THE LAST PLAYABLE RACE THREAD I'D LIKE TO SEE

8 hours ago, Dante.1763 said:

People said the same about mounts, never forget that.

No, people said the game does not NEED mounts

No, the threads wont stop. If you dont want to read the threads, dont read the threads. 🙂

Then at least maybe curb down on" I expected tengu for eod, I am dissapointed" posts? You were all told that you are setting yourselves up for dissapointment if you expect new playable race and yet here we go.

The tengu requests have been around before the game even was released(So to where mount requests), Further, both mount and the tengu megathread had more views, and responses(Both for and against) than any other threads so far on the forums.

And mounts did not require remodelling of every.single.armor.piece.in.the.game. 

Edit: Other things players thought would never come include: Capes, Dyeable backpacks, and fishing.

Capes: only blocked there was was AN not wanting to risk clipping issues

Dyeable backpacks: it is nice they did find workaround for the technical limitation that caused backpieces not being dyeable, but that technical issue was still nothing compared to sheer amount of remodeling their art department would have need to do to make tengu anything but a drama on how kitten the race is.

Fishing: again, the only counterargument for fishing was "game does not NEED fishing, focus development on sth else plz".

@OP the 1% chance seems to be VERY optimistic.

7 hours ago, Magek.4718 said:

I like how other games like WoW and FFXIV get new races with different body shapes added to the game.

We are talking games here with either less gear variety total and/or systematic race specific gear (as in pretty much no armors that could be used between races) and/or where new race differs in nothing but scale when it comes to adjustment to make armor fit.the effort there to create new race is MUCH smaller than what would be required with gw2 scope.

7 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

No, they would not "have to". Most players would be content with the race having their own cultural armor sets - no need to have any of the existing ones fit the new race.

I can quarantee the outrage if it turns out that none of currently crafted armor pieces/bought outfits is usable on the new race. Believing that it would have been accepted within this community is naive at best. We have been spoiled by alt friendlyness, and that alt friendlyness is exact reason why GW2 adding a new race is so cost prohibitive endeavour.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

He said “all great MMOs”, not “decent CORPGs”.

Sure and since Guild Wars 2 is a great MMO and it doesn't, he's wrong about that too. My point is the game that this game came from originally never added any races, leading me to conclude it's not in the devs plan.

Just now, Vayne.8563 said:

Sure and since Guild Wars 2 is a great MMO and it doesn't, he's wrong about that too. My point is the game that this game came from originally never added any races, leading me to conclude it's not in the devs plan.

How do you conclude that a game that added new races won’t introduce even more new races?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Mortifera.6138 said:

Hello? It added new races as playable in the franchise. Not that difficult to comprehend. 😂

Sure it's not difficult to comprehend.  Doesn't change what I've said. Guild Wars 1 launched with 1 race and still only has one race. Guild Wars 2 lauched with five races and nine years later has the same five races. Devs have said it's not worth adding a race, but you know, you guys can keep hoping. I wouldn't put any money on it if I were you.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Sure it's not difficult to comprehend.  Doesn't change what I've said. Guild Wars 1 launched with 1 race and still only has one race. Guild Wars 2 lauched with five races and nine years later has the same five races. Devs have said it's not worth adding a race, but you know, you guys can keep hoping. I wouldn't put any money on it if I were you.

I’m not delusional enough to think that they *will* add new races, I’m responding to you reply to a comment that they *should*. All great MMOs do it. Saying, “Well, GW2 is a great MMO and it doesn’t” is playing stupid to get out of admitting you’re wrong.

• Confused 3

There's no need for a new race as much as there's no need for new raids, new fractals, new dungeons, housing and whatever other things people want. Yet you still see people complaining about all of them every day. I'm not one of the people complaining or posting threads about it, but I do admit I'd like to see a new race. Other MMOs do it and everyone likes it. But no, for Guild Wars 2 it's "stop complaining, I don't want a new race".

People are allowed to voice their opinion. Also most of the people wanting a new race at least are friendlier than the toxic people just screaming "NEW RACE BAD, ARENANET GIVE ME MORE ELITIST MODES INSTEAD, IF YOU DON'T YOU'RE BAD, ARENANET"

Sure, let's stop the new race threads, but in exchange let's also stop the other threads when people complain about wanting other stuff. I'm totally in for it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

People are allowed to voice their opinion. Also most of the people wanting a new race at least are friendlier than the toxic people just screaming "NEW RACE BAD, ARENANET GIVE ME MORE ELITIST MODES INSTEAD, IF YOU DON'T YOU'RE BAD, ARENANET"

I want new challenging content, I want anet takes a look on pvp and wvw, and I want some new races too. 

Im shocked how some people brings so much toxicity when others talked about some new features they wanted to see IG, but anyway. 

There's toxic people and friendly ones, just ignore 🙈

1 hour ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

I can quarantee the outrage if it turns out that none of currently crafted armor pieces/bought outfits is usable on the new race. Believing that it would have been accepted within this community is naive at best.

