Veteran PvP community in GW2 is truly pathetic — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home PVP

Veteran PvP community in GW2 is truly pathetic

LCL.6259LCL.6259 Member ✭✭

I don't dip much time into GW2, but I always liked to PvP more than anything. I'm a huge casual but I'm still decent at the game and try to get better when I'm actually playing it (which isn't very often). I'm not super skilled but I can hit plat rather easily by q'ing metabattle builds and tweaking them a bit. I think its every time I place plat this game starts to just completely 180 on me from fun to garbage.

Playing only 2 weeks I already know way more drama than I wish I did, have seen Anet partnered players act in ways that really baffle me, played with permanent dishonored players trolling on their alts, etc.

I think it's really kitten sad that Anet has let this stuff slide for so long, and even still allows these players buy links in their twitch accounts. I've never played a game where the veteran pvp community was so incredibly toxic and cultish to outsiders, and where the publisher seemed to genuinely condone it. Anet will ban people for saying mean words on the forum - but when the high-level PvP players that they use to advertise their dead game treat the community like trash; they just throw their hands up and pretend they can't do anything about it.

There's no bigger reason PvP is dead right now than this. Who would want to step into this environment? I don't even have to call names because this community is so cultish that if you PvP enough you already know the people I'm talking about. This includes a certain recent meltdown that I'm sure you're all aware of. That person is so delusional they're probably creaming just at the thought of being mentioned.

I couldn't imagine having the desire to learn this game when the "top players" behave this way. I've genuinely never seen anything like this before, and yes I'm aware of how tense competition can become; I'm sorry though because that just isn't an excuse for this kitten. Where is all of this arrogance coming from? Because the truth is this game has NEVER had true competition. Being top 50 out of maybe 600 real players isn't special.

<1

Comments

  • Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Tell you who step in this environment;

    • People who can ignore the fact that most of the competitive ranked environment is meaningless given all the manipulation and poor sport going.
    • Same for ATs, there is little team or organized players. It's always a quick pug and at the top you have the people who always hang out together.
    • Those whom really love the gameplay.
    • Players that can persevere and explore all their options against the so called non existing meta currently.
    • Take a passion for dueling rather than going into a game and calling it a day.
    • (This is my favorite.) Master all the aspects of their profession in a non NPC fueled environment.

    I'm a mechanical player, I love having an uniform environment with options that are equally given to all players but in different approaches. I come from games that have options given as a playstyle rather than being given 10 different variants. GW2 fills all my needs in that regard, even if I don't play PvE a lot. I find myself pretty satisfied anytime I do step out of the sPvP FFA to do some PvE because I was rewarded with the content for it.

    Willing to help with anything Revenant related.

  • aelska.4609aelska.4609 Member ✭✭✭

    @Jekkt.6045 said:
    hey man, celestial meta was one of the best metas ever where using skills with brain and counting dodges actually made a difference. they only ruined that with the stupid pre hot patch.

    Agree, it was by far the best we had and I really wish game could reach back a similar state. But i still remember how cele amulet insanely boosted any class able to self-stack might and how long it remained that way without "slight adjustments" (they just totally obliterated it few years later, anets way 🤷‍♂️). Still nowhere near unhealthy as today's stade of the game 😁

  • Dantheman.3589Dantheman.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @KryTiKaL.3125 said:

    @LCL.6259 said:
    I don't dip much time into GW2, but I always liked to PvP more than anything. I'm a huge casual but I'm still decent at the game and try to get better when I'm actually playing it (which isn't very often). I'm not super skilled but I can hit plat rather easily by q'ing metabattle builds and tweaking them a bit. I think its every time I place plat this game starts to just completely 180 on me from fun to garbage.

    Playing only 2 weeks I already know way more drama than I wish I did, have seen Anet partnered players act in ways that really baffle me, played with permanent dishonored players trolling on their alts, etc.

    I think it's really kitten sad that Anet has let this stuff slide for so long, and even still allows these players buy links in their twitch accounts. I've never played a game where the veteran pvp community was so incredibly toxic and cultish to outsiders, and where the publisher seemed to genuinely condone it. Anet will ban people for saying mean words on the forum - but when the high-level PvP players that they use to advertise their dead game treat the community like trash; they just throw their hands up and pretend they can't do anything about it.

    There's no bigger reason PvP is dead right now than this. Who would want to step into this environment? I don't even have to call names because this community is so cultish that if you PvP enough you already know the people I'm talking about. This includes a certain recent meltdown that I'm sure you're all aware of. That person is so delusional they're probably creaming just at the thought of being mentioned.

    I couldn't imagine having the desire to learn this game when the "top players" behave this way. I've genuinely never seen anything like this before, and yes I'm aware of how tense competition can become; I'm sorry though because that just isn't an excuse for this kitten. Where is all of this arrogance coming from? Because the truth is this game has NEVER had true competition. Being top 50 out of maybe 600 real players isn't special.

