[Private Poll] Do you enjoy Super Adventure Box? Why?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a reason that platforming has been so popular in the history of video games; Its the most straight forward intuitive mechanic that also provides an interaction that feels the most real. Real time Collision is universal and it feels good to come up against boundaries; you can almost feel the boundary with your mind. I'd postulate that it is the most "interactive" concept in video games, and it is one of the easiest mechanics to make. You start with collision and then you add elements like rhythm/timing and thinking ahead.

Have you ever felt satisfied with the way a game handles something in real time, when one object collides with another? When Halo: Combat evolved came out it was so satisfying to melee a grunt or even the wall. It felt "solid" and platforming is another example of that.

Its why I have always liked action-rpgs over turn based Rpgs. There is something satisfying when your avatar engages the virtual world in a solid way.

I like SAB.I love it. I am probably obsessed with it.

I mainly love that it is difficult and that the weapons glow.The glowing SAB weapons were my main skin of choice for first 3 years, and I loved the exclusivity of it.

I enjoyed wasting 20hours straight doing the deroir speedrun 16x in a row.I am sad and dont play it now since there is now new world :/

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Dear Arenanet,I'm speaking my mind, but I'm sure a lot of people share my opinion.There are not enough new Jumping Puzzles in the game for a long time. There's like one JP in HoT zones, I don't remember any in the PoF zones. With all the gliding and mounting people are forgetting what made this game interesting and funny. I see people just rushing the new zones and not looking around to see the views that your developers had created with their hands. Underwater content is gone. Little by little it looks like your Team is forgetting that this game is different from any other MMO. Stop listening to the raging players, I know mostly their opinions are shared in the forums or reddit. When someone is having a problem with something he want's to share his opinion...that's normal. But don't misjudge the situation here.Super Adventure Box (SAB) is not only 8-bit joke for some players who think the idea behind it is waste of time. SAB is also the representation, the face of the JP gamestyle in this game. By closing its doors and by not making any more JPs in the open world because of 5% of the actual players who are coming here, complaining about them, that does not mean you have to pull the plug to the old things that made the game what it is today. Sure we all love the new content that you are putting. I'm proud of you for the great work on the new expansion, season 4 story and maps. Please don't turn the experiance I'm having so far just... do the story, do the maps, do the achievments, do the collections...What I'm trying to say is try to stop cutting parts of the game like a plastic surgents trying to make something more pretty and eye soaring for the players. More of the players joined this game not because of the mounts or the gliders but because of the idea behind the game. The community is my family and the game is our home. Try not to inovate it and turn it more like a business place, somewhere where we don't feel comfortable being, place where the job must be done and leave the place asap as we finish it.Thank you for the taken time. I love you Arenanet ! <3

PS: Loved the Three Golem Monte achievment... do more minigames. Fun times.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree. SAB is a different game inside GW2. It is a platformer, sure, but it is NOT a Jumping Puzzle within Tyria. You don't use your character profession skills, you are not confronted with conditions or enemies from the proper game, even the jumping is different.IMO they should invest all the effort they put on SAB (and more) into doing REAL Jumping Puzzles.SAB is the representation of the segregation of game designs within GW2, the face of relegating things that should be integral to the game into well contained corners.

It's fun! Last I checked, that's why most of us game. It's replay value isn't as high as the rest of Guild Wars 2. Regardless, I still play it a few days every year before moving on. None of us on this thread truly have all the information necessary to determine what is a waste of development time and what isn't so I don't worry about it and let the Devs decide (you know, since they have all the necessary info).

I love it. It just seems to push my "instant joy" button.

I'm also terrible at it. The ninjas mess me up to no end and I will never touch tribulation mode for the sake of my sanity. But it's still great and I'm really hoping I'm not in the mood for a break by the time it comes around.

I enjoy it sure, but since they stopped updating it I have grown largely indifferent about it. Still play it every time it has been available but seeing as I am content driven player (as opposed to driven by rewards) these largely recycled festivals we are getting these days are not my cup of tea.

I miss festivals changing in the way they did say from the first to second Halloween etc. Or to stay more on topic the side story they had going on for SAB, but I have basically resigned to the fact that any festivals ever getting updated like that is no longer going to happen.

For the record I am also terrible at jumping puzzles and generally don't like them very much, but SAB made that kind of content (ie. content reliant on jumping and a bit of dexterity even) fun for me for the first time in a very long time (much like Sharkmaw Caverns from the vanilla game did also, and to lesser extent the trap dungeon in Lake Doric I guess).