Nope, not naive at all. It's been discussed many times, and a lot of people stated that they would be fine with it. The same with the personal level 1-80 story: no need for one, let us start at level 80.

Anything is better than not having a new race at all.

8 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Some players might indeed be satisfied with that, but i would not go so far as say most would be. And i suspect that even those that think they would be satisfied with half-baked measures would start asking for more eventually.

There would be more - in future content. Apart from the legendary armor sets, I don't see a need to make the existing armor sets fit the Tengu. In fact, armor specifically designed for a race (i.e., cultural) is always a better solution. Just look how awful most armor sets that are non-cultural look on the charr! Or many of the boots on Asura! Yikes!

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

No, people said the game does not NEED mounts

Then at least maybe curb down on" I expected tengu for eod, I am dissapointed" posts? You were all told that you are setting yourselves up for dissapointment if you expect new playable race and yet here we go.

And mounts did not require remodelling of every.single.armor.piece.in.the.game. 

Capes: only blocked there was was AN not wanting to risk clipping issues

Dyeable backpacks: it is nice they did find workaround for the technical limitation that caused backpieces not being dyeable, but that technical issue was still nothing compared to sheer amount of remodeling their art department would have need to do to make tengu anything but a drama on how kitten the race is.

Fishing: again, the only counterargument for fishing was "game does not NEED fishing, focus development on sth else plz".

@OP the 1% chance seems to be VERY optimistic.

We are talking games here with either less gear variety total and/or systematic race specific gear (as in pretty much no armors that could be used between races) and/or where new race differs in nothing but scale when it comes to adjustment to make armor fit.the effort there to create new race is MUCH smaller than what would be required with gw2 scope.

I can quarantee the outrage if it turns out that none of currently crafted armor pieces/bought outfits is usable on the new race. Believing that it would have been accepted within this community is naive at best. We have been spoiled by alt friendlyness, and that alt friendlyness is exact reason why GW2 adding a new race is so cost prohibitive endeavour.

Im not one of the folks who expected tengu. Just responding to a toxicly created thread cause folks arent posting what OP wants to see. I also do think they need to merge the threads.

Also, folks for sure said mounts would never happen, alot.

Anet never said no to mounts, as they havent said no to a new race.

Edited by Dante.1763
  • Like 1

There is no point in making another race because races in GW have no gameplay differences. New race would be just another human reskin that would cause massive amount of work needed to create new armor models.
Everyone plays humans anyway, not worth it for the five people that would play tengu or whatever.

Edited by krz.1327

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Nope, not naive at all. It's been discussed many times, and a lot of people stated that they would be fine with it. The same with the personal level 1-80 story: no need for one, let us start at level 80.

Yeah a number of forum users have said that they would be fine.

Just as a number of forum users said they would be fine with anything that happened that caused major uproar among player base.

Naivety in here is believing that just because "it's been discussed many times, and a lot of people stated" has any meaning when we are talking on the broader scope of the game community. Not to mention that one of primary arguments some of those people raise "it will bring players from other mmo's" get's totally obliterated, because those players would come in, see how botched the "new race" is, and decide that AN can't even do that right and leave.

And while you may believe that there is no need for personal story integration, lack of it would still inflict major headache on how to integrate that into the story, because suddenly we have "commanders" that did not participate in zhaitan campaign at all.

Also did you take into consideration new players when jumping out with idea of starting straight at lvl 80? We already have ALOT of fresh players that buy the game fire up instant level 80 boost and get lost because suddenly they are thrown every single character mechanic at them at once.

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Anything is better than not having a new race at all.

and history of this game has proven again and again that this argument does not simply work. Because every time when AN released "anything" that was supposed to be better than "nothing at all" it turned out to be causing major uproar all over the place.

1 hour ago, Dante.1763 said:

Also, folks for sure said mounts would never happen, alot.

And again, mounts are nowhere near the amount of resources AN would have to pour to make a workable new race. if you tried to compare these two features mounts are nothing in terms of cost. (And as I have mentioned earlier I do not recall anyone saying that mounts are never going to happen, only that game has 0 need and 0 reason to have them)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Yeah a number of forum users have said that they would be fine.

Just as a number of forum users said they would be fine with anything that happened that caused major uproar among player base.

Naivety in here is believing that just because "it's been discussed many times, and a lot of people stated" has any meaning when we are talking on the broader scope of the game community. Not to mention that one of primary arguments some of those people raise "it will bring players from other mmo's" get's totally obliterated, because those players would come in, see how botched the "new race" is, and decide that AN can't even do that right and leave.

And while you may believe that there is no need for personal story integration, lack of it would still inflict major headache on how to integrate that into the story, because suddenly we have "commanders" that did not participate in zhaitan campaign at all.

Also did you take into consideration new players when jumping out with idea of starting straight at lvl 80? We already have ALOT of fresh players that buy the game fire up instant level 80 boost and get lost because suddenly they are thrown every single character mechanic at them at once.

and history of this game has proven again and again that this argument does not simply work. Because every time when AN released "anything" that was supposed to be better than "nothing at all" it turned out to be causing major uproar all over the place.

