Please remove Ember Bay JP from "Returning Champion" achievements :(

30 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

Imagine if all players requested to remove something which they don’t find “fun”. 

Funny, after years of reading these forums, I thought they did under the guise of balance. Regardless, the point stands. Making light of it says more than you intended.

But that's another topic.

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

28 minutes ago, firedragon.8953 said:

Was about to attempt it my own but it seemed confusing. However, I was lucky to find a squad led my an amazing mesmer. I felt like I was on an expedition up a volcano with a Sherpa. Even just waiting for ports on pointy peaks I felt the adrenaline. Honestly, it was one of the most fun social things I did in the game.

So I find it a great achievement, but get on it while the event is still hot (as in popular, not the lava kind of hot, it's always lava hot). Will probably suck for the latecomers. 

I feel like that might have been the point, facilitating some different experiences the usual. Glad you enjoyed it. 🙂

Better would be to stop making these terrible JP's. I dont mind the good ones, where there is actual logic on where to go and makes sense where to navigate to. This one, and the one in draconis are just follow the guide or do lots and lots of leaps of faith.. That doesnt make it much of a puzzle for me.  The one in sirens landing is much better made as just an example. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Because of threads like this we can't have nice things. "This too hard and I'm unwilling to change to complete the task".

Several suggestions from me

First, GIT GUD , probably the whole point of the horizontal progression game that is GW 2.

If you can't GIT GUD , ASK FOR kittenING HELP, you know MMO, be social or antisocial and use the LFG . There are many people out there that will mesmer portal people to the end, some for free some for money.

Then there is the Position Rewinder and the Taco addon if you want to solo it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

43 minutes ago, Vancho.8750 said:

Because of threads like this we can't have nice things. "This too hard and I'm unwilling to change to complete the task".

Several suggestions from me

First, GIT GUD , probably the whole point of the horizontal progression game that is GW 2.

If you can't GIT GUD , ASK FOR kittenING HELP, you know MMO, be social or antisocial and use the LFG . There are many people out there that will mesmer portal people to the end, some for free some for money.

Then there is the Position Rewinder and the Taco addon if you want to solo it. 

They are not difficult, they are just boring, long winded and full of glitches. There's nothing difficult about pressing your space bar, you just need add ons, video guides, mesmer portals, position rewinders, anything else? to make them tolerable for the overwhelming majority of people.  I went to this JP and there were very few people doing it, 99% were going through mesmer portals so what is the point of having this as part of the achievement if noone is actually doing it?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Bingus.4236 said:

They are not difficult, they are just boring, long winded and full of glitches. There's nothing difficult about pressing your space bar, you just need add ons, video guides, mesmer portals, position rewinders, anything else? to make them tolerable for the overwhelming majority of people.  I went to this JP and there were very few people doing it, 99% were going through mesmer portals so what is the point of having this as part of the achievement if noone is actually doing it?

The mesmer is doing it and the Jank of it all is creating an interaction between the mesmer and the people wanting to just finish it, this is the human factor finding a way to complete the task in a simpler manner, a work around.

How is it not difficult if you need all of that to finish it, even the simple action of pressing the space bar is made difficult by the when, where and how far is made a challenge. You are saying it is easy, but I'll ask you have you finished it without any help, no guides, no portals, no rewinders on a something that does not have fail safe lets say Warrior? Is the intended way of finishing it not hard? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vancho.8750 said:

The mesmer is doing it and the Jank of it all is creating an interaction between the mesmer and the people wanting to just finish it, this is the human factor finding a way to complete the task in a simpler manner, a work around.

How is it not difficult if you need all of that to finish it, even the simple action of pressing the space bar is made difficult by the when, where and how far is made a challenge. You are saying it is easy, but I'll ask you have you finished it without any help, no guides, no portals, no rewinders on a something that does not have fail safe lets say Warrior? Is the intended way of finishing it not hard? 

All these cheat things and that is what they are, are saving time not making the puzzle less difficult. They are completely bypassing the game, rather than reducing the difficulty. I don't know why you think jumping across ledges is difficult. 

