What if Burning and Chill Cancelled One Another?

Svarty.8019

Here's the "What If" scenario...

If you get hit by the Chill condition, any Burning stacks you have get cancelled.If you get hit by Burning, any Chill you have gets cancelled.

I would suggest that notions of this ilk be considered by the developers as a way of mitigating condition spam and promoting more thoughtful play.

It's just an idea.

Lots of buffs seem to have a condition counterpart...slow vs quickness, protection vs vulnerability...should they all just cancel out? Seems like that would really hurt condi builds if there were more ways to remove condis in addition to all the traits, skills and weapon procs that also remove condis.

@Sylvyn.4750 said:Lots of buffs seem to have a condition counterpart...slow vs quickness, protection vs vulnerability...should they all just cancel out? Seems like that would really hurt condi builds if there were more ways to remove condis in addition to all the traits, skills and weapon procs that also remove condis.

It'd change things, but with an expac coming, what better time to make big alterations to the core mechanics? They'll be adding lots of things that do that.

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:probably not something anet are prepared to put time into tbh, I don't think its a good idea because then this just opens the door for every other boon and condi countering each other aswell as potentially making classes worse based on what condi and boons they have access too

A good way to fine-tune classes, then!

@Sylvyn.4750 said:Lots of buffs seem to have a condition counterpart...slow vs quickness, protection vs vulnerability...should they all just cancel out? Seems like that would really hurt condi builds if there were more ways to remove condis in addition to all the traits, skills and weapon procs that also remove condis.

There's already heavy access to condition cleanses making condition builds not that viable, at least in PvP/WvW so... (I do see some people running condi builds in WvW still don't get me wrong, but in those modes Pwr & Boon builds rule)

@Tseison.4659 said:

@"Sylvyn.4750" said:Lots of buffs seem to have a condition counterpart...slow vs quickness, protection vs vulnerability...should they all just cancel out? Seems like that would really hurt condi builds if there were more ways to remove condis in addition to all the traits, skills and weapon procs that also remove condis.

There's already heavy access to condition cleanses making condition builds not that viable, at least in PvP/WvW so... (I do see some people running condi builds in WvW still don't get me wrong, but in those modes Pwr & Boon builds rule)

It's a fine line to run...most of us might gear for power/boons, but still spec out for condi removal "just in case"...a little insurance against the unknown...:) (speaking as a roamer here that can't always count on condi removal from nearby allies)

Divinity Original Sin had something like that. If we put to gw2 terms casting healing rain would put out burning. One the other hand casting an ice spell on someone that is already wet by healing rain would freeze them. Really good single-player RPG, highly recommend. While I really liked the concept there it would be impossible to implement it now to GW2 without completely reworking conditions, boons and many other skill effects.

@"Sylvyn.4750" said:Lots of buffs seem to have a condition counterpart...slow vs quickness, protection vs vulnerability...should they all just cancel out? Seems like that would really hurt condi builds if there were more ways to remove condis in addition to all the traits, skills and weapon procs that also remove condis.

that is boon vs condition not condition vs condition

OP's idea is pretty stupid.

Go search for all the posts complaining about the problems with combos and combo fields. Have you ever seen someone asking "we need to spread this problem to other parts of the game"? That is basically what OP is offering.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

that is boon vs condition not condition vs condition

OP's idea is pretty stupid.

Go search for all the posts complaining about the problems with combos and combo fields. Have you ever seen someone asking "we need to spread this problem to other parts of the game"? That is basically what OP is offering.

Chill and Burn give my Ele boons, so how far would this cancellation go? That's the question...:)

Not sure which mode you're talking about but regardless it's a terrible idea. Most people don't want necromancers already in PVE and roughly half the classes (even full condi scourges) apply burning. Reapers apply chill on greatsword autos. You'd also basically tell all the rangers to drop Frost Trap and any elementalists to not use water attunement.

People already complain about reapers, if a change such as this were implemented you'd basically be trolling if you join any guardian's party on reaper. Negating burning means even non-burn guardians lose Fiery Wrath's 7% bonus and Radiant Power's 10% crit chance bonus (a minor trait I might add).

If you want to nerf burning, go reduce stacks and lengthen durations or put internal cooldowns on the skills and/or traits (such as Permeating Wrath which is likely the culprit for PvP or WvW burn guards , Radiant Fire, King of Fires, or Burning Rage). Originally burning wasn't meant to stack intensity.

A skill such as Sword of Justice could simply be tuned such that Eternal Armory doesn't trigger four times ; vulnerability could be reduced or removed from the skill. Adjusting all burning and chill to negate each other is akin to carpet bombing an entire island when a small radius laser guided missile is more applicable.

@"Svarty.8019" said:Here's the "What If" scenario...

If you get hit by the Chill condition, any Burning stacks you have get cancelled.If you get hit by Burning, any Chill you have gets cancelled.

I would suggest that notions of this ilk be considered by the developers as a way of mitigating condition spam and promoting more thoughtful play.

It's just an idea.

This punishes offensive condition use. In fact, in some builds, a player would cancel their own conditions out (Hello Elementalist, Necro and Ranger)!

However, what if conditions could be applied via friendly fire? Oh you got a case of the burning, let me chill you friend!

How about no?There's absolutely no reason to do it and you can stop pretending you want to "promote more thoughtful play" seeing how you also made a thread about "removing unblockables because nobody uses them on blocks and that level of gameplay doesn't exist " :neutral:

• Confused 1

@"Sobx.1758" said:How about no?There's absolutely no reason to do it and you can stop pretending you want to "promote more thoughtful play" seeing how you also made a thread about "removing unblockables because nobody uses them on blocks and that level of gameplay doesn't exist " :neutral:

Not to pick on you specifically, but ...Is it too much to ask for something constructive from commenters?

@Svarty.8019 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:How about no?There's absolutely no reason to do it and you can stop pretending you want to "promote more thoughtful play" seeing how you also made a thread about "removing unblockables because nobody uses them on blocks and
that level of gameplay doesn't exist
" :neutral:

Not to pick on you specifically, but ...Is it too much to ask for something constructive from commenters?

I don't see how that answer was any less "constructive" than your OP. Did I miss something there?You literally wrote that the gameplay level of people intentionally using unblockable skills against blocks doesn't exist so we should remove unblockable effect, but here you try to pretend conditions cancelling each other is a good way to promote thoughtful gameplay? By what logic?

So it's not too much to ask for that -as soon as you make a valid argument for implementing your idea in the first place. For now -judging by your last threads- you just want to "remove stuff" from the game while using contradictory reasoning in each of them (which was also the point of me bringing up your "unblockable thread", in case you think I'm somehow picking on you specifically).

• Confused 1