Which is most difficult monster/boss in GW2 for you?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when groups were constantly wiped by Priest of Grenth and Balthazar. Those were fun times - lots of coordination required to make sure people paid attention to mechanics. Nowadays they seem to be facerolled.

Otherwise Triple Trouble for open world

Hounds of Balthazar. Not because the fight is overly difficult, but I’m a bit fumbly and uncoordinated there.

Oasis boss in fractals although I do kinda like it. If it wasn’t for the tedious trash, I’d like it as a boss fractal for the mechanics alone despite being a bit rubbish at it.

Legendary Bandit Executioner and Champion Avatar of Balthazar (Auric Basin) are probably the toughest open world bosses.

I can't really say any of the story bosses are challenging. They're either simple, or annoying through some gimmick like invulnerability (looking at you, S3E3 bosses!). Can't say I really had any trouble with them, even Caudecus or the Eater of Souls that folks got so riled about until Anet nerfed them.

Same for dungeons - they're all so simple now that they're fairly laughable. Fractals and raids I can't say I've done enough as of late to really say. Haven't touched Fractals properly since... yesh, since Twilight Oasis came out. And never got a steady group to raid with.

Mordremoth in Hearts and Minds. I failed that fight...I'm actually not sure how many times...and I still haven't gotten past it. It's not that I get overwhelmed with damage (though that was how I met my demise the first several attempts before I figured the mechanics of the fight), but the last gliding phase is a pain in the posterior; somehow, even when I speed up or slow down in gliding, Mordremoth always hits me with a boulder. And then I fall to the electrified floor and evaporate into a crispy pile of former sylvari. :tongue: Next attempt: trying to get onto that one vine sticking out into the middle of the arena and hoping that shields me from the Boulders of Doom.Fortunately, I have a plethora of repair canisters for the next several (dozen) tries. One day I'll finish Heart of Thorns...finally move on to the rest of the story... :weary:

Can't think of any other boss or monster, in the story or in open world, that's quite so difficult. I'm sure I'll find several more when I get further in the living world seasons and Path of Fire. XD

[Edit: Within thirty seconds of my logging on this morning, I got a whisper from someone offering to help me with Mordremoth. :) I declined, because I want to beat this overgrown weed by myself [because I'm more stubborn than a mule and/or a glutton for punishment], but the very fact that someone saw this post and immediately offered to help... This is why I love this community. Thank you!! :heart:]

The awakened abominations. It is one of those monsters that, even though they're just vets, they give me way too much trouble. The main thing that murders me is their retaliation barrier which throws daggers to counter every attack. The simple solution is "don't attack" but usually I have some lingering field or effect that triggers the daggers, killing me.

The boss from Arab lupus I forgot the name was till someone found out how to one shot him the hardest and most fun boss to solo. It involved some skill like we later on only got with liadri from the crown pavilion.

That boss was so feared ppl bought dungeon runs and used map breaks to get around him.

And there was a lws where we played as caithe and needed to fight centaurs I think that was also hard to solo

• 1 year later...

not massively far into the expansions but so far its the veteran malevolent memory. spent so long trying to work with the mechanics that after a month i just gave up and ran in circles slapping it with magic ghost hands for half an hour until it crumpled under the sheer intensity of my anger

@"Batel.9206" said:Mordremoth in Hearts and Minds. I failed that fight...I'm actually not sure how many times...and I still haven't gotten past it. It's not that I get overwhelmed with damage (though that was how I met my demise the first several attempts before I figured the mechanics of the fight), but the last gliding phase is a pain in the posterior; somehow, even when I speed up or slow down in gliding, Mordremoth always hits me with a boulder. And then I fall to the electrified floor and evaporate into a crispy pile of former sylvari. :tongue: Next attempt: trying to get onto that one vine sticking out into the middle of the arena and hoping that shields me from the Boulders of Doom.Fortunately, I have a plethora of repair canisters for the next several (dozen) tries. One day I'll finish Heart of Thorns...finally move on to the rest of the story... :weary:

Can't think of any other boss or monster, in the story or in open world, that's quite so difficult. I'm sure I'll find several more when I get further in the living world seasons and Path of Fire. XD

[Edit: Within thirty seconds of my logging on this morning, I got a whisper from someone offering to help me with Mordremoth. :) I declined, because I want to beat this overgrown weed by myself [because I'm more stubborn than a mule and/or a glutton for punishment], but the very fact that someone saw this post and immediately offered to help... This is why I love this community. Thank you!! :heart:]

Note, gliding in this phase isn't required, that's why the NPCs say "take cover or glide", because there's a spot you can just take cover at. I know that seems like cheesing it somehow but it was built into the encounter intentionally.

@ Thread:I have the most difficulty with encounters that pressure me too much, for example when soloing Arah P3, at the first boss, if you fail to dodge the Crusher's powerful hammer attack even once you're KO'ed, and have to restart the fight. I'm the type who believes everything in this game is possible, and I've even soloed T3 Fractal bosses when my party wiped, but if it gets too tedious I give up.

I tend to make time vs. effort judgement calls to avoid stress.

Being autistic means I also get overwhelmed easily from sensory input, and having to watch and do too many things at once. Like the first phase of Amala in Twilight Oasis, with all the Portals, I can't focus enough to avoid being Moa'd, and since I'm usually a Druid, that means I lose Celestial Avatar while trying to heal my party and it becomes incredibly frustrating.

