Please remove Ember Bay JP from "Returning Champion" achievements :(

I have heard many bad things about this JP and while I don't agree with the original message of this thread, I really don't look forward to spending a few hours trying to clear this.   I wish I were exaggerating, but I am super bad at the JPs in this game.  That one fractal where you are jumping up the cliff side with harpies on broken fragments floating near by took me 40 mins to do and only cleared it because three friends decided to help me.

I know some Mesmers would sell a teleport for me, but I have like 90 silver at max.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

54 minutes ago, radda.8920 said:

And doesn't it seem suspicious to you that someone who invests so little time in the game gets a legendary item?

On which game other than gw2, we have access to legendaries without any difficulty and full of hours of play? these items are not imperative, they do not give better statistics, it is just a skin reserved for the most competent and regular players.

if you can't spend a lot of time on the game, that's okay but don't expect to have the same items that those who spend a lot of time there, it makes sense to me ..

we are talking about the most coveted rewards of the game, it is obvious that it will be reserved for few players. It's like you want a ferrari by working 2 hours per week.

it's nothing unfair, it's totally normal

What seems unfair to me is rather the opposite, is that someone who plays 3 hours a week has access to the best reward in the game as easily and quickly as a player who spends hours and hours there.

With all my respects are you sure that you have not mistaken the topic discussion? I'm NOT telling is unfair that a player who plays much less than other can't get as much of the good things, that's the way it should be by logic and i think this game does it pretty well at it when it comes to the wealth system balance, and it's not even necessary to spend crazy amounts of time to earn a lot of gold if you know how to move in the right places like certain meta events or fractals, I crafted 3 legendaries myself in a year despite playing a modest number of hours because I researched deeply, i watched guides and moved in the right direction when gathering the stuff required like mats and clovers for the gifts, all I'm saying is that something is wrong in this game when a player despite all his good will, intention and effort is unable to overcome a certain challenge and has no other alternative to reach that same end because an almost impossible JP got in the way, in my honest opinion it is a mistake that they included Chalice of Tears JP in the "Returning Champion" achievements firstly because the JP design leaves much to be desired, with very tricky terrains and extremely difficult to figure out the correct path without Youtube guides or TacO, second because simply this JP is a complete disappoint for casual players that just want to have some fun or relax and only leaves a trail of frustration and anger to the casual or average player, this is not about climbing and gaining experience as in fractals or getting better at beating enemies in PvP, here you find a harsh and brutal reality: a twisted, hardly enjoyable, tricky JP that the 95% of the players overcome researching carefully internet guides and with tricks, portals, mesmers, TacO and others, and there is no other alternative to achieve that same end for which you have invested many hours previously in other maps like in the LS2 'Returning Champion' achievements, now all my enthusiasm to complete all the achievements and making the effort to connect every week at least a few hours to not miss those before they finish is gone and it feels like wasted time honestly...anyway as i said before i'll take a break from this game and try this JP again forward.

Edited by Mitakuye Oyasin.6159
  • Like 3
  • Confused 7

25 minutes ago, Mitakuye Oyasin.6159 said:

With all my respects are you sure that you have not mistaken the topic discussion? I'm NOT telling is unfair that a player who plays much less than other can't get much of the good things, that's the way it should be by logic, and it's not even necessary to spend crazy amounts of time to earn a lot of gold if you know how to move in the right places like certain meta events or fractals, I crafted 3 legendaries myself in a year despite playing a modest number of hours because I researched deeply, i watched guides and moved in the right direction when gathering the stuff required like gifts, all I'm saying is that something is wrong in this game when a player despite all his good will, intention and effort is unable to overcome a certain challenge and has no other alternative to reach that same end, in my honest opinion it is a mistake that they included Chalice of Tears JP in the "Returning Champion" achievements firstly because the JP design leaves much to be desired, with very tricky terrains and extremely difficult to figure out the correct path without Youtube guides or TacO, second because simply this JP is a complete disappoint for casual players that just want to have some fun or relax and only leaves a trail of frustration and anger to the casual or average player, this is not about climbing and gaining experience as in fractals or getting better at beating enemies in PvP, here you find a harsh and brutal reality: a twisted, hardly enjoyable, tricky JP that the 95% of the players overcome researching carefully internet guides and with tricks, portals, mesmers, TacO and others, and there is no other alternative to achieve an end for which you have invested many hours previously, like in the LS2 achievements, anyway as i said i'll take a break from this game and try this JP again forward.