Where's the option for "I enjoyed it for a while but generally find other things to do in game and have not even gotten the Master in Applied Jumping title?"

As in I think it's a fun activity, especially with friends, but being only a middling platformer and unable to solo King Toad I gave up on progressing. Maybe this year I'll do more of it with some people new to the game who are likely to be super enthusiastic about it and thus elevate its entertainment value for me.

Im going to do a part II on the day SAB releases--with more options.

Please tell me if these options sound good:

• I enjoy playing SAB every day during the festival.• I enjoy(ed) SAB at first, but get/got tired of it later and find/found other stuff to do.• I'm neutral on SAB--doesn't really excite/intrigue me or make me disappointed/angry.• I never played or heard about SAB (Super Adventure Box).• I disliked SAB at first, now I like it.• I don't really like SAB, but I don't hate it.• I hate/really dislike SAB.• My like/dislike relationship with SAB is complicated.

@Abelisk.4527 said:• I enjoy playing SAB every day during the festival.

This is too extreme, in my opinon, it should say something like "I enjoy playing SAB often during the festival." (or almost every day/most days).

@Abelisk.4527 said:• I enjoy(ed) SAB at first, but get/got tired of it later and find/found other stuff to do.• I'm neutral on SAB--doesn't really excite/intrigue me or make me disappointed/angry.• I never played or heard about SAB (Super Adventure Box).

These are mostly good, see below.

@Abelisk.4527 said:• I disliked SAB at first, now I like it.• I don't really like SAB, but I don't hate it.• I hate/really dislike SAB.• My like/dislike relationship with SAB is complicated.

These options have significant overlap with some of the previous options e.g. the second one on both of these lists is essentially the same option. Also just as a general note. if you are designing a single question poll all options should aim to be mutually exclusive. Which e.g. "My like/dislike relationship with SAB is complicated." is not. Consider the following situation: "I enjoy SAB most days, but my like/dislike relationship with it is still complicated".

You have enough options here for two different questions. Also, regular (normal mode) SAB and Tribulation mode are significantly different enough that the responses could be very different depending on which the respondent is thinking about.

If you actually want to get even slightly representative responses SAB is polarizing enough that you would either have to go with multi question survey approach or be very careful how you word the question, and probably post two polls one for normal mode one for tribulation mode (then there is also infantile mode :wink:). Also you'd need to distribute this on Facebook, Twitter and Reddit etc. for better coverage.

Disclaimer: recently have had to consider survey design for University projects, hence my feedback may be overkill. Depends entirely on what you are looking for...

@Crise.9401 said:

@Abelisk.4527 said:• I enjoy playing SAB every day during the festival.

This is too extreme, in my opinon, it should say something like "I enjoy playing SAB often during the festival." (or almost every day/most days).

@Abelisk.4527 said:• I enjoy(ed) SAB at first, but get/got tired of it later and find/found other stuff to do.• I'm neutral on SAB--doesn't really excite/intrigue me or make me disappointed/angry.• I never played or heard about SAB (Super Adventure Box).

These are mostly good, see below.

@Abelisk.4527 said:• I disliked SAB at first, now I like it.• I don't really like SAB, but I don't hate it.• I hate/really dislike SAB.• My like/dislike relationship with SAB is complicated.

These options have significant overlap with some of the previous options e.g. the second one on both of these lists is essentially the same option. Also just as a general note. if you are designing a single question poll all options should aim to be mutually exclusive. Which e.g. "My like/dislike relationship with SAB is complicated." is not. Consider the following situation: "I enjoy SAB most days, but my like/dislike relationship with it is still complicated".

You have enough options here for two different questions. Also, regular (normal mode) SAB and Tribulation mode are significantly different enough that the responses could be very different depending on which the respondent is thinking about.

If you actually want to get even slightly representative responses SAB is polarizing enough that you would either have to go with multi question survey approach or be very careful how you word the question, and probably post two polls one for normal mode one for tribulation mode (then there is also infantile mode :wink:). Also you'd need to distribute this on Facebook, Twitter and Reddit etc. for better coverage.

Disclaimer
:
recently have had to consider survey design for University projects, hence my feedback may be overkill. Depends entirely on what you are looking for...

Thanks for the insight!

Archived