Precursor drops - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Precursor drops

Comments

• Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018

Never got one in over a year of playing and mystic-forging all the exotic weapons that drop.

Only one I heard of dropping in-game was from a guild newbie asking "What exactly is this about?" when they got it.

• I didn't get one for the first 3 years I played. Then in a period of just a few months, I got five or six of them. I haven't gotten any since.

• Deimos.4263Deimos.4263 Member ✭✭✭

Tons from the forge, bought a couple, none from drops.

• Over 2k hours and no drops. A friend with much more hours than me was in a similar situation, but recently looted two precursors from a single WvW zergfight.

• 12,194 hrs in the game and 3 drops so far.
    The first was Howl, from a trash mob skele in Mad King's Lab, 3 years ago.
    The second, Tooth of Frostfang, was in my inventory after helping a friend with the 'Victory or Death' chapter of their personal story... that was a real surprise.
    And a couple of weeks back I got The Bard from a trash mob in Bitterfrost Frontier.
    I made The Howler and Frostfang, but sold The Bard and bought Dusk and made Twilight.
    They're out there, keep trying!

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭

drops are bad and RNG is broken, Anet couldn't care less.

• Jumpin Lumpix.6108Jumpin Lumpix.6108 Member ✭✭✭✭

@AoTsuki.8675 said:
    Since my friend who is relatively new to the game dropped a precursor, I would like to ask you guys, did you ever get one dropped?
    I play since launch and never had one drop, had to buy them all off tp or craft.
    I won't say that I am not salty because I am.

I had Dusk drop when I was doing WvW in a zerg and I had Kudzu drop when I was doing trick or treat bag farming in Mad kings labyrinth one year.

• @AoTsuki.8675 said:
    Since my friend who is relatively new to the game dropped a precursor, I would like to ask you guys, did you ever get one dropped?
    I play since launch and never had one drop, had to buy them all off tp or craft.

I've had two. I had Rodgort's Flame drop for me from a bag I looted in a night of Silverwasting. I crafted it as my first legendary and then sold it.
    I had Zap drop for me within my first 15 minutes of Lab farming this past Halloween, but I had just crafted Verdarach, was down to my last 24 gold and the idea of grinding more materials made me want to cry ...so I just sold the precursor.

• Never had one drop 15 legendary weapons later, played since launch, 12k hours... I gave up hope long ago I would get one.

• I've had two drop in WvW, a couple from the unidentified gear, and around fifty from the forge.

• ~13k hours in game. 1 precursor dropped in WvW (Chaos Gun).

_We must secure the existence of our Quaggans and a future for Quaggan children. _

• Jwake.7013Jwake.7013 Member ✭✭✭

I think my first one was about 6 months into playing the game, second was about 2 years in and third was about 4 years in. All three were from WvW. Did also get one from the mystic forge as well.

"Freedom is something that you need to actively acquire. It's not something that's given with no strings attached. To be free means to take responsibility, and to prepare yourself for what's to come." ~Charles Beams~

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018

I think I’ve had atleast 10 from the Mystic Forge. I even got 2 Bifrosts one after the other forging. That was insane.
    The only one that technically dropped for me was Tooth of Frostfang from a Masterwork Unidentified Piece of Gear.

The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

• Omnicron.2467Omnicron.2467 Member ✭✭✭

Does mystic forge count? I throw all the rare weapons I loot in there. Got three precursors in the last six months (shield, short bow, longbow)

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

5,200 hours played, never dropped.

Twice The Legend from the forge because I throw in a lot of fractal and account bound exotics.

Friend of mine on his sub 200 hour account got a The Legend from some trash mob on our way to get him some Hero Points in Dragon Stand.

It's RNG.

• DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭

I stopped counting. Maybe like 10?

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭

@MokahTGS.7850 said:
    To be honest, I think the game would benefit from a loot find mercy rule based on time played. Just some internal counter that your account accrues over time that buffs your chances of getting better drops. Better drops then "spend" these accruals and as time goes on you build up more. Random is all well and good, but going thousands of hours in a game without a better drop than an exotic worth 1-2 gold is kinda sad.