    MightyTeapots MOTA tournament probably showed quite the disparity between how competitive the NA environment is compared to EU. Team USA, which Naru and Nos are both a part of, got summarily flattened with no wins against Rank 55 Dragons (EU team).

    Its situations like that which really cement why I have been saying that the NA PvP scene is nowhere near the tiniest bit competitive and the leaderboard means nothing, mAT means nothing; because while EU does suffer from some of the same issues as NA, potential wintrading and toxic behavior, it seems to be so much more of a detriment to the competitive environment on NA and how NA's "top" players tend to conduct themselves. In fact wintrading itself seems to be a much more common thing on NA, along with these players simply off hours queuing so they sit in the top spots on NA because they know how shallow the pool of players is.

    To be fair, maybe they aren't doing it on purpose...but it isn't like they have, to my knowledge, made any sort of push to try, as content creators for GW2 (as some of them are streamers and make youtube videos) as well as being more notable members of said PvP community because of their position. Thats why I have to actually give credit to Vallun and Noody for their more recent (more consistent rather in Vallun's case) efforts to try and foster a more positive approach and support structure as GW2 content creators. Especially Noody at this point, considering it wasn't very many months ago where the man was still creating nonsense "drama" with "Exposed [name]" videos. I'm glad he has stopped that and has more recently been highlighting WvW Roamers and videos they post.

    The status quo has needed to change for a while but both ANet and the NA community don't seem to want to do anything about it. There is just this odd acceptance and it has hurt the competitiveness that NA could achieve by blunting any opportunity for it to grow.

    Yeah noody just stopped kitten clashing with ppl after someone release a video on YouTube about all his sexual innuendo on discord. This is worth noting

  • KryTiKaL.3125KryTiKaL.3125 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @KryTiKaL.3125 said:
    Its situations like that which really cement why I have been saying that the NA PvP scene is nowhere near the tiniest bit competitive and the leaderboard means nothing, mAT means nothing; because while EU does suffer from some of the same issues as NA, potential wintrading and toxic behavior, it seems to be so much more of a detriment to the competitive environment on NA and how NA's "top" players tend to conduct themselves.

    While I agree with some of what you said there is nothing "potential" about Sindrener's toxicity and past match manipulation. Both were very well documented.
    You can make whatever comparisons you like between the cultures, but he plays on EU and is no less a representative of toxic behavior than Grimjack is.... probably moreso after the whole "match manipulation is wrong unless it's me getting a chak egg sac" fiasco.

    In fact wintrading itself seems to be a much more common thing on NA, along with these players simply off hours queuing so they sit in the top spots on NA because they know how shallow the pool of players is.

    What funny about this complaint about off hours queuing is that Wooden Potatoes described doing exactly this to maintain a winrate on many streams when he was no-lifing PvP.
    You know... a British guy...playing on EU.
    To me there isn't a kitten thing wrong with off hours queuing but to hold NA up as accountable when the biggest streamer for the game (at the time) was very casually explaining this less than a year ago is pretty hypocritical don't you think?

    Thats why I have to actually give credit to Vallun and Noody for their more recent (more consistent rather in Vallun's case) efforts to try and foster a more positive approach and support structure as GW2 content creators. Especially Noody at this point, considering it wasn't very many months ago where the man was still creating nonsense "drama" with "Exposed [name]" videos. I'm glad he has stopped that and has more recently been highlighting WvW Roamers and videos they post.

    Vallun deserves a lot of credit, I wholeheartedly agree, but with Noody there is a not so fine line between "Exposing" Fastcar for the memes (which is in fact entertaining) and "Exposing" Shorts in a personal dispute (which is not).
    I miss Noody's Exposing Trash Talkers videos. I thought they were great content.

    This whole "The Toxicity comes mainly from NA" is mainly a meme and more a function of the various language barriers on EU where the trash talkers aren't even relatively sure the audience for their toxic drivel even speaks the same language. Unlike NA where it's much more certain that the person on the other end speaks English.

    I didn't say, or imply, that the toxicity comes mainly from NA. I also didn't say, or imply, that EU does not suffer from similar issues in any of those instances. I did say that NA seems to be affected by it more so than EU does, not that it isn't there but that it seems to have a more profound effect on the whole of the environment, and potentially directly the population of PvP. At least more so than it affects EU population, and the EU competitive environment.

    because while EU does suffer from some of the same issues as NA, potential wintrading and toxic behavior, it seems to be so much more of a detriment to the competitive environment on NA and how NA's "top" players tend to conduct themselves.

