Elite spec ideas for 3rd Xpac

Mediahead.3542

Hey all, so I'm super excited to be having a new expansion on the way and I've been thinking a lot about what could happen with the Elite Specializations and what I'd like to play. Mostly I've been focusing on the Necromancer so far because I've been playing a lot of Necro lately so that's just what's been on my mind.

I did write down a whole blog post covering my idea for the Necromancer Elite which I'll link here: https://uniquelysamuel.wordpress.com/2020/05/23/gw2-necromancer-idea-again/

But the simple gist is that we could take the Ranger Juvenile Pets and allow Necromancers to corrupt them with undead magic (not unlike the Afflicted from GW1 or the Risen from Orr) turning these juvenile pets into individually weaker corrupted versions of themselves that you could duplicate multiple times. I'm a huge fan of symmetry and the idea of running around with an army of IDENTICAL minions is really attractive to me. For example you could run around with 5 Tigers (1 dedicated to just heal you from it's own health bar, 3 for Utility, and 1 for Elite) but of course they would not be nearly as powerful as Ranger Pet Tigers since that would just be overkill.

In my blog post I took the time to write up a list of Traits, Shroud details, and more explanation on how the Corrupted Pet mechanic could work, as well as the idea of using an Off-Hand Axe as the new weapon. I'd love to see what you guys think of these ideas and if anyone else wants to be able to corrupt living things into undead minions! I feel that would make the Necromancer REALLY feel necromantic lol.

Thanks all!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I want a support thief espec called "Trickster" :) Thiefs gain the ability to steal boons from foes (f1 skill) filling up a bar (like druid and celestial avatar) until it is full. Then they can give boons to allies with f2 skill. But they can't grand all boons. Instead they can switch between 3 types of boons: utility (alacrity, swiftness, ...), survival (regeneration, aegis, ...) and offensive (might, fury,...). They switch via f3, f4 and f5 skills. I don't know if it would be better to let them freely switch in combat or if they need to be out of combat to switch. If they can switch in combat, the bar empties when they do.Some of their utility skills fill the bar as well: they gain "trickster" abilities, tricking foes to dispossess them of their boons. Other trickster abilities convert conditions a foe suffers from into boons so the thief can steal them afterwards. The weapon will either be a focus or a warhorn.

@"VocalThought.9835" said:Came up with similar ideas in another post.

Warrior-1) Berserker with a Torch, Rage skills and Berserker mode which gives new Berserker Bursts abilities.2) Spell Breaker with dual Daggers, Meditations, and Full Counters mechanic that absorbs and counter attacks surrounding foes.3) Warlord with Melee Staff, hired Recruits, and Marks to aid allies on the battlefield.4) Champion with a main hand Shield, Punishment abilities that weakens or leaves foes vulnerable, and Protection mechanic, gives a barrier and tethers to allies, to absorb damage.*5) Ravager with dual Pistols, Traps, and Ravage Burst mechanic which provides more of an area effect damage.

Guardian-1) Dragonhunter with Long Bows, Traps, and the ability turn their Virtues into Physical Constructs.2) Firebrands with a main hand Axe, Mantras, and changes their Virtues in to Tomes of several spells.3) Archon with an off hand Sword, glyphs, and the ability to attune to a Virtue at a time.4) Summoner with a War Horn, Summon mythical creatures for aid, and convert Virtues into Virtuous Pets*5) Mystic with main hand Focus, Arcane Spells, and Virtuous Burst abilities.

Revenant-1) Hearld with a Shield, conjuring Dragon abilities, and able to tap into the Dragon Legend to buff them and their allies.2) Renegade with Short Bow, able to summon spiritual combatants, and harness a Legendary Warrior's ability to command ancient forces and charging your allies for battle.3) Overlord with dual Scepters, able to summon minions from the mist, and Over Charge their connection to their attune legend.4) Mist Walker with dual Pistols, the ability to use the mist offensive and defensively, and Merge Legend abilities.*5) Rift Slayer with a Great Sword, and able to cast dimensional spells, and the timely ability to open or close a dimensional gate.

Ranger1) Druid with a Staff, glyphs, and the ability to turn into a Celestial Avatar2) Soulbeast with a main hand Dagger, combat stances, and the ability to take in the spirit of their pet granting them animalistic abilities.3) Shaman with a off hand Focus, summoning Totems that buff them and their allies, and having the ability to merge into their pet, having all of their pets' abilities.4) Warden with an off hand Shield, summoning herds and commanding nature to do their bidding, along with controlling 2 pets at the same time.*5) Wanderer with a Hammer, having shouts to stifle their foes, and can summon random pets for a brief moment of time.

Engineer1) Scrapper with a Hammer, having mechanical Gyros that place wells at their destruction, and a personal gyro that revive an ally or finish a foe.2) Holosmith with a main hand Sword, the ability to conjure hard light, and the ability to Exceed their normal light abilities before they overheat.3) Machinist- with a main hand Mace, they can create gear for them and their allies, and their new mechanic allows them to use their gears to assemble into a Battle Mech.4) Technomancer with a Great Sword, and Physical Cybertronics abilities, and Mana that alters their Cybrotronics.*5) Med Tech with an off hand Focus, Preparation skills, along with Biomatrix mechanic for buffing them and their allies.