Define "better drops". Does this mean precursors only? Ascended items? Named exotics? Items worth a certain amount on the trading post at a specific time?

Does Rage count as a "better drop" (the harpoon gun precursor currently worth about 32 gold)? Does Sam reset the counter (a regular exotic that is part of a collection, currently worth above 300 gold)? What about the person above that said they'd much rather have an ascended chest than a precursor? How does "better drops" work for them?

I don't think a "mercy rule" is as easy as you make it out to be. This game's reward and economy system heavily relies on the fact that people will get a lot of little bits of loot that add up, rather than the all-or-nothing reward systems we're used to from other games. Personally I very much appreciate this, as it means I'll be pretty much guaranteed to progress towards whatever goals I have, no matter what I do and how good/bad my luck at looting is. As such, getting a lot of drops that can be salvaged into materials and traded for other materials I need to reach my goals is a lot preferable to me to dropping a 30 gold exotic every once in a blue moon. A guaranteed exotic/precursor drop would either lead to the loot pool for those guarantees dropping in value quickly (after all, there are a ton of players playing, all of which would get those guaranteed drops either naturally or through the mercy rule) or the amount of gameplay needed to reach the guarantee threshold would be so large that it would be negligible for most people except for those dedicated to farming a lot (and those already have a good chance at dropping "something of value" the regular way).

• Yargesh.4965Yargesh.4965 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018

Not sure how many where drops, I know I got nothing for 3 plus years. Since then I know I got the dagger and the spear 2x from mob drops, maybe the focus. Then about 8 from mystic forge just throwing rares and exotics when they pile up in my inventory.
    Made the sword pre after I made Bolt since I lack patience so bought it the first time. Then sold the second Bolt.
    Made the predator and sold it, made kraitkin and kept it. May make kudzu but not sure, it was my latest from forge.

• dace.8019dace.8019 Member ✭✭✭

I've had two - one from each end of the value spectrum.

Got Zap, which at the time was worth over 1,000 gold. I'd just joined a pug for HotW p1 and while waiting for the opener to get to the dungeon, I hopped into the water to kill a couple of things below the entrance - was half way through killing the veteran fish when the join button appeared. This was when you could just join dungeons from the prompt in combat. Very nearly did and would have missed the drop.

Years later I got Carcharias (~30 gold :( ) from a PoF bounty.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭

I only had one drop and that was from the Jotun in Bitterfrost which has higher rates for them if i'm not mistaken.

Only others i've had were crafted or bought.. mostly bought.
    Their drop rates are just far too low for my tastes, specially since i've bad luck with RNG most of the time.

• I play for 4 years. Usually I clear all the mobs in an instance (fractal or dungeon) if the team is not asking for skip. I have the "Slayer" achievement for all the mobs (excepting the giants). For me the map exploration is not very fast because I kill (usually) everything in my way instead of avoiding the mobs.
    I dropped 1 Precursor till now. The Chaos Gun - in WvW. I don't know if from a mob/enemy or from a chest I opened. It remained in the inventory after salvaging all the gear I had.

Still, dropping precursors was never one of my concerns. So, even with 1 in 4 years I cannot say I'm unhappy.

• Around 5k hours since headstart and I got my first (torch) during casual WvW 2 weeks ago.
    I was crafting and buying previously the precursor for the 2 greatsword, sword, staff, axe, short bow, trident, harpoon gun.

• Schnuschnu.9857Schnuschnu.9857 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018

6 years and 4,8k hours in, nothing. Every time I think about it it makes me a little sad.

@Blocki.4931 said:
    Back when PoF launched I bought it for my girlfriend and played through the story with her. We were in the Desolation, doing the heart at the Shadow's camp and I went to vendor some stuff when she asked me "Why is this item worth 450 gold?" and my jaw dropped.

