Guild Wars vs GW2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Guild Wars vs GW2

eye floater.7140eye floater.7140 Member ✭✭
edited December 21, 2017 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Anyone who has been around since Guild Wars: Have you enjoyed GW2 as much or more than Guild Wars? I don't just mean your hour count, but the experience overall.

Guild Wars vs GW2 261 votes

I enjoyed Guild Wars more than GW2
30% 80 votes
I enjoy GW2 more than Guild Wars
42% 110 votes
I've enjoyed both equally
27% 71 votes
<1

Comments

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

GW1 was and is great, easily one of my favourite games of all time, but overall I prefer GW2. I'm sure I'll forget some, but here's some of the reasons:

I actually like the open-world design. Never bothered me that everything was instanced when I played GW1 but now I miss coming across random players doing their own thing while I'm out exploring. Also the fact that the vast majority of stuff was concentrated in towns and outposts in GW1 meant there was relatively little to find while exploring.

Freedom of movement, and the things Anet have done with it. Again it very rarely bothered me that I couldn't jump or swim in GW1 (and when it did it was more reaching the edge of the map and still wanting to know what was beyond it that bothered me than the specific mechanics used to make it a boundary). But I love exploring, and jumping, swimming and more recently gliding and mounts open up so many more options. Especially when Anet add things like jumping puzzles. secret hidden spots and hard to reach NPCs who will tell you off for what you had to do to speak to them (Sally in Harathi Hinterlands for example, and a guy in Crystal Oasis who tells you not to damage the roofs with your raptor).

It's nice to be able to sort my inventory out anywhere. In GW1 even if I had carried an ID kit and salvage kit with me (which I didn't) I'd still have to wait until I returned to a town to deposit the materials and sell to a merchant, and anything I wanted to sell to players had to wait until I had the time and inclination to stand in a major town spamming chat with "WTS" messages. In GW2 I can sell to players instantly from anywhere via the TP, salvage what's left and deposit the materials instantly and even in the most remote areas there will be a merchant nearby to sell whatever's left to.

More character customisation. GW1 had a lot of customisation for it's time, especially compared to other games I'd played. The fact that all armour styles, even starter armour, were available with max stats, there was a wide range to choose from and they were all dyable meant I could actually choose what characters wore instead of putting them in whatever had the best stats and just accepting how it looked, even mixing and matching sets thanks to the majority of stats coming from runes and insignia. (I always thought it was a shame that so many people just picked a set of elite armour, dyed it black and called it done.) But GW2 blows it out of the water. I'm pretty sure there's more armour sets available to each character, and the wardrobe and transmutation system makes customising them even easier. GW1 actually had a great dye system where you mixed dyes in the preview window to create custom colours but it was complicated and potentially expensive to use, especially with each dye being single-use. GW2s system allows for a lot more experimentation to find just the right colours for each piece. (And of course there's more dye channels.)

This is going to be a controversial one but I feel like the absence of Henchmen and Heroes makes people more willing to group up, or maybe I'm just in better guilds. Early on in GW1 people would sometimes agree to help you with something if the henchmen builds were deemed inappropriate for that quest/mission. After Nightfall came out if I asked for help and said I couldn't do it with heroes I'd be sent links to find better hero builds. If I said I didn't want to do it with heroes and wanted actual people in my party I'd be told it was "more efficient" with heroes and to get used to it.

"Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

• I think Guild Wars was essentially 2 very different games. There was pre-Heroes Guild Wars, which was a very co-op game, and there was post-Heroes Guild Wars, which was a single-player game, for the most part.

There are things I miss about Guild Wars; but there are things I would not want to give up in Guild Wars 2. Actually, again, 2 very different games. Both games quite enjoyable.

• Torolan.5816Torolan.5816 Member ✭✭✭

*I am still speechless how a titan of fantasy literature like Jeff Grubb could have agreed to take part in the convoluted mess that GW2 calls a story after LS1.
    *The skill aquisition of GW1 was a piece of art, nothing less. I am pretty astounded that people did not ask more for it here as it would be a very good measure of testing skill instead of equipment(Whoever has the X skill has managed to defeat Y). and it was actual fun to get them for both explorers, collectors and min-maxers.
    *I could have very, very, very well have lived on without jumping and swimming. Both only lead to horrible invisible wall experiences, dizzyness bcause of the lack of perception and balance you suffer through a new view and pathetic tries to jump over a bucket wide hole in the earth, still fall and die a well deserved death.