Thief1) Daredevil with a Melee Staff, Physical Skills for attacking foes, and offensive and defensive Dodge abilities.2) Deadeye with a Rifle, cantrips for manipulating foes, and a Deadeye Mark and Malice mechanic to cause extra damage to marked targets.3) Inquisitor with a Torch, Survival Skills to allude foes or buff abilities, and an Intuition mechanic that uses the initiative as a bonus to combat.4) Reaver with dual Maces, summoning their Thieves Guild to aid in combat, and their Steal abilities a Counter in combat.*5) Shadow Mage with an off hand Focus, Arcane Shadow spells, and can summon a Shadow Thief to steal from a distance.

Elementalist1) Tempest with a War Horn and Shouts to command the weather and elements, and the ability to Overcharge their attunements, cause mass devastation in their wake.2) Weaver with a main hand sword, combat Stances to manipulate the elements, and the ability to control two separate elements at the same time.3) Magus with a main hand Focus, able to cast Consecration Spells, and the ability to Sub-attune, granting the benefits of other elements, while no longer able to swap attunements.4) Rune Master with a Long Bow, able to cast Elemental Wells, and Mark the ground with elemental symbols when they attune, buffing allies and damaging foes.*5) Arcanist with an off hand Scepter, the ability use Mantras, and attune to a 5th Element "the Arcane"

Mesmer1) Chronomancer with a Shield, Wells to control time, and a new mechanic Continuum Split, so they can go back in time.2) Mirage with a main hand Axe, Deception spells, and a Mirage Cloak that allows them to evade attacks without even moving.3) Enchanter with a Short Bow, enchanting Shouts, with their Shatter Skills having new abilities, making their clones Enchantments, buffing the allies close by instead of damaging foes.4) Psionic with a main hand Pistol, Sabotage skills work like Cantrips, and they have only have one Clone at a time but can be treated as 3 clones in 1.*5) Conjurer with dual Daggers, that can Summon illusionary beasts that later turns to clones, and conjure 5 clones instead of 3, but the shatter ability only effects foes around the caster.

Necromancer1) Reaper with Great Sword, Shouts that frighten their opponents, and a Reaper Shroud for close combat.2) Scourge with a Torch, Punishment abilities that torment and corrupt, and summons Shades to damaging foes close by.3) Diabolist with a Hammer, able to cast Tricks that damage foes, and can transform into a Demon Shroud.4) Death Stalker with a Rifle, Traps, and Stalking Spirits mechanics that can revive an ally or finish a foe.*5) Warlock with a off hand Shield, Glyphs, and a new mechanic that turns their life force into a Burst depending on their main hand weapon.

Not exactly like yours, but new ideas non the less.

Awesome. Just awesome.

Have any of you ever saw how is the monk class in D&D Online? well is a monk it fight with the fist but the intersting part is that class change attunements between Earth, Wind, Fire and Water, just like the elementalist on GW2 do, i would love to see something like that on GW2 cause i know it can be awesome

@artharon.9276 said:

@"VocalThought.9835" said:Came up with similar ideas in another post.

Warrior-1) Berserker with a Torch, Rage skills and Berserker mode which gives new Berserker Bursts abilities.2) Spell Breaker with dual Daggers, Meditations, and Full Counters mechanic that absorbs and counter attacks surrounding foes.
3) Warlord with Melee Staff, hired Recruits, and Marks to aid allies on the battlefield.
4) Champion with a main hand Shield, Punishment abilities that weakens or leaves foes vulnerable, and Protection mechanic, gives a barrier and tethers to allies, to absorb damage.*5) Ravager with dual Pistols, Traps, and Ravage Burst mechanic which provides more of an area effect damage.

Guardian-1) Dragonhunter with Long Bows, Traps, and the ability turn their Virtues into Physical Constructs.2) Firebrands with a main hand Axe, Mantras, and changes their Virtues in to Tomes of several spells.
3) Archon with an off hand Sword, glyphs, and the ability to attune to a Virtue at a time.
4) Summoner with a War Horn, Summon mythical creatures for aid, and convert Virtues into Virtuous Pets*5) Mystic with main hand Focus, Arcane Spells, and Virtuous Burst abilities.

Revenant-1) Hearld with a Shield, conjuring Dragon abilities, and able to tap into the Dragon Legend to buff them and their allies.2) Renegade with Short Bow, able to summon spiritual combatants, and harness a Legendary Warrior's ability to command ancient forces and charging your allies for battle.
3) Overlord with dual Scepters, able to summon minions from the mist, and Over Charge their connection to their attune legend.
4) Mist Walker with dual Pistols, the ability to use the mist offensive and defensively, and Merge Legend abilities.*5) Rift Slayer with a Great Sword, and able to cast dimensional spells, and the timely ability to open or close a dimensional gate.

