Thank You for Gen 3 Legendaries

Dear ANet,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for the design of your generation 3 legendary weapons.  I rather dislike the aesthetic, and since they are all the same, I have absolutely no interest in obtaining even one of them, saving me many hours of grinding game modes and content I also have no interest in, that would be required in order to obtain them.

That said, on behalf of the rest of the player community who enjoys such things, I think you've really bungled this.  In fantasy role playing games, what makes an item "legendary" is its uniqueness, in terms of the powers (in most games at least), appearance, animations, and lore that it brings to your game play.  This set utterly lacks any of that uniqueness and as such is simply NOT suitable as legendary gear. As others have said, when I first saw the reveal of these weapons, my immediate reaction was, "It's a black lion skin, and not a very good one for my particular aesthetic tastes."  Very disappointing.  The other obvious reason to avoid having a singular aesthetic is that with unique designs, if a player doesn't like the sword design, they might instead still choose to use the axe.  Your gen 3 weapons provide no such options.

On a related side note, the legendary armory seemed like a really cool feature that would spark my interest in obtaining more legendary gear, but as implemented has actually done the exact opposite.  The whole reason I would be interested is to make it easier to run different builds with different gear requirements; however as implemented your armory forces me to re-select stats and re-equip upgrades any time I swap out the weapon for a different one.  The obvious solution is to use build and gear templates to lock in all of the combinations, but at the prices you charge, that solution is prohibitively expensive.  A single build = 1 build template + 1 gear template, for a total of 800 gems or $10 USD per build.  I'm simply not willing to spend the hundreds of USD on builds it would require for all my toons' builds, so I'll instead stick primarily with ascended gear and limit myself as to the builds I use, according to inventory slots I have free to hold gear, and maybe occasionally make new toons when that's not satisfactory, when character slots are on sale.  Those aren't cheap either but at least I get to create a new persona with different story, lore, and flavor options.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 23

Fully agreed. Though I like the Aurene set, but feels like a step back to go from truly unique weapons to a single set. I think Anet has this misguided idea of Aurene being the peak of story writing and character development, that would explain this "Aurene this, Aurene that" plot we've been through since LWS3. Let's hope "End of Dragons" has some real meaning...

As for the legendary armory, I'm in love with it, though I understand is not fully compatible with players who constantly swap weapons. As a player with niche sets this problem doesn't affect me, but I hope they put some good faith and improve the weapon swap problem instead expecting people to buy their overpriced gear tabs.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Perhaps, you will like one of the other Legendary Weapon Sets forthcoming.

🤷‍♂️

Sets that yet have to be confirmed to exist. I'm with OP on this one except one thing, we don't know yet what the process of aquiring gen3 legys will be, if it is a lot cheaper than gen1 and gen2 it is an alternative for some people. Again not so much for me as I don't think they're all that pretty.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

Sets that yet have to be confirmed to exist. I'm with OP on this one except one thing, we don't know yet what the process of aquiring gen3 legys will be, if it is a lot cheaper than gen1 and gen2 it is an alternative for some people. Again not so much for me as I don't think they're all that pretty.

So I will say, if they actually are significantly easier to get than earlier generations, that's something.  You can always re-skin them with other BL skins or even collectible exotic skins (or whatever) so you can get an aesthetic that you like.  But I find that doubtful., and it's still a loss that the new set doesn't have unique appearances/lore. 

Edited by Bladezephyr.5714
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

While I hope there's more than meets the eye -- would love to see one of the new precursors which they said are based on BABY Aurene -- I'm feeling mildly underwhelmed.  But that's OK since this was the impetus I needed to resume work on Chuka and Champawat.  Therein lies another tale; I used to think C&C was ridiculous but now I want it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

And the next cry thread. You don’t like them? That’s fine, just make a Gen 2 then. No need to spam the forums. 

Totally misses the point.  Players who love legendaries already have the gen1 & gen2 weapons they want.  Expanding into a new region with new lore provided an opportunity to add more interesting lore and weapon choices and Anet botched it. I'm not crying--as a player who regularly pours money into gems, I'm telling the company I do business with my feedback on their latest product.  The only meaningful way to do that is by posting on the forums.  Frankly I wish there were a better way so I wouldn't have to put up with such useless, insulting, dismissive comments from people who don't agree.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

And the next cry thread. You don’t like them? That’s fine, just make a Gen 2 then. No need to spam the forums. 

OP can express his take as much as you can.  Forum isn't for "shut it and go away".  Opinion don't have to exclude criticism.  And the OP's opinion is nothing of "crying".  That's perfectly constructive criticism.

