Is there a smooth story transition from IBS to EOD or not?

hugo.4705

Does a transition between icebrood saga finale and End of Dragon expansion is planned?

Since IBS, finale, nothing apart an abrupt end, without any sense, logic or lore respect. Sure, LS replay achievements, boss rush, festivals, wvw event... but those aren't the matter: how the player will be brought to Cantha?

My question is simple, will there be a prologue in End Of Dragons? Is there a story step before the launch of End of Dragons? Is the transition only the taimi-gorrik talks that appears from time to time in EOTN?

It feels more than odd passing from thaumanova fallout bis near frostgorge sound to cantha, in the extreme south, in a glimpse. A letter? Somebody appearing? I still regret how useless are all the mysterious travellers around shiverpeaks.

Nonody manifested since IBS champions chapter 4.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I believe that the taimi gorik scenes build up to something. 

We are looking for something in our past with the scrying pool.. some kind of story element we have seen but which kind of left aside. Like 'mother' maybe.. or another sibling of Aurene aside from Vlast. 

The End of Dragon story will start there.. in EotN with those 2. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I believe they hinted at something to bridge the gap later in the year

That hint seems to be the Return to Living World and Taimi dialogues, as all indication goes.

I think they'd have included it in their roadmap by now otherwise.

Sadly, based on the latest dialogue, aside from being a slower drag than the revelation of the Bangar dialogue, it's also dependent on completing non-IBS content, and on top of that... seems to only be hinting at Mai Trin's/Ankka's involvement? As I rather doubt that Taimi can figure that Yoon (or someone else) is researching Elder Dragons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Sadly, based on the latest dialogue, aside from being a slower drag than the revelation of the Bangar dialogue, it's also dependent on completing non-IBS content, and on top of that... seems to only be hinting at Mai Trin's/Ankka's involvement? As I rather doubt that Taimi can figure that Yoon (or someone else) is researching Elder Dragons.

Well, before the LS recap dialogue there was a little conversation with Taimi/Gorrik concerning what happened after Dragonstorm, and it seems the next chapter under Side Stories is another dialogue achievement "End Conjecture" which apparently can be done after completing the "Return to Dragonstorm".. so possibly that dialogue will post some news on where the ley-line magic drifted southwards after Primordus and Jormag ended each other.

Edited by Dondarrion.2748
got the name of achievement wrong :)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

That hint seems to be the Return to Living World and Taimi dialogues, as all indication goes.

I think they'd have included it in their roadmap by now otherwise.

You could be right, although I feel like they mentioned something in the stream as well saying they would reveal more info about it later. 

I guess we will see. Im not expecting a map or anything like that, but perhaps a small instance like the start of PoF had with Kiel

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Fun fact: "South" is never said with where the magic went. Just "elsewhere".

People presume south because EoD and Cantha. But given how ArenaNet is with their logic, that might not be so.

...but isn't it also because of the large visible stream of magic flowing southward after the Dragonstorm event?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rhywolver.8250 said:

...but isn't it also because of the large visible stream of magic flowing southward after the Dragonstorm event?

Yes. In fact, if you map it out on the world map, it goes straight south into Cantha, and very close the site of the Harvest Temple in Cantha, which features prominently in EoD art.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rhywolver.8250 said:

That's why I said south, how the map is orientated on the world map and the stream that passes up into the air then drifts above your head and at least starts going south there. Where it stops, I don't know.

• Like 1

the previous xpacs, and their respectives introducing LS seasons we had the main antagonist announced. like we talk about mordy along LS2, or balthazar LS3 c5 c6.

even worse we dont have our traditional "vision", like we have of balthazar killing kralkatorrik.

would be really weird just jump in Cantha. unless theyre really trying testing some sort of "new narrative".

• Thanks 2

On 8/6/2021 at 1:31 PM, Rhywolver.8250 said:

I don't recall ever seeing this "stream of magic" in-game, and I've done the Dragonstorm event over two dozen times. Unless you're talking about the ley-line barrier?

Guess I'll try to pay more attention next time.

13 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

I don't recall ever seeing this "stream of magic" in-game, and I've done the Dragonstorm event over two dozen times. Unless you're talking about the ley-line barrier?