Ranger1) Druid with a Staff, glyphs, and the ability to turn into a Celestial Avatar2) Soulbeast with a main hand Dagger, combat stances, and the ability to take in the spirit of their pet granting them animalistic abilities.
3) Shaman with a off hand Focus, summoning Totems that buff them and their allies, and having the ability to merge into their pet, having all of their pets' abilities.
4) Warden with an off hand Shield, summoning herds and commanding nature to do their bidding, along with controlling 2 pets at the same time.*5) Wanderer with a Hammer, having shouts to stifle their foes, and can summon random pets for a brief moment of time.

Engineer1) Scrapper with a Hammer, having mechanical Gyros that place wells at their destruction, and a personal gyro that revive an ally or finish a foe.2) Holosmith with a main hand Sword, the ability to conjure hard light, and the ability to Exceed their normal light abilities before they overheat.
3) Machinist- with a main hand Mace, they can create gear for them and their allies, and their new mechanic allows them to use their gears to assemble into a Battle Mech.
4) Technomancer with a Great Sword, and Physical Cybertronics abilities, and Mana that alters their Cybrotronics.*5) Med Tech with an off hand Focus, Preparation skills, along with Biomatrix mechanic for buffing them and their allies.

Thief1) Daredevil with a Melee Staff, Physical Skills for attacking foes, and offensive and defensive Dodge abilities.2) Deadeye with a Rifle, cantrips for manipulating foes, and a Deadeye Mark and Malice mechanic to cause extra damage to marked targets.
3) Inquisitor with a Torch, Survival Skills to allude foes or buff abilities, and an Intuition mechanic that uses the initiative as a bonus to combat.
4) Reaver with dual Maces, summoning their Thieves Guild to aid in combat, and their Steal abilities a Counter in combat.*5) Shadow Mage with an off hand Focus, Arcane Shadow spells, and can summon a Shadow Thief to steal from a distance.

Elementalist1) Tempest with a War Horn and Shouts to command the weather and elements, and the ability to Overcharge their attunements, cause mass devastation in their wake.2) Weaver with a main hand sword, combat Stances to manipulate the elements, and the ability to control two separate elements at the same time.
3) Magus with a main hand Focus, able to cast Consecration Spells, and the ability to Sub-attune, granting the benefits of other elements, while no longer able to swap attunements.
4) Rune Master with a Long Bow, able to cast Elemental Wells, and Mark the ground with elemental symbols when they attune, buffing allies and damaging foes.*5) Arcanist with an off hand Scepter, the ability use Mantras, and attune to a 5th Element "the Arcane"

Mesmer1) Chronomancer with a Shield, Wells to control time, and a new mechanic Continuum Split, so they can go back in time.2) Mirage with a main hand Axe, Deception spells, and a Mirage Cloak that allows them to evade attacks without even moving.
3) Enchanter with a Short Bow, enchanting Shouts, with their Shatter Skills having new abilities, making their clones Enchantments, buffing the allies close by instead of damaging foes.
4) Psionic with a main hand Pistol, Sabotage skills work like Cantrips, and they have only have one Clone at a time but can be treated as 3 clones in 1.*5) Conjurer with dual Daggers, that can Summon illusionary beasts that later turns to clones, and conjure 5 clones instead of 3, but the shatter ability only effects foes around the caster.

Necromancer1) Reaper with Great Sword, Shouts that frighten their opponents, and a Reaper Shroud for close combat.2) Scourge with a Torch, Punishment abilities that torment and corrupt, and summons Shades to damaging foes close by.
3) Diabolist with a Hammer, able to cast Tricks that damage foes, and can transform into a Demon Shroud.
4) Death Stalker with a Rifle, Traps, and Stalking Spirits mechanics that can revive an ally or finish a foe.*5) Warlock with a off hand Shield, Glyphs, and a new mechanic that turns their life force into a Burst depending on their main hand weapon.

Awesome. Just awesome.

Thanks. I hoped my concept were easy to understand. I basically tried to tie in each professions to another so you could get the feel of a secondary class.

• 2 weeks later...

With Cantha in mind, quick rundown:

• Elementalist: Skyfire - Longbow and Wells. Accompanied by an elemental pet.
  • Mesmer: Dreamcatcher - Shortbow and Shouts. Makes clones of enemies instead of himself.
  • Necromancer: Apothecary - Pistols and Elixirs. Shroud replaced by Plague Bombs.
  • Engineer: Monk - Staff and Mantras.
  • Ranger: Bulwark - Shield and Venoms. Deploys multiple pets at once.
  • Thief: Assassin - Greatsword and Stances.
  • Guardian: Ritualist - Relic (new weapon type) and Spirits (turrets). Virtues replaced by weapon spells.
  • Revenant: Stargazer - Greatsword and Minions (Celestial creatures).
  • Warrior: Dreadnought - Pistols and Mines (traps). Burst replaced by explosives.

Could get into more detail but they're still a work in progress.