I don't get this attitude of "don't like it? walk away" .  Millenials do this alot, and  often as lazy way to shrug off the issue rather than trying to confront it. How are we supposed to improve things when people just quietly go away when things don't go as desired.   Alot of QoL changes we enjoyed nowadays are the results of all those "crying" over years. We got it because people  didnt just walk away and play another game. 

What if someone tell you this. "  You don't like reading criticism? That's fine. Just go to those fawning rosy threads and read those. No need to spam this thread." 

You can disagree with the OP, and welcomed to do, but no one tells anyone what to do/not to do.

Edited by quaniesan.8497
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, quaniesan.8497 said:

OP can express his take as much as you can.  Forum isn't for "shut it and go away". 

Pretty much all of Yoni's posts are negative and/or dismissive, and add no value to the conversation.  I wouldn't have bothered to reply except that it was the first such post in the thread, so my reply serves as a generic response to all the future similar posts from people who have nothing better to do than crap on other people's opinions.  Any discussion invites disagreement, and that's good if it results in constructive discussion.  Comments that basically consist of "your idea is crap" just beg for the forums to get a block feature.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

15 minutes ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

Pretty much all of Yoni's posts are negative and/or dismissive, and add no value to the conversation.  I wouldn't have bothered to reply except that it was the first such post in the thread, so my reply serves as a generic response to all the future similar posts from people who have nothing better to do than crap on other people's opinions

Isn't that exactly what you're doing here, though?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Isn't that exactly what you're doing here, though?

No, it isn't.  First of all as the author of this topic I've contributed way more than just crapping on one person's post.  Also I didn't crap on any of Yoni's opinions--not one.   What I actually did was call Yoni out for generally being dismissive.  Then, even in that post, I expressed two other constructive ideas:

• It's generally better to ignore useless posts
  • It would be great if the forums had a block function.

I further explained why I didn't simply ignore that specific post.

All Yoni did was literally nothing but dismiss my post, while offering absolutely nothing constructive.  Huge difference.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Well, it is stated 'Sets', and not 'Set'. 

I'm guessing that's not a typo. 

If we are going to be meticulous, the exact phrasing is "sets of gen 3 legendary weapons and precursors". The plural refers to legendaries and precursors. We are getting one set.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Even though we all love MOAR SKINZ ... there is a very reasonable business case for what they did with Gen 3 legendaries. 

To be frank, creating a new theme for EVERY weapon was a big waste of assets. SO what I suspect will happen ... we will get more legendary 'sets' with the same thing. For me, that's more appealing ... because really, want my Juggernaut effects on weapons that aren't a Hammer ... I like my bloodstone effects from Eureka ... but I can only see it when I use a mace. 

Gen3 approach does make alot of sense. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Even though we all love MOAR SKINZ ... there is a very reasonable business case for what they did with Gen 3 legendaries. 

To be frank, creating a new theme for EVERY weapon was a big waste of assets. SO what I suspect will happen ... we will get more legendary 'sets' with the same thing. For me, that's more appealing ... because really, want my Juggernaut effects on weapons that aren't a Hammer ... I like my bloodstone effects from Eureka ... but I can only see it when I use a mace. 

In gen3 approach you might have ended up with neither Juggernaut nor bloodstone effect on any weapon, but instead with having to choose between dreamer or quip effects. On every single legendary weapon you might have crafted.

That's the whole issue here. If from a set of 16 legendaries you'd happen to like only 2-3 skins, the chances of Anet giving you a set you might like in gen3 approach aren't good. If they'd happen to accidentally match your desires, it's fine. But most likely they would not, and then you'd have no skin to pick from at all. To equal the chances of making something you might like from the gen1/2 approach they'd have to make 6-8 whole sets instead of one.

Although you are right on one point - it is indeed way cheaper approach than the old one.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Well you might find that for quite a number of people, each legendary being unique with it’s own appearance and history is not in fact a waste of assets, even if you find sets personally appealing. 

What does feel like an actual waste is designing lore blurbs associated with the armory for each item, only to then make the next generation of weapons entirely the same thing.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

No spam the forums="everything fine with new weapons"-feedback for ANet.  

And that surely isn't the message I want them to perceive.

Edited by Raizel.1839
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly, that design is way too feminine for me. Since we already have some masculine leggy designs already, I won't complain.

Reading people bashing the designs here and reddit, not cool man. Can't recall who designed it but it's an examplary job from a designer's perspective. Bravo.  

Personal wish, I hope Aurene dies in this expansion or somehow goes away permanently, so maybe I can get my good old pastel guild wars back. Kinda had enough of playing cute barbie glittery candy weebs thing online. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1