Precursor drops — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Precursor drops

Since my friend who is relatively new to the game dropped a precursor, I would like to ask you guys, did you ever get one dropped?
I play since launch and never had one drop, had to buy them all off tp or craft.
I won't say that I am not salty because I am.

<13

Comments

• Only two. Dawn from a L6 Raptor Hatchling, and the Energizer.
    It's been several years now, though.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

I've seen exactly 0 precursors, been playing since head start, 9k hours and counting.

• @maddoctor.2738 said:
    I've seen exactly 0 precursors, been playing since head start, 9k hours and counting.

When will our pain end

• titje.2745titje.2745 Member ✭✭✭

not dropped. 1 tarir bag. and 5 from mystic forge.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

They're random - which means some people will get them very quickly, some will get more than one over time and others will take years to get one or never will. That's how random works.

For what it's worth I've never gotten one as a drop, but that's partially because I spend a lot of my time, playing low level characters where level 80 or exotic drops of any kind are extremely rare and a lot more time in story instances where the majority of drops are pre-determined and precursors are not an option at all. I also don't use tricks like boosting magic find before opening bags to increase my chances of getting a precursor. I also never put exotics into the Mystic Forge so I've got no chance of getting them that way either.

IMO it's important to remember that - not all play time is equal when it comes to your chances of getting a precursor. So it doesn't matter how many days or months or years you've owned the game or even how many hours you've spent logged in. What matters is the times when you're doing something that produces random weapon drops. Of course that's extremely hard to keep track of, so I'm not saying you should actually work it out or compare it with your friend, just bear in mind it's not remotely as simple as "I've played for X hours so I should have had a precursor by now".

More importantly never getting a precursor has not prevented me from making a legendary weapon - I've made 3 (1 before crafting was an option, 2 after) and could have made many more if I wanted to. Before precursor crafting was announced it was a problem because the only option was to get a lucky drop or buy one from the TP and the prices were rising steadily with no sign of stopping which made affording one challenging for many people. But since precursor crafting was announced the price has dropped and sort-of stabalised, because if it gets much above the cost of crafting one people will stop buying them. And of course you can just craft it and don't have to worry about the price at all.

Would I like to get a random drop which gets me several hundred gold for no extra effort? Yes of course I would. But that's all it is to me - if I want to make a legendary I'll craft the precursor, if I want gold I'll farm it. A precursor to sell would be a nice surprise but it doesn't bother me if I don't get it, any more than it will bother me if all those roller beetle races I've been doing don't get me a free computer or $20,000.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭

I've had one drop from the labyrinth chest in the Silverwastes earlier this year, after playing for almost 10k hour. Fortunately for me it was the only one I ever really wanted to have, the precursor to the minstrel (focus). More fortunate, thanks to playing a long time I even had enough resources to craft it into its legendary form the same night despite it being one of the rare days where the trading post was down all evening.

That said, my other legendaries (Ad Infinitum, Kudzu, and Nevermore) were all crafted from scratch, including precursors, and it was a much more memorable, enjoyable, and satisfying experience. I love my minstrel, but if I ever were to craft another gen1 legendary I'd prefer to craft the precursor from scratch rather than dropping/forging/buying it.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Since launch, 2 from the smallest chests after tarir meta. 4 from forge. Never from open world play, altho a guildie once got one from a jellyfish in southson..

• Saying they're random is an understatement, 7.5k+ hours here and never had a pre drop open world, i personally believe that since pre crafting was introduced Anet has also lowered the drop rate from the forge to the same as dropping in open world.

I have gotten all of my pre's from the forge in the past, probably 25+ but since crafting was introduced i havent had 1, in the thousands of items thrown in not a single pre, i guess it would make sense for anet to encourage crafting over gambling.

Where Danikat is right in saying play time doesnt mean anything, as 7k hours could be AFK, i am far from an AFK player, i am very active in the game across all content.

Anyone reading this who is waiting for that pre to drop before/if you make that legendary dont, either buy it or craft it ( keep in mind many T1 legendary precursors are cheaper to buy than to craft )

• Lanhelin.3480Lanhelin.3480 Member ✭✭✭

Got two of them so far. 1 in the MF by combining four rare items (Warhorn) and 1 dropped from a skritt burglar's bag in Plains of Ashford (Disco Mace).