Here's 27 complete ideas I posted a few years ago: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/38383/expansions-3-4-and-5-ideas-for-27-new-elite-specializations (bit outdated, but still)

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:Why people focus so much on the weapon when thinking about the concept of e-spec elude me.

Some people just use new elite specs as an excuse to get weapons they want for their profession, because Arenanet probably will never add more core weapons, despite some classes (the front runner being Engineer) needing some.In short, many people don't actually want Elite Specs, but more weapons.

I still hope they do some day, specially if they introduce new weapon types :I.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

@VocalThought.9835 said:Came up with similar ideas in another post.

Warrior-1) Berserker with a Torch, Rage skills and Berserker mode which gives new Berserker Bursts abilities.2) Spell Breaker with dual Daggers, Meditations, and Full Counters mechanic that absorbs and counter attacks surrounding foes.
3) Warlord with Melee Staff, hired Recruits, and Marks to aid allies on the battlefield.
4) Champion with a main hand Shield, Punishment abilities that weakens or leaves foes vulnerable, and Protection mechanic, gives a barrier and tethers to allies, to absorb damage.*5) Ravager with dual Pistols, Traps, and Ravage Burst mechanic which provides more of an area effect damage.

Guardian-1) Dragonhunter with Long Bows, Traps, and the ability turn their Virtues into Physical Constructs.2) Firebrands with a main hand Axe, Mantras, and changes their Virtues in to Tomes of several spells.
3) Archon with an off hand Sword, glyphs, and the ability to attune to a Virtue at a time.
4) Summoner with a War Horn, Summon mythical creatures for aid, and convert Virtues into Virtuous Pets*5) Mystic with main hand Focus, Arcane Spells, and Virtuous Burst abilities.

Revenant-1) Hearld with a Shield, conjuring Dragon abilities, and able to tap into the Dragon Legend to buff them and their allies.2) Renegade with Short Bow, able to summon spiritual combatants, and harness a Legendary Warrior's ability to command ancient forces and charging your allies for battle.
3) Overlord with dual Scepters, able to summon minions from the mist, and Over Charge their connection to their attune legend.
4) Mist Walker with dual Pistols, the ability to use the mist offensive and defensively, and Merge Legend abilities.*5) Rift Slayer with a Great Sword, and able to cast dimensional spells, and the timely ability to open or close a dimensional gate.

Ranger1) Druid with a Staff, glyphs, and the ability to turn into a Celestial Avatar2) Soulbeast with a main hand Dagger, combat stances, and the ability to take in the spirit of their pet granting them animalistic abilities.
3) Shaman with a off hand Focus, summoning Totems that buff them and their allies, and having the ability to merge into their pet, having all of their pets' abilities.
4) Warden with an off hand Shield, summoning herds and commanding nature to do their bidding, along with controlling 2 pets at the same time.*5) Wanderer with a Hammer, having shouts to stifle their foes, and can summon random pets for a brief moment of time.

Engineer1) Scrapper with a Hammer, having mechanical Gyros that place wells at their destruction, and a personal gyro that revive an ally or finish a foe.2) Holosmith with a main hand Sword, the ability to conjure hard light, and the ability to Exceed their normal light abilities before they overheat.
3) Machinist- with a main hand Mace, they can create gear for them and their allies, and their new mechanic allows them to use their gears to assemble into a Battle Mech.
4) Technomancer with a Great Sword, and Physical Cybertronics abilities, and Mana that alters their Cybrotronics.*5) Med Tech with an off hand Focus, Preparation skills, along with Biomatrix mechanic for buffing them and their allies.

Thief1) Daredevil with a Melee Staff, Physical Skills for attacking foes, and offensive and defensive Dodge abilities.2) Deadeye with a Rifle, cantrips for manipulating foes, and a Deadeye Mark and Malice mechanic to cause extra damage to marked targets.
3) Inquisitor with a Torch, Survival Skills to allude foes or buff abilities, and an Intuition mechanic that uses the initiative as a bonus to combat.
4) Reaver with dual Maces, summoning their Thieves Guild to aid in combat, and their Steal abilities a Counter in combat.*5) Shadow Mage with an off hand Focus, Arcane Shadow spells, and can summon a Shadow Thief to steal from a distance.

Elementalist1) Tempest with a War Horn and Shouts to command the weather and elements, and the ability to Overcharge their attunements, cause mass devastation in their wake.2) Weaver with a main hand sword, combat Stances to manipulate the elements, and the ability to control two separate elements at the same time.
3) Magus with a main hand Focus, able to cast Consecration Spells, and the ability to Sub-attune, granting the benefits of other elements, while no longer able to swap attunements.
4) Rune Master with a Long Bow, able to cast Elemental Wells, and Mark the ground with elemental symbols when they attune, buffing allies and damaging foes.*5) Arcanist with an off hand Scepter, the ability use Mantras, and attune to a 5th Element "the Arcane"

Mesmer1) Chronomancer with a Shield, Wells to control time, and a new mechanic Continuum Split, so they can go back in time.2) Mirage with a main hand Axe, Deception spells, and a Mirage Cloak that allows them to evade attacks without even moving.
3) Enchanter with a Short Bow, enchanting Shouts, with their Shatter Skills having new abilities, making their clones Enchantments, buffing the allies close by instead of damaging foes.
4) Psionic with a main hand Pistol, Sabotage skills work like Cantrips, and they have only have one Clone at a time but can be treated as 3 clones in 1.*5) Conjurer with dual Daggers, that can Summon illusionary beasts that later turns to clones, and conjure 5 clones instead of 3, but the shatter ability only effects foes around the caster.

