WINDOWS Minimum System Requirements
Windows® 7 or better (64 bit only)
Intel®i3 3.4 GHz / AMD Athlon x4 3.8 GHz or better
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 / AMD Radeon HD 7970 / Intel Iris 600 series
55GB available HDD space
Broadband Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse
Note: Due to potential changes, system requirements may change over time and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game.

There's also help page article with somewhat lower requirements for EoD (likely not updated): https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201862958-Minimum-System-Requirements

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Hmm that video card requirement confuses me.  A 7970 or Iris 540 (that's integrated graphics) which is a pretty huge range. Not that it would matter for me. I have a 1060 in my desktop and a 1650ti in my laptop  (though that's not that much better than a 7970/680 I think? ). Currently, the requirement is basically nonexistent

As for the i3, it looks like 3rd gen or better? Not much though still an increase from the current game requirements. Currently the requirement is core 2 quad which is extremely old and predates the Intel core line (that's like the first quad cores lol)

Looks like a sizable bump overall

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

Hope so.  I only have an i5 @ 2.3GHz (8 CPUs).

Minimum requirements always confuse me.

I'm sure I have the extra 5GB of SSD space, though. 

Considering it was slow, but could still run the game, this computer is much better than my old one (2 Core Duo) which I used up until 2 year ago. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234

Most ppl after 18y old that work prob will answer as yes cuz -cost of life you can buy new pc in 1-3monts of work 

And even if you got hight cost of life most shops offer 1x10 up to 1x30 rates with 0% cost

Ps. Steam deck + mouse + keyboard prob will be able to handle gw2 too

Also never buy mac's cuz its scam writed from back

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I guess DxDiag must be wrong then, as well as my CPU Usage app.  Ack! 

Well you got 4 cores and 8 threads. Presumably a laptop - desktop i5 doesnt have hyperthreading so there you would have either 4c/4t or 6c/6t unless its an antique.

GW2 wouldnt even make full use of 4 cores though. Or 2 for that matter.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

As others have said, the requirements look modest enough we should be fine if we're running the current game.

If your computer is older, it may only have a hard drive, not an solid state drive. I built my desktop back when ssds were still a fairly new thing and quite expensive, so I stuck with a hard drive. About a year ago I finally added an ssd and migrated the operating system and all software to it. It made a huge difference in GW2, as loading times shrank drastically.

When I played GW2 with my kids we'd have to arm wrestle over who got to use the desktop and who had to use the laptop.

I was a little more intimidated to open up my laptop. It's easier to muck around when you built the machine in the first place. My laptop was older though, and it had a hdd with a small ssd just for caching. I replaced the hdd with a ssd, and now we don't jockey for who gets to use which machine. It made a world of difference.

Adding an solid state drive to your computer is extremely easy, and about $100 will get you a decent 1TB drive. There are youtube videos everywhere on how to do it. Migrating your OS and is a little more technical, but there's software out there to help you do it and it's easy to find step by step instructions.

--------------

TL;DR I highly recommend adding/upgrading to an solid state drive if your machine only has a hard drive. It's easy to do, and cheap (for computer upgrades) at about $100.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Well you got 4 cores and 8 threads. Presumably a laptop - desktop i5 doesnt have hyperthreading so there you would have either 4c/4t or 6c/6t unless its an antique.

GW2 wouldnt even make full use of 4 cores though. Or 2 for that matter.

But the DX11 will, right? 

28 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

But the DX11 will, right? 

Most people dont really understand now the DX9 vs DX11 works. 

In DX9 whenever the CPU pushes a request for rendering to the GPU. All those requests are pushed through a single core / thread. DX11 adresses this issue by making it capable to push these requests via multiple cores / threads.

That is why, when you play GW2 now and there are a lot of players / NPC your FPS takes a dive. There are a lot of characters, that need to be rendered and every single rendering request goes through the same core. HOWEVER. Everything else that does not have anything to do with rendering is still capable of using multicore CPUs even in DX9.

So basicly if you go into dungeon or fractal or anywhere with just a few characters and your game still runs like crap, then DX11 will not help you at all.

Edited by Chrysaliss.8720
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chrysaliss.8720 said:

Most people dont really understand now the DX9 vs DX11 works. 

In DX9 whenever the CPU pushes a request for rendering to the GPU. All those requests are pushed through a single core / thread. DX11 adresses this issue by making it capable to push these requests via multiple cores / threads.

That is why, when you play GW2 now and there are a lot of players / NPC your FPS takes a dive. There are a lot of characters, that need to be rendered and every single rendering request goes through the same core. HOWEVER. Everything else that does not have anything to do with rendering is still capable of using multicore CPUs even in DX9.

So basicly if go into dungeon or fractal or anywhere with just a few characters and your game still runs like crap, then DX11 will not help you at all.

Thanks for the explanation! I really had no idea myself, beyond that it allowed multi-threading, so will make use of hardware we have but isn't being utilized.

I don't have a ton of trouble, even in large groups on my machine. My biggest issue is loading into a highly populated area like LA or with a big group that has all waypointed together. Sometimes I end up buried in the ground up to my waist as if I'm riding a mount that isn't there. The game is tracking my mount, because if I move forward eventually it rubberbands me to the position I would have reached, but for a couple of seconds it doesn't want to render it.

Sounds like DX11 might help with that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Thanks for the explanation! I really had no idea myself, beyond that it allowed multi-threading, so will make use of hardware we have but isn't being utilized.

I don't have a ton of trouble, even in large groups on my machine. My biggest issue is loading into a highly populated area like LA or with a big group that has all waypointed together. Sometimes I end up buried in the ground up to my waist as if I'm riding a mount that isn't there. The game is tracking my mount, because if I move forward eventually it rubberbands me to the position I would have reached, but for a couple of seconds it doesn't want to render it.

Sounds like DX11 might help with that?

That sounds more like a Hard drive or a RAM issue. Do you use magnetic drive or SSD?