Had something similar with Pokemon, hunting for shiny eevee and broke a 500+ chain by accident. I stoped because I was salty. My girlfriend wanted to try and didn't even listen to how you do this, she just rushed in the grass and the very first encounter was a shiny eevee with decent nature and stats. She also got a permanent hair stylist contract from a BLC, so one could see a pattern there.

• 2 Colossus from dredge fractal, Dawn from tengu guard in dbl, frenzy from player in wvw and zap from Forge.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

2 dropped for me, Howl from a chest in Bitterfrost (might have been from a mob that attacked me as I looted the chest) and Dawn from a champ bag or some other container.

• Across perhaps 4 years, I have only gotten 3 precursors: Dusk from a random Sparkfly mob when I was doing the hard wood logging route, and another Dusk that I can't remember where I got it from (the former was made recently into Twilight, the other vendored); and Leaf of Kudzu from the dragon box after a Shatterer victory. All with roughly 130%-140% account magic find and with no actual farming intent. So of course I went kitten when they arrived...

"I may not have my shinies anymore, but I'm still an honorary skritt!"
    Roaming skritt needs caffeine badly.
    Oldschool electronic music enthusiast.

• I only got 2, one is like 4years ago or something I don't remember but can check, the other was today, it was The Hunter

• Karaha.3290Karaha.3290 Member ✭✭✭

Not a single precursor after 10k hours. Well, then came Istan.
    I got 2 precursor in 3 weeks there and later another two.
    The first one I got from one of the chests in Palawadan. That one you could loot multiple time the first weeks.
    The second and third one I got from Pieces of Common Unidentified Gear (the blue ones). I actually opened them in SW.
    The fourth one I got from a Palawan Phylactery.

• Robban.1256Robban.1256 Member ✭✭
    edited December 12, 2018

@AoTsuki.8675 said:

First precursor drop I did get 2 years ago (have played gw2 for 4 years total), it was Zap (Sword) from Mad kings Labyrinth. 2nd precursor drop I did get this year cus i wanted to use up some mystic stones since i had over 1 stack so i did put some rare weapons in the mystic forge and it was Chaos Gun (Pistol). 3rd Precursor i did get this week from Generosity's Reward (Star of Gratitude) it was The Hunter (rifle).

Edit (note) have played +9k hours over the past 1700 days / 4 years 7 months

"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might has well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default"- J.K Rowling
    “The more you know, the more you know you don't know.”-Aristotle

• After years of not seeing precursors and assuming I never would, I somehow got two in one weekend a couple months back. Two!

• jbrother.1340jbrother.1340 Member ✭✭✭

@AoTsuki.8675 said:

Most people have not had one drop. I played since they launched and not salty could care less so I guess I am savor and sweet...

get over it. if you played since launch you could have farmed the gold to guaranteed one now and bought it.

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

Beta player, got 2 prec drops: Colossus when Engi turret farm was a thing in Lake Doric and Dawn from a champ during Palawadan event.

• Bollocks.4078Bollocks.4078 Member ✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018

I've been playing since head start. Only precursor I've gotten was 3 months ago from Mystic Toilet by forging 4 random longbows I'd acquired by normal game play. I've played just over 5k hours across many different areas of the game. I have no idea how much of that time actually had a chance getting a precursor.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

If you want to ensure that you get a precursor before you stop playing, there are two nearly guaranteed methods:

• Forge L74+ rares or exotics.
    • Open unidentified gear bags (rares if you can afford, blues if you can't) (and with as much magic find as you can manage).

According to the wiki, if you forge exotics they need to have an average level of 75 or higher for a chance of getting a precursor. Neither of those methods ensures a precursor. It could take an astronomical amount of time or gold, or you might never get one. The only real guaranteed way is to buy on TP or craft one.

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018

@kitten.4078 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

If you want to ensure that you get a precursor before you stop playing, there are two nearly guaranteed methods:

• Forge L74+ rares or exotics.
    • Open unidentified gear bags (rares if you can afford, blues if you can't) (and with as much magic find as you can manage).

