Mist Shard Armor

The last few new skins in PvE required lots & lots of the new map's new material, plus LS4 currency, plus some wild card item.

• LS4.5: Dragonsblood & Heroic Dragonsblood weapon sets: nearly 14 stacks of branded masses, 96 serpentite jewels, plus the usual ascended
  • LS4.4: Requiem armor: nearly five stacks of mistonium, a stack of ecto, and 25 sigils of nullification (back then: upwards from 9 gold; these days, under 4g)
  • LS4.3: New Mount (beetle). No direct costs that I recall; just time & effort
  • LS4.2: 32-slot bag. Collection plus a variety of costs (not much direct farming, if you have the gold already)
  • LS4.1: Astral & Stellar weapons. Astral requires nearly 33 stacks of kralk ore plus about the same in powdered rose quartz. Stellar requires a similar amount of mats plus a lot of gold and 16 irradiated vision crystals. You only need to craft a single Astral to unlock the possibility of crafting Stellars.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:yeah, the usual grind and farm kitten, never just a reward for doing the story...

On the contrary, in addition, each LS4 story has included another three Corsair armor skins for completing the story + a few achievements on the new map.

1) i never noticed and finished the story.2) they are super ugly, as if they are not even trying.

Imagine if they just handed out cultural armor for free. They would have never had any kind of prestige attached to them.you and i have a different idea of good.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:yeah, the usual grind and farm kitten, never just a reward for doing the story...

Good.

Imagine if they just handed out cultural armor for free. They would have never had any kind of prestige attached to them.

Despite favoring the way of acquiring armor/weapons through a lot of effort, mindlessly grinding is heavily disliked by me.Caladbolg was not grindy but still rewarding whilst also being tied into the main-story. I would actually like to have more weapons/armor acquired this way.

@Arzurag.7506 said:

Good.

Imagine if they just handed out cultural armor for free. They would have never had any kind of prestige attached to them.

Despite favoring the way of acquiring armor/weapons through a lot of effort, mindlessly grinding is heavily disliked by me.Caladbolg was not grindy but still rewarding whilst also being tied into the main-story. I would actually like to have more weapons/armor acquired this way.

Look back at the most recent armor set, Elegy and Requiem armor. Both have a story in their collections to tell, both involve proper gameplay and no grinding whatsoever. Just a tad of crating, as it should be. We don't talk about the Nullification Sigils, that was clearly a major oversight that they didn't fix, knowing the rune and sigil overhaul was already on the way. They're doing it right.

@sorudo.9054 said:

On the contrary, in addition, each LS4 story has included another three Corsair armor skins for completing the story + a few achievements on the new map.

1) i never noticed and finished the story.2) they are super ugly, as if they are not even trying.

Imagine if they just handed out cultural armor for free. They would have never had any kind of prestige attached to them.you and i have a different idea of good.

And thats ok, i like his/her idea of good better tbh.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Yet another set of ugly skins that do not fit into the world design of GW2. This game really has lost its beautiful flair and original skin design style. It's become a cacophony of genre mixes that don't fit together nor into Tyria at all. Just awful and sad.

These are weird skins today, that's for sure. I have to say I prefered the older armor skins as well as the ones in GW1.

I adore the Requiem armor but there is no way you can get them without grinding the map currency. It takes a lot. I've gotten a few reward tracks done to help but am still short 2 pieces. I'll get there, and I'm not objecting to the time, but it /is/ a grind. Eventually I'll gather enough home instances and do enough Shatterers that it'll happen.

@sorudo.9054 said:

1) i never noticed and finished the story.Maybe it's time to take a look at the
Collections
section of the
Hero Panel
; there's quite a lot of stuff available there.

2) they are super ugly,What has that got to do with whether there's a reward available or not?Gem shop skins include those that many think are ugly, collection skins are considered ugly by some; it's not a matter of cost.

Some people on this thread bring up the idea of prestiege or how not every armour design appeals to everyone. If that's the case, where are the corsair outfit wearing masses in-game? What is stopping it from being a staple like Mistward Armour used to be?

Personally, I'm not overly fond of the corsair set. It's too complicated for my tastes, and has too many unnessicary knick knacks. I predict this new armour will go down the same route, but I am lowkey hoping we will get a simpler less shinie set like we did with the Ls4 ep 4 armours.

Many years ago the black/white angel wings were all the rage and everyone was wearing them when they came out. How many people do you see wearing them now? The game with so many options, people tend to get bored of something fairly quickly and move onto the next new, best thing. People may enjoy the corsair set but can't get it to work with their main. Or they're mix and matching thus making it difficult to tell if they're using the pieces unless you know what they look like.

@Westenev.5289 said:I am lowkey hoping we will get a simpler less shinie set like we did with the Ls4 ep 4 armours.

I believe we will. In the teaser trailer, the male sylvari showing off the new legendary greatsword appears to be wearing a simplified/non-sparkly version of the light Mist Shard armor.

I'm really excited for this! Quite pleased with their rate of production with armors as of late (2 full sets just in the second half of this season, plus some standalone chest and leg pieces), and it's also nice to have something that's a considerable grind in the sense that it makes us play the new content a lot.

@Ashen.2907 said:

Good.

They never did have any prestige.

Definitely wrong. I've seen many people be in awe when they recognized the sets and how they would never be able to afford them.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Yet another set of ugly skins that do not fit into the world design of GW2. This game really has lost its beautiful flair and original skin design style. It's become a cacophony of genre mixes that don't fit together nor into Tyria at all. Just awful and sad.

That's rich. Basiclaly saying to take out the fantasy out of a fantasy MMO.

Edit: I want to build on this. Ever since the release of the game we've had many fantastic concepts ingame. We have a race of magic plant people, low sci-fi with Asura, the raw mechanical side of things with the Charr. We have oversized weapons and somewhat viking themed styles with the Norn. These people have the strength of countless men, would make sense that weapons reflect that trait somewhere.

The entire concept of a Greatsword is one of fantasy. Longswords, generally two handed weapons, max out at around 130cm. Imagine if swords had to conform to that ingame. They'd look like toothpicks, especially when wielded by a large stature character. That would limit weapons to basically what we have ingame. Take a look at those exotic greatswords that came with core. Many of those are realistic enough that I could see them in real life and functional for the most part. It would only make sense to move onto more creative designs as time goes on.

Armors, while done in several styles, don't allow much creativity either when they have to bind themselves to realism. That's one of the best things when it comes to fantasy. Seeing how they break all those boundaries to make something that simply looks COOL. For the sake of having more than 5 armor sets and representing more races alone they must break and go beyond what is practical. I don't think it's for anybody to judge the practicality in this fantasy setting. If we want to go one step deeper we could even say that armor rating is essentially a magical stat that will increase our bodies resistance to being hurt, so when we run around half naked we still get the armor since it's tied to piece, not actual cover :)