GW2 has some very nice ideas, but GW1 beats it easily in the categories I like. I would probably still play it if it would be updated regularly.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Torolan.5816 said:
    *The skill aquisition of GW1 was a piece of art, nothing less. I am pretty astounded that people did not ask more for it here as it would be a very good measure of testing skill instead of equipment(Whoever has the X skill has managed to defeat Y). and it was actual fun to get them for both explorers, collectors and min-maxers.

Players did ask for it in GW2. Then Anet implemented it in the form of a system where you had to earn traits by beating specific bosses, completing mini dungeons, or things like capturing a keep in WvW, just like in GW1 where completing quests or killing bosses and using a Signet of Capture on them unlocked new skills.

It was probably one of the least popular updates ever made and they reverted the system a few months later because of non-stop complaints about how terrible it was.

"Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

• GWMO.4785GWMO.4785 Member ✭✭✭

Guild Wars vs Garden Warfare (2) :P hides*

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Torolan.5816 said:

Players did ask for it in GW2. Then Anet implemented it in the form of a system where you had to earn traits by beating specific bosses, completing mini dungeons, or things like capturing a keep in WvW, just like in GW1 where completing quests or killing bosses and using a Signet of Capture on them unlocked new skills.

It was probably one of the least popular updates ever made and they reverted the system a few months later because of non-stop complaints about how terrible it was.

As you say that I actually remember this now, diving around in Orr in the sunken ship or something like that? Maybe it was too much at once? If memory does not deceive me you had to make it with a multitude of characters which turned it into the same old skritt after a whole, a symdrome GW2 quite often suffers from.

• poersonally i like both, both have things i like alot, but they could make gw2 better by adding some gw1 stuff, like bringing back some of the enemies we had in gw1 and keep them powerfull and with similar skills, like the Torment Creatures, Titans, menzies army.

what if season4 introduces new special bosses with aura's, based on the 9 professions, wich cary a new elite skill that can be captured using a Signet of Capture.

a friend of mien is planning on getting gw1 for the HOM. im gonna join her in playing through the game, showing her all the lore and places we also have in gw2, its gonna be alot of fun:D

• while i will admit i enjoyed guild wars far more better .to its good points but yet same can be said for guild wars 2 as well . sad they do not or did not improve both games .no matter the costs or time taken to get it done

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

GW1 never had a great story until later in its life, it just felt better due to having a campaign structure which works so much better in my opinion. I have however spent far more hours in GW2 than I have in GW1 by a considerable margin. I find GW1 is much less accessible, with a combat system that is overwhelming with so many skills. I'd love to go back to GW1, but it is the one game I find it very difficult to pick up again.

GW2 is not without flaws, but for me it is vastly superior.

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

I played GW1 for a while but I couldn't get into it. I love GW2 more because my character actually feels strong and useful (in GW1 I couldn't do anything alone, I had to take the stupid Heroes everywhere), we have amazing open world and meta events, more quickslots for skills, better fashion and customization, trading post, jumping, gliding, mounts... The only thing I liked in GW1 was that I could pick a secondary profession for my characters.

• Both equaly, but in differant ways.
    GW1 was my first (orpg)? experience and I never felt so impressed by a fantasy world. I started with nightfall and I loved the story, I completed every quest und read the story behind it. I loved the missions with the videos and that my hero actually was the hero (they began with it in GW2 in/after living world 2?).
    I hate the characters in GW2, I just want Taimi and Baraham to die, never ever these are my guildmates. Give us back some adult heros like Master of Whisper, Koss...etc.
    Also i am dissapointed about the storymissions in GW2. The "video" sequences in vanilla are soooooooo bad. Without emotions, no sound or sound music that does not fit. The ships were that bad animated without love, that my first thougt was "my informatics teacher from the 10th class could have done this better"
    At the other hand I love the combat system in GW2 and how much different things you can do in this game. By now I have more playtime in GW2 than in GW1.