According to the wiki, if you forge exotics they need to have an average level of 75 or higher for a chance of getting a precursor. Neither of those methods ensures a precursor.

The wiki's text is out of date. It used to be thought (with reason) that the average level has to be 75. But I've found that 74 works too; I've never gotten a sub L80 rare from forging and the exotic rate for exotic 80s is the same as using L75 gear.

It could take an astronomical amount of time or gold, or you might never get one.

That's an incorrect restatement of the statistical data that we have. There's an astronomical chance that you might never get one; the people who forge precursors "for a living" have enormous amounts of evidence that it happens eventually.

It's fair to say that you might spend more than you save if you don't forge very many; it's not correct to say

The only real guaranteed way is to buy on TP or craft one.

The law of large numbers says otherwise. It's not guaranteed that you get an average number of precursors, but if you forge enough, a finite amount far below "astronomical," you will get them.

Putting some numbers on this and assuming the rates haven't changed from 1:143 exotic tries... forging 1000 times means a 99.9% chance you'll get at least one precursor. With 1500 forges, it's 99.99% chance. At 2000 forges, the chances are astronomical that you won't get any precursors.

For rares (again assuming the 'true' rate is 1:860 as the original data shows), it takes 6000 forges to have a 99.9% chance to get at least 1. At 8000, it's 99.99%. And by 12000 forges, the chances are astronomical that you won't get any.

"With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

As long as the process is random the desired result is NOT guaranteed regardless of the odds at 8000 attempts.

Of course 99.99% chance of the desired outcome is good enough for government work.

• I dunno a few years ago I tried to forge, 4-6k gold washed away I got nothing of value. I was well into the idea my account was lucky with BLC and not getting a pre. I am ok with this. I have gotten 2 perm hair contracts and a perm merchant from the BLC I will take what I can get.

• @Ashen.2907 said:
    As long as the process is random the desired result is NOT guaranteed regardless of the odds at 8000 attempts.

In a technical sense, no, not "guaranteed" as in "it's possible to describe a scenario in which there's no precursor. However, on a practical basis, yes, it's guaranteed.

The randomness comes into play when you consider 5999 failed attempts and asking the likelihood of the 6000th try: the odds of that don't change. RNG doesn't care what you had for breakfast or how lucky you've been so far.
    However, when we consider thousands of attempts, the law of large numbers comes into play. That's why we can say, absolutely, that the "House always wins." That doesn't mean that there won't be people who win (there will be). It means, over the long run, they are guaranteed to rake in the coin, even though they can lose big on any given roll, any given spin, any given shuffle.

We can't say which forge will be the lucky one, but we can make some accurate predictions about how many one gets if one forges for long enough.

Of course 99.99% chance of the desired outcome is good enough for government work.

Which was why I posted the numbers for when the odds of failure dropped to infinitesimal levels.

"With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

• Andy.5981Andy.5981 Member ✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018

Reading this thread has made me feel much better. I just thought it was me. Been playing since just after launch. I've levelled a character of every class to level 80. Finished World completion and PoF on each of them and apart from two (who are at the Hearts and Minds mission in HoT) I've also completed HoT as well.

8.3K hours of proper play time, not afk for long periods, 28879 achievement points, level 40 PvP (stopped playing I hated it) and 1386 rank in Wvw (all played in the normal zones). Every single one of them has done all the living world events. Magic find is at 256%. I regularly do events in zones.

I've not dropped a single pre-cursor.

Which just goes to show that it is totally random.....

• Playing since January, 31th 2017 and I got those:

• The Hunter (Silverwastes)
    • The Colossus (Domain of Istan)
    • The Energizer (Domain of Istan)

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.
    D. D. Eisenhower

• mtpelion.4562mtpelion.4562 Member ✭✭✭

I've never had one from a mob kill, but I've pulled 1 from my home instance Exalted chest, 1 from a champ bag, and the other 6 were from the Mystic Forge.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.