Concerns with the way the last 2 ow like events were done.

I think one of the ways gw2 stands out and is unique from its counterparts is how it aproaches ow, esp with how it can have map spanning metas or massive 100 player world bosses in the ow, it is with that in mind that i express some concern with how the end of ibs meta and marionette were implemented.

I think gw2 is at its best when you find some randoms in a map, you see a map icon indicating the event and the 1 random guy turns into 5 doing that, then 10 then 20, then 50 and so on as the events progress (similarly how a massive enemy spawns in the ow and tens of players jump on it for the loot). Imo marionette in both public and private being an isntance detached from ow takes away from what makes the content special. I can understand it with the private version, it is intented to be challenging and being lowman 50 makes sense, but the public version not being in the ow is just bizzare to me.

Similarly i feel weird about the ibs end map event being smth you go to through the helicopter in eotn and not on the ow in a map that has its own events, gatherables, exploration etc (at least in the case of the ibs event i can justify as anet having most of their ppl in eod). I just hope metas and world bosses dont follow the public and private isntanced format (private should be instanced if thats smth to be explored further with future events).

Edit: also  wanted to clarify that i also enjoy map metas on a clock where ppl gatherup beforehand and begin the event at the same time (see hot metas)

Edited by zealex.9410
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I imagine a lot of this is happening in instances because of EoD and the lack of resources available to do other things concurrently. I too would have preferred Dragonstorm and Marionette to be OW, but the devs have already cut so much out of IBS that I'm not surprised everything got wrapped up in a strike mission. If this is to be the format until EoD is released, then so be it, it just wouldn't be my first choice.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I imagine a lot of this is happening in instances because of EoD and the lack of resources available to do other things concurrently. I too would have preferred Dragonstorm and Marionette to be OW, but the devs have already cut so much out of IBS that I'm not surprised everything got wrapped up in a strike mission. If this is to be the format until EoD is released, then so be it, it just wouldn't be my first choice.

I can live with that, i guess im just looking for some confirmation that the game wont follow this instanced format into eod as well.

Marionette is something that requires numbers. 30 is pretty much the bare minimum assuming you have 10 who can duo the champ and everyone else can solo.

Marionette being open world would just create unnecessary conflicts of interest between people who are just on the map versus people who are actually trying to get into an instance to do the event. It would also impose additional restrictions on it as you would have to account for both scaled down lv80s and lower level players participating.

For events that need a large amount of people either ends up being practically the same(open LFG, look for group, maybe waste some time trying to join because the instance is full even though the squad isn't) except the instanced versions are more convenient for the people who actually want to do the event as opposed to the people who will only do it if they happen to be there(or at least the same map) when the event starts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

How would you feel about mari being a weekly world event? She could have the chance to drop ascended and maybe some thing cool like a chance at a mount skin and infusions minis ect. But it would only be one 24 hour period a week and she would spawn the event every 2 hours in that period. Is that something that you would like? That way there is not a lot of burnout since its one day a week and people will come and do it. It being a weekly you can get gold for doing it once a week also.

To add to this I feel burnout comes when things are too common and you find yourself grinding them every day. so i think this would be good as a weekly 

Edited by Zuldari.3940

I honestly don't count Dragonstorm and Marionette as OW events. Similiar to what that_shaman said I think of them as large scale instanced content, another new type after DRMs/SMs/Raids.

I'm pretty sure Cantha is going back to OW-Maps.

Edited by Raknar.4735
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Marionette is something that requires numbers. 30 is pretty much the bare minimum assuming you have 10 who can duo the champ and everyone else can solo.

Marionette being open world would just create unnecessary conflicts of interest between people who are just on the map versus people who are actually trying to get into an instance to do the event. It would also impose additional restrictions on it as you would have to account for both scaled down lv80s and lower level players participating.

