Favorite/Least Favorite Class to Fight Against

Favorite/Least Favorite Class to Fight Against  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Class to Fight Against (can select multiple)

• Elementalist
    • Ranger
    • Warrior
    • Guardian
    • Mesmer
    • Thief
    • Revenant
    • Necromancer
    • Engineer
  2. 2. Least Favorite Class to Fight Against (can select multiple)

• Elementalist
    • Ranger
    • Warrior
    • Guardian
    • Mesmer
    • Thief
    • Revenant
    • Necromancer
    • Engineer

Too lazy to list out every spec. feel free to call out specific specs or builds or mechanics in general.

I think maximizing selections in list A and minimizing selections in list B should be a goal in pvp/wvw class balance.

I think it would also be helpful to explain why you made your selections.

For me my decisions boil down to:
Like: even if I lose its obvious to me what I could have done better. 
Dislike: if I lose its not obvious what I could have done better.
"obvious" boils down to clean animations with reasonably obvious tells for big damage (opposed to another nebulous animation among many)

One example of things to improve "obvious" would be better adherence or a standardization of visual implication.
The guardian well that causes damage crossing the barrier is not at all obvious unless you go make a guardian and read the skill or search out guardian skills online.
One way to fix this is to change the ring so that it has an inner and outer red ring making it more clear that the damage occurs at the membrane of the well.

a lot of ppl complained about longbow rangers. one thing to help would make the knockback more obvious and slow down the auto attack rate.

Edited by HumanComplex.1648

Talking purely based on Conquest here.

• Guardian
  • Necro
  • Engineer

Because those are quite obvious in their skill set and rotations. Those are good classes to read and fight against. You feel like you're reacting to their gamestyle, despite winning or losing

• Ranger
  • Thief
  • Revenant
  • Mesmer

Classes that are simply annoying to me to fight against due to multiple reasons.

• Ranger: most obvious is the pet damage. Second would be the traitlines that are quite strong and mend in with utilities much better
  • Thief: as a thief main, I know what to expect but fighting one makes you realise whatever you do, it doesn't matter much due to stealth and disengage. When playing necro for example, I feel why Thieves can peel them easily or counter Warrior
  • Revenant: In all honesty, I barely touched Revenant so I have completely no clue what it does. What I do know (and see) is that it simply destroys a lot and avoiding damage while doing so. No matter what class I take, I feel mostly powerless vs any good Revenant
  • Mesmer: Mainly targting. Its very hard to focus down the mesmer with any class outside Thief as u can stealth and wait it out. With any other class, its terribly hard for me. Not that I always lose, it just requires most focus to fight against
  • Like 2

Funny how ranger is getting multiple votes for unfavorite to fight against. But I voted the same. There's popping up a lot of burst/stealth builds or very high trap condi builds. 

Both are survivable if you're aware of the incoming attack. But I wouldn't consider them fun as compared to others. Rangers can always surprise you.

For some reason I'd rather fight a stealth theif than stealth ranger. Or condi necro rather than condi ranger. Probably cause I'm more familiar with they're fighting style. 

1 minute ago, Genesis.5169 said:

I only came here to see mesmer top the list of things i dont like to fight cause this community is....yeah you guys can finish my sentence.

Honest? I personally don't know any person who enjoys fighting against visual clusterkitten on screen of flashy effects like Mesmer. 0 visibility, many instant casts, some stealths, ports and mess with visual effects and on top of that clones, what's so fun about it?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

Honest? I personally don't know any person who enjoys fighting against visual clusterkitten on screen of flashy effects like Mesmer. 0 visibility, many instant casts, some stealths, ports and mess with visual effects and on top of that clones, what's so fun about it?

Yeah they would rather fight and ele for 10mins or be erased by a rev in 2 buttons in shiro because they can perceive how fast they died but my god if a mirage confuses you for 3 seconds while taking a whole 3mins to kill you that can't happen. Yeah this community XD. Also they ignore the fact that mesmer is balanced from the aspect of they will confuse you and if you don't it all falls apart. Keep on keeping on dude.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

Ooh! Don't forget all the invul spam, instant cast CC from 1200 range, and the trait that allows interrupts to put skills on 15s CD! Very fun, indeed!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Ooh! Don't forget all the invul spam, instant cast CC from 1200 range, and the trait that allows interrupts to put skills on 15s CD! Very fun, indeed!

And no mesmer is never gonna live longer then a warrior, ele, engineer, or guardian, rev, and the other people who are less tanky then mesmer do far more damage. Nobody ever looks at the big picture. People would rather endlessly fight an good ele then fight a mirage for 3mins tops even tho you'll beat the mirage and not the ele you all hate the mesmer more.

