Can ranger get a rifle in EoD?

Xanadrine.4352

2 minutes ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

To add drizzt is d&d's most famous ranger who uses two swords and was trained initially as a fighter before meeting a old ranger in his sacred forest, the ranger trained him in the Rangers ways and beliefs and drizzt came to the conclusion that these ways were completely in tune with his beliefs and values and thus from then on was a ranger.

John snow was considered a ranger, didn't really use a bow but was more sword, even sword and board at times, also used two handed swords/spears.

Like u mentioned many warriors in lotr where Rangers who used swords and such over bow. 

What do they all have in common? All had survival skills, lived in forest or tough climates( reason for survival knowledge) and lastly all had a certain noble predisposition with their beliefs and actions. 

There are multiple versions of rangers in fantasy but they all share some commonalities, gw2 version is just a mix of all of em.

I agree! To me being a ranger boils down to the survival and tracking skill and the ability to understand and commune with the natural state of the world you live in.
It's a very ranger like feeling when Aragon searches the forest for the herb with healing capacity after the nazgûl encounter where Frodo gets stabbed 

• Thanks 1

I really hope tho since ranger is most likely getting a giant hammer as a weapon that anet gives the spec a heavier armor tribal warrior look or a armored enforcer of the land look cuz thinking on the usual medium armors, visually most would look silly while wielding a giant battle hammer. Just my opinion of course.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107
  • Sad 2

It's not needed tbh, Ranger already has good ranged weapon options for both power and condition damage, it really doesn't need more.

Well unless it's scepter.. Ranger is still lacking a condition focused MH weapon and scepter would be a nice one to go with there.
Certainly a better option than pistol anyway.. Guns on Rangers just don't feel right to me, they're just far too affiliated with Bows in fantasy games to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Excuse me but swinging a greatsword dont break your immersion?

No it doesn't. Greatswords are not industrial weapons, there are notable Rangers  fighting with GS in fantasy tabletop games with a deeper immersion and lore than GW. You are mistaking Hunters for Rangers, that's the issue.

4 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I really hope tho since ranger is most likely getting a giant hammer as a weapon that anet gives the spec a heavier armor tribal warrior look or a armored enforcer of the land look cuz thinking on the usual medium armors, visually most would look silly while wielding a giant battle hammer. Just my opinion of course.

Well, considering that they already gave hammer to another medium armor class (scrapper), it seems that Anet doesn't agree with the weapon looking silly combined with medium armor.

• Like 4

On 8/30/2021 at 4:48 PM, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Lmao what? Rangers are rangers because they range the land, hunters are just what some games use to name their rangers to be a bit different so every bow/nature/survivalist class isn't always bearing the same name. Every game that uses hunter as a ranger esq class always includes some nature aspect, only classes called hunter that are being used as the games rogue like don't.

Let me ask u this, as a ranger who is a woodsman/survivalist warrior that has such a link to nature that he can use it to aid in his fight, how do they eat? Do they hunt animals, are they expert huntsman due to their knowledge and respect for nature, or all of the rangers vegetarians? Lol.

Bows are more fitting to a ranger compared to rifle but a rifle most definitely can fit with a ranger lol.

I have to disagree with you, let's start by the very basis, the definitions.

-Hunter: a person or an animal that hunts animals for food or for sport (HUNTER | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary)

-Ranger: a person whose job is to protect a forest or natural park (RANGER | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary)

The two things aren't interchangeable as you can see, therefore they are two completely different things so don't mix them up please, I ask you again not to do it.

Currently Deadeye, Rifle Warrior and Rifle Engineer are more fitting as big game hunters as for definition above, hunters are not attuned to nature but Rangers do.

There is really no point in continuing this argument, black powder is against balance, you can double check asking a Kodan, they will teach ya.

Good bye

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Touchme.1097 said:

I have to disagree with you, let's start by the very basis, the definitions.