For events that need a large amount of people either ends up being practically the same(open LFG, look for group, maybe waste some time trying to join because the instance is full even though the squad isn't) except the instanced versions are more convenient for the people who actually want to do the event as opposed to the people who will only do it if they happen to be there(or at least the same map) when the event starts.

Every event so far in the game has required numbers and for the sake of the mmo feel it has existed in the ow despite some of the downsides.

If it doesnt have the numbers it fails, simple as that and not smth that being isntanced will solve.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

How would you feel about mari being a weekly world event? She could have the chance to drop ascended and maybe some thing cool like a chance at a mount skin and infusions minis ect. But it would only be one 24 hour period a week and she would spawn the event every 2 hours in that period. Is that something that you would like? That way there is not a lot of burnout since its one day a week and people will come and do it. It being a weekly you can get gold for doing it once a week also.

To add to this I feel burnout comes when things are too common and you find yourself grinding them every day. so i think this would be good as a weekly 

It could prob exiwt within the daily rotation and like tt be an event that weekly gets an organized group, honestly i dont care how often it happens but it should be in the ow imo.

7 minutes ago, zealex.9410 said:

It could prob exiwt within the daily rotation and like tt be an event that weekly gets an organized group, honestly i dont care how often it happens but it should be in the ow imo.

Fair enough, imo I want it as a weekly that way there isnt burnout and it gets left on the shelf. I wouldnt mind it over world, the coolest events i have experienced in games are open world events. Imagine traipsing around a zone doing your business and all of a sudden you see off in the distance a massive event taking place, a monster has risen and the call to arms has gone out! You ride with all the fury you can muster to heed the call to save the innocent, and stop the rampaging monster! along the way you join other heroic souls as you gather a force to defeat the creature or die trying!

yes ima nerd 😎

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Haha 1

I think they need to do both OW and this. What they're building now actually creates the ablity for guilds to do large-scale PVE events which is something the game is lacking. However they need to change a few things:

1) Make the base encounter easier for Marionette, but add CMs to scale it up to current difficulty. Casual guilds should have a place in this content.
2) Give DS CMs to scale it up to Marionette difficulty for those who want it. We'll see if hardcore players really want challenge or loot once these changes are made
3) Significantly buff the base rewards for both. They're not super competitive with organized meta trains right now, which it should replace or supplement.

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, zealex.9410 said:

If it doesnt have the numbers it fails, simple as that and not smth that being isntanced will solve.

Instancing does solve that problem, as it allows them to control when it starts or use a queue to guarantee it's always full. Open world ends up requiring LFG.

• Confused 2

Something to remember with Marionette was that in LW1 if it failed, it would kill everyone on the map. Being killed out of the blue with no knowledge of what caused it isn't great for new player retention. Killing everyone in an instance who knows about it is fine, but killing everyone on the map every 2 hours isn't enjoyable. Even if some fights would succeed, enough would fail (especially in off-hours) to turn people off of the map, if not the game entirely.

That said, I also wish there was more open world stuff being added. Hopefully in EoD and they'll have learned from PoF in how to balance difficulty and rewards so that events aren't dead within months of release.

We get the first real announcement for EoD next week, the first time they're going to tell us more than just that it exists and is set in Cantha. That will probably be when we find out a bit about the types of meta-events and other activites which will be included.

1 minute ago, Zephire.8049 said:

Something to remember with Marionette was that in LW1 if it failed, it would kill everyone on the map. Being killed out of the blue with no knowledge of what caused it isn't great for new player retention. Killing everyone in an instance who knows about it is fine, but killing everyone on the map every 2 hours isn't enjoyable. Even if some fights would succeed, enough would fail (especially in off-hours) to turn people off of the map, if not the game entirely.

That said, I also wish there was more open world stuff being added. Hopefully in EoD and they'll have learned from PoF in how to balance difficulty and rewards so that events aren't dead within months of release.