• Silmar Alech.4305Silmar Alech.4305 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2017

It's difficult to describe - GW2 is probably the better game. More of everything, including detail and depth. Modern active play style, better graphics. But I enjoyed GW1 more. GW1 did less, but it did it right. Every bit I played (from a PvE point of view) was fun. GW2 has even more to offer for PvE, but it also contains so many things I despair of, things that spoil my fun. In essence, my overall experience for GW1 was better than my overall experience for GW2.

Find the secret message: +++++++[>++++[>+>+++>++++>++++<<<<-]<-]>>>-.>-------.+++.+.------------.>++.<<<++++.>>++++++.>.<--..>++.-.<<<+.

• I simply love the dynamic event system, from small events to the big ones, I appreciate them all. The freedom to join a group fight without having to join a group. There's no other MMO I play anymore (been playing WoW since release to 2014). GW2 has all I need and I hope this game keeps expanding for the next years.

Just Yesterday I was walking in Queensdale, Shadow Behemoth was up so I joined the fight.
    There was a new GW2 player talking in chat how he was blown away by this event. Never expected this suddely would happen during his playtime in Queensdale. You're havesting a carrot node and suddenly a huge boss appears behind you :)

I remember that feeling with my first world bosses. It's amazing, overwhelming.
    The Auric Basin chain storylines---->End boss are my absolute favourite.

• Fantasy.5321Fantasy.5321 Member ✭✭✭

GW2. Two words: open world! GW1 is too instanced for my liking.

• GW1 and GW2 are completely different games at this point.
    I voted for GW2 because after playing GW1 for 3 years, GW1 had a lot of glaring problems and weird design choices.
    Despite having 100s of different skills to choose from there were only a few viable builds per class. The game also had a lot of balancing issues. The Paragon for example still being almost completely useless outside of a damage reduction bot/ battery for monks in GvG.
    Progression wasn't that great either. It was just skins and titles. And map scrapping is NOT fun or interesting gameplay.

With that said however, the story in GW1 was a lot easier to follow. The cut scenes gave users enough information to carry on off of. And we're SKIPPABLE! GW1 also had a lot more pvp game modes where as GW2 after all these years still lacks. GW1 also had a hard mode for almost all of its content. GW2 doesn't have a system in place to do this outside of challenge mode for only a specific content that allows it. And so most of the PvE content appears to be far too easy for a lot of players and gives less reason to reply living story content and dungeons.

With that all said however, GW2 is still far better. It's just setup in a way where it can always continue to grow and evolve.

• GDchiaScrub.3241GDchiaScrub.3241 Member ✭✭✭✭

Movement and being able to Jump is far better in GW2 than GW1 (you had the /jump emote, hue hue hue).

Holy Warriors of [Kazo] following Kazo doctrine guided by, Our Lord and Commander, Zudo in the holy Trinity of Him and his two firm glutes.

• only because i didnt play gw1: i see it on steam taunting me to buy it to try

• jheryn.8390jheryn.8390 Member ✭✭✭

If I am forced to choose, it would be the first game as the story is my favorite part of any game. GW's story was much better crafted.

That being said, it is like comparing apples to oranges for me. The games are completely different but set in the same world.

Both games are amazing IMO.

• witcher.3197witcher.3197 Member ✭✭✭✭

Pointless poll because a lot of people who didn't play GW1 are still going to participate in the poll.

Do you think GW2 will not win on the GW2 forum?

That being said GW1 was way more immersive by all means and that alone would be enough for me to favor that one. Having the best PvP in existence helps too.

• gw1 and gw2 are very different mmo's. I barely consider gw1 a mmo to be honest. It was more, all zones are dungeons solo play. Which is totally fine if you're into that type of thing. I prefer the gw2 approach. Still, I jump on gw1 once in a blue moon just for nostalgia sake.

• ThomasC.1056ThomasC.1056 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2017

Beyond the name, there's nothing much in common between GW1 and GW2.