Necromancer1) Reaper with Great Sword, Shouts that frighten their opponents, and a Reaper Shroud for close combat.2) Scourge with a Torch, Punishment abilities that torment and corrupt, and summons Shades to damaging foes close by.
3) Diabolist with a Hammer, able to cast Tricks that damage foes, and can transform into a Demon Shroud.
4) Death Stalker with a Rifle, Traps, and Stalking Spirits mechanics that can revive an ally or finish a foe.*5) Warlock with a off hand Shield, Glyphs, and a new mechanic that turns their life force into a Burst depending on their main hand weapon.

Awesome. Just awesome.

Thanks. I hoped my concept were easy to understand. I basically tried to tie in each professions to another so you could get the feel of a secondary class.

That's what all elite specializations should feel like, imo. Check my profession redesign threads, you might like them:

Elementalist - Mesmer - Necromancer - Engineer - Ranger - Thief - Guardian - Revenant - Warrior

@Lonami.2987 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:Some people just use new elite specs as an excuse to get weapons they want for their profession, because Arenanet probably will never add more core weapons, despite some classes (the front runner being Engineer) needing some.In short, many people don't actually want Elite Specs, but more weapons.I still hope they do some day, specially if they introduce new weapon types.

I still want more weapons, like nearly everyone else.But since Arenanet can't even bring spears on land, which already have skins, I doubt they'll ever introduce new weapons, **which do not even have skins.It's more like that Arenanet will shoehorn weapon types as skin onto existing weapon types spear and scythes are in the staff category, while great axe skins might be for hammers).

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:Some people just use new elite specs as an excuse to get weapons they want for their profession, because Arenanet probably will never add more core weapons, despite some classes (the front runner being Engineer) needing some.In short, many people don't actually want Elite Specs, but more weapons.I still hope they do some day, specially if they introduce new weapon types.

I still want more weapons, like nearly everyone else.But since Arenanet can't even bring spears on land, which already have skins, I doubt they'll ever introduce new weapons, **which do not even have skins.It's more like that Arenanet will shoehorn weapon types as skin onto existing weapon types spear and scythes are in the staff category, while great axe skins might be for hammers).

I actually like the idea of shoe horning weapons as skins instead of creating a new weapon type. Like having a crossbow skin used for rifle or pistol, or cestus skin for a shield, or a trident skin for a staff. It's really pointless to add new weapons all that truely matters is the animations. I don't have a problem with having a Hammer that skin looks like a great axe.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

I actually like the idea of shoe horning weapons as skins instead of creating a new weapon type. Like having a crossbow skin used for rifle or pistol, or cestus skin for a shield, or a trident skin for a staff. It's really pointless to add new weapons all that truely matters is the animations. I don't have a problem with having a Hammer that skin looks like a great axe.

I feel like Caesti would fit better as Focus skins than shields.That'd also let Guardian or Warrior have dual "Caesti" for a hypothetical Brawler elite spec.

@Fueki.4753 said:

I feel like Caesti would fit better as Focus skins than shields.That'd also let Guardian or Warrior have dual "Caesti" for a hypothetical Brawler elite spec.

If you look at the current skills for Shield, you'll see that Shield is actually a better weapon for a cestus skin, especially for Warriors.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

If you look at the current skills for Shield, you'll see that Shield is actually a better weapon for a cestus skin, especially for Warriors.

I wouldn't want to have a single block skill on my Caesti.I'd rather have dual Shields, if I want to block.

@Fueki.4753 said:

I wouldn't want to have a single block skill on my Caesti.I'd rather have dual Shields, if I want to block.

So out of 5 skills, 2 of them being a block or defensive ability, you would pass if they made warrior use main hand shied with a cestus skin?

@"Lonami.2987" said:

• Engineer: Monk - Staff and Mantras.

How did you come up with that idea? Monks in Tyria have been a magical profession using holy powers to heal allies and smite enemies.How does that have any thematical connection with the engineer? How do you envision them to play out here?

I can see engineer taking the spot of the previous monks by using modern medicine, but I definitely wouldn't call that spec "monks" and also wouldn't give them mantras of all things as utility skills....Some insight how you came up with that idea would be wonderful.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

So out of 5 skills, 2 of them being a block or defensive ability, you would pass if they made warrior use main hand shied with a cestus skin?

