Would you trade a character name if someone asked? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Would you trade a character name if someone asked?

Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Firstly I am NOT asking this because I want a name which is taken, and certainly not because I feel entitled to a name someone else got first. It's just an idea I came across a while ago and thought was interesting, and I'd like to know other people's thoughts.

How would you feel, hypothetically, if one day you received a mail or a whisper in-game from someone saying they really like one of your character names and they want to know if you'd be willing to give it to them, or sell it. Would you do it? Would you ask them to pay for the name change contract? Maybe charge extra? Would it depend on the name? Would it depend on who was asking and why/how badly they seemed to want it?

Usually people who want taken names seem to assume they're on inactive accounts and a 'name purge' would free it up. But someone a while ago pointed out that you'd be better off if it was an active player because then they might give it up, whereas you can't even ask and inactive one, and I thought the idea was really interesting.

Although with me the chances are the answer would be no. I spend a lot of time making my permanent characters, before I even get into the character creator. I come up with a whole concept - what they look like, what they'll do, what their personality is etc. and the name is part of that. It's usually a description, although not obviously so, for example my white, black and pale green sylvari is called Bethe Arian which means silver birch. If not then it has another meaning. (The one exception is my asuran guardian Xexxi, that's literally just something that sounded like an asuran name to me, but even then I've had it for 5 years now. I think I'd only change it if the person who beat me to Xixxi wanted to swap.)

Although I usually go through several variants of the name before picking one, and make 'demo' versions of the character so I know many of those variants are/were free (apparently not many people share my taste in names) so I could suggest an alternative.

But then I also have at least 1 character slot reserved for temporary characters - ones I've made for a specific purpose (playing alternate versions of the personal story, trying builds, key farming etc.) and I'm going to delete them after I'm done. In that case I'd let them know when I deleted the character so they could get the name 24 hours later. Unless it was going to be weeks/months, then I might ask if they want to buy me a name change contract so they don't need to wait.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

<13

Comments

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm not enough of a stand up citizen to delete any character (or change my username), even if it would make someone else happy. What I CAN do is help the person make a new username.

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

No, I love my characters' names and they are too important to me.

• Ardenwolfe.8590Ardenwolfe.8590 Member ✭✭✭✭

Nope. (Insert more letters here)

• juhani.5361juhani.5361 Member ✭✭✭

If there was an easy, profitable way, I'd probably do it. Why not? I'm too much of a cheapskate to spend $10 a pop for additional character slots, so I don't get too attached to most of my toons. Heck, I deleted a couple of my two year-old level 80s last month without a pang to give myself room to make new alts.

It's a bit of an adjustment to see a new name on my toons, but nothing major. I'm kind of used to it after using the old cheap server transfer rates in SWTOR to swap toons everywhere.

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018

For the right price, sure, as long as I have a suitably fitting name to use after giving it up. They'd also have to pay for the Name change contract as I wont delete my permanent characters.
    I think only 2 of my character names might be desirable though.

The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

• Ayumi Spender.1082Ayumi Spender.1082 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't have a single character that someone would want the name of. At all.

• StinVec.3621StinVec.3621 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018

Most of my 30 current characters have names I am fond of, and most of those to a degree that I would not even consider release of their names regardless of what was on offer as compensation for them.

However, I do have 6 or 7 characters with names that I am not too attached to, but they're also not likely to be of interest to anyone else.

If anyone did show interest in any of those characters' names, I would consider changing and releasing the name to them if the name change contract purchase cost was paid for up front (I don't think they are able to be gifted, are they?).
    Also, I'd possibly consider requiring some form of compensation of a sort that is equal to or greater than what I could gain had I done something else instead of using my time to perform the change. Whether I were to require compensation or not would be dependent upon several factors.

My Dark GW2 Forum Theme - Imgur Galleries: [ Aqua - Coffee - Lime - Orange - Pink - Purple - Red - Slate - Yellow ]
    [ CSS Code ] - (Updated 2018-10-07: v1.84)

| Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs |

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018

It takes me a lot of effort and thought to come up with a good name i'd feel comfortable with, so i definitely wouldn't release one just because someone else asked me for it. And i don't really know how much would that someone need to offer to me before i'd ever consider agreeing, but it would be definitely way, way more than just a price of a name change contract.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Mikuchan.7261Mikuchan.7261 Member ✭✭✭

The name of my main or the other thematically RPy characters I have, probably not. And nobody would want the names of them anyways.
    For some of the other characters, some people may want the names. And if they offer the right price and include a name change contract, sure.
    For free? Nope.

• Edelweiss.4261Edelweiss.4261 Member ✭✭✭

All of my characters' names are based on colors, so it shouldn't be that difficult to decide on a new one. I'd need a proper incentive, though.

• nottsgman.8206nottsgman.8206 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018

for me, I'd have to go with no. all of my characters have very in depth back stories, and their names are part of who they are. I spend hours creating new characters, sometimes days. if I was going to give a name away I would have to remake the entire character, so name change, makeover and a new story would have to be created.