Of course, GW1 is outdated on many things like graphics, UI, QoL, some combat mechanics, but GW1 had some of the healthiest roots. Namely : the game plays by its own rules. Translation : some miscelleanous skills aside, all the mobs' skills were accessible to the players. That even was the core of the skill acquisition system. This is its most priceless feature, and it's a deep wound to see that GW2 is both a massive fireworks stunfest and condifest for mobs, yet at the same time, an abandoned windy mansion for player's.
    More specifically, the hexes and enchantements system, and all its variations (shouts, chants etc.) was also really rich and could provide lots of interesting builds for various roles in each professions.

GW2's manifesto was encouraging in my opinion. Some ideas were worth trying, some were eventually good ones, some other turned out terrible (skills tied to weapons...). There're still very flawed things all around, but the saddest to me is the fact the game ceased to evolve its core mechanics somehow before HoT, eventhough they're unstable and partially rotten. Just roll a new toon to see how far the gaming experience is when you just play core, compared to lvl. 80 XPack zones. Even items are different ! Nowadays, it's only a leap forward, for more and more disposable content, more and more power creep, more and more repetitive tasks...

I won't say I didn't enjoy GW2, I had a lot of fun in it, and I still sometimes do. But the amount of disappointement with GW2 is overwhelming compared to GW1.

Look at that—you broke Scruffy's sarcasm meters. ~ Taimi.

• I don't think I will be able to play a Guild Wars game without Dodge and Jump. It's hard to play other RPG without it too. I love the flow of combat in GW2 and any game without the Dodge and Jump combat feature/mechanic just feels incomplete.

Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

• PaxTheGreatOne.9472PaxTheGreatOne.9472 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2017

Well... This can contain spoilerish things....

I like both for different reasons.

Guild wars 1 was a truly great story... I loved the development and growth, the return and recognition of characters. I really was not all to fond of Gwen but i felt deeply for her. Having seen her before the world started turningm notably the flute and such in the training area , followed by seeing her rise through ranks, find a love and a goal.
    I felt immersed in the stories a lot if not all of the time. The fact I prefer solo play makes GW1 also a more suited game. I bougfh Gw1 for 6 or 7 euro's from a dump bin and played it for nearly 4000 hours, which should make it the cheapest ever game I played per hour easily... I was looking for something to do and was very happy to hear about gw2, I have 10 characters in gw1. though combat and mobility are limited the skills and builds are more interesting then it's succesor will likely ever be. I never did instanced content in gw1. PvP could not keep me interested as I was a nooby entering in the 5th or 6th year of guild wars 1 's exixtance. And as a cpnsequence I never felt compeditive
    I went looking for the traveler and his companion, went to places I revisited recently and saw the jade sea. I attended Gwens Marriage.

Guild wars 2 appeals to me in its vastness and explorability, I prefer dungeons and fractals, I do own a legendary armor (~175 LI) but I notice I like the Living story and the sidequests more. I have 24 characters in guild wars 2 and spend over 12000 hours. The combat system is more interesting as are mobility options and customisation and appearance. also the dye system feels more appealing. WvW is nice, PvP is not my thing. I find some trends concerning however and I noticed PoF was not holding my interest like before. Mounts ruined much of my immersion and removed a lot of the size of the world and this is a probelm as I loved the big expanse. the older maps feel tiny now and it was a hard hitting mistake ...
    I decided not to give up and I'll try to get myself aquainted with the new raid wing... I'd like to fight Dhuum... like several years ago.

I've been in tyria for a total 16000 hours and still have stuff to do. Thats roughly 1 year and 10 months of 24/7 ingame time in total

Oh and sorry for typo's It's to late and I cannot focus too well so my typing skills suffer

27 lvl 80's, 10 times map. 3 War, 3 Grd, 1 Rev, 3 Rng, 3 Thf, 1 Eng, 4 Ele, 6 Ncr, 3 Msm
    14k+ Hrs Played, "Been There, Done That , Might Do It Again!"

• Dreamy Lu.3865Dreamy Lu.3865 Member ✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed both and keep playing both. There are many things of GW1 that I terribly miss in GW2, as said in many other threads. I don't start the list again... :)

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...