I am just saying that I find it unfair that the casual gamer who cannot afford to play 3 hours or more on a daily basis and doesn't have a great skill level has to give up certain items like the legendary amulet

yet that's exactly what you say, you complain about spending hours in content and you find it too difficult for you.

Well I will answer you again that it is normal to spend a lot of time trying to get a legendary item and that it should only be accessible to people who pass the challenges.

Otherwise I agree, the first legendary weapons are easy to obtain, i thing they were far too easy to acquire without any difficulty other than farming like a robot.

I was happy with the prerequisites of  the raid armor for example. So I'll tell you again, I find it quite normal that you don't get the LEGENDARY amulet if you don't have the level.

if you don't take pleasure in doing it, you don't do it... very easy. But you won't get the reward you can't have it all ... there are plenty of rewards in the game that always require boring stages. The majority even.

we will have the DRM to do again in a few months, that's for sure. For me, it's really a  torture to do, I prefer to finish chalice of tears ten times than to return to these crappy missions. And yet I would have to do it if I want the reward.

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mitakuye Oyasin.6159 said:

P.D. Thanks to the ones who posted the video guide though i already tried this guide and many more, i think i'll take a break from the game and when the Ember Bay achievements come back try my luck again with this JP a 2nd time by myself and if not possible again then my last hope that are mesmers (a kind of resort that shouldn't happen because everybody should be available to do it without spending hours and hours there, but hey that's just my opinion.) 

These "Return to:" achievements are not exactly going away. If you don't do them while they are current, they just rotate down into the side story category to be completed whenever. It hardly seems worth quitting, or taking a large break from the game over. It is in your best interest to do it now if you struggle at JPs, while there are mesmers around to help rather than say in 3 months when the map will be fairly dead again and mesmer assistance will be much more fleeting.

It took me hours to complete the first time. After that I have happily accepted mesmer assistance to skip a couple of the really obnoxious jumps. I'm mediocre at JPs at best. All told I think without mesmer assistance you need to do it four or five times to get the legendaries.  First three of those without grabbing the chest because of mursaat coin locations which are required to start the Aurora collection, which are in unrecoverable locations without some kind of necro ghost walk or mesmer portal to get back on track. Then once again for the Aurora collection, and now for the Amulet. There are other ways to get a Legendary Amulet though if you really can't stand it.

Whatever path you choose, its an optional achievement, if you don't like it, skip it! Don't let it ruin your game. Good luck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

There's also the garbage of the Draconis Mons Jumping Puzzle with its obstructed, unclear paths. 

I bet that one will make its return as well in two weeks (i think, if i remember the order of LS chapters well). Not looking forward to it either.

Secondly, the Tactical Overlay with Tekkit's guides has an optimal path for getting through  the JP.  If you closely follow the line drawn out for you, you'll make it with no problems.  You'll avoid the slip-n-slide and the jets of lava that can knock you out of gliding so it becomes even easier.  Even without this overlay, there's the portable position rewinder from season 4 that you could use to minimize the failures.  You could also just play a mesmer yourself and bring a self portal.

Did all of it. Still took me 2 hours or so.

Some of the jumps are just bad. If you don't land precisely on a specific pixel, you fall. And even with portal and rewinder, you will still need to keep jumping and jumping hoping this time you will land just right. And in some places there's a number of those jumps one after another in-between checkpoints. So, you make one jump, you make another, then you fall on third, and you need to repeat it all. And this time it's still as bad as it was previously.

