs, and permanent passes to Mistlock Sanctuary, Noble's Folly, etc. What would a house do for you that wasn't just a distraction from the fundamental boringness and lack of meaningful rewards in the rest of the game?

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Not included in your poll: "no, I don't think ANet should work on it at all, regardless of whether it's optional content sold for a fee."

At least 25 people gave you a thumbs up for this post, so we get a better picture. Maybe polls should require moderator approval avoid these nonsense polls.

I would not want any housing in GW2, it's not Second Life.

@Awe.1096 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:Use the expansion to unlock in and expand it via masteries. Use the gem store for all sorts of stuff.

@Tasida.4085 said:

Typical MALE response. Big news flash DUDE, not all gamers are male. 1 day maybe Y chromo gamers will learn that. And housing is indeed silly and doesn't belong in GW2....Go play another game if that's what you and yours want.

Oh. And who decided that it does not belong in GW2? You? Good to know.

PS. AFAIR raids or mounts also did not belong in GW2. Well.

boggles Why was I quoted? That selection to the poll is worded wrong as I want it in the game but feel the best way to get it is via masteries in an expansion and things for it sold in the gem store.

HOT gave us gliding (among other things trying out masteries). The gem store then sold skins.

POF gave us mounts. The gem store has already started selling skins.

See a pattern?

An expansion can give us houses (maybe they will be bigger the higher up the mastery track). The gem store can let us customize how it looks.

I find it ridiculous that some people say decorating is lame and housing would be too expensive yet they spend thousands of Gold (and/or dollars) on stacking infusions to decorate their characters until they look like a walking Christmas tree. :) Hypocrisy is strong with this one.

Edit: typo.

Archived