    As for offhours queuing, no it is not an inherently "bad" thing, mostly seeing as its just how the system works and that is entirely on ANet because it has so much of an impact on the leaderboard. It lends to players "playing" the matchmaking as opposed to actually playing the games themselves and it seems to, quite visibly, affect the leaderboards. I know plenty of streamers, youtubers and other top players have done it. In fact I think that WP doing it himself highlights the issue more than it showing that it should be "bannable" or whatever people desire it to be. I'm well aware that its not inherently bad, I just think that it tends to ruin the competitive environment because ANet decided to make a PvP leaderboard that highlights individual players in a game mode that is predominantly 5v5, or team based, as opposed to highlighting teams. Which is the nuttiest, weirdest, most nonsense approach to a leaderboard for a team based competitive mode.

    At the end of the day its mostly on ANet to try and mend this situation, mostly because it is one born from their pretty hands off approach to PvP. Both in sPvP and WvW. They have made several questionable decisions and updates to it and practically none of it has helped the situation. Matchmaking prefers to shorten queue times rather than make sure players get fair matches, ATs are just a time gated Ranked that practically the same 3 teams actually participate in at the "top level", the leaderboard gets gamed because of the shallow pool of players that NA has which has lead to it mattering very little as a basis for anything. That is the most fundamentally broken thing right now, not even just class balance (that is another beast entirely). You can even see where it all started to fall off. ESL pulled its GW2 section practically immediately after they realized ANet wasn't going to get rid of solo/duo queue only Ranked.

    Below will be my comments pertaining to Noody; spoilering them because they are off topic.

    In regards to Noody, I'm sure people enjoy the memes and such that were in those "Exposed" videos. I get that they were all in good fun, in a sense, but truthfully as someone in his position as one of the few fairly widely recognized content creators for GW2 it was not helping foster a positive community. It only served to provide a haven and a justification for those who truly behaved in a toxic manner and he did not provide a good example for the rest of the community. This is especially true when it came to the situation with Shorts. It very clearly snowballed out of control and resulted in a video made to "expose" someone over a personal dispute the two had. Which is not okay, and it very clearly is not an okay thing to do even "for the memes" if it is going to spiral into something like that.

    When you create a channel, or a series of videos in this case, whose sole purpose is to "meme" with "meme" toxicity it isn't exactly shocking when it eventually goes too far. I think, and this is just my own opinion based on absolutely nothing but my own conjecture, but I think that maybe Noody recognized that and decided to switch gears. Which is a good thing. He is still able to make good content for his channel without needing to turn it into him being the "keemstar" of GW2. That is perpetuating a cycle that need not be perpetuated. As it is right now he is showing support for his fellow GW2 players in his own way and thats a big positive.

  • NorthernRedStar.3054NorthernRedStar.3054 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I'm a huge casual but I'm still decent at the game

    Something don' add up here.

  • @KryTiKaL.3125 said:
    To be fair, maybe they aren't doing it on purpose...but it isn't like they have, to my knowledge, made any sort of push to try, as content creators for GW2 (as some of them are streamers and make youtube videos) as well as being more notable members of said PvP community because of their position.

    Without naming names, yes. This exactly.

    On NA, Content creators and influencers have gotten away with minimal punishments for being caught fixing high-level tournaments and entire Ranked seasons in their favor.
    People have been permabanned for similar and even less-serious offenses, but if you're "Gw2 famous" you apparently get off with a 3-month suspension + keeping some of the titles they earned unfairly.
    There's even cases of people bragging about getting away with having their accounts boosted to rank 1 here on the forums(which i'm pretty sure is still there)
    Kinda unfair. They permabanned 5 dozen people for doing the exact same thing on EU, so why didn't that person get permabanned too? 🤔

    I think a lot of guilty top players(as in have already been suspended before, and aren't just suspected of being guilty) should be retroactively permabanned. These aren't the type of offenses you just slap someone on the wrist and say "don't do that again" to.

    Entire Ranked seasons and hours of people's effort have been wasted because of their actions. Not to mention how it looks for the game when the best players are match fixing and wintrading. It's a real bad look, and partly as a result, they've pretty much drained nearly the entire mid-upper mid tiers of players. There's not much incentive to get good at something when the only competition waiting for you at the end is a bunch of cheating and metagaming.

    Remove or Split DuoQ, revolution of our time! 😷

  • Buran.3796Buran.3796 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @LCL.6259 said:

    There's no bigger reason PvP is dead right now than this. Who would want to step into this environment?

    Main reason of the state of PvP is ANet: even at the time of the ESL support and the Pro Tournaments with high prizes in cash involved they support for the game mode in terms of balance, bug fixing, feature adding and introduction of new content moved always at glacial pace.