Look at that 1 vote for least liked is ele, and ELE is prolly the best dueler in the entire game right now thats the GW2 community the devs have been following people like those guys lead image that.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Likes (at a core playstyle level) :

Warrior, Revenant, Thief, Engineer

Dislikes (at a core playstyle level):

Ranger, Mesmer.

Explanation:

The classes under "liked" feel fun to fight. Even if they get the drop on you/are annoying as in the case of thief/revenant, your hits on them mean something and can cause their entire rotation to change due to panic. Stunbreaks on these classes are distinct and can be punished, and they rely on key skills to do significant damage, which are dodgeable. Fighting one of these and winning feels rewarding, and if you lose it is usually due to a critical error you made on your part. 

The classes under "disliked", while Mesmer in particular is approaching balance, feel annoying to fight. 

In the case of Ranger:

The pressure is entirely on the opponent to make it to the ranger while being harassed by their pet, then do damage to them. LoS is not always useful vs them due to the fact that their pet will pressure you even while they may not personally have a clear sight to you, and this often flushes you out of LoS anyway. On soulbeast, damaging the pet is not a counter to this because they can reset it through merge/unmerge. 

Upon making it to the ranger for damage, their stunbreaks are low cooldown and provide additional mobility, and running sword /swoop merge compounds this significantly. They rarely, if ever, experience pressure in a fight from melee oriented classes, and can outpressure other ranged ones. 

In the case of Mesmer: 

Same thing, pressure wise. It feels like the burden of the combat is on the opponent, rather than shared between them and the mesmer. While they are slow and can often be outrun before being able to down you now, it still doesn't feel very rewarding to fight them, particularly in the case of mirage due to the Mirage Cloak mechanic. You land a key setup? It's nullified if they have full endurance. They don't have full endurance? It's nullified if they have Cry of Frustration with Blinding Dissipation slotted. Thats on cooldown? It's nullified if they have Diversion. That off cooldown too? If they have distortion it's also nullified. 

Now, mind you, the class itself is approaching balance. Vs. a good Staff mesmer though, it feels like I'm fighting their cooldowns more than the actual mesmer. Nothing short of grievous incoming damage that they don't expect really makes them do anything different, so fights vs good Staff mesmers feel like a slog.

This is turned completely on its head if you're fighting a power oriented mesmer. That feels much better. Greatsword/Sword mesmers are pleasant fights and usually losses vs those are deserved.

The classes in between/not mentioned vary, but can approach like/dislike based on build. I dislike bunker necros but like glass ones, and I dislike scepter eles but like good weavers, etc/etc 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Genesis.5169 said:

And no mesmer is never gonna live longer then a warrior, ele, engineer, or guardian, rev, and the other people who are less tanky then mesmer do far more damage. Nobody ever looks at the big picture. People would rather endlessly fight an good ele then fight a mirage for 3mins tops even tho you'll beat the mirage and not the ele you all hate the mesmer more.

Look at that 1 vote for least liked is ele, and ELE is prolly the best dueler in the entire game right now thats the GW2 community the devs have been following people like those guys lead image that.

Any class with a healing amulet...becomes "best" duellist when it's all about keeping a point in a fringe game mode.....everywhe else they laugh at your bunker build, what are you gonna kill with it?...and you think to be any better than the people who voted mesmer...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genesis.5169 said:

You're bad. if you can't survive longer than a Warrior as a Mesmer you're just dog water. You have z-axis teleports, invulvn > berserker stance, endure pain, because it works vs everything. You have stealth on top of that too. Don't even use max hp as an excuse as to why Warrior survives longer, you're just bad.

Baiting dodges with phantasms (which are like ranger pets but temporary) and being able to bait dodges because of the fact that you can't tell if it's mind wrack or confuse shatter is hard.

Your class has to be UP to be balanced, stop pretending you're special.

Typical fail victim mesmer player.

P.S everytime Mesmer was "viable" the game wasn't fun, look at chrono bunker. Mesmer is a historically privileged class played by fail privileged rich kids who cry and go back to an easier class when they fail at a harder spec. Daily reminder that evade spamming while attacking is hard, and if it wasn't for Guard/Ranger/Necro Mes would be the easiest class in the game. At least Warrior has to land telegraphed attacks while using LONG COOL DOWN INVULNS JUST SO I DON' GET BLIND SPAMMED OR BURSTED while I dps vs. actually non-fraud good players, at least Engi had a point in time where it had to skill shot and land 1200 range grenades, at least Thief in sPvP can't simply just tank AoE's like mesmers do and have to out-rotate.

