What can be done about afk pip farmers?

Orimidu.9604

These players take up a queue slot in wvw only to sit in a corner and autorun into a wall to avoid the afk timer. Since pips aren’t tied to participation higher than 3 it’s an easy and logical thing to do. Problem is it’s annoying to see when the server has an ongoing queue, these players become a waste of space. I know reporting them for botting isn’t the best option since they’re technically not botting, but this is still exploiting a workaround for the afk system.

Edited by Orimidu.9604
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

Whatever you do to them to limit things will probably impact regular players even more.

What they do now is pretty much the extent of the monitoring they can do. They've put a plastic fence around the playground, not 3m tall barbed wire wall with guardtowers and tanks. Though I do think they could block pips after the first tick while in spawn. At least try to bring AFKers into the combat area. But there is so many dark corners of the map they can hide regardless.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Whatever you do to them to limit things will probably impact regular players even more.

why?

just ban them for 7 days for afk pip farming, this will not affect other players and will make them stop doing it after 5-10 bans in a row.

ArenaNet just need to take a step and make some actions. Problem solved.

Edited by Daredevil.2745
  • Confused 3

37 minutes ago, Daredevil.2745 said:

why?

just ban them for 7 days for afk pip farming, this will not affect other players and will make them stop doing it after 5-10 bans in a row.

ArenaNet just need to take a step and make some actions. Problem solved.

Because they'd need GMs in WvW 24/7 to monitor for AFK players. They'd then need to verify those players are actually AFK farming and not just running into a wall while chatting or something. (They've said chatting counts as not AFK).

The list goes on. Players always think the solutions are simple, but they're not.

And no matter what you do players will find a way to game the system because that's what Humans are best at. We're good at building things but we're excellent at breaking them.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1

TC is in tier 2 this week.  And, facing a particular server, the popular streamer, as always, has his 300 AP alt standing in a corner near spawn, tag watching and taking up a slot.  Every time we face them, he parks his alt for the entire match without logging off.  Reporting does nothing.  Really wish Anet would handle this crap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Ubi.4136 said:

TC is in tier 2 this week.  And, facing a particular server, the popular streamer, as always, has his 300 AP alt standing in a corner near spawn, tag watching and taking up a slot.  Every time we face them, he parks his alt for the entire match without logging off.  Reporting does nothing.  Really wish Anet would handle this crap.

Go invisible, wreck some of his stuff then show up on his stream to ask him if his alt is actually helping.  🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

the way to stop afk pip farming is by reducing the completely ridiculous amounts of time it takes to finish the diamond chest. 6 weeks of diamond chest for the ring.

Everyone who hasnt played thousands of hours wvsw gets ~7 pips without outnumbered. Thats more than 17 hours! Who even balanced this. For comparision: Maxing out the raid timegate ring takes approx 1.5h PER WEEK. And I need even 30h in wvsw because i only get 4 pips. How am i supposed to even do this without afk leeching? I cant and dont want to play 30h per week wvsw.

It should take maximum 6h per week to max out on timegated resources.

For real. The wvsw pip system is the biggest waste of time i've come across. The worst is that you get rewarded for playing at off hours and being semi afk on an empty map for the outnumbered bonus.

On 9/6/2021 at 5:00 AM, Ubi.4136 said:

I know a lot of players who do this. Cant blame them. Fix the system not the players. Or even better, actually reward players for playing wvsw instead of it being such a ridiculous timewaste.

Why tf am I supposed to play 4.3h per day for 6 weeks just to get skirmishing tickets? Thats in the fractal god league of time commitment. Fractal god is not the only not unique legendary ring though and in fact does nothing outside of fractals....

And this is only for the ring. Getting the armor takes even more time because you need to get the level up first and the tickets. Im fine with it being timegated. Taking 30h INGAME TIME to even max the resource per week is just not ok. Players will find ways to afk leech this.

This is not even about git gud. The only influence i have on this is getting outnumbered and a high server tick. Even with 100% outnumbered and first place it would still take 12h for me.

Edited by Nephalem.8921
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Unless I'm missing something you can't afk farm on WvW maps because you don't receive any participation, unless you have shared participation from an active squad.

Seems more like people who is saving a place on the map to play later without waiting on queue, I see a lot of that on EB.

Edited by Telgum.6071

4 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Unless I'm missing something you can't afk farm on WvW maps because you don't receive any participation, unless you have shared participation from an active squad.

Seems more like people who is saving a place on the map to play later without waiting on queue, I see a lot of that on EB.

You need to reset participation once every 10min. there are various ways to afk for 9+ min and then reset and back to afk.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

You need to reset participation once every 10min. there are various ways to afk for 9+ min and then reset and back to afk.

For example? As far as I've experienced killing a dolyak or a sentry doesn't gives the same participation that killing a certain number of enemies, so I'm not really sure about that.

Just now, Telgum.6071 said:

For example? As far as I've experienced killing a dolyak or a sentry doesn't gives the same participation that killing a certain number of enemies, so I'm not really sure about that.

A camp or tower gives 10 minutes.  A veteran creature (that counts for daily) gives 5 minutes.

Now, if you want to be really AFK, make sure your team owns SMC, build a treb on the third floor that can hit an enemy tower, find a way to press down your activate/charge/fire button for the treb for max range and voila!  Of course, you’ll likely die lol.. 

13 hours ago, azizul.8469 said:

I don't consider capping camp every 10 minutes as afk, I consider it smart way of pip farming in accordance to Anet rule....

Well if you actually play this game mode, you probably wouldn't need to bother. But it's definitely possible to do it with minimal activity.

PvErs that are just here for the shiny tend to want to find ways to come in and get out.

The rewards system as is is pretty bad regardless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

At least i've seen queues on T1 EU during the weekend on EBG, chatmanders tagged up, but not even with full squads or that many people around as far as I could see.

It's just puzzling, cause most of the time I can't find these players around, so they don't  contribute much, they don't even roam afaik.

Edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048

Probably the simplest solution to get rid of afk pip farmers is to allow pips in EotM as well. That will likely shunt all of the pip farmers (both afk and active) over there since EotM as a whole is fairly deserted and you likely won't encounter anybody trying to stop you from flipping sentries or reactors. That frees up the main bulk of WvW for the genuine players. (And if it turns out that there's now loads of afkers/idlers in EotM and reduced numbers in main WvW, well... that speaks to deeper issues about the fun and attractiveness of WvW when it comes to rewards.)

30 minutes ago, Zaxares.5419 said:

Probably the simplest solution to get rid of afk pip farmers is to allow pips in EotM as well. That will likely shunt all of the pip farmers (both afk and active) over there since EotM as a whole is fairly deserted and you likely won't encounter anybody trying to stop you from flipping sentries or reactors. That frees up the main bulk of WvW for the genuine players. (And if it turns out that there's now loads of afkers/idlers in EotM and reduced numbers in main WvW, well... that speaks to deeper issues about the fun and attractiveness of WvW when it comes to rewards.)

No.

@Obtena.7952 has a better solution.

if you want the WvW armor, you play WvW.  

if you just want legendary, and don’t want to do WvW, do raids?  Or, ask for a new area.  EoTM should just have a skirmish track for pips.