30 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Maybe to help foster cooperation among the playerbase? 

A cooperation that is achieved this way is not a win for the developers. It just means that a lot of players agree dev design skills are so bad players need to help each other in order to overcome those failures.

It won't make them not think of it as a failure. Quite the opposite - it just reinforces that judgement even more.

In Chalice, players don;t help each other out because the JP is fun. They help each other out because it is so bad.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

With a legendary item on offer, the inclusion of this puzzle isn't even slightly surprising to me. I'd be upset about it as well if it weren't for the fact that there are alternative ways of doing it (some of which are literally as simple as pressing F) that combat the uptick in difficulty. People don't like the Mesmer answer because they want to keep hammering home how annoying and unforgiving they feel the puzzle itself is. Doesn't matter. There exist accessible alternatives to doing it the old-fashioned way. I am grateful for that. It creates the balance I need to be okay with it.

Call me when this meta requires you to do a raid or asks you to complete a level 100 fractal or challenge mode strike or win 50 PvP matches.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

A cooperation that is achieved this way is not a win for the developers. It just means that a lot of players agree dev design skills are so bad players need to help each other in order to overcome those failures.

It won't make them not think of it as a failure. Quite the opposite - it just reinforces that judgement even more.

In Chalice, players don;t help each other out because the JP is fun. They help each other out because it is so bad.

By your definition, any group content is bad design. Everything needs to be completed solo, so no-one ever needs help from other players. I respectfully disagree with that view.
There are many JPs in the game that I can't do without help. I ended up enjoying my return to this one. I had help from a Guildie to reach CP0 (having fallen in the lava on my first attempt) and then took mesmer portals to the end. It was a little chaotic, with portals popping up everywhere, as people were being ported between different stages. A couple of times I ended up going backwards by mistake, but I just laughed at my incompetence and waited for the next portal. Onwards to Draconis Mons!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

25 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

By your definition, any group content is bad design. Everything needs to be completed solo, so no-one ever needs help from other players.

Nowhere did i said that. I said, that grouping that is forced by bad design is not a good thing.

My point was that bad design is not made better if it causes players to help others out in order to overcome it. It will still be bad regardless.

And this specific JP is just badly designed. It has nothing to do with difficulty. It's still badly designed when you get portalled to the top in less than 5 minutes. And it would be badly designed even if it were laughably easy. The only difference is that if it were laughably easy, that bad design would be far less impactful and easier to ignore.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Mitakuye Oyasin.6159 said:

Please for mercy I beg you to delete that jumping puzzle achievement from Ember Bay map that is mandatory to complete the "Returning Champion" achievements, many of us simply do not have the skill level to complete a jumping puzzle of such extreme difficulty, right now I have given up after trying for hours and I am aware that this is the case for many more players apart from me, are we condemned to not get a legendary amulet just because we can't complete a JP? It seems unfair to me 😞

YOu can ask help from other players. 
Position rewinder, portals etc. all are a blessing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I think there is a huge range of thought on this JP and any other ones with glides/jumps around blind corners, exact pixel accuracy and/or timing needed, and so forth.  At one extreme end of the spectrum are players who think the only TRUE way to do a JP is solo with no Mesmer portals, no teleport to friend, no YouTube guides, no wiki guides, no TACO, no mounts, and no Prototype Position Rewinder.  At the other extreme would be players who say heck yeah, use all those things immediately.

I'd venture a guess that many of us are somewhere in between. Me, I always to try a JP on my own first with no aids at all.  Stubborn?  You bet.  After an hour or so, if I keep falling, dying, or otherwise failing, then I'll look up a YT video and use my PPR.  Point is, there's no wrong way to do it.  That's why this is a game, not a real-life test.

