Greatsword would be too OP for Revenant class

Knighthonor.4061

Something comes to mind. The main issue with Revenant getting a two hander melee dps weapon is that it could potentially be extremely OP with Shiro which is a stock legend that all future elite Specs still have access to. With a distance closer and avoidance and dual strikes and a Stun, it's just doesn't mesh well with a Two hander melee dps weapon.Because of this, likely the next Elite Spec will get another Condition weapon or a off hand power weapon to replace OH-Sword.

Rev is overdue for something game braking OP.

It was middle of the pack HOT release from a pvp standpoint.

It was the worst spec, weakest damage, lowest sustain and utility POF spec, about 50% as strong as the worst core specs. and after a year of straight buffs it’s still weaker than every spec in game by a large margin. (Outside of PvE raids).

Eh, rev needs a super hard melee hitter to combine with s/s or staff (for cc). Start in gs for the initial burst/setup then swap to s/s for sustained dps. A greatsword would fit that role perfectly as well as serve as a thematically pleasing weapon.

It doesn’t really matter what single handed weapon you add, it will only serve to replace 1 weapon anyways and depending on the type of damage it will put out (it’s gonna be power if previous elites are indicative of what’s to come), it will probably be lacklustre if the weapon itself isn’t grossly overpowered (or the utilities for that matter).

TL;DR Greatsword is bae.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Something comes to mind. The main issue with Revenant getting a two hander melee dps weapon is that it could potentially be extremely OP with Shiro which is a stock legend that all future elite Specs still have access to. With a distance closer and avoidance and dual strikes and a Stun, it's just doesn't mesh well with a Two hander melee dps weapon.Because of this, likely the next Elite Spec will get another Condition weapon or a off hand power weapon to replace OH-Sword.

Or you know... they just scale the damage of the weapon downwards.See: Scrapper Hammer.

Your logic is flawed.

@JayAction.9056 said:Rev is overdue for something game braking OP.

It was middle of the pack HOT release from a pvp standpoint.

It was the worst spec, weakest damage, lowest sustain and utility POF spec, about 50% as strong as the worst core specs. and after a year of straight buffs it’s still weaker than every spec in game by a large margin. (Outside of PvE raids).

On HoT’s launch Herald was so ridiculously over powered. You could look at someone and they would die. They’ve been nerfed heavily over the years while other professions have stayed relatively the same, or actually improved.

By PoF and where we’re at now? I’d easily say that rev is the most balanced and skillful class to play (OH sword is OP however). I will always stand by and say that EVERY class needs to be toned down to rev’s current level. Enough of this power creep nonsense.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Something comes to mind. The main issue with Revenant getting a two hander melee dps weapon is that it could potentially be extremely OP with Shiro which is a stock legend that all future elite Specs still have access to. With a distance closer and avoidance and dual strikes and a Stun, it's just doesn't mesh well with a Two hander melee dps weapon.Because of this, likely the next Elite Spec will get another Condition weapon or a off hand power weapon to replace OH-Sword.

Or you know... they just scale the damage of the weapon downwards.See: Scrapper Hammer.

Your logic is flawed.

Remind me how meta or strong Scrapper Hammer is again? Talk to Engineer players and you'll see how flawed your own logic is.

@Dace.8173 said:Remind me how meta or strong Scrapper Hammer is again? Talk to Engineer players and you'll see how flawed your own logic is.

I think you're agreeing with him/her.

Also regarding the OP, we couldn't really say anything about greatsword being overpowered or underpowered until it actually got released and we saw what the kit was like. They could really do anything with it.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

@Dace.8173 said:Remind me how meta or strong Scrapper Hammer is again? Talk to Engineer players and you'll see how flawed your own logic is.

Also regarding the OP, we couldn't really say anything about greatsword being overpowered or underpowered until it actually got released and we saw what the kit was like. They could really do anything with it.

The thing is, assuming they made GS a power dps weapon, it would definitely create an OP level of damage output...