If Warriors was to get a main hand shield, I'd definitely want it to be a door or a massive plate of dim, grey metal, not a Caestus.And it's animations should be done by pushing the shield against foes, not by punching enemies.

@Fueki.4753 said:

If Warriors was to get a main hand shield, I'd definitely want it to be a door or a massive plate of dim, grey metal, not a Caestus.And it's animations should be done by pushing the shield against foes, not by punching enemies.

So all 3 abilities would be pushing?

@Fueki.4753 said:

That wouldn't work because a big part of the target audience for greataxes can already use hammers. Same for scythes, their target audience can already use staves. They need to be new weapon types for a mechanical reason.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

What if your target greataxe user can already use hammer? Would you remove hammer weapon skills to introduce the new greataxe weapon skills? The game needs more variety, not less.

@Kodama.6453 said:

• Engineer:
    Monk
    - Staff and Mantras.

How did you come up with that idea? Monks in Tyria have been a magical profession using holy powers to heal allies and smite enemies.How does that have any thematical connection with the engineer? How do you envision them to play out here?

I can see engineer taking the spot of the previous monks by using modern medicine, but I definitely wouldn't call that spec "monks" and also wouldn't give them mantras of all things as utility skills....Some insight how you came up with that idea would be wonderful.

Monks learned to use modern technology, end of story. The gods aren't around anymore, so normal prayers aren't as efficient as before, forcing them to evolve into "modern medics", so to speak. Prayers and magic are still around, but they're secondary to science. Classic monk arts proved to be useless against the plague back in GW1, so they had no option other than to research and evolve, specially when the Am Fah started developing their own plagues as well (this is reflected by the Apothecary elite specialization for the necromancer).

Unlike Tyria, where monks merged with ritualists and evolved into the guardian, a heavy armored class wielding swords and sields, Canthan monks stayed true to their origins, embracing new tools that combine magic with technology. Nowadays, modern monks are able to deal with plagues, magical or natural, working as shock troopers who can cleanse a zone in a matter of minutes.

Some lore: Most monks would be connected to the Sai ling Order, ancient stewards of Tahnnakai Temple. Many of their members were slaughtered during Shiro's attack, and they have a strong relationship with the Ministry of Purity, which paved the way for their militarization. Over the years, the faith of the Six Gods dimmed, and worship of ancestors and celestials became more popular, giving the order even more power, specially against other minor plague incidents. Nowadays, they're one of Cantha's strongest political and military organizations, a full-blown church with thousands of fervent followers.

They're still monks, and they still live at monasteries, but now they wield guns and wear gas masks, instead of swords and shields.

@"Lonami.2987" said:

Monks learned to use modern technology, end of story. The gods aren't around anymore, so normal prayers aren't as efficient as before, forcing them to evolve into "modern medics", so to speak. Prayers and magic are still around, but they're secondary to science. Classic monk arts proved to be useless against the plague back in GW1, so they had no option other than to research and evolve, specially when the Am Fah started developing their own plagues as well (this is reflected by the Apothecary elite specialization for the necromancer).

Unlike Tyria, where monks merged with ritualists and evolved into the guardian, a heavy armored class wielding swords and sields, Canthan monks stayed true to their origins, embracing new tools that combine magic with technology. Nowadays, modern monks are able to deal with plagues, magical or natural, working as shock troopers who can cleanse a zone in a matter of minutes.

Some lore: Most monks would be connected to the Sai ling Order, ancient stewards of Tahnnakai Temple. Many of their members were slaughtered during Shiro's attack, and they have a strong relationship with the Ministry of Purity, which paved the way for their militarization. Over the years, the faith of the Six Gods dimmed, and worship of ancestors and celestials became more popular, giving the order even more power, specially against other minor plague incidents. Nowadays, they're one of Cantha's strongest political and military organizations, a full-blown church with thousands of fervent followers.

They're still monks, and they still live at monasteries, but now they wield guns and wear gas masks, instead of swords and shields.

At that point, I think it would make more sense to make the engineer elite spec the apothecary, which seems to be a far more fitting name for an engineer elite spec than having a name that has religious/magical relations in the lore like monk.

I guess I just envision the coming engineer elite spec as a thematical counterpart to your necromancer elite spec.You want to create a necromancer elite spec by mixing it with engineer thematics (elixirs and pistols), I would go the way to make an engineer elite spec by mixing in necromancer thematics.

The usage of plague vials, acids, poison gases and other harmful chemicals got investigated by engineers in the past, maybe related with the Am Fah you are mentioning.These thematics could also translate well into some utility skills, like corruptions. The Am Fah were already experimenting on themselves with the plague, experimenting further with diseases and other strange things on their body makes sense. Which would have negative side effects, of course (hence the corruption tack), but unleash powerful skills.

I also think your approach kinda neglects engineers in terms of lore....Instead of there being an own caste of scientists in Cantha which were the ancestors of engineers, you make monks, a class that is historically unrelated to them, "evolve" into engineer by adapting new scientific approaches because they are forced to.