    One balance patch every three months (at best), maps which remains in unranked for years, bugs which last for seasons, constant reduction in the amount of amulets, runes and sigils available due inability to properly balance and segregate the skills in each game mode, and above all the lack of a structured frame of how to take advantage of the interest from PvP in the way in a lot of other games do... You see MOBAS and Battle Royale games being weekley/monthly updated and monetizing through selling skins with great success, whereas ANet never had faith in PvP. The updating was minimal and the creation of exclusive content to the game mode to appeal new players was never done, maybe because behind the scenes they planed to release a different competitive game as a whole (which is was the case never surfaced, anyway), or maybe because they din't cared because PvE was supposed to be the main drive in the game... But the thing is that even PvE has his own crisis, for the same reasons: the support pace isn't enough to keep the players busy and buying things in the gem store.

  • ParanoidKami.2867ParanoidKami.2867 Member ✭✭✭

    What? Just turn off chat when a PvP game starts and there's no drama of any kind. You can talk to your team when you have set people and it's not just randoms in ranked. Play tournaments :)

  • Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2020

    @hotte in space.2158 said:
    90% of all Gw2 players are friendly
    the rest I met in PvP :)

    In any real sports in real world, you will barely hear a real champion saying, that he hates bad players, that he insults other players or that he tries to make other players ridiculous. Some champions, some streamers and plenty of players in Gw2 PvP seem to see this different.
    When they loose a match, or sometimes even when they dont, these people behave like 3 year old little children when someone has destroyed their sandcake

    apples and oranges.
    If you insult me here and now all I can do is report you.
    If you insult me in real life I can beat your kitten into a pulp.
    What are you more scared off? spending night in a hospital or getting 1 warning point on the forum? Its how it is in almost any game, its part of gaming at this point.

    EDIT.
    in b4 I get 1 warning point for this post, insert palpatine " ironic " meme
    EDIT 2
    5907 bruh, no bannerino, this post is not threatening anyone or anything chill

  • Megametzler.5729Megametzler.5729 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Just add a thumbs up system. Nothing fancy, just after the game, an option to thank someone for helping players, being optimistic, saying "good luck" and "gg wp". No rewards, just a counter or maybe a "Nice person" title after 10k thumbs ups.

    Give an actual incentive to be positive, however tiny it may be. This does not require any ongoing dev awareness, low effort... just do something.

  • Tayga.3192Tayga.3192 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Megametzler.5729 said:
    This does not require any ongoing dev awareness, low effort... just do something.

    titlefarming :o

  • NICENIKESHOE.7128NICENIKESHOE.7128 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2020

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @hotte in space.2158 said:
    90% of all Gw2 players are friendly
    the rest I met in PvP :)

    In any real sports in real world, you will barely hear a real champion saying, that he hates bad players, that he insults other players or that he tries to make other players ridiculous. Some champions, some streamers and plenty of players in Gw2 PvP seem to see this different.
    When they loose a match, or sometimes even when they dont, these people behave like 3 year old little children when someone has destroyed their sandcake

    EDIT.
    in b4 I get 1 warning point for this post, insert palpatine " ironic " meme
    EDIT 2
    5907 bruh, no bannerino, this post is not threatening anyone or anything chill

    You ALMOST made me click on the report button with the edits ;)

    Though how some people who cheated the first mAT title in July 2018 is still allowed in Masters of Arena 2020 is beyond me.
    In real sports people would've lost their entire career.
    The lack of regulation into simple wrist slaps means I can never really see ESport/higher tier games as a thing in GW2.

    [RED] Crimson Sunspears...your small family guild since 2015.

  • Buran.3796Buran.3796 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @JTGuevara.9018 said:

    That is freaking BS.

    This community was DRINKING that e-sports cool-aid back then, I'm a WITNESS to that. ANet just looked the other way.

    ANet promised legendary armors, just to end releasing better looking outfits and armor pieces at the gem store. Look at how Brazil reacted to the issue. They also promised alliance servers, circa two years ago, and see where still we are now. They promised a stronger balance patching support after the huge revamp of February, but the actualizations so far keep coming at the same pace as always. Most of the time their PR was over-promising and under-delivering, until they reached a point in which they just don't talk anymore.

    PvP players and scene isnt' much different from what you can find in other games, aside from the smaller size of the community. And if you think that the PvPers are toxic, try to see what happens in a pug raid or fractal fater failling a encounter a couple of times. Even in open world PvE you find hostility when you kill a boss too early because players were farming events, and something like that... They will just spite on you whitout caring to explain "what you did wrong". And that despite you don't compete for resources in this game: guess what would happen if GW2 worked under the "last hit which kills gets the loot" mechanic so common in other MMOs.