-Hunter: a person or an animal that hunts animals for food or for sport (HUNTER | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary)

-Ranger: a person whose job is to protect a forest or natural park (RANGER | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary)

The two things aren't interchangeable as you can see, therefore they are two completely different things so don't mix them up please, I ask you again not to do it.

Currently Deadeye, Rifle Warrior and Rifle Engineer are more fitting as big game hunters as for definition above, hunters are not attuned to nature but Rangers do.

There is really no point in continuing this argument, black powder is against balance, you can double check asking a Kodan, they will teach ya.

Good bye

Sry but a ranger in the fantasy world are called ranger because they range the land, ie are survivalist, tied to nature, hence why they are always using weapons that match such like bows, one hand axes, daggers etc. They are always quick and nimble and stealthy due to needing to be so to survive and hunt in such environments, hence why they are also sturdy. Now when u look at rangers in lotr, d&d u can see the are also protectors of the land. That said by ur definition of ranger the ranger in gw2 would have pistols and rifles already and would have a nifty badge 😉

Lasty if going by real life definition ranger and warden have basically the same job, in fantasy though both are usually depicted quite different.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

look at the end it does not matter if the rifle fit the ally of the nature role or not, it could use a rifle loaded with magical bullets of love.

the point is ranger already has too many ranged weapons and rifle would work as ranged, so if anet wants the specialization to make any sense in the game they need to go for a melee weapon.

Unless the rifle is used as a blunt object, but then using a hammer would look and feel better.

If you like the hunter theme there is the berseker warrior which is close enough, if you like more stealthy then deadeye.

Edited by anduriell.6280
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

My 2 cents on this specific topic of “Rangers vs Hunters” (which first off I think is stupid to begin with).

Most other MMOs that have the “one play style” classes (ie, FFXIV, where every class is played 1 way) or the “specializations” classes (ie, WoW with 3 play styles per class) are different than the way GW2 portrays their classes. In GW2 each class/profession encompasses a rather broad archetype. Similar I suppose to DnD where you have a foundation the class is built around, such as in GW2 each class has a specific theme and scope, and a class mechanic. You can then shape your character in different ways using a combination of specializations, skills, and weapons to create different variances within your archetype. A Ranger can be built many different ways and have wildly different feels and “tones” to it, yet still exist within the same broad archetype. It is very obvious that the Hunter class from other games exists within the Ranger class in GW2 because our classes are supposed to encompass a larger theme than something as narrow as “ranged damage dealer with bow”.

Different play styles of Ranger for example can already be described as “elegant and nimble”, while other variations are obviously seen as “brutish and bestial”. Yet none of those terms are fundamental to what the Ranger is. The only thing consistent to us is the closeness with nature which can be interpreted in a variety of different ways.

A weapon is also only one facet of an elite specs identity, alongside the skills they gain, new class mechanic, and the new “theme” that it brings. I can guarantee there’s a way to make a firearm fit into a Ranger elite spec, so long as it compliments the rest of the elite spec.

Repeating my personal thoughts on rifle specifically, it basically aligns with a poster above in that:

1 hour ago, anduriell.6280 said:

the point is ranger already has too many ranged weapons and rifle would work as ranged, so if anet wants the specialization to make any sense in the game they need to go for a melee weapon.

I just don’t see Rifle being the weapon that fits into what Ranger as a whole really *needs* right now. Not that it doesn’t fit, but that it is much more niche than what we should be wanting to get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I often equate the GW2 classes to DnD as well. I look at the GW2 ranger and see many similarities. Elite speccing allows the ranger to become a druid (more magicy), and this works very well with the DnD analogy. Soulbeast is akin to Barbarian. Whatever this Bunnythumper will be, I imagine it'll be a nature paladin or a nature cleric sort of deal.

On 9/1/2021 at 1:36 PM, AlexndrTheGreat.8310 said:

My 2 cents on this specific topic of “Rangers vs Hunters” (which first off I think is stupid to begin with).