Thirdly, there are about 6 dozen or so people online at primetime.  A good portion of these people are mesmers porting people through the JP to each checkpoint.  You literally don't even have to jump.

I was the only mesmer in the puzzle. There were no squads visible in LFG either (i checked).

Lastly, this whole series of achievements is optional.  You could just pvp if you want a legendary amulet

Yes, i'm sure Anet wil be just delighted if people will just give up on that amulet, and decide to skip the whole expac promotional event.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

You did see that this video is editied?

You did see that I responded a few posts later?  Whether edited or not, it’s a a full play through of how long it would have taken her had she not. made mistakes. I also posted other videos of those who were able to complete the JP in under 15 min who were not mesmers, to disprove the poster’s claim that it was impossible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Cerioth.7062 said:

The point? It's perfectly doable.

I didn't say it couldn't be done. I love JP and have often helped others with difficult JP myself.
But to post a video to "prove" something and then post one where clearly visibly are edited parts ^^'', well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

I didn't say it couldn't be done. I love JP and have often helped others with difficult JP myself.
But to post a video to "prove" something and then post one where clearly visibly are edited parts ^^'', well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

53 minutes ago, Mitakuye Oyasin.6159 said:

in my honest opinion it is a mistake that they included Chalice of Tears JP in the "Returning Champion" achievements firstly because the JP design leaves much to be desired, with very tricky terrains and extremely difficult to figure out the correct path without Youtube guides or TacO, second because simply this JP is a complete disappoint for casual players that just want to have some fun or relax and only leaves a trail of frustration and anger to the casual or average player, this is not about climbing and gaining experience as in fractals or getting better at beating enemies in PvP, here you find a harsh and brutal reality: a twisted, hardly enjoyable, tricky JP that the 95% of the players overcome researching carefully internet guides and with tricks, portals, mesmers, TacO and others, and there is no other alternative to achieve that same end for which you have invested many hours previously in other maps like in the LS2 'Returning Champion' achievements, now all my enthusiasm to complete all the achievements and making the effort to connect every week at least a few hours to not miss those before they finish is gone and it feels like wasted time honestly...anyway as i said before i'll take a break from this game and try this JP again forward.

Nah, it's not a mistake. For now all of these achievements are still easy if you consider what rewards are included for them. If those hypothetical casual players want to have some fun or relax then they're free to play whatever they want without pretending that they deserve legendary equipment for chopping 30 trees weekly lol. They don't need to do it, even moreso if they're casual. They don't need legendary gear for anything and a single amulet won't change pretty much anything in their playstyle. You're free to play what you want. But you want the rewards! But you don't want to do the content. 😶 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

i just joined within the first hours a group with a mesmer and he ported us . took ~ 20min because some ppl still managed to fall down and he helped them getting back.

the easiest was Dry Top. Like 5min solo. Silverwaste 45min with 30ppl. Even with mounts. kitten labyrinth and bugged checkpoints 😄

Edited by phreeak.1023
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

This is what is required to get the best equipment in the game. If people can't do this, then PvE players don't really deserve legendaries after all.

If that's the case then neither do the "non PvE" players as their requirements on gameplay difficulty are even below the OW starting area levels.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

20 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

If that's the case then neither do the "non PvE" players as their requirements on gameplay difficulty are even below the OW starting area levels.

Exactly.

Legendary items are not really something special. You can grind? You can get legy!

Even the Raid-Armor can be purchased ...

I mean, as people say here. Find a mesmer who will do the work for you. And people write proudly that they would never pay for the port, just take it for granted.
Who sees Legys as something special probably also thinks that GW2 is a hardcore game (there was even once a thread ...).

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Blocki.4931 said:

Takes like 15 minutes if you're bad, come on now. There are enough mesmers around that get you through it, so do it right now before they move on.