Edited by BlackTruth.6813
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Tried investing into sustain maybe? I'm pretty sure if Ele has used the same amulet and offensive traits they would melt 10x faster than any Mesmer, just because of stealth access only and that's a fact.
The thing with Ele is that you actually see them for WHOLE fight unless they'll blast some smoke fields provided by someone else, that is already 10x better than fighting any Mesmer or Teef. On top of that, Mirage is a kitten mistake as an e-spec, it's as toxic as Teefs with how it plays, no one gonna enjoy that cheese.

Also imagine complaining about Warriors and implying your life is harder as a Mesmer in 2021.

1.) Learn to count dodges vs Warrior, we have 2 endurance dodges and whirlwind attack, all 3 dodges can be baited out in a short period if you know what you are doing (which you don't), 4 if it's full counter but unblockables have always > full counter

2.) Learn how to bait stances, Endure Pain only work vs. power damage it's not a Mesmer invuln stop crying. Blind spam and weakness can bait out Berserker stance easily, some of us kind of have to use berserk stance while dpsing so we don't get trolled by blinds and weakness. Stop crying about Warrior sustain.

3.) Max HP + heavy armor doesn't really compare to Necro's constant sustain or evade spam/block spam/invuln spams

4.) Apparently there were no Warriors on the recent MAT, I wonder why.

5.) Warrior can't simply follow a z-axis teleport so it's easier to kite Warriors because they are telegraphed non-instant cast class.

The fact that the kid said Warrior has higher uptime than Mesmer proves he's bad at the game. You don't have a concept of counting/baiting dodges and stun breaks.

You are simply dog water and no one should take you seriously when you are crying about Warrior in 2021.

Edited by BlackTruth.6813

47 minutes ago, BlackTruth.6813 said:

Also imagine complaining about Warriors and implying your life is harder as a Mesmer in 2021.

1.) Learn to count dodges vs Warrior, we have 2 endurance dodges and whirlwind attack, all 3 dodges can be baited out in a short period if you know what you are doing (which you don't), 4 if it's full counter but unblockables have always > full counter

2.) Learn how to bait stances, Endure Pain only work vs. power damage it's not a Mesmer invuln stop crying. Blind spam and weakness can bait out Berserker stance easily, some of us kind of have to use berserk stance while dpsing so we don't get trolled by blinds and weakness. Stop crying about Warrior sustain.

3.) Max HP + heavy armor doesn't really compare to Necro's constant sustain or evade spam/block spam/invuln spams

4.) Apparently there were no Warriors on the recent MAT, I wonder why.

5.) Warrior can't simply follow a z-axis teleport so it's easier to kite Warriors because they are telegraphed non-instant cast class.

The fact that the kid said Warrior has higher uptime than Mesmer proves he's bad at the game. You don't have a concept of counting/baiting dodges and stun breaks.

You are simply dog water and no one should take you seriously when you are crying about Warrior in 2021.

Uh I think you should not use stances

1 hour ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

Tried investing into sustain maybe? I'm pretty sure if Ele has used the same amulet and offensive traits they would melt 10x faster than any Mesmer, just because of stealth access only and that's a fact.
The thing with Ele is that you actually see them for WHOLE fight unless they'll blast some smoke fields provided by someone else, that is already 10x better than fighting any Mesmer or Teef. On top of that, Mirage is a kitten mistake as an e-spec, it's as toxic as Teefs with how it plays, no one gonna enjoy that cheese.

Inspiration + Signet trait + signet of illusion is that enough mitigation in wizards + lyssa (if dealing with condition damage) or rabid + undead (if dealing with wow this boasts 2.2k toughness and 1700 condition damage) is that enough sustain?

Or i can roll up chaos and get the regen talent.

Edited by Genesis.5169

Personally for me its not about a class but a build.
I like fighting squishy classes that can die.
So any dps oriented class is a fun fight for me.
I like fighting soulbeasts, power heralds, dps mesmers, nades holo, even despite some of them being too strong rn.
Hate playing against bunkers and supports that turn others into bunkers, any support warrior, support guard, bunker scrapper, condi herald or necro of any kind is just not interesting.

