just a friendly poll about learning curve

czerwoni.9563

This is very subjective. So I'll give my opinion.

Overall? I'd say engineer. However if we account for elite specializations this gets a bit blurrier. At the top end of difficult to learn and use properly I'd say weaver, scourge and soulbeast are difficult to learn properly. Nothing else is that difficult in my opinion when just looking at elite specs. You could say engineer's elite specs are but I'd disagree. That's just engineer.

It’s always gonna be tied between Mesmer and Elementalist. Mesmer is much easier atm to get into and be successful with, however to truly make magic happen you need a thorough understanding of the game’s mechanics and how other classes play. With elemntalist it’s far less forgiving, regardless of level of play, you’re required to perform over 9000 APM to even do dmg. Complexity wise I went with Ele, though again, to really play it on next level, they’re tied imho.

@czerwoni.9563 said:just a poll, please play nice no attacking each other, mods please let it happen im just curious but if it gets out of hand delete it.

ok so in YOUR OPINION which class has a high learning curve.

I would say its a har choice between ele and theif both are very squishy and can be 1-2 hit killed by alot of things even in pve. Even in group events it can become hard to see with all the visual effects going on making it even harder to know when you need to move or not.In a honorable 3rd place i would say engi.

Hopefully some people are not getting learning curve confused with confused with effective player skill.

Necro gets my vote. Not because he's the hardest out there, but because he's vastly misunderstood and deserves some votes.Everyone is about "necro is so easy!"

What "easy" means is forgiving. That in no way relates to actual depth of a profession. Bearbow ranger is also easy. That does not make the ranger a shallow class or an easy one to master.

Necro is not about managing shitton of clones or swapping weapon kits/attunements. Playing him seems easy. But once you get down to making a build, you'll understand just how deep that rabbit hole goes. And it goes real deep.

Because of great balance of traitlines (save underperformer death magic), and having numerous aspects of gameplay (such as healing, defense, condi, power, cc) spread across many different lines, skills and weapons, the necro can be build in really various ways, unlike to what his theme (no flashy kits, attumenents or super speedy gameplay) would suggest. Also in combat you really gotta be on top of your defense. With just 2 dodges and everything else being literally "position well, interrupt it or eat it!" necro needs to learn his enemies real well if he wants to get past a brick wall of skilled opponents that aren't intimidated by your first everyday shade or larger healthpool then them.

At a beginner level, playing ele can be a nightmare for surviving while killing stuff when outnumbered. Some basic yet efficient rotations are easy to learn and execute but the possible skill combinations offer much more situational potential than your usual fixed rotation. At high level of play though, that complexity is much less rewarding than thief or mesmer which are also hard to master but easier to get on board with. If I were to figure something, I'd say ele has a logarithmic curve while thief and mesmer have an exponential curve. Other profs tend to have a linear learning curve, some steeper than others.

Engineer is extremely frustrating given it's low damage output with pistols and rifles. Kits don't make it easier as they also have a high difficulty to master with decent damage. The flamethrower was a good beginner kit until it was damage nerfed into the ground. And turrets are far too squishy now to use as a hold your ground mechanic which is all they were good for in the beginning.

Revenant is a close second as having strict builds with inflexible skills means you either like the layout or hate it.

Obviously Mesmer because when it comes down to it, other classes mentioned like Ele and Engi may have to go through a bunch of skills but neither have a support build where a solid rotation is required in order to be optimal. Also, the Mesmer has to learn more mechanics such as tanking, focus pulls, CCs, as while as doing mechanics for other party members in the form of area distortion...This in addition to a fairly complex Pchrono rotation and a not so easy but not so hard Mirage rotation I think Mesmer takes the cake.

Anet really needs a "vote for no more than X" pole because there are a couple of classes that you need to be really good at otherwise it looks like trash, and there are some that are you'll be mediocre unless you're very good then you're really going to show it. For example: Ele and Mesmer both you can be average and people will think you're ok/decent at it, but if you have someone that's mastered it you definitely know it and it's a high skill cap ceiling to get there. Then you have professions like Engi and Rev that you're going to look trash on it until you get up to the good/master level on it, and then you're definitely a force to be reckoned with. To me Rev is the hardest to get into because you have to start thinking energy management which I haven't had to even pay attention to since GW1, but the highest skill ceiling to me is Ele purely because of the massive ammounts of buttons you have to press if you were to go through your entire rotation. All attunements can take around a minute to get through if you cast everything, let alone if you're a master of the ele and know the CD of skills that you can't even see right now because you're not on that attunement. For example on a staff ele you might in a zerg fight in wvw start air and use a static field to separate out those that don't have stability, then you might switch to fire to hit those that you've caught in it and then right away switch to water to start your heals rotation, then you might go into earth to throw up the earth 4/5 skills, then you might go back to air because you're air 5 is off CD, and then you go back into water to do more heals. It's a rotation that doesn't always have any certain order. Also yes I know there's not a terribly large call for water fields nowadays with minstrel firebrands.

All this coming from a warrior.

@"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:Anet really needs a "vote for no more than X" pole

All this coming from a warrior.so cap all votes at 25 and then eventually all classes will be at 100%? wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a poll? or are you talking about general total voters? cause that would cause the entire sample size to be just a minority if we have only 100 votes allowed that is 100 that speaks for the thousands of players still unfair.

its really just an opinion and i am seeing what people think.

@czerwoni.9563 said:

@"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:Anet really needs a "vote for no more than X" pole

All this coming from a warrior.so cap all votes at 25 and then eventually all classes will be at 100%? wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a poll? or are you talking about general total voters? cause that would cause the entire sample size to be just a minority if we have only 100 votes allowed that is 100 that speaks for the thousands of players still unfair.

its really just an opinion and i am seeing what people think.

No it was just a though, and the person running the pole could pick if it's vote for just 1 or vote for 2, etc. Not saying you'd do it on this one, but there would be poles that it could be handy on. I just thought that with this topic and there being a few really tough decisions on votes that it could be a candidate for something like that.

Archived