  • Lighter.5631Lighter.5631 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @hotte in space.2158 said:
    90% of all Gw2 players are friendly
    the rest I met in PvP :)

    In any real sports in real world, you will barely hear a real champion saying, that he hates bad players, that he insults other players or that he tries to make other players ridiculous. Some champions, some streamers and plenty of players in Gw2 PvP seem to see this different.
    When they loose a match, or sometimes even when they dont, these people behave like 3 year old little children when someone has destroyed their sandcake

    EDIT.
    in b4 I get 1 warning point for this post, insert palpatine " ironic " meme
    EDIT 2
    5907 bruh, no bannerino, this post is not threatening anyone or anything chill

    You ALMOST made me click on the report button with the edits ;)

    Though how some people who cheated the first mAT title in July 2018 is still allowed in Masters of Arena 2020 is beyond me.
    In real sports people would've lost their entire career.
    The lack of regulation into simple wrist slaps means I can never really see ESport/higher tier games as a thing in GW2.

    i think anet did ban them tho, as if i remember correctly, naru's current main account is not his but from another player.
    tho i do agree with lack regulation as im still allowed to comment here even tho i just made a thread completely trash talking all the devs lol

  • PLS.4095PLS.4095 Member ✭✭✭

    @Shao.7236 said:
    Tell you who step in this environment;

    • People who can ignore the fact that most of the competitive ranked environment is meaningless given all the manipulation and poor sport going.
    • Same for ATs, there is little team or organized players. It's always a quick pug and at the top you have the people who always hang out together.
    • Those whom really love the gameplay.
    • Players that can persevere and explore all their options against the so called non existing meta currently.
    • Take a passion for dueling rather than going into a game and calling it a day.
    • (This is my favorite.) Master all the aspects of their profession in a non NPC fueled environment.

    I'm a mechanical player, I love having an uniform environment with options that are equally given to all players but in different approaches. I come from games that have options given as a playstyle rather than being given 10 different variants. GW2 fills all my needs in that regard, even if I don't play PvE a lot. I find myself pretty satisfied anytime I do step out of the sPvP FFA to do some PvE because I was rewarded with the content for it.

    Yep, toxic cuz gw2 pvp mod is toxic designed.

  • KryTiKaL.3125KryTiKaL.3125 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @aelska.4609 said:
    Veteran gw2 PvP people have seen horrible things. They have fought celestial meta. They have seen traits tree getting destroyed. They have fought HoT bunker meta with fights long enough that only ecstazy could save them from falling asleep. They have fought PvP seasons with queue times sometimes exceeding 1 hour. They have fought with no-LoS one shot builds. They have seen the 'winning ennemies dancing on your corpses animation' getting introduced. They have fought against wintraders. They have fought alongside people understanding the game barely enough to whisper you "fIgHT oN NOdE" before blocking you. They have fought in a total new meta where CCs were so abundant they could just watch their character die. They have fought in a new meta where any noob having a pet as profession utility or a lich as elite could just auto-attack you to death.

    These people are in love of the game, but the game is not sending their love back. The game was cruel and gave them just enough attention to bring them hope.
    You can only feel compassion for these people, toxicity is the least impactful byproduct of being a gw2 PvP veteran.

    A moment of silence for our fellow PvP veterans. May PvE raid bosses finally bring them the peace they all deserve.

    Just to make a comment on this, I'm in the same boat as those players. I'm one of them. I've been playing GW2 since it launched, been PvPing over that length of time as well. I've fought through all of that nonsense, watched it all go on. I understand the frustrations people get, I've even spoken on behalf of those frustrations to try and reason with the more casual audience on this game as to why the veteran players might react more hostile to newer or more casual players; primarily they are just fed up with it and I get that.

    However...that isn't an excuse to excuse toxicity. Especially the kind of degree that it gets to on GW2. If they want to direct their criticisms and frustrations anywhere, especially in the case of any of the GW2 content creators that behave that way, if their reasons are as you are describing, then they can use their platform to maybe actually affect something. Maybe it will be good, maybe it will be bad, but ANet is most at fault for this environment, for their hands off measures, for their horrendously questionable updates and changes, and their apparent lack of desire to actually affect meaningful change on PvP. At this point I wouldn't be surprised that even though they have an actual PvP team now they are more than likely bottom rung in the company in regards to any sort of development priority or authority.

    Point being, players need to direct their frustration in a meaningful way, but also maybe not let it make them vitriolic or toxic when doing so. That is not helpful.

  • Flumek.9043Flumek.9043 Member ✭✭✭

    @LCL.6259 said:
    I don't dip much time into GW2, but I always liked to PvP more than anything. I'm a huge casual but I'm still decent at the game and try to get better when I'm actually playing it (which isn't very often). I'm not super skilled but I can hit plat rather easily by q'ing metabattle builds and tweaking them a bit. I think its every time I place plat this game starts to just completely 180 on me from fun to garbage.

