I get some of these EoD complaints, but...

Some of you are really unrealistic and demanding. I mean, c'mon. New race? Not gonna happen. It only requires just a bit of thinking to see why that would be a HUGE amount of work and impossible to work in, narratively speaking. I mean, it would be cool if they could make it happen, but I REALLY don't see how it would be at all possible.

Secondary professions? MAYBE could work. Maybe. But it would also require a HELL of a lot of reworking as well. If I remember correctly, they also actually tried secondary professions during GW2 development and abandoned it, probably wisely, because handling the combat with two classes with dual class features was getting to be way too complicated and annoying to control, not to mention the new potential class conflicts arising from such that you'd have to write around.

Showing more of the story/world? Yeah, they don't want to spoil it. When you first set foot in Cantha, they want everything to feel new and fresh. And that's not gonna happen if they dump a bunch of video footage of almost all the areas and story and reveals.

And finally, some of you are even hating on the pre-order bonus. Like, ok, yeah. It might be plastic, but in some ways, that's actually better, believe it or not. Means you don't have to worry about it shattering into a million pieces if you so much as breathe on it. I know I'd be very p***ed and sad if I broke a limited edition glass statue and, in the end, would just rather it be plastic so that doesn't happen, even if that means making it less "fancy". Also, it IS very pretty looking and very appropriate to GW2.

-

So, in summary, yes, there is reason to worry, but calm the hell down. It's gonna be ok and we got over 8 freaking months left before release.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

I don't understand why people hype up games anyway. 

When was the last time any game was up to the hype? 

Can't remember a single one. 

Or comparing Gw2 to other games like ff14. 

That's like comparing McDonald's to a successful small food chain. 

We get crazy value for the price we pay. 

50 dollars for an MMO with no subscription. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

When was the last time any game was up to the hype?

Halo: Reach I think was the last game I saw that both met and absolutely exceeded the hype. Maybe Divinity: Original Sin 2, but that one just BARELY doesn't make it because the multiplayer didn't have the featureset that Neverwinter Nights multiplayer had. Also, I don't like being forced to manage more than two characters, but that one's all me.

9 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Or compare Gw2 to other games like ff14. 

That's like comparing McDonald's to a successful small food chain.

Nah, it's more like comparing McDonald's to Panda Express. They're completely different things with different goals. FF14 is aimed at story, gearing, and grinding. GW2 is aimed at respecting time, player freedom, and fashion.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Some of you are really unrealistic and demanding. I mean, c'mon. New race? Not gonna happen. It only requires just a bit of thinking to see why that would be a HUGE amount of work and impossible to work in, narratively speaking. I mean, it would be cool if they could make it happen, but I REALLY don't see how it would be at all possible.

Secondary professions? MAYBE could work. Maybe. But it would also require a HELL of a lot of reworking as well. If I remember correctly, they also actually tried secondary professions during GW2 development and abandoned it, probably wisely, because handling the combat with two classes with dual class features was getting to be way too complicated and annoying to control, not to mention the new potential class conflicts arising from such that you'd have to write around.

Showing more of the story/world? Yeah, they don't want to spoil it. When you first set foot in Cantha, they want everything to feel new and fresh. And that's not gonna happen if they dump a bunch of video footage of almost all the areas and story and reveals.

And finally, some of you are even hating on the pre-order bonus. Like, ok, yeah. It might be plastic, but in some ways, that's actually better, believe it or not. Means you don't have to worry about it shattering into a million pieces if you so much as breathe on it. I know I'd be very p***ed and sad if I broke a limited edition glass statue and, in the end, would just rather it be plastic so that doesn't happen, even if that means making it less "fancy". Also, it IS very pretty looking and very appropriate to GW2.

-

So, in summary, yes, there is reason to worry, but calm the hell down. It's gonna be ok and we got over 8 freaking months left before release.

Well. A new race would be a huge thing worthy of an expansion. They also have never came out and said "not going to happen, ever", along with that the threads requesting tengu matched or even out numbered Mounts, so its certainly a big desired item(id probably swap over to a Tengu main for sure.)

Multiclassing is defo not going to happen i agree, thats a silly thing to request.

Not going to comment on the pre order stuff, already bought it all xD

my issue is, i wasnt hyped before the first look and im less hyped now, and it seems alot of folks are too, thats a fail on their part.

if this wasnt the full reveal anet goofed by making it seem like a big thing, when it wasnt.

None of the stuff they showed was major on the levels of past expansion additions(and alot was just repeated. More masteries, and more mounts, yay.) and they revealed even less than past expansion reveals. Big oof.

