Repair Rework for upcoming expansion Armorsmithing/Weaponsmithing

I searched for a while trying to find some topics on repair, The only things I found was most players are unhappy with the repair mechanic as it sits, I agree from an immersion standpoint. There is an entire gameplay loop that could made out of the repair mechanic, on top of that it used to cost money to repair gear atleast Arenanet had something there now its free and basically nonexistent. Armorsmiths and weaponsmiths should be able to repair equipment (weapons and armor separately if players like that idea) via a trading window (kinda like how wow has it with enchanting with a little box at the bottom to allow repairs without the smith taking the item). Also there isnt even a trading window where you can trade which isnt a huge issue given the mailing system is instant but still something to look at. Just some thoughts I had and wondering how people feel with fleshing out some mechanics that could use some love.

@Farohna.6247 said:I'd settle just for a portable repair anvil that can be plunked down much like banners or food :)

Yes that would make it easy but not fun, You got to think about it from a realistic perspective, a way players can get more involved with there trade and one another, this way of thinking shouldnt just be for just this trade its just the topic I have today but it should be for every trade so they can do something more that feels like they are valued instead of just sitting at a crafting station and hear a sound effect go off you know? anyways not saying that isnt a bad idea by no means just a didnt flavor i guess lol.

Still prefer a portable one, a la engineers from WoW. Would it be handy for a guild doing a raid to have individuals repairing, sure. But the trade window would be inconvenient, for example you die and wp. You quickly repair, run back. No need to pester someone with hey can you repair this or have to seek them out.
Also, if they implemented such a system, then tailors would be able to repair light armor, leatherworkers for medium, and equivalent for weapons....yikes

@aquafire.2718 said:

@Farohna.6247 said:I'd settle just for a portable repair anvil that can be plunked down much like banners or food :)

Yes that would make it easy but not fun, You got to think about it from a realistic perspective, a way players can get more involved with there trade and one another, this way of thinking shouldnt just be for just this trade its just the topic I have today but it should be for every trade so they can do something more that feels like they are valued instead of just sitting at a crafting station and hear a sound effect go off you know? anyways not saying that isnt a bad idea by no means just a didnt flavor i guess lol.

So you want to make it so that, in order to repair damaged equipment, i would need to trade them to my character that has armorsmithing and/or weaponsmithing instead of simply using the anvil, or pay someone else for that? I'm sure you would find it fun to swindle money out of unsespecting beginners. At that point it would be like real life, so immersion would be guaranteed. Would be terrible for gameplay though.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:So, while I wouldn’t be opposed to this being an option For people, I would be quite upset if you removed the anvil or repair canister process. I don’t want to spend time worrying about armor repair.

Also, what if the toon you are playing doesn’t have armor smith or weapon smith..

to answer your question, the smith will offer the service for a fee like real life, simple as that.

@Farohna.6247 said:Still prefer a portable one, a la engineers from WoW. Would it be handy for a guild doing a raid to have individuals repairing, sure. But the trade window would be inconvenient, for example you die and wp. You quickly repair, run back. No need to pester someone with hey can you repair this or have to seek them out.

Also, if they implemented such a system, then tailors would be able to repair light armor, leatherworkers for medium, and equivalent for weapons....yikes

exactly all trades would have a role, its a role playing game. and yes that is exactly the point to create player interaction, im really astonished nobody likes this idea, creating just an anvil for people to just repair items makes a game bland and not creative, Apparently creativity is dead smh

@Yggranya.5201 said:

So you want to make it so that, in order to repair damaged equipment, i would need to trade them to my character that has armorsmithing and/or weaponsmithing instead of simply using the anvil, or pay someone else for that? I'm sure you would find it fun to swindle money out of unsespecting beginners. At that point it would be like real life, so immersion would be guaranteed. Would be terrible for gameplay though.

That had absolutely nothing to do with me, do not put words in my mouth im not trying to swindle anyone, please read better, and no you would not trade it to your character, you would ask a crafter to repair it for you and tip them.

Hey, let's add some similiar ideas. If we need an armorsmith to repair our gear, why not take this further to make the game more realistic and "fun"?To adhere to "realism" and add more player interaction, the following must also be the case:

Healthy state & Cooking

• If you don't eat food cooked by a cook, your character is malnourished, your stats, damage, regen etc. is halved. If you don't eat at all your character simply is defeated. To respawn, another player has to manually carry you to a waypoint. If you don't get saved and forced to eat, your character dies and is deleted permanently.
  • Walking is now the default method of transportation. Running, as well as using mounts, will now cause exhaustion. A exhausted player doesn't regenerate endurance.
  • Cooking food now takes longer, depending on what you're preparing. Mini-games that take up to 8 hours to prepare complicated group dishes are added.
  • Players are now able to have a heart attack. This will lead to instant downed status or defeat. This will sometimes cause character deletion.

Bank & Guild Bank

• A new accountant and a banking profession have been added to the game. You can now only store things in your bank by talking to both a player with the corresponding accountant skill and one with a banking profession. It has to be two separate players.
  • To access a guild bank the guild has to have an accountant with a high skill level and must contact a high-skilled banker.