Don't know, I just prefer the thought that there have been scientists in the groups of the Am Fah and others from the beginning, not trained in any magical mambo jambo, but actually applying their scientific ways onto these subjects. Making them engineers from the very beginning, who then evolved into the new caste of apothecaries.

About your point that normal prayers of monks don't work anymore since the gods are not around: This is not how this works. Even if the gods are not around anymore, guardians are still canalising holy magic on their own.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"Lonami.2987" said:

At that point, I think it would make more sense to make the engineer elite spec the apothecary, which seems to be a far more fitting name for an engineer elite spec than having a name that has religious/magical relations in the lore like monk.

I guess I just envision the coming engineer elite spec as a thematical counterpart to your necromancer elite spec.You want to create a necromancer elite spec by mixing it with engineer thematics (elixirs and pistols), I would go the way to make an engineer elite spec by mixing in necromancer thematics.

The usage of plague vials, acids, poison gases and other harmful chemicals got investigated by engineers in the past, maybe related with the Am Fah you are mentioning.These thematics could also translate well into some utility skills, like corruptions. The Am Fah were already experimenting on themselves with the plague, experimenting further with diseases and other strange things on their body makes sense. Which would have negative side effects, of course (hence the corruption tack), but unleash powerful skills.

I also think your approach kinda neglects engineers in terms of lore....Instead of there being an own caste of scientists in Cantha which were the ancestors of engineers, you make monks, a class that is historically unrelated to them, "evolve" into engineer by adapting new scientific approaches because they are forced to.

Don't know, I just prefer the thought that there have been scientists in the groups of the Am Fah and others from the beginning, not trained in any magical mambo jambo, but actually applying their scientific ways onto these subjects. Making them engineers from the very beginning, who then evolved into the new caste of apothecaries.

About your point that normal prayers of monks don't work anymore since the gods are not around: This is not how this works. Even if the gods are not around anymore, guardians are still canalising holy magic on their own.

Magical plagues are a necromancer thing though, wouldn't make sense to give them to someone else. Necromancers miss a "mad scientist" elite specialization, where you can brew plagues and unleash them against your enemies. The engineer already has elixirs and bombs, it would feel redundant, and the Am Fah don't have the money, the knowledge, or the resources to develop their own technology. Religious and military organizations are the only ones who can afford R&D of new technologies.

There are "technology monks" in many other settings, Warhammer 40.000 being the prime example with the Adeptus Mechanicus. If monks grew into any modern profession (aside from guardian), engineers and elementalists are the most likely. Everyone else just doesn't make any sense, or already have more prominent roles eclipsing any monk connection they could have (thief could work, but assassins have more prevalence).

@"Lonami.2987" said:

Magical plagues are a necromancer thing though, wouldn't make sense to give them to someone else. Necromancers miss a "mad scientist" elite specialization, where you can brew plagues and unleash them against your enemies. The engineer already has elixirs and bombs, it would feel redundant, and the Am Fah don't have the money, the knowledge, or the resources to develop their own technology. Religious and military organizations are the only ones who can afford R&D of new technologies.

There are "technology monks" in many other settings, Warhammer 40.000 being the prime example with the Adeptus Mechanicus. If monks grew into any modern profession (aside from guardian), engineers and elementalists are the most likely. Everyone else just doesn't make any sense, or already have more prominent roles eclipsing any monk connection they could have (thief could work, but assassins have more prevalence).

Creating magical plagues themselves is a necromancer thing.Harnessing magical plagues by isolating them in vials and using them as biological/chemical weapons on the battlefield can very well be an engineer thing.Anet already clarified that engineers are indeed harnessing magic by using technology, so that is nothing unheard of. We would just apply this one on the magical plague of Cantha specifically now.

Also I don't know why you would give a mad scientist thematic to necromancer when engineer clearly should be the mad scientist in this game. Because they are the actual scientists.

I can apply your logic the other way around, too. Giving the necromancer a profession with potions and other physical means to spread plague, like your described plague bombs, doesn't make sense.Because their magical abilities already allow them to create these effects out of thin air. They simply don't need that medium, why do their have to brew plagues in a long process to use them against enemies if they can simply cast a spell and it is immediately there like the skill plaguelands showcases? Engineer on the other hand does need these devices to achieve these effects! Because engineers are not creating magical effects out of nowhere. They are harnessing these effects with tools and then use them at the right time on the battlefield.

Another point to consider: the name apothecary strongly implies a support playstyle. Which is something that necromancers don't need, since they already have scourge. Engineer on the other hand doesn't have a dedicated support elite spec, which makes apothecary also make more sense on them when it comes to gameplay.

I never said that an apothecary interpreted as an engineer does have to use bombs or elixirs, btw. Like I said, they can use corruption skills, thematically injecting dangerous drugs or other substances in the veines of themselves or their allies. Negative side effects will get tolerated for the great benefits these bring. Which just is so appropriate for an Am Fah apothecary, considering that the Am Fah were already infecting themselves with the plague in the past! This would reinforce that lore point they have, applying something that actually harms you to increase your own strength.

