Lost 600 gold on trading post

I was attempting to purchase an aurillium infusion the other day and looked to see what the stat change recipe was to decide if it would be cheaper to just buy a different stat and change it myself. While attempting to place a bid, I accidentally purchased the infusion that was more than the stat that I wanted (the bid price was less.) It was my mistake, sure, but that is a high price to pay for fat fingers. A confirmation screen would have saved me the difference, plus the extra cost of stat changing. This is especially infuriating because every time I get a repair kit I have to write out the kitten name whenever I want to delete it ( I have the endless version already.) Loosing that much gold is sour af, especially considering how long it took me to get there.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I meaaaaan... you didn't double check the item when you clicked "buy instantly", but somehow you believe you'd check it again if there was a confirmation window? Somehow I doubt. Either way, confirmation window on tp would be just annoying to have imo.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Not so. I made a similar mistake years ago. It wasn’t to this scale, but I did contact Support to reverse the error. After a week of wrangling, the mistake was reversed in the method I described.

Sometimes, asking for help can go further than judging someone’s misstep. After all, no one has made a mistake they wished they could reverse later. Please, keep this in mind.

And best of luck with any decision you make, Phoenix.  🙂

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

You can ask Support if they can restore the gold, but they'll also remove whatever you bought.

I can see this happen if you bought gems for gold since anet can easy just stash the gems back in the pool and give you back said gold.

But another players item you bought on the trading post?

They have to reimburst you gold, then turn around and give infusion back to a player while taking away all the gold - what the player used to list said infusion on the trading post.

I call bull on this unless you provide proof.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I didn’t keep records of this event from over three years ago. ANet said they’d help me that one time. If I recall correctly, it was around 100 gold. I bought, by accident, the wrong item on the Auction House. Yes, player selling-wise. No idea what happened with the player, if they lost the money, but I recall the money being restored a week later.

Whether this could happen today, given changes, I do not know. But that was my experience. Again, it still can’t hurt to ask. The worst ANet will say is, “No.”

Just something to consider.

Edit: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001969608-Recovering-Missing-or-Lost-Items

While I think it's a stretch to call gold an item, it still can't hurt to ask.  You might get lucky, if you escalate, and get a character rollback. Now, I wouldn't hold my breath on that, but again ... can't hurt to ask. 😉

Either way, my sympathies, Phoenix. Hope you find a satisfactory solution.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

I didn’t keep records of this event from over three years ago. ANet said they’d help me that one time. If I recall correctly, it was around 100 gold. I bought, by accident, the wrong item on the Auction House. Yes, player selling-wise. No idea what happened with the player, if they lost the money, but I recall the money being restored a week later.

Whether this could happen today, given changes, I do not know. But that was my experience. Again, it still can’t hurt to ask. The worst ANet will say is, “No.”

Just something to consider.

Edit: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001969608-Recovering-Missing-or-Lost-Items

While I think it's a stretch to call gold an item, it still can't hurt to ask.  You might get lucky, if you escalate, and get a character rollback. Now, I wouldn't hold my breath on that, but again ... can't hurt to ask. 😉

Either way, my sympathies, Phoenix. Hope you find a satisfactory solution.

Pretty sure you find a record of the messages with support if you sign in to your account and click my tickets.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us

• Thanks 1

Thank you. I stand corrected. Apparently, my issue was salvaging a precursor in 2018. Not buying the wrong item for 100 gold. Don't know how I mixed those two up. I swear it happened. Must be getting old. Alas, maybe you can't get your money back. Still, can't hurt to ask. 😉

Edit: My wife told me that happened in Warhammer Online not Guild Wars 2. My apologies for mixing those two experiences up. Epic face-palm...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

How many confirmation windows would it need? Just an estimate. Do you think one will suffice or maybe two?

"Are you sure you want to buy X?"

"Are you really sure?"

"Maybe want to check again?"

"Sure now?"

"And you don't want that other thing?"

"Soo it's X, right?"

"And you want to buy X?"

"Are you sure?"

• Haha 9
  • Confused 1

Just now, lokh.2695 said:

How many confirmation windows would it need? Just an estimate. Do you think one will suffice or maybe two?