• Fluffball.8307Fluffball.8307 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2017

I'm not going to vote for GW1 because I think it's unfair. GW1 was across all genres, one of the top ten best games ever made, up there with games like Civ 4 and Halflife. I don't want to detract from GW2 by saying I enjoyed it less.

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

Without bashing gw2 in any way, I did enjoy gw1 more, and maybe part of it is nostalgia, and having had more ingame friends, I don’t know.
    But one of my primary remarks is probably storytelling.
    In gw1 the story is slowly built up, while in GW2 they seem to have more than a few instances to tell an entire story.
    It took me 3months to get to the underworld in Nightfal. Let alone half another month to clear the Gates of Madness, Torment, etc.
    Now, in GW2 Balthazar appears, and in just rush after him, and kill him.
    There’s no build up, no character development.
    Everything and everyone dies as soon as they get on screen.

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• @Ayakaru.6583 said:
    Without bashing gw2 in any way, I did enjoy gw1 more, and maybe part of it is nostalgia, and having had more ingame friends, I don’t know.
    But one of my primary remarks is probably storytelling.
    In gw1 the story is slowly built up, while in GW2 they seem to have more than a few instances to tell an entire story.
    It took me 3months to get to the underworld in Nightfal. Let alone half another month to clear the Gates of Madness, Torment, etc.
    Now, in GW2 Balthazar appears, and in just rush after him, and kill him.
    There’s no build up, no character development.
    Everything and everyone dies as soon as they get on screen.

That's not true! Balthazar was on the screen lots of time!
    Just like Vlast! Vlast did not die as soon as... oh... oh kitten...

Oh yeah, I forgot what also bugs me a lot when I read about Vlast.
    GW2 skritts on everything that was heroic in GW1, either making a joke out of it or reversing it.

• I know this is an old thread, but I just came across it and wanted to share my thoughts on both games. GW2 is a good game, it is just a bad sequel. Sure we didn't have the jumping, swimming, dynamic events, and the "action" combat. But we had something far more important: The build system based on attributes ( not traits), the secondary profession, and the amazing integration between various professions in the party composition; that made GW1 a very unique game. GW2 would've been a truly amazing experience if they only kept the build system of GW1.

• Durzlla.6295Durzlla.6295 Member ✭✭✭✭

I like GW2 more because it’s more action based and the freedom of movement is absolutely astounding, it almost feels like an MMO platformer at times.

That being said I still love GW1, it’s a completely fantastic game, it’s just very different than GW2. Wish they would finish the GW1 Beyond stuff tbh, but whatcha gonna do.

"But my children sing to me. Listen. They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family. As their mother, I have to grant them their wish."

• @PaxTheGreatOne.9472 said:
    Well... This can contain spoilerish things....

I like both for different reasons.

Guild wars 1 was a truly great story... I loved the development and growth, the return and recognition of characters. I really was not all to fond of Gwen but i felt deeply for her. Having seen her before the world started turningm notably the flute and such in the training area , followed by seeing her rise through ranks, find a love and a goal.

Oh dear God, Gwen. I started GW1 in Prophecies, and did all the Gwen stuff there, and then later I got a character into EotN, trekked up from Boreal Station, and there's the Eye itself rising above me as I clear the ridge and step down to the frozen lake, and the cinematic starts, with all the Ebon Vanguard soldiers on the steps, and behind them this young woman...

And she explains where you are, and finishes by saying, "I'm Gwen." What a moment!

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• I like going back and forth between both... The heroes... And their ancestors! I'm so glad for the wardrobe system in gw2. But I like the lore of gw1.

Enthusiastic metagamer with an obsession for screenshots.

• Talindra.4958Talindra.4958 Member ✭✭✭✭

I had very very fond memories of gw1
    I played it a lot more than gw2 in terms of hours I actually stayed online playing. I played mainly PvP in gw1. In gw2 I tried the PvP but it's nothing like gw1 sadly. Gw2 PvP game play is only capturing points .. I'm very sure it can be better. But pve is not bad overall it's a free game to play.

Death is Energy [DIE] in EU
    Envoy's Herald, CoZ, VitV, DD, SS, The Eternal, LNHB, Champion Magus, Champion Phantom, Wondrous Achiever etc.

• Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2018

I liked gw1 for different reasons than gw2, but I like both. The two games are so different in spite of the underlying story and maps. One I liked as a strategizing solo/small group game and the other I like as a mmo with large numbers of players everywhere with the ability to spontaneously group up when events occur.

GW1 felt more immersive. The maps felt bigger. I remember doing the run from Ascalon to Lions Arch and it was a lonnnnng way through multiple maps and past tough mobs. The mobs in that game were better designed and you had to strategize to get past many of them as they were grouped up and had skills to support each other. You couldn’t just go running in and do a Hulk Smash as they’d kill you. Me and a friend did the story line and various other content together for HoM rewards and it was hard in some places. We had to advance in slowly being careful not to agro too much at once. You couldn’t zerg a boss and overwhelm its mechanics by sheer number of players and dying during a mission had consequences as you got a death penalty which increased for each death unless you used consumables. Consumables were a real need in that game in a way they’re not in this one. In this game they’re more of an ‘also have’.

However when I go back now gw1 feels lonely on its maps as there’s no chance you’ll run across another player. The maps feel lifeless with no events and mobs either standing in spot or making their endless circuits. So what I like about gw2 is that there are players around. There is a trading post where I can list items for sell. I don’t have to spam trade chat and I don’t have to guess/research the prices. The addition of mounts and gliding also made a big difference to the enjoyment of the game.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• Gw2 is more of a cluster-f of combat that gets real hectic and hard to read, but the combat is fun and provides a lot of flavor for classes. Skills being tied to weapons is somehwat a bummer but it does allow for a unique fighting style combat. I do prefer the more classic mmo styled combat and large skill selection of gw1 more than the action oriented combat of gw2. Gw2 can be more fun in terms of just fighting, but gw1 was more tactiful, easier to read, and more fun to strategies about and didn't get as stale as easily due to the ease of re-balancing skills with easier coding giving us large skill rebalances quite frequently. Also, even though their whole point of of weapon skills was to provide an overall larger amount of viable builds, with less builds overall, didn't really work how they wanted. I had way more fun just creating super focused or themed builds and then making them work just fine. I'm pretty sure I beat the game using a hydromancer dps build and as all gw1 players know that ice and water skills aren't really damage oriented and more conrol oriented. But the theme was fun, and maelstrom and all the freezing skills were fun.

Gw1 maps and locations had much more ambience and were just breathtaking. Now idk if I prefer the instanced zones as much as the open world, but the instanced zones allowed them to create these maps that made you feel really small in a good way. You experienced the zones as if you were treading accross a treacherous zone that was trying to kill you canstantly. The open world allows for a bunch of just ignoring mobs and never really having to survive the environment.

Oh and ritualist, assassin, dervish, paragon, and the old mesmer. These were some of the coolest classes and its a shame they dont exist in the same light in gw2. I also think the old necro was a lot cooler thematically with blood letting skills and basically being a big boi of pestilence.

Something about gw2 that has always made me mad was the attempt at creating an mmo with no trinity or roles. First off we can see this fell flat on it back, and second off roles give the user some purpose within the group. It also allows for strategic battles that require synergy, but instead we get combat scenarios that are the equivalent of killing waves of zombies in left 4 dead and then at the end fighting another big zombie. It just sometimes feels like a dungeon crawler beat-em-up game instead of an actual mmo. And, we can see this failed because we have druid healers and chrono tanks that seem to be almost required for raids. So this whole "oh we have to wait to get a monk for 30 mins" thing is still present.

With all that said, GW2 is a great game with a lot of QoL features that other games are missing. I love the game but to me GW1 was the superior game. It's pvp modes were also amazing.

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ScottBroChill.3254 said:
    Skills being tied to weapons is somehwat a bummer but it does allow for a unique fighting style combat.

I think that sometimes people forget that GW1 also had skills that were tied to weapons, at least non-caster weapons. So for example the elite skill Hundred Blades would only work with a sword equipped.