In order for a new power weapon to be useable, it's damage potential/energy efficiency over a 10 second interval would need to be greater than just camping sword's aa and spamming precision strike off cd while channeling IO/VH, or it wouldn't be worth swapping to... Since anet wouldn't add a new weapon and have it be instantly useless, it's pretty safe to assume that GS would probably have a slow auto attack but high damaging skills with the standard cool downs of ~8-25 seconds. The addition of such a weapon would allow you to combo Sword 2+4+5 + these new high damage GS skills all together around your legend swap for insane burst damage output. It would be similar to what you could do when SotM did off the charts ridonkulous damage--only much worse because back then you didn't also have access to the new, reworked OH sword's damage.

I mean, you're right that they wouldn't necessarily make it a power dps weapon, but I'd say it's super unlikely that it'd be yet another condi weapon... And it would have to have some whacky, off-the-wall, creative skills on it if it ever hoped to replace Staff as the utility weapon go to.

If that's the case then my bad.

@narcx.3570 said:

The thing is, assuming they made GS a power dps weapon, it would definitely create an OP level of damage output...

In order for a new power weapon to be useable, it's damage potential/energy efficiency over a 10 second interval would need to be greater than just camping sword's aa and spamming precision strike off cd while channeling IO/VH, or it wouldn't be worth swapping to... Since anet wouldn't add a new weapon and have it be instantly useless, it's pretty safe to assume that GS would probably have a slow auto attack but high damaging skills with the standard cool downs of ~8-25 seconds. The addition of such a weapon would allow you to combo Sword 2+4+5 + these new high damage GS skills all together around your legend swap for insane burst damage output. It would be similar to what you could do when SotM did off the charts ridonkulous damage--only much worse because back then you didn't also have access to the new, reworked OH sword's damage.

I mean, you're right that they wouldn't necessarily make it a power dps weapon, but I'd say it's super unlikely that it'd be yet another condi weapon... And it would have to have some whacky, off-the-wall, creative skills on it if it ever hoped to replace Staff as the utility weapon go to.

If we are lucky maybe we'll get a hybrid weapon. That would be nice.

@Dace.8173 said:

Your logic is flawed.

Remind me how meta or strong Scrapper Hammer is again? Talk to Engineer players and you'll see how flawed your own logic is.

Every engineer player since hammer nerf are kinda agreeing that hammer is less than optimal and the classmechanic sucks lol :p IDK what you are talking about.Hammer isnt the worst weapon out of all professions, but it performs way worse than most metastuff out there.

I don't think there's room to replace staff and sword in PvP. That's why I'm mostly unisterested in the next spec: no matter what they bring, you can't ditch the survability that staff provides nor the burst damage + defensive properties that current sword has. They could maybe craft a defensive build and weapon to fill a role as abunker Rev, but PvE players won't be happy about because no one needs tanks in PvE (a there's better choices if one go that route). So chances are that the next Rev spec will be PvE dps focused, centered about hitting static dps golems and largely useless to PvP (neither the short bow or the trident provided evades, blocks or close gaps of any kind). It would be cool for me if they chose to make a greatsword due I already have Enternity, but as happens with the shield (I also have the Flameseeker) or the short bow (fortunately didn't waste time crafting a legendary sb) it will have no use for me.

@"LucianDK.8615" said:play a warrior, guardian, mesmer or reaper if you want to whack with a greatsword. I hope for a more spellcasting feel with scepter. with perhaps summoned spirits aka ritualist.

I hope they don't repeat the Kalla mistake by creating another pet / spirit spec, where every utility feels the same.I'd prefer if rev could finally have a selfish spec, since herald is a boon-sharing support and renegade is pretty much a damage-support spec for organized content (Potential goes up the more players you have in your group).I don't like the idea of turning rev into a spellcaster, the class always felt like a "brutish" class to me, even using staff, normally a caster weapon, in melee.

@Raknar.4735 said:

@"LucianDK.8615" said:play a warrior, guardian, mesmer or reaper if you want to whack with a greatsword. I hope for a more spellcasting feel with scepter. with perhaps summoned spirits aka ritualist.

I don't like the idea of turning rev into a spellcaster, the class always felt like a "brutish" class to me, even using staff, normally a caster weapon, in melee.

And yet we also use hammer, normally melee as a long range caster weapon. We also have access to trident which is available to magical professions.