But hey, we got fishing...yay..?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

For awhile I've been saying that Guild Wars 2 needs certain things. This isn't about what I want or hope for - it's not a demand - it's an observation about the game being stuck in a strange niche and appearing to always be sort of just hanging on (with a lot of the gaming industry, in my experience, assuming the game went defunct years ago).

No one who isn't already obsessed with Guild Wars 2 is going to find any of this information interesting. If anyone hears about Guild Wars 2 marketing Fishing as a major feature of an expansion, most reactions are probably going to be more like "they didn't already have fishing?" rather than "what a cool feature, I have to try that game out!"

Guild Wars 2 needs big A-list features like new races or classes. Not showing anything like that just vindicates the disinterest the rest of the industry has. If Guild Wars can't have anything big like that, then it's really no one's fault for demanding things, people already aren't interested.

In a general, not Guild Wars-specific way, I see fans blamed nowadays a lot for overhyping things, but there's two layers to that. First is that hype is a two way street. Marketing teams can manage hype a lot more than they like to pretend and they're just as much at fault for encouraging or enabling behavior they have plenty of history to know can backfire. The other is that, in the end, hype only matters so much. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what people wanted or expected a game to have, if it simply doesn't have anything that interests players.

That said, sometimes it does feel like a sect of Guild Wars fans try to go out of their way to make the game look bad to everyone else. I wish Guild Wars 2 could have even more and be even bigger, but there is plenty to like there. I get being let down and wanting to vent that frustration, but trashing its reputation further isn't going to light a fire to make it better, it's just going to prevent it from bouncing back.

Edited by Jokubas.4265
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jokubas.4265 said:

For awhile I've been saying that Guild Wars 2 needs certain things. This isn't about what I want or hope for - it's not a demand - it's an observation about the game being stuck in a strange niche and appearing to always be sort of just hanging on (with a lot of the gaming industry, in my experience, assuming the game went defunct years ago).

No one who isn't already obsessed with Guild Wars 2 is going to find any of this information interesting. If anyone hears about Guild Wars 2 marketing Fishing as a major feature of an expansion, most reactions are probably going to be more like "they didn't already have fishing?" rather than "what a cool feature, I have to try that game out!"

Guild Wars 2 needs big A-list features like new races or classes. Not showing anything like that just vindicates the disinterest the rest of the industry has. If Guild Wars can't have anything big like that, then it's really no one's fault for demanding things, people already aren't interested.

In a general, not Guild Wars-specific way, I see fans blamed nowadays a lot for overhyping things, but there's two layers to that. First is that hype is a two way street. Marketing teams can manage hype a lot more than they like to pretend and they're just as much at fault for encouraging or enabling behavior they have plenty of history to know can backfire. The other is that, in the end, hype only matters so much. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what people wanted or expected a game to have, if it simply doesn't have anything that interests players.

That said, sometimes it does feel like a sect of Guild Wars fans try to go out of their way to make the game look bad to everyone else. I wish Guild Wars 2 could have even more and be even bigger, but there is plenty to like there. I get being let down and wanting to vent that frustration, but trashing its reputation further isn't going to light a fire to make it better, it's just going to prevent it from bouncing back.

A new race is a waste of time. 

Insane amount of work for what? That you look slightly different? 

More races simply don't add enough being worth the workload. 

A new class would have to come with 3 Elite specs out of the box. 

Anet already struggles to balance this game. 

Both things would make the game worse in the long run. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

We get crazy value for the price we pay. 

50 dollars for an MMO with no subscription. 

Totally. People coming crazy for EoD price (30€ once, wow) while other MMOs makes you pay every month or yearly subscriptions.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

-

The only way I could see a new race, would be a brand new continent not involved in the Elder Dragon story.  All previous stories could be done like a visions of the past (kinda) similar to how we become Ryland, you would get the choice of playing the personal story/living world through whichever race combination you wanted (keeping your profession in tact) at least until the cycle is reborn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

I wanted a game marketed as the themepark action mmorpg that is has always been, instead it is being marketed as a sandbox mmo.

Game has never been marketed as a themepark MMO. It's never been this is going to be a linear game. It's a game for explorers to do what you want, and still remains that to this day.  Obviously new zones have plenty to explore in them. There are scavenger hunts and things to discover. But at the end of the day, from day one, Anet advertisted "a living breathing world" which really has nothing to do with a theme park. If you like this thing you do this and if you like that thing you do that. That's how I've always played this game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

we ask for real HM content so raids, fractals, dungeons or at least new elite missions (like urgoz in gw1)

we also ask for pvp which has been abandoned for years

and above all we ask them not to throw a pot of paint on the magnificent shing jea of gw1.