    Playing only 2 weeks I already know way more drama than I wish I did, have seen Anet partnered players act in ways that really baffle me, played with permanent dishonored players trolling on their alts, etc.

    I think it's really kitten sad that Anet has let this stuff slide for so long, and even still allows these players buy links in their twitch accounts. I've never played a game where the veteran pvp community was so incredibly toxic and cultish to outsiders, and where the publisher seemed to genuinely condone it. Anet will ban people for saying mean words on the forum - but when the high-level PvP players that they use to advertise their dead game treat the community like trash; they just throw their hands up and pretend they can't do anything about it.

    There's no bigger reason PvP is dead right now than this. Who would want to step into this environment? I don't even have to call names because this community is so cultish that if you PvP enough you already know the people I'm talking about. This includes a certain recent meltdown that I'm sure you're all aware of. That person is so delusional they're probably creaming just at the thought of being mentioned.

    I couldn't imagine having the desire to learn this game when the "top players" behave this way. I've genuinely never seen anything like this before, and yes I'm aware of how tense competition can become; I'm sorry though because that just isn't an excuse for this kitten. Where is all of this arrogance coming from? Because the truth is this game has NEVER had true competition. Being top 50 out of maybe 600 real players isn't special.

    gw is the most casual and friendly pvp game that exists.

    If you cant handle gw then stay away from the internet.

  • Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Jekkt.6045 said:

    @Flumek.9043 said:

    @LCL.6259 said:
    I don't dip much time into GW2, but I always liked to PvP more than anything. I'm a huge casual but I'm still decent at the game and try to get better when I'm actually playing it (which isn't very often). I'm not super skilled but I can hit plat rather easily by q'ing metabattle builds and tweaking them a bit. I think its every time I place plat this game starts to just completely 180 on me from fun to garbage.

    Playing only 2 weeks I already know way more drama than I wish I did, have seen Anet partnered players act in ways that really baffle me, played with permanent dishonored players trolling on their alts, etc.

    I think it's really kitten sad that Anet has let this stuff slide for so long, and even still allows these players buy links in their twitch accounts. I've never played a game where the veteran pvp community was so incredibly toxic and cultish to outsiders, and where the publisher seemed to genuinely condone it. Anet will ban people for saying mean words on the forum - but when the high-level PvP players that they use to advertise their dead game treat the community like trash; they just throw their hands up and pretend they can't do anything about it.

    There's no bigger reason PvP is dead right now than this. Who would want to step into this environment? I don't even have to call names because this community is so cultish that if you PvP enough you already know the people I'm talking about. This includes a certain recent meltdown that I'm sure you're all aware of. That person is so delusional they're probably creaming just at the thought of being mentioned.

    I couldn't imagine having the desire to learn this game when the "top players" behave this way. I've genuinely never seen anything like this before, and yes I'm aware of how tense competition can become; I'm sorry though because that just isn't an excuse for this kitten. Where is all of this arrogance coming from? Because the truth is this game has NEVER had true competition. Being top 50 out of maybe 600 real players isn't special.

    gw is the most casual and friendly pvp game that exists.

    If you cant handle gw then stay away from the internet.

    i'm getting way more death threats in this game compared to heroes of the storm, i wouldn't exactly call it friendly...

    me and my friends got 2week ban in hots, for being reported. Yes the report system used to be so kitten that you got auto baned if you got reported X amount of times.
    whats toxic, insulting people in chat ( they can mute you ) or reporting others in a bug system knowing full well they will get banned even if they did nothing wrong.
    Personally I got wronged by hots system and its players way more then gw2, 2 sides of the story.

  • Jekkt.6045Jekkt.6045 Member ✭✭✭

    @Leonidrex.5649 said:

    @Jekkt.6045 said:

    @Flumek.9043 said:

    @LCL.6259 said:
    I don't dip much time into GW2, but I always liked to PvP more than anything. I'm a huge casual but I'm still decent at the game and try to get better when I'm actually playing it (which isn't very often). I'm not super skilled but I can hit plat rather easily by q'ing metabattle builds and tweaking them a bit. I think its every time I place plat this game starts to just completely 180 on me from fun to garbage.

    Playing only 2 weeks I already know way more drama than I wish I did, have seen Anet partnered players act in ways that really baffle me, played with permanent dishonored players trolling on their alts, etc.

    I think it's really kitten sad that Anet has let this stuff slide for so long, and even still allows these players buy links in their twitch accounts. I've never played a game where the veteran pvp community was so incredibly toxic and cultish to outsiders, and where the publisher seemed to genuinely condone it. Anet will ban people for saying mean words on the forum - but when the high-level PvP players that they use to advertise their dead game treat the community like trash; they just throw their hands up and pretend they can't do anything about it.