Edited by Witch of Doom.5739

19 hours ago, Mitakuye Oyasin.6159 said:

Please for mercy I beg you to delete that jumping puzzle achievement from Ember Bay map that is mandatory to complete the "Returning Champion" achievements, many of us simply do not have the skill level to complete a jumping puzzle of such extreme difficulty, right now I have given up after trying for hours and I am aware that this is the case for many more players apart from me, are we condemned to not get a legendary amulet just because we can't complete a JP? It seems unfair to me 😞

Those who complete the achievement get the reward, those who do not, don't. Nothing unfair about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I think the Chalice of Tears is one of the most social and fun places to be in the game right now, with all the helpful porting and little groups of peeps waiting for their next port, and people falling to their death. Brings out the best in this game.  There's even chatter going on! 😲 But I will admit that this is probably going to be over within a few weeks and then it will be a lot harder. It's a hard puzzle, but for a Legendary amulet I think it is warranted that such content is also part of it.

EDIT: Got corrected on my following statement: 'Using 4 or 5 TP to Friend is also an option as long as there are enough people doing it, no mesmers needed then." 

So it's all down to Mesmers, or your own skills and patience. 🙂

Edited by Tyncale.1629
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

8 hours ago, Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

Keep in mind Guild Wars 2 promotes itself as an ultra-casual game where you don’t have to spend hours upon hours in the game to compete and have fun. In fact, they also promoted this in the way we gain this PvE legendary.

And you don't have to. And you absolutely don't need any legendary equipment, amulet or not. Hilarious how you try to pretend it's somehow defying its "casual-friendly nature" because it doesn't hand you free legendaries 🙄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

Some of the people here should be ashamed of their comments, we are a better community than this. This game is ultra-casual 95% of the time so much so that you can autoattack metas and bosses. The second people make VALID points about that 5% being far too difficult when compared to everything else in the game it seems like an invite for some of you to attack others. Shame on you. But the point of of this topic is not that the JP is hard at all, it's that it is poorly designed (which it is), there is too many 1-pixel slips that can kill you, checkpoints are poorly labelled, if you miss a checkpoint you get nothing, etc. etc. It is just badly designed. I will never understand the thought process of people who think something unbalanced is just difficult content when the only reason it is difficult is because it was not worked harder on. Bad design is just that, bad design.

When people speak of disability/mobility issues don't mock them, other people exist in the world and they don't have all the same skills or abilities as everyone else. Some of the regular content can be an issue for them yet they don't complain about changing it, they don't expect it or feel entitled to it. They are absolutely allowed to say "hey, this is way too difficult" and whether they have disability/mobility issues or not, just don't mock them. This particular JP would be considered unbalanced if you look at other JPs in the game. Not to mention different machines producing different experiences through graphics or ping.

What you think you are saying: I had no problems, it's not that hard.
What you are actually saying: I don't care, I got mine.

What you think you are saying: Just pay a mesmer to port you, easy. (includes youtube, wiki, taco also)
What you are actually saying: I want to skip this content as well.

What you think you are saying: Doing the JP requires skill, you don't have skill.
What you are actually saying: Gathering ore is part of the meta and takes skill.

What you think you are saying: GIT GUD
What you are actually saying: I have nothing to contribute.

What you think you are saying: If I have to do the JP then so do you.
What you are actually saying: I feel entitled that other people should not receive help unless I get it too.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Turial.1293 said:

Some of the people here should be ashamed of their comments, we are a better community than this. This game is ultra-casual 95% of the time so much so that you can autoattack metas and bosses. The second people make VALID points about that 5% being far too difficult when compared to everything else in the game it seems like an invite for some of you to attack others. Shame on you.

There's NOTHING valid about that. When you -or anyone else- cry how 5%(!!!) of the game being hard is UNACCEPTABLE, then you show nothing else than an insane entitlement that 100% of the game doesn't revolve around you. You don't need this achievement, this JP or any of the legendary items to have casual fun in this game. So instead of spamming how shameful it is that some people still want that 5%(!!!) of the game to be something harder than autoattacking bosses(!!!), it's you who should be ashamed of your entitlement because most of the content catering to you is not enough, it has to be ALL of the content, right? Nice hypocrisy, good job.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5