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

0 drops since headstart 2012, 5k hours. Actually, I got one from a T4 ascended reward chest (or similar), but that's not a drop. Also, I wasted some hundred if not thousands worth of exotics and rares in the mystic toilet for 0 return. I long long stopped using the forge for this. A friend had about 6 or so precursors from the forge. Great balancing lol. Anyways, since most old legendaries are out of favour anyways and since I have 7 or so skins, it doesn't bother me that much.

• Nath Forge Tempete.1645Nath Forge Tempete.1645 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018

got storm (fractals) once after 4 years and got spark in jahai like 2 months ago . (Been playing since launch)

• I play since beta - not a single drop. I got 2 from mystic toilet (rifle/hammer) after hundreds of tries. Then I simply bought another 2 precursors and 2 legendaries directly from TP.

• @ProtoGunner.4953 said:
    =old legendaries are out of favour anyways =

But I made Dreamer week ago

• Played since beta and only had one drop from a champ during the old champ train days.

• Cyanchiv.2583Cyanchiv.2583 Member ✭✭✭

Played since GW2 launched and I've had 2 precursor drops. One, The Legend, was from a random set of rares put in the mystic forge during season1 marionette (cause she dropped nearly a full inventory worth of rares each time the event ran). My second, Dusk, was about a year and a half ago that I got from a random mob on the Ascalonian fractal. I also won Rodgort's flame during a community event several years ago. All other precursors I have I either crafted or bought.

• luzonophir.7134luzonophir.7134 Member ✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018

i got Storm recently from WvW Champion bag. I've seen my former WvW guildmates in the way way past getting them too from WvW Champion bags and 1 i think from an enemy kill and a follower of my small havoc squad getting one, again, from a WvW Champion bag.

• Susy.7529Susy.7529 Member ✭✭✭

Got only one (the shield) in my whole playthrough from day one.

• Playing since beta, and not one precursor. Not one. I have guildies that've had over a dozen, but me? Not. A. Single. One. I'm not salty...

• Wat... Are... Prosciuttors ?
    Never had one in any way or form, been playing since early access (3 days pre launch :lol: )

Doug Warobaz - Norn To Be Alive [NtbA]

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

Played since February. 4 dropped:
    Chaos Gun - Auric Basin
    Storm - Auric Basin
    The Chosen - Auric Basin
    The Bard - last Sunday in WvW

• Etterwyn.5263Etterwyn.5263 Member ✭✭✭

Got The Chosen from a WVW reward loot bag a few weeks ago. First and only one in 3 years. Honestly it's not a big deal anymore since I could have bought it if I had even wanted it.

I get more excited when an Ascended armor chest drops. I can't buy that off the TP.

• DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭

Playing since GW1, one drop so far. Not sure what from, it was there in the bag at the end of a play session.

X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

• kurfu.5623kurfu.5623 Member ✭✭✭

A few thousand hours in the game, zero pre drops.

This is my signature. It is not very exciting.

• MokahTGS.7850MokahTGS.7850 Member ✭✭✭

To be honest, I think the game would benefit from a loot find mercy rule based on time played. Just some internal counter that your account accrues over time that buffs your chances of getting better drops. Better drops then "spend" these accruals and as time goes on you build up more. Random is all well and good, but going thousands of hours in a game without a better drop than an exotic worth 1-2 gold is kinda sad.

• @Warobaz.9543 said:
    Wat... Are... Prosciuttors ?
    Never had one in any way or form, been playing since early access (3 days pre launch :lol: )

A kind of macaroni

• @MokahTGS.7850 said:
    To be honest, I think the game would benefit from a loot find mercy rule based on time played. Just some internal counter that your account accrues over time that buffs your chances of getting better drops. Better drops then "spend" these accruals and as time goes on you build up more. Random is all well and good, but going thousands of hours in a game without a better drop than an exotic worth 1-2 gold is kinda sad.

I had the same thought today, probably will never happen.
    We will probably get a flock of people saying "But you have to work for them!".
    I'm done working, have mercy and drop me one, not even good one.