Just watch the crater after watching Jormag spitting in Primordus mouth. Hundreds of little bubbles will start floating upwards, eventually travelling south.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

It flows down south, you can see it when you look up where you stand when Aurene pulls you back. Read it on Reddit a while ago and didn't spot it the first time I did Dragonstorm again, but when you look up you'll see it.

Might go southward to the temple of harvest as mentioned, but it's also passing Farahnur for example if it's exactly that straigjht south.

There probably will be some kind of prologue in EoD, since HoT and PoF both had one in a core map. There's no official word on why we're heading to Cantha, and I'm kind of wondering what they're going to do to the world map to accommodate Cantha on it, or a new map similar to how it was handled in GW1. For official lore, stay tuned. I am glad to read all these theories and hints that people find, since I almost never see it myself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rognik.2579 said:

There probably will be some kind of prologue in EoD, since HoT and PoF both had one in a core map. There's no official word on why we're heading to Cantha, and I'm kind of wondering what they're going to do to the world map to accommodate Cantha on it, or a new map similar to how it was handled in GW1. For official lore, stay tuned. I am glad to read all these theories and hints that people find, since I almost never see it myself.

Anet has said in the past that they have an internal rule that all the maps have to fit on the map parchment we currently have. This is why there has been no LW/Expansion map set entirely in the Mists or w/e, as that would require another map being made for the PvE/LW/Expansion side of things. I doubt they are going to chance what would be, at the point EoD releases, a rather consistent rule for the last 9+ years of the game's history.

This is also why I am skeptical on people saying that "after EoD we can go to new lands!" Anet can't make the map much larger without running into the problem of it being too large that its cumbersome, and there is so much empty space on the current map they could spend the next like 5-6 years after EoD doing maps in Tyria, Elona, Cantha, etc.

We go talk to the Scrying Pool, then we boot up Gw1 and play through Factions again.

Then we relog back into Gw2 and our character says.. hey that place looks nice lets go visit.

And that's how IBS transitions into EoD 😄 

Edited by Teratus.2859

4 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Anet has said in the past that they have an internal rule that all the maps have to fit on the map parchment we currently have. This is why there has been no LW/Expansion map set entirely in the Mists or w/e, as that would require another map being made for the PvE/LW/Expansion side of things. I doubt they are going to chance what would be, at the point EoD releases, a rather consistent rule for the last 9+ years of the game's history.

This is also why I am skeptical on people saying that "after EoD we can go to new lands!" Anet can't make the map much larger without running into the problem of it being too large that its cumbersome, and there is so much empty space on the current map they could spend the next like 5-6 years after EoD doing maps in Tyria, Elona, Cantha, etc.

Cantha's quite some distance away and there will be a full screens' worth of pure blue if they don't change it. The rule comes from Season 4 and was in response to questions about maps in the Mists. From a dev who's no longer at ArenaNet (alas).

I'm rather doubtful that they'll have a full, solid map that includes Cantha. They'll either do a border setup to remove all that ocean on the world map, or give us a new world map entirely, similar to what we get when going into PvP/WvW already. Otherwise, they'd have to let us zoom out more which means creating more API tiles for the entire game because otherwise, going from Cantha to Tyria/Elona would be a huge click-and-drag hassle.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Cantha's quite some distance away and there will be a full screens' worth of pure blue if they don't change it. The rule comes from Season 4 and was in response to questions about maps in the Mists. From a dev who's no longer at ArenaNet (alas).

I'm rather doubtful that they'll have a full, solid map that includes Cantha. They'll either do a border setup to remove all that ocean on the world map, or give us a new world map entirely, similar to what we get when going into PvP/WvW already. Otherwise, they'd have to let us zoom out more which means creating more API tiles for the entire game because otherwise, going from Cantha to Tyria/Elona would be a huge click-and-drag hassle.

Cantha is a lot closer to Elona then you seem to think it is.

As is, the map lets us see from Istan, all the way to the southern shores of Orr, when fully zoomed out. At this same level of zoom, and starting from where the map ends now, we would actually get pretty far into Kaineng city with just one zoom As seen in the pic below

https://i.imgur.com/pMjGscX.png

There wouldn't be a full screen's worth of blue at all.

Even if the EoD map only goes as far south as the Cantha map did in GW1, it wouldn't even be two full zoom screens from where the map ends now to the southern limit of the EoD map. It would be one full zoom, and slightly more then one half of another full zoom.