But corruptions are not the only way, such a class could also use other utility skills. Like preparations (maybe the apothecary is installing devices on the battlefield to spread fumes, which buff their allies and harm their enemies?) or venoms (different acid coatings, covering blades with diseases, or maybe using simple chemical toxins?), there are many ways for them to work with.

And here another point speaking for apothecary on engineer: Anet removed some thematics from the engineer in the past, most specifically acid related stuff (so, chemical warfare).Acidic elixirs, acid coating, deadly mixture.... these were all traits in alchemy in the past, but got removed when the trait line got reworked.This spec would allow us to reinstall the "mad chemist" thematic in the engineer again, which is something they already did in the past with guardian!Remember that guardians used to have tomes elite skills, which they reworked because they wanted to use them later on the firebrand?We could do the same here. Acids and other harmful chemicals got removed from the engineer, now are brought back thematically with a new apothecary elite spec!

And I don't think that military and religious organisations are the only ones able to afford technology. The Am Fah were a big and influential organisation in Kaineng. And they are criminals, there surely is some criminal way to get the stuff they want to. Even stealing the tools needed for their research, or simply gaining money through other means like drugs and such and then buy what is needed for their research.

Monks also strongly make more sense as guardians, especially if you want to make them evolve in some kind of military organisation. Guardian basically already is a military advanced monk, they draw from the same magical source as monks, but also have studied battle and are now fighting on the frontline with heavy armor and devastating weapons, while igniting hope in the hearts of their allies with their light magic.

@VocalThought.9835 said:Are the people who want new weapon actually want new weapon skills or just want the look?

I guess it is a mix of both.People are still requesting scythe as a weapon, even if we already have multiple scythe skins for staff, because they want the actual combat style that goes with scythes.

However, this is still something that can get achieved by using new skins and then giving a class a weapon type through elite specs with skills fitting for the weapon type people are asking for.I saw chakram and throwing knives mentioned, but this can also easily get achieved by giving mesmer (for example) a new e-spec with daggers as their weapons and then let them use them as throwing knives/chakram.Or the ever requested polearm: they can just give warrior the ability to wield a staff, give their kit a polearm playstyle and release a polearm weapon skin for staves alongside it.

So either way, you can achieve both factors (playstyle and aesthetics) through the weapons already implemented in the game, there is no real need to release more weapons.

@"Kodama.6453" said:However, this is still something that can get achieved by using new skins and then giving a class a weapon type through elite specs with skills fitting for the weapon type people are asking for.I saw chakram and throwing knives mentioned, but this can also easily get achieved by giving mesmer (for example) a new e-spec with daggers as their weapons and then let them use them as throwing knives/chakram.Or the ever requested polearm: they can just give warrior the ability to wield a staff, give their kit a polearm playstyle and release a polearm weapon skin for staves alongside it.

But even then, there's limitations.

Say you make Chakram/Throwing Knives just skins for Daggers.

But what if you idea was for Thief or Ranger to use them? Then this doesn't work because they already can use daggers (And use them as melee weapons so can't really just use the skin and pretend they're throwing actual Chakram/Knives)

Or your other example, Polearm. What if someone's idea was to have Polearm on Guardian, Revenant, Necro or Elementalist? These classes already have Staff but don't use them in a way where someone's idea of Polearm skills would (Necro and Elementalist just hold their staff and cast magic using their left hand...)

This is one aspect that often goes overlooked.

Sure, it's easy enough to give ONE class access to a new weapon and then simply release a skin (Or several) that allows them to essentially use a new weapon type. But what if someone wants to use that weapon type on multiple classes? It's much harder to implement that, unless you start releasing say a Greataxe skin that goes ontop of a Hammer, Staff, Greatsword, Longbow, Shortbow, Rifle etc just so you can add one of these to each class to create the "Greataxe" skills for that class.

In the same instance, ANet would also have to consider current users of the weapon types potentially using the skin and ensure that their skill animations function and make sense too, meaning they may end up having to do work on multiple weapon sets worth of animations if there's some weapon types that are significantly different to these skins just because of needing to use a weapon type X class couldn't already use.

THEN in order to really please people for Fashion Wars, there'd need to be a good selection of Skins available for the weapon. Especially since weapon dyeing isn't a thing, I'm sure a lot of people would be upset if their "Brand new weapon" was limited to just a single skin (Even more so if the animations and design of the skills was made around that weapon skin).

These latter 2 points make it take nearly the same amount of work as just adding in a new weapon type altogether (It just misses out on adding items to the loot pool)

Meaning that such a method really only works when utilizing weapons that function very similarly so as to avoid having to worry about already existing skill animations and skin customization, at which point you can run into the wall of certain classes already being able to use said similar weapons. I.e. The primary candidates for Greataxe, Warrior, Guardian and Revenant, all currently HAVE a Hammer weapon. Or most of the primary candidates for a Polearm weapon, Warrior, Guardian and Revenant, 2 of them already HAVE a Staff weapon (Only Warrior doesn't).