Are true Flying mounts ever gonna come out in Gw2??

I woudln't be against it but I'd never use it.

I don't understand the reasoning but ArenaNet has chosen to go with parkour mounts despite how every other MMO does it and I—personally speaking—couldn't be happier! I love parkour movement. I'd find flying so boring. A part of the joy of exploration is the challenge of movement—anyone who's ever explored a cave network knows that.

If it were easy to move then I wouldn't really see that as exploration so much as just surveying. You'd be a survey drone. Now, survey drones have their place! It's important to gather data quickly. The sense of exploration as a component of wonder, however, is much a luxury and it has a lot to do with your personal experience interacting with the world. Otherwise you might as well just do a survey.

Safety is a factor, naturally, which is why we sometimes survey instead of exploring a place. However, in a fiction where that isn't a concern the joy of motion can be the precedent. Even for a bird, motion isn't a simple matter, there are so many things to consider while flying. ArenaNet has captured that in Guild Wars 2 and I am fond of it.

Thus, I wouldn't be against survey mounts, but I wouldn't use them.

I hope they never add in a free flying mount. Gw2's mount system is perfect, It gives huge improvements to movement while also not invalidating so much of the game like other MMOs do with free flying mounts.The problem with a free flying mount is that everyone just ends up going up into the sky to go from point A to B. This makes all the content below null and makes maps seem barren.

Like others have said, If you want to stay in the air then I suggest learning how to fly the Griffon. :) Griffon can stay in the air indefinitely as long as you dive/pull up every so often and don't hit any walls.

@SinisterSlay.6973 said:Springer has a lower top height than the skyscale and was invalidated.

Springer still reaches that height much faster than the skyscale, so it still has use cases - not invalidated

@SinisterSlay.6973 said:Raptor was invalidated by Beatle for speed, and Griffon, and skyscale for jumping distance.

Roller Beetle barely turns, when at speed and requires flat areas or descending slopes. Raptor's primary intended case is type of terrain where roller beetle wouldn;t do in the first place (jumping over canyons) Griffon doesn't enter the contest in here at all because without being able to get high before trying to make a jump (jumping off the cliffs is already not a raptor thing) may be able to get further than raptor, but it will do at much smaller speed - try to run amnoon race in a griffon and you will see my point, you can also try to do it in a roller beetle for additional points, Skyscale - again is not quite as fast neither over canyons nor on the land.

@SinisterSlay.6973 said:The Wolf thing that I'm having trouble remembering the name of is pointless as it's slow, it's teleport offers nothing skyscale and Griffon don't already provide, and is only useful for a few choice portals in pof and forgotten shortly afterwards.

There are multiple shortcuts through whole pof content that are accessible only on jackal (sand portals), and a number of areas that are available exclusively on jackal. For example when you are doing champion train after dragonfall meta, if you don't use the sand portal to get to he one of bosses, it will be long dead before you get there on skyscale.

just my 2c

EDIT: sorry I didn't notice the timestamp, what's up with all the necroing this week xD

Wasn't it said somewhere when the griffon was released that the devs intention was to not allow for full flight as they thought that players would simply skip past content in maps? That having to land, at some point, was the original idea? If so, I cannot see them changing their philosophy now.

@kharmin.7683 said:Wasn't it said somewhere when the griffon was released that the devs intention was to not allow for full flight as they thought that players would simply skip past content in maps? That having to land, at some point, was the original idea? If so, I cannot see them changing their philosophy now.

They sort of already parted with that idea when they released the Skyscale though.While not giving as much freedom as flying in WoW or FF14, it comes quite close (in my opinion).I don't think Arenanet should go any further in that direction though.

I'd rather have them give us decent amounts of waypoints again, instead of these pitiful amounts we got since PoF.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Wasn't it said somewhere when the griffon was released that the devs intention was to not allow for full flight as they thought that players would simply skip past content in maps? That having to land, at some point, was the original idea? If so, I cannot see them changing their philosophy now.

They sort of already parted with that idea when they released the Skyscale though.While not giving as much freedom as flying in WoW or FF14, it comes quite close (in my opinion).I don't think Arenanet should go any further in that direction though.

I'd rather have them give us decent amounts of waypoints again, instead of these pitiful amounts we got since PoF.

Skyscale whole design upfront was to trying to fit different flavour of flying (hover) into that idea tho.

Unless you are content with just hovering in single spot, you have to land once in a while even with a skyscale.

It would be great if players are rewarded a true flying experience once players reach 100% map completion. For example, 100% in Bloodstone Fen map would reward us true flight but true flight is still disabled on maps not at 100%. This is for not ruining the experience of exploring the area for the first time. Once we experience the entire map, why not have a true flying experience?

@"kamykaze.5904" said:New mount: Hot Air Balloon;

• You can only navigate straight up or down.
  • The environmental winds will guide you through the map.
  • See glittering shinies in the distance, out of reach, wondering what treasures might be hiding inside.
  • Engage in an adventurous collection to acquire your new hot air balloon.
  • Explore Guild Wars 2 like never before.

Have fun exploring, Tyrians!(Beware of stingy critters. Don't let them poke your balloon.)

Oh god please yes.And let the gem store sell a fan and anvil drop upgrade for it. Let's give those elder dragons something they could never expected.