What's different in GW2 is of course that the first half of your skill bar has a fixed skill set that you cannot deviate from. So where in GW1 you could choose to use weapon specific skills or generic ones and where you put them on your skill bar. The advantages were that you had the skills where you want them and you never had skills that you felt you wish you didn't have to pick like in GW2 and you could do different builds with a weapon. So you were not fixed to one set of skills.

But skills that were tied to weapons did exist in GW1 and allowed for unique combat styles between weapons but also for each weapon individually. Also because weapons were tied to specific classes (except casters), it made each class feel more unique than in GW2 where weapons overlap generally to half the classes out there or more. So in GW1 an assassin was way different because of the dagger combat and chaining of skills for example. Caster classes were differentiated on other things and more spell related. An elementalist, ritualist, Mesmer, monk or necromancer however were very different in playstyle even though they had the same weapons.

I suppose that some people will think it's an improvement that weapons are overlapping between classes but they had to do that in my view to make up for the lack of choice with the left side of the skill bar and to me the classes are less distinctive to me than they were in GW1.

Mind you, I'm replying to you but my comments aren't specifically targeted at you. I just had a few cents to add on the line that I quoted :)

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:
    I liked gw1 for different reasons than gw2, but I like both. The two games are so different in spite of the underlying story and maps. One I liked as a strategizing solo/small group game and the other I like as a mmo with large numbers of players everywhere with the ability to spontaneously group up when events occur.

GW1 felt more immersive. The maps felt bigger. I remember doing the run from Ascalon to Lions Arch and it was a lonnnnng way through multiple maps and past tough mobs. The mobs in that game were better designed and you had to strategize to get past many of them as they were grouped up and had skills to support each other. You couldn’t just go running in and do a Hulk Smash as they’d kill you. Me and a friend did the story line and various other content together for HoM rewards and it was hard in some places. We had to advance in slowly being careful not to agro too much at once. You couldn’t zerg a boss and overwhelm its mechanics by sheer number of players and dying during a mission had consequences as you got a death penalty which increased for each death unless you used consumables. Consumables were a real need in that game in a way they’re not in this one. In this game they’re more of an ‘also have’.

However when I go back now gw1 feels lonely on its maps as there’s no chance you’ll run across another player. The maps feel lifeless with no events and mobs either standing in spot or making their endless circuits. So what I like about gw2 is that there are players around. There is a trading post where I can list items for sell. I don’t have to spam trade chat and I don’t have to guess/research the prices. The addition of mounts and gliding also made a big difference to the enjoyment of the game.

Consumables werent even a thing at the start. :p They were blessings from ressurrection shrines mostly, and even then never a requirement. Ofcourse by the time hardmode came I had played with my builds already so much that the increase in difficulty wasnt that bad. Ofcourse alot of gimmicky builds that made it tons easier and not being able to load up on heroes for a full party, so you would have to take other players or the barely viable henchmen. But I agree with the general sentiment.

GW2 environment and map design is amazing. GW1s strategizing and building your character heavily outshines GW2s need to monetize (ingame) on any stats.

Ofcourse even then its about most damage most health or most healing, rather than any strategy.

• Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

If GW2 hadn't come along, I'd still be playing GW1.

I do miss some of my old professions, weapons, and armor skins, but I'm not unhappy with GW2 at all.

"That's what" -- She

• Guild Wars the first was my first online game. The music was utterly amazing, the game looked awesome, it PLAYED well even if you couldn't jump. The story was interesting and it certainly hooked me. The sheer nostalgia gets my vote. Not to mention the actual rivalry of Kurzick or Luxon made alliance battles amazing.

• Grim West.3194Grim West.3194 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2018

I have played GW2 more than GW1. But I really loved GW1 before the loot farming changes. It was tough, the story was great and I had a lot of fun doing stupid things like hugging the walls for map completion. In many ways early to mid GW1 is better than GW2.

But GW2 surpasses GW1 in many other ways that gives' GW2 the crown. As good as GW1's graphics were GW2's is so much better. Plus WvW and Jumping Puzzles and events and mounts and, the list goes on and on.

There is still a lot of stuff I would like to go back and complete in GW1, but after the farming changes they also made the game kind of face roll. Not much of a challenge so it gets boring pretty fast. Both games are still better than most mmos. Win Win.

