[Private Poll] Do you enjoy Super Adventure Box? Why?

Super Adventure Box is a colorful, 3-D 8-bit now-festival featuring exploration, collecting/scavenging, and jumping. It is frequently considered to be a "giant Jumping Puzzle" or "Jumping Puzzle festival".

Do you enjoy this content? Why or why not?

EDIT: I should have added "indifferent" to the list of options. If that is the case, you can just choose the third option. Sorry about that.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't enjoy SAB.

I was a kid when 8bit game were a thing back in the days, Nintendo, Sega etc...If there are multiple games in front of me to choose for a limited time, Mario, Contra, Street fighter, Double dragon, Tetris, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star...
I will pick Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star first, then comes Double dragon, Contra, Street fighter next, i may play a little Tetris if i have time. Mario? what is the fun of jumping around.... i never get it.

Why not?Because it was a fun idea that looks horrible in reality.It was an attempt to look 8-bit with 8-bit music.The result is some kind of regurgitated chipmunk music, with graphics that make my eyes bawl out.

Would’ve been fine if that atrocity was contained within that cube, but alas, it has afflicted gliders, and I fear it will afflict the mounts as well..

My main character ele. Had around 1k death before tribulations mode was introduced. A week after trib mode, her death count was over 11k .. think that proves how nutty I enjoy sab :)I hv never complain about sab while many others were bashing up Josh in forum here about trib mode and etc. Those who enjoyed it remain quiet and busy getting bashed happily in the game .. :p.

I enjoy SAB.

Reason is it is fun for me. I also like jumping puzzles so it was a good fit for me. Here are my main likes:

• I like that it is a fun lighthearted adventure with simple combat mechanics that you can play solo or with some friends.
  • I enjoy the humor poking fun at old game development (like how moto is the model for the characters in it).
  • I like the artistic style that they went with, its an interesting interpretation of 8 bit graphics in a newer 3d graphical engine.
  • Heck, I even enjoyed the optional pain of learning tribulation mode (Only done W1, maybe I'll try and learn W2 this year).

When world 2 first came out I disliked it as the instant death traps and long winding levels removed a lot of the laid back gameplay that made world 1 so much fun to goof around in with a friend. The tweaks & shortcuts that they made improved it, but the original release really put off me and my friends. To me what made it a blast was it is basically a casual fun dungeon. Laughing with friends over somebody slipping and falling to their doom rather than stressing out because somebody died in a dungeon and made you wipe. Heck, if I want to play a hard retro game that none of my friends would be willing to play I can just fire up battletoads!:P

Anyways, that's my reasoning.

For me it's totally waste of resources, that can be used for something else (Living World S1, faster Living World Episodes?). And all these crazy weapons, miniatures - it's just not fitting to the game's world and immersion breaking. If I would like to play 8-bit game I would start my old SNES console or other emulator. ANet please leave this in the Mists...

I love the idea of it. I also love 8 bit games. I even love the platforming in GW2 in general (except for Not So Secret...). But what bugs me is that "You only have X days to achieve everything before it vanishes" attitude. I don't want to feel forced to do something or else I miss our on something.On the other hand, each and every reward you get from grinding SAB is ugly and completely brakes my sense of aesthetics, so not getting all the rewards is not such a big drawback.

I loved SAB world one, SAB world 2 was too long, it would have been better if they had split it into 5 zones rather than 3.

I'm not really all that pushed about it anymore but then again that's because I've played the hell out of it and until they add new works I can't see much of a point. It's good that it's seasonal though.

I know SAB is very polarizing. It's kind of like Marmite, you either really love it or really hate it. I personally really love it and there are obviously many others who do too. It's only there once a year for a short time and it doesn't infringe on the rest of the game. Yet every year there are people on the forums who complain that it takes away resources and how much they hate it etc. I don't understand that attitude.

I for example don't like Fractals and rarely do them, that doesn't mean that I think it's a waste of resources or that it should be removed. I also don't go around saying how much I hate it every time a new Fractal comes out. Clearly a lot of people DO like them. MMOs are designed to cater to many different kind of people that like different content, not to you personally. Accept that and allow others to enjoy the content they like, and you'll find you feel less negative in general.

(p.s. PLEASE COMPLETE THIS CONTENT AND ADD THE OTHER WORLDS)

Fay.2735 I despise marmite, Bovril way better! What I do mind is how tons of people afk at Moto's machine in Rata Sum causing a terribly overly long loading time, if they have any consideration they can afk inside the SAB instance but that's not Anet's fault. Agreed if people dislike it they can ignore it easily but I find it quite sad how much of the GW2 community find it the best content of the game, speaks volumes about the quality of the game or at least the skewed tastes of the masses…

SAB is a terribly pale imitation of the beloved yesteryear of gaming mostly Anet's attempts to nod Zelda and Mario (Frankly failing hard too. Zelda 64 and Mario 64 completely stomp SAB a million times over, heck normal GW2 as well), I had fun first day trying it at most, was a letdown as I heard good stuff about it they praised it too much. I expected it to be like a big jp esque dungeon like some fractals e.g Uncategorised where we use our normal class skills but no it's just lame stick beating etc… If SAB does anything it makes me want to play my older consoles, which still work despite their age. Puzzles me as well how SAB seems to be the favourite content of everything in GW2, gives me a bad impression of the entire community.