@Elric.4713 said:

And yet we also use hammer, normally melee as a long range caster weapon. We also have access to trident which is available to magical professions.

You're right about the trident, i forgot that weapon, it does feel like a caster weapon.I can't agree on the hammer however. I wouldn't call throwing hammers at someone a spell. To me it feels like a brutish physical long range attack.

@Raknar.4735 said:

You're right about the trident, i forgot that weapon, it does feel like a caster weapon.I can't agree on the hammer however. I wouldn't call throwing hammers at someone a spell. To me it feels like a brutish physical long range attack.

We're not throwing physical hammers tho, they're obviously projectiles from the mists.

Reverent and Guardian both use melee weapons with a magical vibe to them. Guardian uses Protective magic and Revenant uses Rift Magic. I don't see why people would not think great sword would be magic inspired especially after seeing Great Sword being used by Mesmer and Revenant use of the Hammer. I think Great Sword would be great with Revenant because the Devs could make any skill they want magical or melee and it would still work with the Rev.

@Buran.3796 said:

I don't think there's room to replace staff and sword in PvP. That's why I'm mostly unisterested in the next spec: no matter what they bring, you can't ditch the survability that staff provides nor the burst damage + defensive properties that current sword has. They could maybe craft a defensive build and weapon to fill a role as abunker Rev, but PvE players won't be happy about because no one needs tanks in PvE (a there's better choices if one go that route). So chances are that the next Rev spec will be PvE dps focused, centered about hitting static dps golems and largely useless to PvP (neither the short bow or the trident provided evades, blocks or close gaps of any kind). It would be cool for me if they chose to make a greatsword due I already have Enternity, but as happens with the shield (I also have the Flameseeker) or the short bow (fortunately didn't waste time crafting a legendary sb) it will have no use for me.

There is room to replace those weapons. They can create Elite weapons that provide more survivability or provided burst + damage. A GS could be created as a support, survivability weapon as easily as it could be made into a bursty DPS monster.

@LucianDK.8615 said:play a warrior, guardian, mesmer or reaper if you want to whack with a greatsword. I hope for a more spellcasting feel with scepter. with perhaps summoned spirits aka ritualist.

I'm still hoping for magical rift daggers!!!

@Raknar.4735 said:I don't like the idea of turning rev into a spellcaster, the class always felt like a "brutish" class to me, even using staff, normally a caster weapon, in melee.

I wouldn't really call Revenant brutish. It leans closer to spellcaster light with its use of the Mists. It has a fair number of attacks that has you making use of the Mists instead of straight up being a bruiser. Even the staff plays more like a mix between your standard physical fighter (first two attacks) with some magical stuff added on top (last three attacks).

@Raknar.4735 said:

We're not throwing physical hammers tho, they're obviously projectiles from the mists.

Yeah, my headcanon is we're throwing an echo of a physical hammer that was thrown sometime in the past or the future.

That doesn't change what is actually going on though. Personal headcanon doesn't trump in-game facts. It clearly slings magical rift energy at people. It clearly lets you jump through the Mists to attack someone. It clearly conjures up some Mist energy to protect from ranged. It clearly creates a magical hammer to drop on people. The only purely physical attack is Coalescence of Ruin and even that attack sends Mist energy at folks.

@Dace.8173 said:

There is room to replace those weapons. They can create Elite weapons that provide more survivability or provided burst + damage. A GS could be created as a support, survivability weapon as easily as it could be made into a bursty DPS monster.

No. Not in the sustain front, at least. At the begining, we had the staff and the shield. But the shield got butchered, and now using one is a good way to be killed fast. And then they removed the block in the off hand sword (replaced by a burst which is making child scream in the PvP forum and will end nerfed, no doubt). And neither the short bow or the trident have defensive skills. So I don't think they could make a good defensive weapon (much less a great one, as the staff still is) and no way they focuse their efforts in doing a tank build in this times in which the only thing that seems to count is the dps scores at the Snow Crows page. See: no one is using the shield or the short bow in 2/3 of the game modes, and the new weapon is supposed to be one of the greather reasons for excitement in each expansion! My bet is on another dps weapon absolutely horrid outside anything but raids.

Archived