• Both equally.
    I just wanted to talk about a weird but cool feature in GW1 : you could add more music in game. The OSTs were available through the composer's own online store (directsong), and there was a way to implement them, as well as bonus tracks in game. you could even start from there and add your own choice of mp3s. That was a fun feature, albeit a bit messy. ^^

Doug Warobaz - Norn To Be Alive [NtbA]

• Overall - GW1 - Was the birth of Gw2 - Love them both- Can't wait for future adventures- Have left game politics and game play out of this - Can't wait for Gw3 - Go Gw

• @Gehenna.3625 said:

@ScottBroChill.3254 said:
    Skills being tied to weapons is somehwat a bummer but it does allow for a unique fighting style combat.

I think that sometimes people forget that GW1 also had skills that were tied to weapons, at least non-caster weapons. So for example the elite skill Hundred Blades would only work with a sword equipped.

and ontop of that you could get up to 4 weapon swaps which were never really utilised because if you had skills for sword in your build, switching to anything else was making these dead weight slots on a skill bar. I was at the time considering if suggestion of making weapon sets have binded variations of weapon-specific skills baked in (so if you put in let's say 4 sword skills on a bar, and have axe on f2 you could pick 4 axe skills to replace those sword skills when you move to that axe)

What's different in GW2 is of course that the first half of your skill bar has a fixed skill set that you cannot deviate from. So where in GW1 you could choose to use weapon specific skills or generic ones and where you put them on your skill bar. The advantages were that you had the skills where you want them and you never had skills that you felt you wish you didn't have to pick like in GW2 and you could do different builds with a weapon. So you were not fixed to one set of skills.

to be honest when I first heard of gw2 weapon skills my first though was kind of "just as if they were reading my mind" although, to be fair it was still in the time when many of us were delusional and expected ability to pick our weapon skills from a broader array of them just as we do with healing skill, elite skill and utilities

I suppose that some people will think it's an improvement that weapons are overlapping between classes but they had to do that in my view to make up for the lack of choice with the left side of the skill bar and to me the classes are less distinctive to me than they were in GW1.

well while it is fair personally I do not share this specific sentiment - I mean for me GW2 classes are more distinctive between each other than in gw1, but I may be coming in here from perspective of maining a warrior and trying to run DoA, ending up as wanna-be-ritualist, because that was only accepted build for DoA for everything that was not monk, mesmer or imbagon - and speaking of imbagons theywere for thsi sort of content permalocked to warrior secondary for "save yourselves!"....

Mind you, I'm replying to you but my comments aren't specifically targeted at you. I just had a few cents to add on the line that I quoted :)

HA! That's funny - it applies very well to my post as well ^-^

as for commonly thrown out in here arguments of "more build diversity" and "better balancing"
    sure, gw1 had more theoretical builds to have, but tiny bit of issue in here - 99% of them were borderline useless, and depending on a mode you were playing in it was all narrowing down to mostly one or two "viable" builds per primary class (note, mostly because some lucky classes enjoyed more variety per mode - although some of them didn't even had one commonly accepted good build for some modes)

as for balancing....
    well it's funny, dunno maybe years of stagnation have made it all correct itself over the time since last time I was playing GW1's PvP, but no, it didn't have better balancing in overall. You had a broad array of builds that were beyond broken (to the point where all gw2 complaints about broken classes would blush when seeing these bits from there) and unless you brought one of these yourself to the table it was not uncommon to run into oponent you simply cannot mathematically kill, despite putting way more effort into crating, fine tuning and mastering the build to your personal playstyle, than your oponent did.

but in overall I enjoy both games equally, both for slightly different set of reasons, but that's ok - these are after all greatly different games on very basic design levels.

• zionophir.6845zionophir.6845 Member ✭✭✭

Guild Wars = GRAVITY TOO STRONK.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Daniel.5428 said:
    First game was far more balanced, had far better plot and the game modes were well designed. For example PVP.

You never played an Elementalist then roll eyes

• The action aspect of gw2 is what makes its far superior than the original. I dont know what i would do without my jumps or evades.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.