@Crossaber.8934 said:I personally don't enjoy SAB.

I was a kid when 8bit game were a thing back in the days, Nintendo, Sega etc...If there are multiple games in front of me to choose for a limited time, Mario, Contra, Street fighter, Double dragon, Tetris, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star...
I will pick Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star first, then comes Double dragon, Contra, Street fighter next, i may play a little Tetris if i have time. Mario? what is the fun of jumping around.... i never get it.

If it's limited time I'd pick them based on time efficiency, platforming can be a total waste of time if you aren't nailing the jumps or progressing and rather than fun unless you really like platforming it just makes your blood boil… I'd not pick a long rpg with a shortage of time as unless you binge it you're not going to get deep into it, I'd pick action games first as they're the shortest games or Tetris as it's a repetitive game you get stuck into quickly. I don't enjoy platformers much anymore did more so as a kid same goes for puzzle games but people change with age. I still play pre 2000 games often, still got a lot of the consoles as said I'm not so easily fazed by stuff being dated so appreciate games for what they were rather than the superficial stuff however as fun as 8bit games were I find lots of them too primitive now hehe (Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Asteroids, Donkey Kong as examples I don't enjoy them for long) but 16bit games I don't see as being too primitive despite they're nearing 30yrs old content now. (I used to go to an arcade till 2005 regularly and would see this posse of guys play for HOURS… Pac Man JR Used to laugh at them for being so backwards but later learned they're nice guys (Well except 1 of them) so was judgemental of me oh well)

To retro games!

@sweetrules.8359 said:

@Sithis.3564 said:IMHO, wasted resources. However I acknowledge that ppl like it.

That statement is contradictory. It isn't wasted resources if enough people like it.Oh it can still be a waste of resources, that can be spent better on permanent content regardless of how popular it is! I find football one of the biggest wastes of resources on Earth or tobacco, both of these generate huge revenues and are popular but are they good for people?

I love SAB.

I don't think it's a nostalgia thing for me, I still have all my old games (and some old games I didn't get to play when they were new) so if I just wanted a nostalgia trip I'd play those. But I enjoy SAB too. Partially it's the novelty of it - I first found out about it via posts in my guild's Facebook group and at first I thought they'd found a way to import their GW2 characters into Minecraft. That combination of modern graphics on the character and some bits of the engine (like the lighting effects) and the old school pseudo 8-bit style look very strange and I enjoy that.

But also it's a good game in it's own right. Yes it's very simple by modern standards (even modern standards for platformers) and it would absolutely need Worlds 3 & 4 to be a stand-alone game. But it is a genuinely good platformer and for something made by a small team for a joke I think it's amazing.

@"Talindra.4958" said:My main character ele. Had around 1k death before tribulations mode was introduced. A week after trib mode, her death count was over 11k .. think that proves how nutty I enjoy sab :)I hv never complain about sab while many others were bashing up Josh in forum here about trib mode and etc. Those who enjoyed it remain quiet and busy getting bashed happily in the game .. :p.

I do both, except I complain out loud, not on the forum and it's only half serious. But "Damnit Josh!" was a very common phrase for me while attempting Tribulation Mode. The rest I couldn't repeat here if I wanted to, but suffice to say I managed to shock my husband a few times. (Although those were directed at objects in the game - mostly rocks and spikes - not at Josh or anyone else at Anet.)

But the one problem with platforming on a PC is you don't have a controller to throw when you get frustrated, so I had to look for alternatives.

Not even sure what it is about, but often the first impression counts, and I went trough the 8-bit times myself (Sega Master System), later MS-DOS and eventually, the final straw that broke the camel's back, the indie game hype on XBOX360 in like 2010. Sorry, but this fake 8-bit played on non-8-bit hardware is awful (note: I am a big fan of FM music, especially the DX7 and some home console chips sounding similar (OPN/YM2612 and the OPL2/YM2812) and in general 70-80s synths, so I can hear a fake wanna-be "oldschool game tune" from 5km away. And supposedly retro graphics on wide-screen FullHD OLED-TVs or monitors is just stupid. Such Vivid colours over a coaxial cable, SCART (for Europeans) or cinch? Pah!

So as soon as I see some "retro" BS I have to turn in disgust. Sorry, it's a reflex. I rather take out my MasterSystem or that 120KByte Golf game on that blue floppy with EGA graphics and PC speaker sounds than this.. And that's why I never played SAB and never had a single bit of interest in it.

Excelsior.

Archived