Dungeons  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to make dungeons?

• No
    • Yes
  2. 2. You still keep doing dungeons?

• No
    • Yes
  3. 3. What is needed that you would like to make dungeons daily again?

• Better rewards at the end (more gold)
    • Adjustable difficulty (making it harder or easier)
    • Finding people easier and faster
    • Everyday there is a new daily dungeon with nice rewards
    • New items to buy from dungeon tokens
    • Adjustable groupsize. Anything between 2 and 10 man works.
    • It's fine as it is
    • Other

You know back at release i hated dungeons and i used to complain about them.. But in hindsight i feel they were fun. The community imo was a large reason they sucked bad as the elitism was over 9000 and people were charging to do them..

Then fractals got made..........🤢🥵🥶🤬

And then there were Raids...........👿🙀😱

You know what dungeons were epic and i enjoyed them a lot, bagging them out at the time, i was an idiot... If only i knew Anet could make even worse horrible things... i'd have raved about the old dungeons from the roof tops..

Things you cannot see in the future i guess..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

45 minutes ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

I'd love to vote, but it won't let me unless I check something in the 3rd question. Personally I still play dungeons regularly because I very much enjoy them and find the rewards more than adequate, so none of the options you listed for the 3rd point apply to me.

Sorry I forgot the option "other" ...can't change it now 😞

So u run dungeons daily? If not daily but only weekly or every 2nd day...would any option help u to make it daily? Then u could still vote :)

Edited by moony.5780

1 hour ago, moony.5780 said:

So u run dungeons daily? If not daily but only weekly or every 2nd day...would any option help u to make it daily? Then u could still vote 🙂

I don't run anything daily, and I don't intend to run anything daily. GW2 is entertainment, not a 2nd job. I'm about 30 years past the age when I might've felt the need to repeat any gaming content daily.

Adding rewards that make people feel like they "need" to run specific content daily is a major step towards addiction. This game is pretty good at avoiding such addiction traps, unlike some of its competitors, and I sincerely hope that it stays that way.

• Like 4

I like dungeons and I still do them periodically, but I'm never going to do them on a daily basis because I just don't have time for that. There's nothing in GW2 I do every day except pick up the login reward (and that's not literally every day because some days I can't get online). I don't even gather from the nodes in my home instance every day because sometimes I don't have time or don't feel like it.

I probably could do a dungeon every day I'm online, but then I'd have less time for everything else in the game and I rather play a variety of things than the same thing over and over. Even if Anet regularly added new dungeons I'd still want to play everything else so I'd still skip doing dungeons a lot of the time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

I don't run anything daily, and I don't intend to run anything daily. GW2 is entertainment, not a 2nd job. I'm about 30 years past the age when I might've felt the need to repeat any gaming content daily.

Adding rewards that make people feel like they "need" to run specific content daily is a major step towards addiction. This game is pretty good at avoiding such addiction traps, unlike some of its competitors, and I sincerely hope that it stays that way.

Thanks for sharing your opinion:) I really like and appreciate your point of view.

I'm sorry for not adding the "other" option or even the option "it's fine as it is".  It's hard to know how a discussion goes while making the poll :)...

Unluckily it destroys the whole poll, because the question "do u still run dungeons" will never have "yes".

Edited by moony.5780

I have to admit I don't understand the problem other people have with dungeons. I don't do them that often but whenever I've wanted to do one I've been able to either find a group or I've started a group in LFG and it's filled up and we've been able to complete the dungeon. That's all I need from them. But maybe I'm just lucky in this respect and other people have trouble getting a group together?

Unless you have trouble finding 4 other people to do a dungeon when you want to I don't understand why it matters how many people are doing dungeons or how often.

We have to be honest with ourselves in saying that any organized group content in the current internet social atmosphere is a leap of faith, and a risk to your integrity, credibility, and sanity.  People know that, and it's why they do dungeons less.  Personally I've given up on subjecting myself to the whims of other people for this type of group content, which is precisely why I play GW2, because open world does it all without the hassle.  Other than providing "essential" rewards, like Fractals do, I don't see much of a profound appeal for reviving them in the minds of the average player.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

So what you are saying is they cant walk and chew gum at the same time.

No what they are saying the developers that worked on dungeons used some wonky code that noone at the studio know how to work anymore so they would have to redo all the dungeons from scrach and then make new ones.

