New Elementalist Elite Spec: The Catalyst

Xanhawk.3806

18 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

I would guess that ele gets wells as utility skills, with the phoenix and dragon being fancy animations for their wells.

Then the mechanic seems to be "augments", t least they talked about augments which will also improve the well abilities if the augment is used inside the well.

There are 4 cardinal celestials in cantha which could be the theme here.

They are phoenix, dragon, kirin and dragonturtle.

Kirin may be water, phoenix is fire, dragon is air and turtle is earth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, InsaneQR.7412 said:

Shouldn't dragon be water and kirin air?

Dragons are usually connected to water in Asian cultures.

Edited by Kodama.6453

It sounds to me like augment skills will likely be the new attunement mechanic, serving as a flip-over skill within range of the wells. Could be interesting, but my main concern would be how they distinguish the playstyle from Weaver. I guess it could be less mobile/more tanky bruiser while Weaver is a faster, more agile duelist relying on active defense?

I still need more info on Friday, but I think carving out a role for the Catalyst without just making it better Weaver would require some very unique traits paired with some refinement of the Weaver's traits. It would be a fine line to walk because eles can already build, especially in the case of PvP, for a more bruiser Weaver (albeit at the cost of significant damage potential). If they just say that a Catalyst has built-in sustain so you don't have to sacrifice damage, I don't see how that isn't just usurping Weaver altogether. Likewise if they introduce similar tradeoffs for damage and survivability, I think it would just end up feeling like Weaver with a hammer and some flashier animations. 

I'm sure the flow of the Catalyst will feel very different, but it's going to be... interesting to say the least to see how the devs carve out a unique role for consecutive melee specs for ele.

Edited by Tempest.8479

I feel like the specs this year aren't meant for people who play that class as a main but instead to draw people who main other classes to the spec.  For example, I main a Thief and a Warrior and this looks interesting.  Long term, it could be healthy for the game if people start new characters.  Sorry Ele mains but if I'm correct you are going to love the new Thief spec.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

Not in this one, the dragon references Kuunavang who's most prominent attacks are Corrupted Breath and Dark Chain Lightning

Just adding to this, but you could also capture the elite air magic skill Lightning Surge from the celestial dragon boss Tahmu in Factions.

Edited by Tempest.8479

20 minutes ago, InsaneQR.7412 said:

Kirin would be cool. Only know them from Monster Hunter where they are lightning, but Water/Ice would also be cool, especially as i have senn Frozen 2 today, now I want my pony 😋

29 minutes ago, Naneel.2348 said:

What other animals do you refer to? Phoenix is fire and the dragon seems to be Air, Water look like a skelk or something similar.

Dragon, phoenix, kirin, dragon tortoise. The celestial animals in the Weh No Su quest in GW1.

Slowed the video down to a quarter speed, and it looks like the animal might change when you change attunement, and I think there was a glimpse of a kirin in between the phoenix and dragon - probably representing water attunement by the orb colours. So earth is probably going to be the Rockhide Dragon (aka dragon tortoise).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1