There's an easy fix to that: do it like Mad King Says at Halloween, which only affects people who are within the event radius. Since the Marionette is in a fairly out of the way corner and the entire of that area is devoted to the event (when it's running) you couldn't miss that something big is going on. You might not understand what exactly is happening or why it killed you, but at least you'd have seen the event going on first.

• Like 1

It would be nice to see some new OW content.

That being said I believe that events that require even a small semblance of coordination, Dragonstorm & Marionete, should stay as instanced content. 

You only have to look at Triple Trouble to see why this is the case. That event requires a large amount of players to participate and also coordinate with each another. This leads to a conflicting mentality between the people who want to do the event and the people who are doing their own thing in the map. And something like this can often lead to toxic behavior by harrassing other players to leave the map to open new slots.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

Instancing does solve that problem, as it allows them to control when it starts or use a queue to guarantee it's always full. Open world ends up requiring LFG.

I think there are ways you could solve that in open world too. But instanced events are somewhat more predictable.

5 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

There's an easy fix to that: do it like Mad King Says at Halloween, which only affects people who are within the event radius. Since the Marionette is in a fairly out of the way corner and the entire of that area is devoted to the event (when it's running) you couldn't miss that something big is going on. You might not understand what exactly is happening or why it killed you, but at least you'd have seen the event going on first.

Oh for sure, though with the dev team being full steam ahead with EoD to the point they cut IBS short, it's not surprising they went for an instance where they wouldn't have to deal with sectioning it off both for that and add in no mounts and no gliding parts of a map on top of it.

Possible? Absolutely! Worth all the extra time on top of everything else? Probably not.

Please don't forget OW meta events have their own share of problem. I have to go in Sparkly Fen and wait for 15-30 mins for Tequatl if I want to ensure I go in populated map focusing on the meta, same with Auric Basin and Tangled Depths.

With the instanced public map option for IBS battle and Marionette, I am able to pop in to EotN the minute it started. It allows me to use the time to enjoy other content rather than AFK-ing on the map waiting for the event.

Having more exploration content is good, but these big boss instanced events are not "lacking", they have their own benefits in terms of coordination and simplicity.

Edited by phandaria.4891
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, phandaria.4891 said:

Please don't forget OW meta events have their own share of problem. I have to go in Sparkly Fen and wait for 15-30 mins for Tequatl if I want to ensure I go in populated map focusing on the meta, same with Auric Basin and Tangled Depths.

With the instanced public map option for IBS battle and Marionette, I am able to pop in to EotN the minute it started. It allows me to use the time to enjoy other content rather than AFK-ing on the map waiting for the event.

Having more exploration content is good, but these big boss instanced events are not "lacking", they have their own benefits in terms of coordination and simplicity.

For me it was the opposite. For some reason EotN and the Marionette map are both quite slow to load for me, so I always had to head there about 10-15 minutes before the fight was due to start to make sure I got to EotN on time and would be able to enter the Marionette map as soon as it opened so I'd be in before too much time had gone past. Otherwise I'd be the last one to join that instance, take a long time to load and find it had already started by the time I arrived. But there's very little to do in EotN so I'd just be standing there afk (usually reading the forum) waiting for it to start, whereas with open-world metas I can gather materials, do smaller events or even do some of the pre-events if it's something like Tangled Depths (which might be pointless if I end up moving to another map, but at least it's something to do).

Going by the number of people I'd see standing at the scrying pool waiting for it to start I'm not the only one in that situation.

1 hour ago, Blocki.4931 said:

Isn't it super obvious that this is simply the case because they couldn't give them open world maps? Especially because they would be really small.

That's probably true for Dragonstorm, it seems fairly obvious a lot was cut from IBS to focused on EoD instead and that might well include a larger map which this event would have been part of.

But the Marionette is already part of an open-world map. The original version happened in Lornar's Pass and you can still see the 5 lanes and the wreckage of the Marionette in the open-world version. It would probably have been more work to program it to run as a separate instance, set up the boundaries, create the UI for a way to get in etc. than to have the original open-world version back.