    There's no bigger reason PvP is dead right now than this. Who would want to step into this environment? I don't even have to call names because this community is so cultish that if you PvP enough you already know the people I'm talking about. This includes a certain recent meltdown that I'm sure you're all aware of. That person is so delusional they're probably creaming just at the thought of being mentioned.

    I couldn't imagine having the desire to learn this game when the "top players" behave this way. I've genuinely never seen anything like this before, and yes I'm aware of how tense competition can become; I'm sorry though because that just isn't an excuse for this kitten. Where is all of this arrogance coming from? Because the truth is this game has NEVER had true competition. Being top 50 out of maybe 600 real players isn't special.

    gw is the most casual and friendly pvp game that exists.

    If you cant handle gw then stay away from the internet.

    i'm getting way more death threats in this game compared to heroes of the storm, i wouldn't exactly call it friendly...

    me and my friends got 2week ban in hots, for being reported. Yes the report system used to be so kitten that you got auto baned if you got reported X amount of times.
    whats toxic, insulting people in chat ( they can mute you ) or reporting others in a bug system knowing full well they will get banned even if they did nothing wrong.
    Personally I got wronged by hots system and its players way more then gw2, 2 sides of the story.

    yeah same happened to me too. people report you if you give advice during the draft for verbal abuse lol. not even stuff like your hero is bad, but just, i think hero x fits really well in our comp. but look at it this way, at least reports do something in that game :P

  • Zagerus.8675Zagerus.8675 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2020

    Honestly certain parts of GW2 foster an environment that makes self-control a very fragile concept. PvP does it, high-end PvE does it sometimes. The bad thing is it gets worse and worse the longer you play it in a session. After a long PvP session I am honestly so fixed from the adrenaline and dopamine rises/crashes caused by tense matches that I could run a marathon and still not get rid of the stress. So typing a few insults to try and make sense of a loss (because obviously it wasn't because of any of OUR mistakes at all) seems trivial. I've been told to kill myself by several people who I know didn't actually mean it as soon as they said it. Most of us aren't in the right state of mind to be empathetic in the heat of the moment. It's something that is consciously trained and there usually aren't a lot of places for us to train self-control in the heat of the moment in our daily lives. That and most people care too much. It's just a video game and doesn't matter that much.

  • pukish.5784pukish.5784 Member ✭✭
    edited June 22, 2020

    This game is full of frustration :astonished:

    Infinite skill gap is the main reason.
    Clueless team mate ruin your game, and mostly frustration comes from your team mate, that's tough experience for every veteran players.
    Even in WvW, I feel bad sometimes.

  • HotDelirium.7984HotDelirium.7984 Member ✭✭✭

    @Shiyo.3578 said:
    GW2 players are not friendly at all, not even in PvE.

    What you MEANT was the GW2 players that YOU have met were unfortunately not friendly. Of course, what you see as unfriendly might be different than what others might perceive those actions or words to be. For me, the majority of people I've met on Guild Wars 2 have been friendly.

  • yLoon.5289yLoon.5289 Member ✭✭

    The title of this forum is totally invalid.
    A Veteran Player doesn't give a kitten about bad playing. Most veteran can already foreseen how a match will end before it even started, and hence expected the result and any other stupidity may arise due to their experience in pvp.
    While I think newcomers community is the one ranting and cursing as they were pawned by Veteran Players in every match.

  • Shiyo.3578Shiyo.3578 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2020

    @HotDelirium.7984 said:

    @Shiyo.3578 said:
    GW2 players are not friendly at all, not even in PvE.

    What you MEANT was the GW2 players that YOU have met were unfortunately not friendly. Of course, what you see as unfriendly might be different than what others might perceive those actions or words to be. For me, the majority of people I've met on Guild Wars 2 have been friendly.

    Nah, it's a fact. Step into any strike raid or fractal and watch the chaos.
    Saying you never seen mean people while only doing open world isn't relevant.

  • @yLoon.5289 said:
    The title of this forum is totally invalid.

    The title of this forum lol =) you dont even know what you write.
    The title of this thread is a rarely outspoken truth !

    A Veteran Player doesn't give a kitten about bad playing.

    I dont watch the streams of certain top-tier players anymore because of their salty trash talking about other players they consider to be bad.

    Most veteran can already foreseen how a match will end before it even started,

    These "uhh I am the best and I know everything" individuals are the worst.
    An experianced veteran can have a feeling for good or bad team comps of course but still nobody knows how a match will end.

    While I think newcomers community is the one ranting and cursing as they were pawned by Veteran Players in every match.

    Your only point I agree with you. There are also toxic newcomers of course. The difference is that it doesnt affect me when some unimportant noobs are spreading
    their toxic salt. When well known top-tiers are insulting other players its just a dishonourable lack of dignity and it hurts people who considered them once as their PvP heroes. Veterans insult other veterans as well. How poor !