This game is beyond easy if you just talk to the hundreds of other players there doing the same thing, not having a single issue.

But GW2 is not a platform game. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, kenny.7236 said:

And you also don't need to collect every single shiny in the game. If you want new legendary trinket, work for it. So far this JP is the ONLY "hard" part in the the entire collection. We'll be back to farming trees and plants in no time 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Mitakuye Oyasin.6159 said:

Please for mercy I beg you to delete that jumping puzzle achievement from Ember Bay map that is mandatory to complete the "Returning Champion" achievements, many of us simply do not have the skill level to complete a jumping puzzle of such extreme difficulty, right now I have given up after trying for hours and I am aware that this is the case for many more players apart from me, are we condemned to not get a legendary amulet just because we can't complete a JP? It seems unfair to me 😞

I understand the reasoning behind this. Also, when we move to the next map, I worry for those left behind when mesmers with jumping skills aren’t as abundant. Weeks prior, we joked ArenaNet would add the Chalice of Tears as a step toward the legendary.

It seems the joke’s on us.

Agreed, even though I’ve done it, I concur its removal as a need toward the achievement makes sense. Once more, Chalice of Tears has its reputation for a reason.

Edit: Some of the elitist responses to this request are down-right rude.

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 4

38 minutes ago, kenny.7236 said:

Anet made jumping part of GW2 when they created it. They added jumping puzzles to the game. They added achievements and various rewards tied to jumping puzzles. Clearly jumping puzzles are a part of this game whether you choose to agree with it or not. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

42 minutes ago, kenny.7236 said:

i swung a sword i swung a sword again hey hey i swung it again. we just don't want players to grind in guild wars2, we want to change the way that people view combat

Does it remind you of something? it was also what the game shouldn't be and yet when I go to drizlewood coast and most of the meta events, I don't really feel like it

This game wasn't supposed to rest on the grind and yet the majority of the rewards and achievements come down to that.

Therefore an achievement with a jumping puzzle is more coherent than spending his time farming golds  for a legendary.

Edited by radda.8920
  • Confused 5

7 hours ago, radda.8920 said:

What seems unfair to me is rather the opposite, is that someone who plays 3 hours a week has access to the best reward in the game as easily and quickly as a player who spends hours and hours there.

Keep in mind Guild Wars 2 promotes itself as an ultra-casual game where you don’t have to spend hours upon hours in the game to compete and have fun. In fact, they also promoted this in the way we gain this PvE legendary.

The chain has no timetable. The achievements aren’t time-gated. And the requirements aren’t going away. It’s play at your own pace until you get the reward. They’re not getting anything ‘easily and quickly as those who spend hours there.’

The thread’s point is the jumping puzzle is cruel to those without hand/eye coordination. Moreso, the OP said she attempted it for hours and hours. She’s not asking for a freebie. She’s asking to remove one requirement most acknowledge isn’t much fun.

Again, it’s not a demand. She’s asking for consideration. Nothing more.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

And you also don't need to collect every single shiny in the game. If you want new legendary trinket, work for it. So far this JP is the ONLY "hard" part in the the entire collection. We'll be back to farming trees and plants in no time 🙂

What makes you think that I am not working for it?

I collected all the tokens on my own a few days ago before Return to Ember Bay.

First thing I did just after reset was port to Ember Bay and look for CoT JP porting service squad.

Of course I tip the main mesmer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Was about to attempt it my own but it seemed confusing. However, I was lucky to find a squad led my an amazing mesmer. I felt like I was on an expedition up a volcano with a Sherpa. Even just waiting for ports on pointy peaks I felt the adrenaline. Honestly, it was one of the most fun social things I did in the game.

So I find it a great achievement, but get on it while the event is still hot (as in popular, not the lava kind of hot, it's always lava hot). Will probably suck for the latecomers. 

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3