To show some pictures of the maps  that does not spoil, it makes you want to buy the game. In fact as with  pof and hot teasers, lots of players wanted to buy the extensions after seeing the atmosphere of the decor ..

Edited by radda.8920
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Talindra.4958 said:

I hv already paid ultimate version last night. So.. for all of  you who support the game and care for the future of the game and if u can afford if ofc .. pls get the ultimate version.  not the $30.. $30 is not enough to cover for the work for the game

Totally, I'll go right ahead and buy it now, I don't have to eat for a few months right? And if i stop paying electricity now, they'll turn it off in a month or two and then when i pay them what I owe them, they'll turn it back on just in time for the expansion. 🙄

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Confused 3

Let's recap the so-called selling points:

HoT:

• A new profession (Revenant)
  • Elite specs
  • The introduction of Masteries
  • Gliding (and cool stuff like updrafts)

PoF:

• Mounts
  • Elite specs
  • Bounties
  • Ascended collections

They have barely told us anything about EoD yet, so yes, it's premature to b**** about "the lack of real selling points." Just wait and save your judgement for when we have all the information?

23 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

New race? Not gonna happen.

It's more likely to happen than housing. A variety of races to choose from has been part of GW2 from the start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Let's recap the so-called selling points:

HoT:

• A new profession (Revenant)
  • Elite specs
  • The introduction of Masteries
  • Gliding (and cool stuff like updrafts)

PoF:

• Mounts
  • Elite specs
  • Bounties
  • Ascended collections

They have barely told us anything about EoD yet, so yes, it's premature to b**** about "the lack of real selling points." Just wait and save your judgement for when we have all the information?

It's more likely to happen than housing. A variety of races to choose from has been part of GW2 from the start.

They shouldnt have started selling it then, and actually waited for a true reveal before throwing it out on their store.

im fairly sure that what they showed is all the major stuff they have. Maybe ill be surprised, maybe not, until then though, as someone above said, not holding my breath.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Talindra.4958 said:

I hv already paid ultimate version last night. So.. for all of  you who support the game and care for the future of the game and if u can afford if ofc .. pls get the ultimate version.  not the $30.. $30 is not enough to cover for the work for the game

Technically you are paying a little "less" than $30 for the base game with ultimate due to the "deal" on the gems. Just saying. I bought ultimate too but thats because I havent bought gems for like a year and thought meh might as well stock some for the next key sale or whatever. Each to their own, a deal is a deal.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, radda.8920 said:

we ask for real HM content so raids, fractals, dungeons or at least new elite missions (like urgoz in gw1)

we also ask for pvp which has been abandoned for years

and above all we ask them not to throw a pot of paint on the magnificent shing jea of gw1.

To show some pictures of the maps  that does not spoil, it makes you want to buy the game. In fact as with  pof and hot teasers, lots of players wanted to buy the extensions after seeing the atmosphere of the decor ..

I don't know who we is but I didn't ask for any of those things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Totally, I'll go right ahead and buy it now, I don't have to eat for a few months right? And if i stop paying electricity now, they'll turn it off in a month or two and then when i pay them what I owe them, they'll turn it back on just in time for the expansion. 🙄

i don't think arena net wants anyone to go hunger and get into trouble selling their game to you .. its if you can afford that is plus to support the game. 🙂

1 hour ago, Talindra.4958 said:

i don't think arena net wants anyone to go hunger and get into trouble selling their game to you .. its if you can afford that is plus to support the game. 🙂

I know, I was using hyperbole and sarcasm. 😉

Of course, everyone should buy according to their situation. 

9 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

A variety of races to choose from has been part of GW2 from the start.

Yeah, keyword being the "start". The way GW2 races have been so tightly integrated into the game and story means that at this point, it's too late to add another. Not without some MASSIVE content reworking or severely compromising the race compared to the other races. It's not worth it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I don't know who we is but I didn't ask for any of those things.

Yes it's true, I forgot that you would rather fish a carp instead of having access to pve HM content and pvp

it's so motivating to spam F in a puddle

it's an innovative content that gives a lot of adrenaline

8 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Still more interesting than raids.

so sad to read such incomprehensible stuff

raids that allow you to face bosses with innovative mechanics, that allow you to coordinate (play WITH the others players and not beside them ), to adapt your build, to think, to feel adrenaline ... and spamming F is better for you, with that we are not ready to see the game evolve..

I guess you must be a fan of dragon storm  where we spam 1 for 20 min on hp sponges

And besides I did not even speak only of raids, I also spoke about fractals and elite missions of gw1 (which is another format)

Edited by radda.8920