@"mikhail.3506" said:Seriously if there is one thing that is lacking in Gw2 it would be the ability to truly explore freely and the ability to fast travel while seeing the beautiful environments that the developers have created. We have Gliding mounts but I feel like Instead of having to use portals to fast travel, that adding flying mounts would add so much more to the game, in terms of replayability and gameplay wise.

pic9-guild-wars-2.jpg

You should of made a poll on this. Personally, my vote is no, and I feel the majority of the players also feel this way (though of course I have no way of knowing). GW2 has its ups and downs, but one thing this game did right is mounts. The GW2 mount system is the greatest mount system of any mmo ever. One of the aspects that makes these mounts so awesome is the fact that they do have limitations. Those limitations make getting from point A to point B still interesting, vs a game like WoW where you can hop on a flying mount and just put that crap on auto pilot.

Full fly mount is easy to make just need an advantage and disadvantage

For example a very long start up time and landing time.

That way they are not useful for short distance flight and only useful if u intend go far they would be like a way point replacement.

Previously I had wondered the same thing, but now I have realized that I like the way flying mounts currently are in GW2 better. Every time I fly on my skyscale and griffon, it sort of feels like a mini-puzzle to reach greater heights on the skyscale or find the right place to launch off on the griffon to fly at a greater speed. This keeps exploration with flying mounts interesting for me.

I am also over getting new mounts now as we already have a lot of variety in exploration with the mounts that we already have. I would prefer the next expansion to feature something different and refreshing.

FYI, a skyscale with maxed out masteries (including the LWS4 masteries) is basically a full-fledged flying mount. Griffin is basically an Ascended grade mount with Skyscale being Legendary. Honestly, I don't think we need another aerial (or land) mount, and with the difficulty of getting the Skyscale, I doubt we will ever have a "better" flying mount. I think the limitations of each mount are what makes the system fun to begin with, and the variety of engage skills never really making any mount obsolete.

If Anet decided to add another mount the only thing I could really see is a 100% underwater mount that has some kind of mounted combat abilities (instead of just an engage combat ability) and is faster than the underwater skimmer. Mechanically underwater is flying anyway. Just make better combat.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

And then there's the fact that
true
free exploration would still be impossible - you'd be boxed in by the confines of the map. As expansive as those maps are, you'd eventually run into invisible walls, or unexpected loading screens for crossing map boundaries into the
next
map. It'd limit exploration quite a bit.

So? You can already hit those invisible walls without mounts. Just let the people fly up as high as they want and explore.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said, and I even agree with this last bit too. However, I think you being correct about this also indicates why a true-flight mount would be a waste - they wouldn't really add anything. People can already hit the map walls, and even scale most of them with a springer. As you said, other mounts are already invalidated, and they could easily design a flying mount that can still be outperformed by griffon laterally and perhaps the skyscale vertically (if the grip-recharge mastery still allows skyscale to get greater total height).

So if it neither adds or removes anything really of note, why bother at all? As others have already said, skyscale already has ways to refill flight, and some of us learned how to really fly with the griffon on maps that allow for it. just seems like another wasted effort.

My point still stands: We have mounts that arguably already replace other mounts. Skyscale is an easier to use and control springer and can cross the gaps basically just as fast as the Raptor or jackal. The griffon is superseded by the roller beetle over most, if not all terrain with the only exception still requiring the use of a high up spot to dive down. The only mount that didn't really replace any of the prior mounts when added was the warclaw, but that one is a niche mount for WvW and nowhere else.

While the only reason I enjoyed WoW was because of flying mounts, and I quit WoW years ago because of Activision B’s war against flying, I don’t think I care for true flying in GW2. GW2’s mounts are very well done and fun to use. Many maps make excellent use of these mounts. Rather than a system designed to only benefit aerial mounts and invalidate all ground mounts (sighs at the state of Springer because of the Stickyscale), I’d rather see a system that enhances all mounts. Something like, once you map complete a zone, all mounts get 100% faster endurance regeneration and extra endurance. This would benefit almost all mounts. Griffon would actually be able to go up (slowly) since it can flap twice as often. Stickyscale would be able to fly up even higher, making it feel more like a flying mount, though still not a true flying mount. Raptor, Jackal, and the Rollebeetle can dash even more often. For the Springer, the channeling time of its charged jump will be cut in half. For the Skimmer... ???

@"Batel.9206" said:Most likely not, because that would immediately invalidate all other mounts. Why use a raptor to jump across long distances? Just fly over it. Why use a skimmer to go over water? Just fly over it. Why use a springer to jump high? Just fly up to it. Why use a griffon or skyscale at all? Just fly. The only mount that would still be slightly relevant is the rollerbeetle because of its insanely fast speed...but even then you have to carefully navigate around obstacles in the terrain - so you may as well just fly and avoid all the hassle.

And then there's the fact that true free exploration would still be impossible - you'd be boxed in by the confines of the map. As expansive as those maps are, you'd eventually run into invisible walls, or unexpected loading screens for crossing map boundaries into the next map. It'd limit exploration quite a bit.

I agree with you completely. I also play WoW and that flying mount freedom feels like it kinda ruins the game. Maybe it's because the way WoW designs the terrain but there simply is no exploration. You fly in a straight line between point A and point B. You land, do your thing, and then leave.

I enjoy the idea of "It'd be great if I could jump way up there" and then have a mount you can get on your character to achieve that. Once you have true flying mounts all of that is gone. You don't use ground mounts. You don't run or walk. You fly, always. Why wouldn't you? And then, as they did with WoW, inevitably when the devs realize they don't want to develop a flight-based game they have to artificially impose flying mount restrictions in some zones but are also designing for flight some time after release. It all feels forced and just not fun.

I think WoW's flying mounts are a cautionary tale. I say leave the mounts as-is in GW2, more fun in the long run.