  • HotDelirium.7984HotDelirium.7984 Member ✭✭✭

    @Shiyo.3578 said:

    @HotDelirium.7984 said:

    @Shiyo.3578 said:
    GW2 players are not friendly at all, not even in PvE.

    What you MEANT was the GW2 players that YOU have met were unfortunately not friendly. Of course, what you see as unfriendly might be different than what others might perceive those actions or words to be. For me, the majority of people I've met on Guild Wars 2 have been friendly.

    Nah, it's a fact. Step into any strike raid or fractal and watch the chaos.
    Saying you never seen mean people while only doing open world isn't relevant.

    Eh, when did I say open world? Clearly, if you are having a hard time understanding my two-sentence post that does shed some light on your interpretation skills. I HAVE played strikes, PVP and PVE. While there was an uptick in negativity in strikes and PVP it wasn't that much more than PVE.

  • Trevor Boyer.6524Trevor Boyer.6524 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @JTGuevara.9018 said:

    @yLoon.5289 said:
    The title of this forum is totally invalid.
    A Veteran Player doesn't give a kitten about bad playing. Most veteran can already foreseen how a match will end before it even started, and hence expected the result and any other stupidity may arise due to their experience in pvp.
    While I think newcomers community is the one ranting and cursing as they were pawned by Veteran Players in every match.

    That's still not an excuse to quit the match.

    Eh that depends.

    Sometimes it's painfully obvious that you're being caught in the middle of a win trade and on the wrong side of the match, or sometimes that your team is completely incapable of performing mechanically at all vs. the opponents they were given. When you're down 120 to 20 after the initial split and you have a Rifle Berserker arguing with a Chronomancer about why someone didn't attempt a revive when 4 opponent Holos were cleaving on the team mate's head, you know it's probably a good safe time to AFK and go get a warm up for your coffee.

  • Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Its pretty simple. Games trash, has been for a while now. Its frustrating and tilting to play so players take it out on each other, who else they gonna take it out on. A lot of players have invested yrs of play and even tho it's just a game and is having such a effect on them they still find it hard to move on. Honestly the devs for this game shoulda be released and blacklisted yrs ago.

  • Bazsi.2734Bazsi.2734 Member ✭✭✭

    @Jekkt.6045 said:
    hey man, celestial meta was one of the best metas ever where using skills with brain and counting dodges actually made a difference. they only ruined that with the stupid pre hot patch.

    How can I delete someone elses post? You just gave me flashbacks to 4 d/d ele+1 thief mirrors fighting each other. You deserve punishment!

  • Kickpuncher.8109Kickpuncher.8109 Member ✭✭✭

    @LCL.6259 said:
    I don't dip much time into GW2, but I always liked to PvP more than anything. I'm a huge casual but I'm still decent at the game and try to get better when I'm actually playing it (which isn't very often). I'm not super skilled but I can hit plat rather easily by q'ing metabattle builds and tweaking them a bit. I think its every time I place plat this game starts to just completely 180 on me from fun to garbage.

    Playing only 2 weeks I already know way more drama than I wish I did, have seen Anet partnered players act in ways that really baffle me, played with permanent dishonored players trolling on their alts, etc.

    I think it's really kitten sad that Anet has let this stuff slide for so long, and even still allows these players buy links in their twitch accounts. I've never played a game where the veteran pvp community was so incredibly toxic and cultish to outsiders, and where the publisher seemed to genuinely condone it. Anet will ban people for saying mean words on the forum - but when the high-level PvP players that they use to advertise their dead game treat the community like trash; they just throw their hands up and pretend they can't do anything about it.

    There's no bigger reason PvP is dead right now than this. Who would want to step into this environment? I don't even have to call names because this community is so cultish that if you PvP enough you already know the people I'm talking about. This includes a certain recent meltdown that I'm sure you're all aware of. That person is so delusional they're probably creaming just at the thought of being mentioned.

    I couldn't imagine having the desire to learn this game when the "top players" behave this way. I've genuinely never seen anything like this before, and yes I'm aware of how tense competition can become; I'm sorry though because that just isn't an excuse for this kitten. Where is all of this arrogance coming from? Because the truth is this game has NEVER had true competition. Being top 50 out of maybe 600 real players isn't special.

    ANET Devs don't respect PVP or the PVP community so you can't expect the PVP community to respect PVP or the community itself. The tone is set from the top.

    ANET doesnt care dude lol, keep complaining on the forums while ppl buy pixels and they make empty promises on 'ZOMG HUGE UPCOMING CHANGES' which just patch the game back in the stone age to 2012 when they tried esports and failed hard.

    Anet doesnt care about PVP, doesn't respect PVP, and doesn't respect you. Hard to hear but it is the truth.