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think your friend pulled a prank on you.
    Precursors dont drop. You have to grind gold and buy on.
    If they dropped i would’ve seen one in six years

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• @Ayakaru.6583 said:
    I think your friend pulled a prank on you.
    Precursors dont drop. You have to grind gold and buy on.
    If they dropped i would’ve seen one in six years

What is gold

• Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think I got the harpoon gun one twice at different times. Getting one is certainly not something you can count on.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Back when PoF launched I bought it for my girlfriend and played through the story with her. We were in the Desolation, doing the heart at the Shadow's camp and I went to vendor some stuff when she asked me "Why is this item worth 450 gold?" and my jaw dropped.

I have yet to drop one myself, but knowing my luck I will probably drop one I will have already crafted at that point.

Logging out forever.

• I've got about 11 BL key drops.
    No precursors so far.
    I've got such a bad luck with gear drops that the chest during the Southsun release that gave people 2 exotics and 2 legendary weapons and handed up many precursors gave to me 1 level 76 exotic and 1 level 78 rare instead.

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

After six years and over 6k hours i finally got one two months ago. Zap, from the mystic toilet, while throwing shields into the forge trying to get the Shield Pre... Ive pruchased the rest of them.

Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

None at all.

• jediwolf.8724jediwolf.8724 Member ✭✭✭

My first drop of one in six years was this past Halloween in the labyrinth. I got The Storm.
    I have gotten The Legend, Energizer, Spark, The Colossus, Rage and Tooth of Frostfang form the forge.
    I forge a lot. The rest I have made or bought of the trading post.
    Got Storm and Colossus within 24 hrs. I think I used up the last of my horseshoes.

• @AoTsuki.8675 said:
    Since my friend who is relatively new to the game dropped a precursor, I would like to ask you guys, did you ever get one dropped?
    I play since launch and never had one drop, had to buy them all off tp or craft.
    I won't say that I am not salty because I am.

People obsess with this question all the time. There are good reasons (these are extraordinary in price and rarity), but it's pretty much like winning a lottery when the tickets are obtained by killing foes and/or opening bags. I've seen people say "I've been playing for 6 years" or "I have 25000 hours in the game" and complaining that they haven't seen a drop.

But time isn't a factor, except indirectly. It's how you spent the time. If you do mostly dungeons and world bosses, and adventures, well, you have almost no opportunities to get a precursor drop. If you spend all your time in Orrian temple events (and other chains with target-rich environments), you are much, much, much more likely to get a precursor.

Another factor is the amount of magic find you run around with: higher is better.

If you want to ensure that you get a precursor before you stop playing, there are two nearly guaranteed methods:

• Forge L74+ rares or exotics.
    • Open unidentified gear bags (rares if you can afford, blues if you can't) (and with as much magic find as you can manage).

It will take a lot of mouse clicks, but eventually you'll get one. For blue unID bags with 600-700% MF, the chance is roughly 1:43000, although you might go 300k+ bags without seeing one. For forging, it's about 1 precursor for every 143 exotic forges (572 weapons forged), with very high variance. For rares, it's closer to 860 tries (about 6 times less frequent). Again, those are averages; your mileage is going to vary, a lot.
    (Currently, it's easy to get elonian rares at about 10-15s, so it's cheaper to try exotics if you can get them in bulk at under 60s.)

"With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

• Elothar.4382Elothar.4382 Member ✭✭✭

Been playing since launch. Had one (Leaf of Kudzu) drop in EOTM.

• Started playing at the headstart and then quit about halfway through season 1 and never saw one drop during that time. Probably won't see one any time soon now that I'm playing again.

☠ Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured? ☠

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and they never get to try again."

• mauried.5608mauried.5608 Member ✭✭✭

Got 3 from the big chests under tarir after the AB meta, took a long time though, and at least 200 AB runs .

• Never got a pre drop from anywhere, played since launch. I will never create a legendary outside of the pvp backpiece. I mostly pvp and had all the mats in my bank, all of my progress towards it was completely passive so no boring grind needed.

MESMER MAIN SPOTTED

• In 6 years i have got 3. 1 from a dungeon chest 1 from the toilet and 1 from raiding.

<13
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.