I think I suffer the most from "artificial difficulty", I think is the term for it.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Mushroom Queen in Tangled Depths! Out of the bosses I can manage to solo, she's probably the toughest. Especially on a pure melee build like sword weaver! The fact that she stands in an area effect while the little mushrooms she throws around seek to your position and stack further area effects makes it very difficult to consistently stand at melee range. Not only is the damage output generally very high, but it's difficult to see the overlapping fields to know when to dodge the small mushroom explosions (which are usually layered so you end up eating them anyway!). It doesn't help that she spawns on top of a pile of rocks which obstruct ranged attacks and you have to fight her in a narrow tunnel!

I generally win this fight, but my damage is 40-50% of normal because of how defensively I have to play it. She's just that tough at close range! Compare to Avatar of Balthazar or Vampire Broodmother, which have more easily avoidable damage. Those two add additional challenge through pass/fail breakbar mechanics (and pretty unique ones at that!), but it's otherwise much easier to handle them at melee range. I can do both of these in under a minute, but mushroom queen usually takes me two or three times as long.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Mushroom Queen in Tangled Depths! Out of the bosses I can manage to solo, she's probably the toughest. Especially on a pure melee build like sword weaver! The fact that she stands in an area effect while the little mushrooms she throws around seek to your position and stack further area effects makes it very difficult to consistently stand at melee range. Not only is the damage output generally very high, but it's difficult to see the overlapping fields to know when to dodge the small mushroom explosions (which are usually layered so you end up eating them anyway!). It doesn't help that she spawns on top of a pile of rocks which obstruct ranged attacks and you have to fight her in a narrow tunnel!

I generally win this fight, but my damage is 40-50% of normal because of how defensively I have to play it. She's just that tough at close range! Compare to Avatar of Balthazar or Vampire Broodmother, which have more easily avoidable damage. Those two add additional challenge through pass/fail breakbar mechanics (and pretty unique ones at that!), but it's otherwise much easier to handle them at melee range. I can do both of these in under a minute, but mushroom queen usually takes me two or three times as long.

That one is a nightmare, indeed the terrain makes this a difficult fight.

My entry Legendary Rubedon, Trembling Earth. When doing this bounty usually you end up rezzing lots of players and get rezzed if you dont watch it.

@aspirine.6852 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Mushroom Queen in Tangled Depths! Out of the bosses I can manage to solo, she's probably the toughest. Especially on a pure melee build like sword weaver! The fact that she stands in an area effect while the little mushrooms she throws around seek to your position and stack further area effects makes it very difficult to consistently stand at melee range. Not only is the damage output generally very high, but it's difficult to see the overlapping fields to know when to dodge the small mushroom explosions (which are usually layered so you end up eating them anyway!). It doesn't help that she spawns on top of a pile of rocks which obstruct ranged attacks and you have to fight her in a narrow tunnel!

That one is a nightmare, indeed the terrain makes this a difficult fight.

My entry Legendary Rubedon, Trembling Earth. When doing this bounty usually you end up rezzing lots of players and get rezzed if you dont watch it.

I was thinking more from a solo perspective, but that's a good point! There are bosses which become more dangerous with other players present. For instance, the bandit champion Ezal the Quick tosses out these little green torch things. If you evade the attack, you don't leave a nasty pulsing damage field that stacks confusion. Unfortunately, the boss throws out torches at multiple targets and the fields can stack. So, while you've prepared and either dodged or at least moved out of the field, the 5 guys standing next to you might not have and you go down in an instant as soon as you land from your dodge roll!

The legendary executioner is another one. The number of sword drops (the orange circles) increases along with the number of players present, but the size of the field within the dome remains the same. On the other hand, downed players provide an excellent opportunity to land a breakbar stun against this boss and deal some unanswered burst! So, it's a bit of a tradeoff.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:On the other hand, downed players provide an excellent opportunity to land a breakbar stun against this boss and deal some unanswered burst! So, it's a bit of a tradeoff.Yeah, that's typically me being downed. You're welcome. :)

LoL Thanks! I forgot to mention the other nice thing about downed players on this boss is that when he whirls to a downed player to execute them, he doesn't do the big area stun + damage + 5 stack bleed that ends up killing so many people! So yes, thanks for taking one for the team!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:On the other hand, downed players provide an excellent opportunity to land a breakbar stun against this boss and deal some unanswered burst! So, it's a bit of a tradeoff.Yeah, that's typically me being downed. You're welcome. :)

LoL Thanks! I forgot to mention the other nice thing about downed players on this boss is that when he whirls to a downed player to execute them, he doesn't do the big area stun + damage + 5 stack bleed that ends up killing so many people! So yes, thanks for taking one for the team!

I often take more than one. haha

@kharmin.7683 said:

I often take more than one. haha

Maybe a little advice then?

Aside from avoiding obvious things like the big orange circles, the biggest danger in this fight comes at the end of his whirl attack. It does an area stun, deals quite a bit of damage, and leaves behind a monster bleed that must be cleansed. The good news is that it has a huge telegraph plus the boss will call out preceding the move so you don't even have to be watching for it to know it's coming. Be aware that although he whirls at a specific target, you can still be hit by this attack if you're anywhere near it!

Other things to know? The veteran casters continuously stack might on the boss. It's a good idea to either kill them, boon strip, or better yet boon steal that stack of might for yourself! But leaving the boss to run around with 25 stack might the entire fight is generally a bad idea!

Also, be aware that the shining star that rotates around the boss reflects projectiles! You have to be careful about your positioning when using ranged attacks or you'll deal a lot of damage to yourself!