And again, mounts are nowhere near the amount of resources AN would have to pour to make a workable new race. if you tried to compare these two features mounts are nothing in terms of cost. (And as I have mentioned earlier I do not recall anyone saying that mounts are never going to happen, only that game has 0 need and 0 reason to have them)

I never said they compared. I was using mounts as an example of something folks said wouldnt ever happen and did. That is all. Obviously resources dont compare.

You may not recall, but i sure do. My kitten spent hours going through the mount megathread and tengu megathreads counting each individual response(for unique response only, so to ignore the arguments and folks who often posted and get a feeling for the numbers on both sides of each argument.)

Anet could still do it, and do it so well folks are blown are away as folks like me, who didnt want, or see the need for mounts got blown away by mounts. Was everyone happy? No. You cant please everyone.

Regardless:

Without a statement from anet saying they will never do a new race, and i mean a flat "no". Add Race "X" threads will keep happening, with the same arguments for and against that have been here since before launch and being toxic(not you), and rude(not you) towards folks who create them is not needed or warranted.

2 hours ago, krz.1327 said:

There is no point in making another race because races in GW have no gameplay differences. New race would be just another human reskin that would cause massive amount of work needed to create new armor models.
Everyone plays humans anyway, not worth it for the five people that would play tengu or whatever.

Bro, step back. There is a point. Diversity, player choice, new lore and perspectives through the eyes of another species, more dialog, and more variety in the population in the word. 

Are you like gonna tell me it wouldn't be freaking cool to see players roaming Tyria as different species?

Also like not everyone plays human as you say, there are quite a few guilds I've known that have had healthy populations of a variety of different races and have even been built to house one race type. Plus I don't see just humans roaming about in my daily stroll unless that's what your only choosing to see.

5 minutes ago, Doomfrost.5728 said:

There is a point. Diversity, player choice, new lore and perspectives through the eyes of another species, more dialog, and more variety in the population in the word. 

and every single one of those reasons would have to get gutted, in order to squish the project into size AN would be able to develop at any sane rate.

7 minutes ago, Doomfrost.5728 said:

Are you like gonna tell me it wouldn't be freaking cool to see players roaming Tyria as different species?

frankly? personally not any more cool than seeing players roaming tyria in all the different fashion designs.

Charr, asyra, sylvari, norn, human, tengu, whatever, question is always the same: did that player managed to make the character look good? 😉

And in case of tengu if they were to be realistically implemented into the game, they would not have all that much of ways to make it look good 🤔

On 7/28/2021 at 4:48 PM, Dante.1763 said:

People said the same about mounts, never forget that.

No, the threads wont stop. If you dont want to read the threads, dont read the threads. 🙂

The tengu requests have been around before the game even was released(So to where mount requests), Further, both mount and the tengu megathread had more views, and responses(Both for and against) than any other threads so far on the forums.

Edit: Other things players thought would never come include: Capes, Dyeable backpacks, and fishing.

As a new player, the dye system is fantastic, when I found out I could even dye outfits? Most games want to sell you all the different outfit color combos. I was elated to say the least.

Edited by FanaticDisposition.2830

On 7/28/2021 at 3:14 PM, Magek.4718 said:

I'll just repeat what I said on another thread:

I like how other games like WoW and FFXIV get new races with different body shapes added to the game.

But whenever the topic comes up for GW2, everyone just says "Nope, that's too hard!"

And I will repeat what I said to the last person who said what you said.

There's a difference between WoW and this game. Wow has a sub fee so the developers get a more streamlined and consistent stream of revenue so that they CAN spend the resource sink in creating a playable race. GW2 has always been sub free and will always have less resources to spread around for something as demanding as a new playable race.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/28/2021 at 6:44 PM, WindBlade.8749 said:

ffxiv don't have different voice for your characters, since you litteraly don't have a voice.

Oh god its partly why I cant play the dumpster fire anymore. What kind of game is silent?? I mean really the npcs the players no voice just the echoing track of background noise. Ughh

57 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Oh god its partly why I cant play the dumpster fire anymore. What kind of game is silent?? I mean really the npcs the players no voice just the echoing track of background noise. Ughh

I mute gw2 voices inside stories after completing the personal story. Ecspecially in lws2. Outside yea they are on, depending on the zone. but inside? Mute. Oh, and i go do other things during the talking sections.

The voices arent bad, but theres some that grate on my nerves after hearing it for the past "x" amount of years.

1 hour ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Well, the main characters are voiced now (just not everywhere). It's your character that is silent.

Can we not have Tengu please, I cannot imagine why people would want to be a tengu outside of RP or aesthetic. Lore wise they don't make sense, on top of that LOOK AT CHARR AND ASURAN! You're going to have not only lots of clipping issues but lots of same gender outfits. That's resource that can be put elsewhere...at least let them fix Asurans and Charrs first.

Edited by Veka.8710
  • Sad 1