Most other MMOs that have the “one play style” classes (ie, FFXIV, where every class is played 1 way) or the “specializations” classes (ie, WoW with 3 play styles per class) are different than the way GW2 portrays their classes. In GW2 each class/profession encompasses a rather broad archetype. Similar I suppose to DnD where you have a foundation the class is built around, such as in GW2 each class has a specific theme and scope, and a class mechanic. You can then shape your character in different ways using a combination of specializations, skills, and weapons to create different variances within your archetype. A Ranger can be built many different ways and have wildly different feels and “tones” to it, yet still exist within the same broad archetype. It is very obvious that the Hunter class from other games exists within the Ranger class in GW2 because our classes are supposed to encompass a larger theme than something as narrow as “ranged damage dealer with bow”.

Different play styles of Ranger for example can already be described as “elegant and nimble”, while other variations are obviously seen as “brutish and bestial”. Yet none of those terms are fundamental to what the Ranger is. The only thing consistent to us is the closeness with nature which can be interpreted in a variety of different ways.

A weapon is also only one facet of an elite specs identity, alongside the skills they gain, new class mechanic, and the new “theme” that it brings. I can guarantee there’s a way to make a firearm fit into a Ranger elite spec, so long as it compliments the rest of the elite spec.

Repeating my personal thoughts on rifle specifically, it basically aligns with a poster above in that:

I just don’t see Rifle being the weapon that fits into what Ranger as a whole really *needs* right now. Not that it doesn’t fit, but that it is much more niche than what we should be wanting to get.

But you can see rangers wielding hammers? Does that fit the archetype of a ranger?

2 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

But you can see rangers wielding hammers? Does that fit the archetype of a ranger?

I can definitely see hammer being used in a Ranger archetype. It’s not like the elite specs will be based solely off of what the weapon is. So long as it and the skills and new spec mechanic all compliment each other and work together to express a strong theme, it’s easy to fit pretty much any weapon into any of the classes.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:11 AM, Andromeda.2190 said:

I often equate the GW2 classes to DnD as well. I look at the GW2 ranger and see many similarities. Elite speccing allows the ranger to become a druid (more magicy), and this works very well with the DnD analogy. Soulbeast is akin to Barbarian. Whatever this Bunnythumper will be, I imagine it'll be a nature paladin or a nature cleric sort of deal.

Druids in D&D reject technology and firearms, every game has its own philosophical view on each profession/class. Because Rangers can spec into Druids and they are attuned to nature in this game I would prohibit allowing them the use of firearms.

Hammers and other melee weapons can be made out of wood, it's up to the player to choose the right appearance of their weapons. Hammers are ok.

Edited by Touchme.1097
Grammar correction
  • Like 1

Interestingly, if you look in the Skirmishing traits for Rangers, there is a grandmaster trait named Quick Draw that has been around since release, which depicts a pistol. I believe pistol was actually taken into consideration for a while but then was later scrapped, leaving behind only that trait and reference to it. So I feel that a pistol or rifle is not really out of the realms of possibilities, but it seems the 'bunny thumper' would dig into nostalgia of GW1 veterans more, and seeing as a lot of Ranger stuff synergizes with interrupting and CC, it might be an interesting addition. However, in a later expansion, I feel like the rifle is one of the more likely options. I do not seeing the hunter as completely antithetical as we aren't really hunting wildlife most of the time, but stuff like bounties and was going to be hunting dragons and dragon minions. But after EoD, the future is going to be really vague as GW2's main story comes to a close. So who knows, maybe a karka abomination needs to be eradicated and it's time for the heavy weaponry.

