Yeah...about that Prototype Position Rewinder gizmo

GW Noob.6038

I just bought a Prototype Position Rewinder in the Sandswept Isles for 175,000 karma + 75 Difluorite Crystals...as far as I can tell, this thing is a total rip-off! It allows you to mark your current position, then you can move some distance away and return to the previously marked position...you cannot teleport or interact with anything or your previously marked position will be erased! It's a scam to drain away your resources...DON'T BUY IT!

Or to do fetch quests. I used it extensively when farming one of the hearts in Kourna.

It can also be used on those adventures, such as the ones in this festival, to get to a kite almost immediately. You know, like the one at the tower/scaffolding by the start which shaves off like 20 sec. Shhhh!

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Or to do fetch quests. I used it extensively when farming one of the hearts in Kourna.

It can also be used on those adventures, such as the ones in this festival, to get to a kite almost immediately. You know, like the one at the tower/scaffolding by the start which shaves off like 20 sec. Shhhh!

I haven't been there yet. When I do get there I'll remember what you said...Thanks, Ayrilana!

@GW Noob.6038 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:It’s really useful for jumping puzzles for us jump impaired players.

Ah...see? I don't ever do jumping puzzles - I avoid them both consciously and subconsciously...that's why it never occurred to me. I might give them a try, though, just to see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up!

It has some limitations since you have to remember to set it and occasionally wait on the cooldown but it makes a big difference and takes a lot of the frustration out when you know you can pop back up if you miss a jump and land on the ground below.

As others have mentioned, this is extremely useful for Jumping Puzzles. Ever since I got the rewinder Chalice of Tears is a walk in a park. Its also useful in specific farming spots. For example in Istan where Im farming Sunspear Caches, I go to a high ground, drop rewinder and then griffon or glide down to the chest location, pick it up and rewind back. This way I avoid fighting trash mobs.

@GW Noob.6038 said:I just bought a Prototype Position Rewinder in the Sandswept Isles for 175,000 karma + 75 Difluorite Crystals...as far as I can tell, this thing is a total rip-off! It allows you to mark your current position, then you can move some distance away and return to the previously marked position...you cannot teleport or interact with anything or your previously marked position will be erased! It's a scam to drain away your resources...DON'T BUY IT!

A scam? Nonsense! That is the best item ever sold by a heart vendor in the game. A personal portal that allow any class to use a mesmer portal whenever they need to. The only limitations this thing has is that you can't port other people with you and it only last 30 seconds. However with it you can:

• Update your marked location on the fly at any moment by pressing 1 (You don't have to wait for the previously marked location to expire to set a new one like you have to with the mesmer portal).
  • Use it mid-air. You don't have to land somewhere safe first and then use the portal.
  • As long as it is within the 30 second timer, you can drop it, go back to your weapons skills (if you have to kill a mob or something for example) then equip it again and use the portal.

It's EXTREMELY useful for Jumping Puzzles, but can also be used for exploration and fetch quest (as other people mentioned).

@GW Noob.6038 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:It’s really useful for jumping puzzles for us jump impaired players.

Ah...see? I don't ever do jumping puzzles - I avoid them both consciously and subconsciously...that's why it never occurred to me. I might give them a try, though, just to see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up!

It's the only reason I bought it. There is one jump near the end of Morgan's Leap that always gives me issues. I needed to get to that JP for a collection during Wintersday, and I used the PPR to set a point, and when I missed the jump, just ported back, waited the 30 seconds or so cooldown, and tried again. Took me 7 tries before getting it, and had I been required to start that JP from scratch each time, I would have put my head through the monitor.

The number of times I fell off things in the Not So Secret JP without that gizmo, and found that the little pit of water was not below me...(1)

My own general advice for JPs is that for any except Portmatt's, Staff Daredevil is the way to go. (Portmatt's Lab, to give it its full name, is a JP where not only do you not need to jump, but it is in fact impossible to jump, since the entire puzzle is underwater. It is, nevertheless, a jumping puzzle. I'd generally recommend something less squishy than Daredevil for Portmatt's.)

(1) Meaning that I, in the unerringly evocative words of the Quake 3 combat log, "cratered", that is, died of falling damage...

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Or to do fetch quests. I used it extensively when farming one of the hearts in Kourna.

Now that's a use I hadn't thought of. Does anyone know if it's possible to use it for the Hungry Hal achievement (which I never did because it seemed boring)? Or does it have a range or timer that stops you from going far enough?

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

Now that's a use I hadn't thought of. Does anyone know if it's possible to use it for the Hungry Hal achievement (which I never did because it seemed boring)? Or does it have a range or timer that stops you from going far enough?

Should be able to as it’s no different than the heart which I was picking up and delivering bundles.

Well kitten, that's a forum post 2 months too late for me :(

There is no range limit, but there is a 30 sec time limit and (iirc) you can't use a waypoint. Already having mounts should make it more bearable, I think...

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Should be able to as it’s no different than the heart which I was picking up and delivering bundles.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:There is no range limit, but there is a 30 sec time limit and (iirc) you can't use a waypoint. Already having mounts should make it more bearable, I think...

Thanks for the replies, I'll give it a go!

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Already having mounts should make it more bearable, I think...

There's an ursine mount? That would really make it more...(I'm in town all week; two shows on Sunday.)

Better than a bareable mount? Although I’m sure a bareable mount would sell like hot cakes in the gemstore.

Archived