Combat Training

• New professions are added to the game: Swordfighting-Trainer, Elemental-magic-Trainer etc.
  • If you don't get trained by another player with the corresponding skills, you have a 50% chance to miss. If you hit you deal greatly reduced damage with a chance to hurt yourself when swinging certain weapons and using damaging magical skills.
  • Being a self-trained "XYZ-Trainer" will result in "bad-form". Anyone with "bad-form" has a 20% chance to miss. Anyone trained by a self trained trainer will also have "bad-form".

I could go on, but I think it's obvious what I'm going for. "Realism" and forced player interaction isn't always the best method to make a game fun.

@aquafire.2718 said:

@Farohna.6247 said:Still prefer a portable one, a la engineers from WoW. Would it be handy for a guild doing a raid to have individuals repairing, sure. But the trade window would be inconvenient, for example you die and wp. You quickly repair, run back. No need to pester someone with hey can you repair this or have to seek them out.

exactly all trades would have a role, its a role playing game. and yes that is exactly the point to create player interaction, im really astonished nobody likes this idea, creating just an anvil for people to just repair items makes a game bland and not creative, Apparently creativity is dead smh

So rings/accessories would break as well so jeweler got work?EditWe went from fee at anvil because it felt like a dubble negative waypointing running back and pay to repair equipment.Now you want to go back to that but you also have find a armor, weapon and ofcourse jeweler to repair your gear in the first place.

^As of now, trinkets don't take damage, but who will repair the Backpacks???

Personally, I would find standing around a particular Crafting Station waiting for someone to run up and ask me to repair something somewhat less than engaging.
Not to mention the difficult UI work needed; I would absolutely not hand any armor/weapons over to a stranger. (Also, much armor and weapons are soul- or account-bound.)

Or better yet, remove repairing altogether, but that won't happen because it's integrated into core game mechanics (death) so it's more than likely it's very deep in the code. Why add extra hassles for players to go through instead of enjoying the game? I remember the old days in Fractals where you had to port to LA to repair and then go back inside, making sure at least one person from the party stayed inside, otherwise the instance would close and force you to start from scratch. And now not only that but you want repairs to be done by players?

@maddoctor.2738 said:Or better yet, remove repairing altogether, but that won't happen because it's integrated into core game mechanics (death) so it's more than likely it's very deep in the code. Why add extra hassles for players to go through instead of enjoying the game? I remember the old days in Fractals where you had to port to LA to repair and then go back inside, making sure at least one person from the party stayed inside, otherwise the instance would close and force you to start from scratch. And now not only that but you want repairs to be done by players?

Thumbs up^^^^^^^^Only answer is NO THANK YOU! Leave it alone.

@aquafire.2718 said:I searched for a while trying to find some topics on repair, The only things I found was most players are unhappy with the repair mechanic as it sits, I agree from an immersion standpoint. There is an entire gameplay loop that could made out of the repair mechanic, on top of that it used to cost money to repair gear atleast Arenanet had something there now its free and basically nonexistent. Armorsmiths and weaponsmiths should be able to repair equipment (weapons and armor separately if players like that idea) via a trading window (kinda like how wow has it with enchanting with a little box at the bottom to allow repairs without the smith taking the item). Also there isnt even a trading window where you can trade which isnt a huge issue given the mailing system is instant but still something to look at. Just some thoughts I had and wondering how people feel with fleshing out some mechanics that could use some love.

You've completely misunderstood what people are unhappy about concerning repairs. What people don't like is that (now that it's free) it even exists.(1) The push-back you're getting in this thread is because you are suggesting that ArenaNet spend development resources making it more intricate and annoying, especially for characters who don't have the relevant crafting profession. (No, trading won't work, since your character cannot even carry an item that's Soulbound to another character, even another one of your own.)

(1) I'd love to get rid of it, so long as I can trade my Endless Repair Canister for a Permanent Bank Access Express.

As far as I know there already exist repair kits so that you can "pay" for your repair while out on the field. I don't think it is necessary to add a layer of roleplaying based on secondary professions for things like repair. I mean, raids already have quite some requirement, if you add specific secondary professions on top of them you'll have some people despairing. Imagine how ridiculous it would be to see: "LFG experienced leatherworker bannerslave 500 LI min"?

It's not negativity or dislike of new ideas or immersive experience. GW2 has the "playing alone together" casualness that is part of the charm. While I understand the interest in having more complex specialties to invite player interaction is appealing to some, it can be laborious in many other games. Spamming need x for y gets very boring.
Do away with repairs, sure. Give the people who have instant repair canisters a trade in option? Absolutely. Likely to happen, no since that keeps a bit of gemstore revenue.
I ride around on a beetle that leaves a glitter trail, a raptor that has an aura, and wear leaves. Not overly concerned about realism, just about having fun, and enjoying interaction with people in events where we all fight the big monster together for some loots.

This is ignoring the most important question.

Why are people dying 8 times in a row so frequently that this is even a concern? In order to require 1 repair per hour you would need to die every 7.5 minutes. That is only half way through Kormir's monologue ...

All those deaths are while NOT doing fractals, raids, strikes, PvP, or WvW since they all have either no armor damage, auto repair or repair options along the path players would take anyway when doing that content. That already eliminates all the content where you are most likely to die more frequently.

That leaves open world, maybe dungeons and story instances.

Additionally it would mean doing content where you are mostly solo since https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Noblesse_Oblige exist.