70 'mains' and waiting for more slots
    | 61 Asura | 6 Charr | 1 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:
    I don't have a single character that someone would want the name of. At all.

I suspect the same is true for me, since I never seem to have trouble finding names which are available. I guess no one else likes the kind of names I do. Although I did once meet another charr whose name was almost identical. Mine was Uncia Snowfur and theirs was something like Uncia Whitefur or Uncia Snowmane. Same meaning, one synonym out.

The only time I have trouble is if I've given it no thought and just try to make up a random name in the character creator, then I usually start with something a bit like a real name and add/remove/change letters until I get one that's not taken.

• nope i sure would not ever no matter what they offered me !! if i got the name you just out of luck and need to really use your mind and come up with a more better one !!

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

My issue is my characters names are part of my characters. Unless I didn't particularly like a characters name (sometimes I really like a name for a while and then as it gets older I like it less) I wouldn't part with it. I love some of my character's names: Nyridae Dawnsong, Shattered Morals, I even have a character I keep parked at the diving goggles in Gendarran called Not So Secret Agent. I can't really see selling or trading any of my character names, because I'm pretty attached to them.

• Vash.2386Vash.2386 Member ✭✭✭

Sure but it depends on how much they would pay me to do it.

• Depends. On my main account most of my char names are the same as Guild Wars 1 char names. I’ve had them for years and it’s not likely I’ll take any amount to change. On my alt account maybe. I’m not as attached and I’d be willing to consider an offer.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• Embered.5089Embered.5089 Member ✭✭✭

Mm... well. Definitely not for my main or my main-alt for at least until she repays the “sin” out of her name (Sinmiri) =P
    But hey if you’re willing to pay 10,000g + name contract change for Tasted of Brew, then sure! I may even be willing to sell Wisped of Willow!
    And of course if you had your eye on a name of someone that I’d already deleted, before I deleted them, and offered me any sum of money to free it up before I could explain that they were goners anyway, then I’d happily accept your money! Lol.

But really though, i find that buying names is reserved only for the toxic communities. Wrote about it somewhere in the old forums.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

None of my characters have names that would be popular as source material. No uppity-edgy drow, childhood nostalgia, Rule 34s, etcetera.
    So.. no, I wouldn't be selling my names to someone else.

Though, my alt account is a slightly different story, since it's full of joke names and has gotten the occasional whispered compliment. :P Still wouldn't sell it, though.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• Dreamy Lu.3865Dreamy Lu.3865 Member ✭✭✭

No. Each of the names I use has a story behind and the corresponding char has been created according to it (appearance, character...). I would never give away my names to someone else, whatever the earning would be. I am attached to those names, that are for most of them the ones I was using in GW1 already.

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭

No, cause my characters are named towards my gw1 characters, and those i would not trade...

• DeadTreeJig.6714DeadTreeJig.6714 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018

No, I spend time coming up with their names. They are always related to the character in some way (race, profession).

When a man lies he murders some part of the world – Paul Gerhardt
    Just so we’re clear, I’m a solo player – Kirito
    Live, Laugh, Love Kill Forged Awakened Joko Kralkatorrik – DedTreeJig

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would gladly trade if the player asking is truly committed and their reasons are solid enough. Aside from basic needs, I always try to not keep to myself something that other will enjoy more than me.

• Sure, I don't care. I would not delete a character but I would get a name change contract.

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

No. I spent a lot of time carefully crafting all of my characters, including their names, and I'm far too attached to them now.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

• I might consider it for enough loot.
    Probably would not trade my main's name. Or my charr alt, Mayhem Slashtooth, just because I really like the name. Buy f someone wanted one of my other alts, I would have no problem renaming them. Not that I consider it likely anyone would want them enough to pay.

• Most of my character names are not for sale, never, and no sum high enough would make me change my mind. I have a few mule characters, though, and if someone wants their names, no problem, if the price is right.

Find the secret message: +++++++[>++++[>+>+++>++++>++++<<<<-]<-]>>>-.>-------.+++.+.------------.>++.<<<++++.>>++++++.>.<--..>++.-.<<<+.

• Ceridwen.6703Ceridwen.6703 Member ✭✭✭

I wouldn't sell my Cheeze Toastie, Brew Teakettle or Furzia Furpants names. Any of my other chars are up for alteration, if the other party wanted to supply the name change contract - though I don't think anyone would really want the other names (Arrff, Ooffi, Oofti, Tim the Second, Meirionydd or Kailyanna). They're not all that.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Steve R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

• Malediktus.9250Malediktus.9250 Member ✭✭✭✭

Everything a matter of how much gold. The name of my main would cost at least 20k gold.

First person to reach 35,000 and 36,000 AP.
    killproof.me/proof/kEyr

• DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭

For most of my 31 characters, no. There are a few that seemed good at creation time that I'd like to change.

On my alternate accounts, some of those I could be convinced to part with, for the right price.

ANET would have to provide a means for it to happen, though, unless I as the seller have full control. In other words, the buyer sends the gold for the name change contract + sell price, and I do the name change at the agreed upon time. Then it's up to the buyer to get that name once it comes available. There's a window of uncertainty there that I'd not want to be responsible for.