"Are you really sure?"

"Sure now?"

"Soo it's X, right?"

"And you want to buy X?"

"Are you sure?"

Egad.  That sounds like some of the AutoCAD installs that we have to do at work.  Just install already!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

"Are you really sure?"

"Sure now?"

"Soo it's X, right?"

"And you want to buy X?"

"Are you sure?"

Considering the fact that people have soulbound entire sets of gear by applying upgrades despite the popup window warning there needs to be at least 20 confirmations. Some with captchas to make sure someone isn't automating the clicking of course ...

On a more serious note, defaulting to "Buy Instantly" was a bad UI decision. If you click on the item listings at around the 3rd item from the top and on the name of the item in the listing, it is very easy to accidentally double click and instant buy that item.

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

"Recovering a missing/lost item" isn't even close to "reverse my tp transaction made with another player". Doing that would be pretty ridiculous.

And I said prior, "While I think it's a stretch to call gold an item, it still can't hurt to ask.  You might get lucky, if you escalate, and get a character rollback. Now, I wouldn't hold my breath on that, but again ... can't hurt to ask.."

Quit being so confrontational about everything.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

And I said prior, "While I think it's a stretch to call gold an item, it still can't hurt to ask.  You might get lucky, if you escalate, and get a character rollback. Now, I wouldn't hold my breath on that, but again ... can't hurt to ask.."

Oh, I'm sure if your gold magically disappeared, they wouldn't have much of a problem to check the amount and fix it for you. "gold not being an item" isn't what I was talking about, it's what happened with it.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 4

20 hours ago, Phoenix.4593 said:

I was attempting to purchase an aurillium infusion the other day and looked to see what the stat change recipe was to decide if it would be cheaper to just buy a different stat and change it myself. While attempting to place a bid, I accidentally purchased the infusion that was more than the stat that I wanted (the bid price was less.) It was my mistake, sure, but that is a high price to pay for fat fingers. A confirmation screen would have saved me the difference, plus the extra cost of stat changing. This is especially infuriating because every time I get a repair kit I have to write out the kitten name whenever I want to delete it ( I have the endless version already.) Loosing that much gold is sour af, especially considering how long it took me to get there.

@Phoenix.4593 you won't be the first, and won't be the last that has done this or will do this.  Done myself as well in the past with an equally high price item.  However, as much as I was annoyed, it was my own fault, I was in a rush before a Daily fractal run, and instead of placing the order, I instant bought it. The screen display is more than obvious. So really no-one else except myself to blame.  CS can't do anything as from their POV you bought the infusion outright.

Annoying kitten stuff like this happens on the whole to all of us ( human error ftw), but how you deal with it is what matters.  You can either decide to be in a bad mood thereafter, or a reflective mood and say to yaself "Okay I ****ed-up, what can I do to ensure I don't repeat the same mistake again ? "

Pro-tip to prevent TP instant buys: Keep the Liquid Gold on your account as LOW as possible and use TP Buy Orders as a "Personal Bank", e.g. put 10 x 200G Buy orders on Eternity or Perma Bank Access or Khan-ur infusion etc., so obvs your orders will never be fulfilled but it will negate instant buying by mistake.  Alternatively send gold and store it on your alt accounts.  When, and only when there is an item you want to buy or bid for: Ensure you only withdraw/transfer that exact amount back to your wallet so you cannot overbid or instant buy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

"Are you really sure?"

"Sure now?"

"Soo it's X, right?"

"And you want to buy X?"

"Are you sure?"

I always say these should be in German, it just sound so much more intimidating and serious.

"Sind Sie sicher?!"

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

Thank you. I stand corrected. Apparently, my issue was salvaging a precursor in 2018. Not buying the wrong item for 100 gold. Don't know how I mixed those two up. I swear it happened. Must be getting old. Alas, maybe you can't get your money back. Still, can't hurt to ask. 😉

Edit: My wife told me that happened in Warhammer Online not Guild Wars 2. My apologies for mixing those two experiences up. Epic face-palm...

It happens we all miss remember stuff, still only humans 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1