Removal of Reflect

The Boz.2038

The devs were on the right track with the removal of Retaliation. It was a clunky, badly scaling boon that was tough to work around from both a player and a designer perspective.

However, Projectile Reflect is still in the game. I feel like this should stop being the case. 

We already have both Block and Destroy Projectiles (IE Projectile Block). These can easily cover all use cases of current Reflects, without making WvW rangers want to fling themselves off cliffs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 16

Just now, Brandon Uzumaki.1524 said:

Great way to turn WvW into a Battle Royale since 99% of the playerbase would then run Ranger and Deadeye only lol.

What makes you think the current skills that offer reflect wouldn't get block instead, or that rangers and deadeyes would get perma-unblockable 100% uptime?

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

I think ranged projectile attacks of ranger, DH and renegade are so strong in PvP that having the ability to reflect them is only fair. Unless someone runs the faceroll inspi mirage bunker with countless reflects

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

LoL wouldnt it be handy if all reflects got replaced with blocks since you can just use Signet of the Hunt to negate the counter and still get that sweet 1220+ range kill with no counter? Pullleeaaasseee give us a break!

You're aware that unblockable projectiles cannot be reflected, right?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Reflect

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

That's the grand irony of this thread. Ranger player QQs over reflects, but doesn't take the tool to negate reflects.

Well, it's more that they were used to have a lot of unblockable uptime and now that it's in limited supply they feel like there is to much projectile hate. For me the irony of this thread is more that the OP compare apples (retaliation, a boon) and oranges (reflect, a skill effect often affecting a set area).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

The devs were on the right track with the removal of Retaliation. It was a clunky, badly scaling boon that was tough to work around from both a player and a designer perspective.

However, Projectile Reflect is still in the game. I feel like this should stop being the case. 

We already have both Block and Destroy Projectiles (IE Projectile Block). These can easily cover all use cases of current Reflects, without making WvW rangers want to fling themselves off cliffs.

A nice ranged flying off a cliff is one of game's highlight is you ask me.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

LoL wouldnt it be handy if all reflects got replaced with blocks since you can just use Signet of the Hunt to negate the counter and still get that sweet 1220+ range kill with no counter? Pullleeaaasseee give us a break!

Speaking of badly designed things, that signet. Yes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Jesus christ, find a better argument already. Literally my 2nd least played character. She's currently literally planted on a quartz node.

It's okay Boz, no offense was meant. The thing is you have a tool to negate the reflect if you want to take it. I say the same thing to warriors who QQ about lack of adrenaline, they have the tools to negate that problem, they just chose to not take them. In your case, take the signet, pop it when you need it and stomp them. I take Signet of Might sometimes when I run warrior rifle, and those unblockables a useful for screwing up guardians.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

It's okay Boz, no offense was meant. The thing is you have a tool to negate the reflect if you want to take it. I say the same thing to warriors who QQ about lack of adrenaline, they have the tools to negate that problem, they just chose to not take them. In your case, take the signet, pop it when you need it and stomp them. I take Signet of Might sometimes when I run warrior rifle, and those unblockables a useful for screwing up guardians.

Just because it technically exists doesn’t mean it’s even worth using, just like ranger in wvw zergs.  Signet off hunt has a 40s cd and it only lasts for 6 hits. The passive effect is also useless.

access to blocks and reflects has like a 90% uptime during a zerg fight whereas ranger has 6hits unblockable every 40s, lmao. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Given that in PvE there are bosses where reflect is required I doubt they ever remove this mechanic. 

In competitive modes it allows skillful counterplay and on my ranger I never really had a problem with reflect, you just kite for a few seconds. Reflect is also funny to use on lich form necros who are spamming 1 to hard.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bigo.9037 said:

Just because it technically exists doesn’t mean it’s even worth using, just like ranger in wvw zergs.  Signet off hunt has a 40s cd and it only lasts for 6 hits. The passive effect is also useless.

access to blocks and reflects has like a 90% uptime during a zerg fight whereas ranger has 6hits unblockable every 40s, lmao. 

Tough cookies, not every weapon on every class works in zerg v. zerg, it's not just a ranger problem. I can't run Longbow or rifle in that situation either on warrior. But for roaming and small scale? Pop the signet and nuke the class that is using reflects, the swap to GS and maul->hilt bash->maul the next class(es) that uses reflects, swap back to Longbow and pew pew to your heart's content.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

and i mean for real why is it nearly only the ranger who needs perma change weapons to do something?

mesmer can use all time just greatsword or other range weapon without a need to perma switch

dragon hunter dont need to perma switch he can just use all time longbow 

deadeye never need to switch he can use rifle all time 

and i bet more classes never need to switch to be able to do something

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2