X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

• STIHL.2489STIHL.2489 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018

I'd be rather shocked, to be honest.. but I have changed my characters names already a few times.. so.. one more time would not hurt.

But I' still expect them to pay for the contract..and 500 gold.

The 500 gold.. because I would want to see just how badly they want the name and what it's worth to them to come up with their own.

There are two kinds of Gamers, Salty, and Extra Salty.
    Ego is the Anesthesia that dullens the pain of Stupidity.

• Is there anyone who would really turn down 10 million in gold for their toon's name? Is there anyone who would change the name for less than the price of a mere name change contract? So now, we're mostly just negotiating the exact price each of us would accept.

I'd have to agree with @STIHL.2489: I'd be interested in finding out just how much someone was willing to offer.

"With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

An interesting question. I would have to say not for any price when it comes to my heavily (or even lightly) RP'd alts. Their names are part of continuity for me and my friends, so I'd have to have some IC reason they were changing. I do have some alts that have no history even in head canon, so if someone wanted to give me, say, a permanent hair stylist for one of their names I could likely be persuaded.

Though I'm in the same boat as others in this thread: My names are almost all original to me, created to sound right in the lore and to suit the character (the only one that isn't original is Andret, my sylvari warrior, and I got his name from an Arthurian name generator. I'd be very surprised if someone else wanted any of them for the sake of the name itself, since they aren't noticeably puns or pop culture references or meta commentary, just plausible names for the setting which are super easy to come up with. It seems that anyone who likes the kind of names I like is going to be of a mindset to want to create their own names anyway.

• Ayumi Spender.1082Ayumi Spender.1082 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    Is there anyone who would really turn down 10 million in gold for their toon's name? Is there anyone who would change the name for less than the price of a mere name change contract? So now, we're mostly just negotiating the exact price each of us would accept.

I'd have to agree with @STIHL.2489: I'd be interested in finding out just how much someone was willing to offer.

The name of my Thief and Necro yeah I would turn down 10 million in gold to give my char name away.

BUT I do want to do a quick check. Who would want any of these lame names that my chars have?

Ayuuji Shokora
    Aria Hodo
    Ayumiko Spender
    Ayumi A Spender
    Thanatologist Anjja
    Illusionist Middna

Like seriously. No one would want these names. There's reasons why I've never had a "This name was taken" situation.

• Taelac.7036Taelac.7036 Member ✭✭✭

Is there anyone who would really turn down 10 million in gold for their toon's name?

If they wanted the one named for my grandmother, I'd turn it down.

Other character names would depend on the offer, but most would require something beyond the cost of the contract to tempt me. I'd be more likely to counter with an offer to help them create a suitable name for their own character, as a hobbyist onomast with a collection of interesting name resources.

Good luck, have fun.

• Ameepa.6793Ameepa.6793 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018

Is there anyone who would really turn down 10 million in gold for their toon's name? Is there anyone who would change the name for less than the price of a mere name change contract? So now, we're mostly just negotiating the exact price each of us would accept.

If that was 10 million of real moneys, then yeah I would do it.. but 10 million gold? Never.

• @Ameepa.6793 said:

If that was 10 million of real moneys, then yeah.. but 10 million gold? Never.

Then we're still just negotiating over price.

"With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

• Ameepa.6793Ameepa.6793 Member ✭✭✭

@Ameepa.6793 said:

If that was 10 million of real moneys, then yeah.. but 10 million gold? Never.

Then we're still just negotiating over price.

Obviously

• Taelac.7036Taelac.7036 Member ✭✭✭

@Ameepa.6793 said:

If that was 10 million of real moneys, then yeah I would do it.. but 10 million gold? Never.

Now that would make me willing to trade the one named for my grandmother, but only because Nana was a gambler who always dreamed of hitting a big jackpot, and she'd haunt me if I turned it down.

Good luck, have fun.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would. My main characters name is one I've been using in pretty much every Western RPG for over 15 years now and I don't think there's anything anyone could realistically offer that would make me give it up. (Note that I said realistically, for 10 million pounds I'd seriously consider it, but I'm pretty sure that's against the TOS and also never, ever going to happen.)

Other than that...yeah ok maybe if someone offered me millions of gold for my engineers name even though I've had it ever since GW1 and I'm possibly more attached to it than my own real name (not saying much since I changed half my real name a few years back just because that's what people do...and the new one is easier for other people to spell) I'd consider their offer. Although I'd want them to pay up before I changed it because it's pretty unlikely anyone would be that desperate to get the name Ilex Hedera.

But it would have to be a seriously tempting offer to make me even consider it with most of my character names.

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

The value for the exchange NEEDS to cover the name change contract. However, it also can't surpass the total of the contract plus a character slot. Why not? Because then someone will began to buy slots and name characters as a way to make profit. And that would really be bad for everyone.

So I'm willing to sold my characters name for:

• 1 name change contract.
    • The value of a character slot in gold minus 5%
    • A very, very, very convincing explanation of the need for the name.
<13
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.