Annoying things :
bunker rangers just waiting for pets to do the thing,
invuln spam mesmer
full defense thief ( d/p) immortal pest, nothing interesting
condi herald ( thank to god nerfed now ) just sits there and outheals dmg
condi weaver ( one of the dumbest fights 1v1 ) You can die to it, press tab and see you did 100k dmg, but he is at full with 50% max HP barrier, sits there, spams aoe, heals with everything, barriers with everything, none of the sustain can be stopped, countered or interrupted. Just a battle of raw HP vs your will to stay awake ( for me its a necro in disguise ) " dont mind power weaver, other then weakness spam, kitten rng 50/50 "

Super fun things to fight.
power mesmer/condi mesmer ( dps variants )
power holo
power herald ( assuming to kitten premade, it only gets miserable when entire meta comps come into play )
dps ranger ( power or condi, as long as its dps oriented, condi bird is equally annoying to fight as full bunker power )
dps reaper ( not the kitten we call reaper now, with vita amulet and vita traits, dps all the way )
And it might sound weird but I dont mind fighting power DH, never really had issues with them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackTruth.6813 said:

implying your life is harder as a Mesmer in 2021.

Are you suggesting my life as a mesmer is easier in 2021, with one dodge and old chaotic interruption is gone and a vastly weaker version of power block and no weakness on clone destruction trait? With a mutilated chrono traitline?

Edited by Genesis.5169

Warrior is most fun since they dont have annoying aoe and the animations are noticable. They feel the most true to original gw2 design. Ranger is second because of those reasons too.

Least favorite will always be thief. Stealth isnt fun to fight against and a good thief will always outlast your cooldowns. Condi mesmer is next. They can passively do damage while focusing on avoiding it.

• Like 3

Playing a bunker build as intended by the dev, for warrior

Don't really have a least favorite class to fight against in Conquest, because people are forced to deal with you in Conquest.

But I  don't have a favorite either, because everything is boring when nothing dies.

In the PvP lobby I dislike thieves that kite me for 40 real life minutes. Those are 40 minutes we can both never get back. 

If by some miracle you happen to be reading this; PLEASE, for both our sakes... Just lay down your weapons and lets hug it out.

My eyes are watering, and i'm pretty sure i'm developing carpal tunnel. ☹️

• Haha 2

I voted for liking to fight guardians, warriors and engis.

I main guardian so fighting these classes feels like very exciting duels to see who knows their profession better. Obvious tells on most skills, and exploitable weaknesses (guardian weakness to strike damage spikes, warrior and engi weakness to condi spikes). The exception to this would be trap DH with rune of the trapper which i hate.

I voted for hating to fight: necros, eles, and rangers

I hate any build that can knock off more than half of my health in an instant and i hate classes with lots of npcs. I hate almost every necro spec. scourge won't let anything die, reaper does way too much burst damage with so much defensive utility and i HATE minion mancer. Eles are memes, but i am irritated that people keep saying ele is bad until a weaver who wont die rolls up who also instantly wipes half of your health away (this is probably a concern for low hp professions though). And rngs for pretty much the same reasons, i hate the pet and i hate the burst spikes from invisible. The invisible trap rng user is also infuriating on top of that stupid plant pet. Just very frustrating gameplay experience. 

While mesmer and thf are also bursty professions that have npcs and can attack from stealth, i find that they're are glassy enough that you can easily retaliate. Mesmer clones die fast, and sometimes you accidentally kill a thf you didn't even notice was there, so i don't feel frustrated fighting them nor do i enjoy fighting them either. 

Edited by Kuya.6495

23 minutes ago, Kuya.6495 said:

I voted for hating to fight: necros, eles, and rangers

I hate any build that can knock off more than half of my health in an instant and i hate classes with lots of npcs. I hate almost every necro spec. scourge won't let anything die, reaper does way too much burst damage with so much defensive utility and i HATE minion mancer. Eles are memes, but i am irritated that people keep saying ele is bad until a weaver who wont die rolls up who also instantly wipes half of your health away (this is probably a concern for low hp professions though). And rngs for pretty much the same reasons, i hate the pet and i hate the burst spikes from invisible. The invisible trap rng user is also infuriating on top of that stupid plant pet. Just very frustrating gameplay experience. 

Categorizing weaver with necro (minion) and ranger? Ouch. Everyone entitled to their opinion but I suggest you try playing one.

i dont even need to vote, of course popular favorite would be warrior, it's skill is fair and reactive and fighting it would be skill based and thus give satisfaction

give you a sense of "yes, i beat it because of my skills and knowledge." with very little BS moments coming from warrior

tho some of the time, it's just your gimmick/cheap mechanics of other classes that helped you beat it.

other classes are less favorite, because there's more BS moments, more gimmick, cheap tricks that makes you feel BS, unreactive, random, uncontrollable and stall.