Though I feel like if rifle is released, it won't be a long ranged weapon, it would most likely be a mid-ranged shotgun, so AoE with more damage the closer you are, as that would fit the theme a bit more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Esorono.1039 said:

Interestingly, if you look in the Skirmishing traits for Rangers, there is a grandmaster trait named Quick Draw that has been around since release, which depicts a pistol. I believe pistol was actually taken into consideration for a while but then was later scrapped, leaving behind only that trait and reference to it. So I feel that a pistol or rifle is not really out of the realms of possibilities, but it seems the 'bunny thumper' would dig into nostalgia of GW1 veterans more, and seeing as a lot of Ranger stuff synergizes with interrupting and CC, it might be an interesting addition. However, in a later expansion, I feel like the rifle is one of the more likely options. I do not seeing the hunter as completely antithetical as we aren't really hunting wildlife most of the time, but stuff like bounties and was going to be hunting dragons and dragon minions. But after EoD, the future is going to be really vague as GW2's main story comes to a close. So who knows, maybe a karka abomination needs to be eradicated and it's time for the heavy weaponry.

Though I feel like if rifle is released, it won't be a long ranged weapon, it would most likely be a mid-ranged shotgun, so AoE with more damage the closer you are, as that would fit the theme a bit more.

The trait name has been around since release, however, the icon has not. Traits back then at release didn't have any icons to begin with, they were just numbered with Roman numbers from I to XIII.

The picture most likely is just a meme. The first association with the name "quick draw" for most people most likely would be old western movies, in which 2 guys have a stand off, drawing their revolver and shooting at each other, with the one drawing faster usually winning.

There are many icons in the game which are just memes like this.

You will never see a ranger run around with a light bulb or an umbrella lamp, yet ranger has these as icons for traits (Light on your Feet is a light bulb on top of some boots, Lingering Light is the umbrella lamp).

So I don't think that the pistol really means anything here, especially since anet made the statement themselves to not give ranger firearms because of the thematical disconnect from the ranger themes.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

The common reference I've seen here about the Warden when it comes to Hammer Ranger make sense. On a similar note, a theme around  "Guardian" of Nature/Forest/whatever would fit as well. Not everything needs to revolve around the classic RL idea that the forest ranger/hunter has a rifle (and hunting dog).

Gameplay-wise: Yes, hammers are slow (and clunky), but it's not the fault of the e-spec concept. Maybe Anet gives us a rapid-hit hammer like whack-a-mole or super mario with hammer  :P.

6 hours ago, Mahou.3924 said:

Gameplay-wise: Yes, hammers are slow (and clunky), but it's not the fault of the e-spec concept. Maybe Anet gives us a rapid-hit hammer like whack-a-mole or super mario with hammer  :P.

I am hoping for a more Revenant style hammer that is used to rouse nature spirits from their slumber by striking the ground. Give it a mid to long range non-projectile auto attack that summons piercing vines from below and a bunch of AoE damage attacks and it'd fill a very unique niche in our arsenal.

12 hours ago, Esorono.1039 said:

This is what I imagine too. It could have a 1,200 range but maximizes its damage at 300ish range and has a skill set revolving around ensnaring enemies in nets, pulling enemies with harpoons, and closing the distance rather than creating distance like the longbow does. Longbow is better at kiting while the rifle would be a pursuit weapon to stop enemies from escaping that can pair up nicely with greatsword, sword, or axes.

If the pull works like Scorpion Wire it'd give rangers a new value in sieges if nothing else. Maybe if we can make it unblockable through some utility skill we could have a niche of pulling people out of the enemy zerg.

On 9/3/2021 at 5:55 PM, Touchme.1097 said:

Druids in D&D reject technology and firearms, every game has its own philosophical view on each profession/class. Because Rangers can spec into Druids and they are attuned to nature in this game I would prohibit allowing them the use of firearms.

Hammers and other melee weapons can be made out of wood, it's up to the player to choose the right appearance of their weapons. Hammers are ok.

That makes no sense! Gun stocks are made of wood. Hammers have metal heads lol, guns have metal barrels, you see where this is going ya? the elite spec would not be a druid or a soulbeast, so yeah they can incorporate guns with a new version/spec of ranger.

Edited by Zuldari.3940

• 2 weeks later...