They found it easier just do do fractals from the ground up and not redo the old dungeons.

16 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

No what they are saying the developers that worked on dungeons used some wonky code that noone at the studio know how to work anymore so they would have to redo all the dungeons from scrach and then make new ones.

They found it easier just do do fractals from the ground up and not redo the old dungeons.

I think thats not a good excuse, its dont matter what code they used designers and developers have to deal with old code all the time when their previous devs leave. If you know code you know how to work with it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Dungeon is easy fix. More things to buy from dungeon tokens, perhaps more gold according to difficulty level. Lastly REDO the cinematics replacing 2 man side to side speaking gesturing on a static background with new high res cinematics. The story telling part could be so much better. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

I would just like to merge dungeons into Fractals at this point tbh. It would revitalise both game modes. And before you complain, remember that many of the existing Fractals were dungeons originally.

It would revitalise dungeons yes but not fractals.

Some fractals are living world story steps repurposed as fractals, they were never dungeons

• Confused 1

There was no "nothing would get me to try dungeons" option, so I put other on the last part xd

Not interested in them, nor fractals, nor raids, nor strikes. WvW player here and I wish my favorite gamemode gave a fraction of the gold per hour that this "under rewarded" gamemode does. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nighthawk.2401 said:

There was no "nothing would get me to try dungeons" option, so I put other on the last part xd

Not interested in them, nor fractals, nor raids, nor strikes. WvW player here and I wish my favorite gamemode gave a fraction of the gold per hour that this "under rewarded" gamemode does. 

Im fine with that if they put in daily/weekly locks on the boosted rewards similar to fractals and raid have.

That or they lock the content after you earned a fixed anmunt and you had to wait for next day.

14 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

It would revitalise dungeons yes but not fractals.

Some fractals are living world story steps repurposed as fractals, they were never dungeons

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The Aetherblade & Molten Alliance Fractal sets (including Mai Trin, etc.) were originally very long  5man dungeons introduced during LWS1 for a limited time.

They were exactly like the original dungeons that came with the game, but only had story mode.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Molten_Facility

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aetherblade_Retreat

Edited by Hannelore.8153

Personally I used to run dungeons a lot back in the early days before HoTs came out. 

What I liked back then: 

- full daily reward once per character instead of account (I enjoyed running the dungeons with different alts back then)

- It was ok ish endgame pve available.

What is needed: 

- More unpredictability so that not every encounter can be won by stacking behind the same corner. This is number 1 reason I no      longer do dungeons because standing still in the same corners everytime makes for boring gameplay.

how to solve? Personally I liked the old fractals where you did not know which 3 instances you would end up getting. So maybe something similar vould be done by combining the current alternative explorable versions into a single one where you dont know which bosses exatly you will be fighting.

Dungeons are already 30GPH, and the main thing holding it back is Diminishing Returns.

If your first thought of Diminishing Returns was "running COFp1 over and over again for max rewards" this is not what I am referring to. Dungeons are events from the games perspective, and just like if you do too many events too quickly, if you do too many dungeons too quickly you also run into diminishing returns.

This Diminishing Returns is very harsh, as back in Core you basically had to teleport hack to run into it so it removed basically all of the rewards when you ran into it. Nowadays its really easy to run into if you're in a group that even relatively knows what its doing. Around half of the value of each dungeon path gets removed from this type of Diminishing Returns, this being fixed would massively jump the gold per hour to being pretty good, to being one of the best farms in the game up there with the likes of farming T4 Aetherblade with Fractal God.

Theres another big nerf to the gold per hour in dungeons, and thats Dungeon Recipes. These are recipes that you get to make a path unique Dungeon Trinket, that you can sell on the trading post for much better gold than converting the Tokens to Rares, then Salvaging to Ectoplasm, and for the lower level dungeons, these Recipes are the only way to liquidate Tokens at all. 
The bug is that a couple of them don't drop, and you can see this reflected in their price on the trading post.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Alpha_Conduit

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Replicator

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vallog's_Demise
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ring_of_Blood

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stargazer_Pendant

These are the recipes that currently do not drop, all considerably more expensive than their currently dropping counterparts, fixing these recipes dropping would also bump the gold up quite a bit, as selling the best Trinkets that you can increases the gold per hour to an absolutely insane ~80GPH, and this is also before the aforementioned DR fix. 

All in all, Dungeons are not very accessible, the best way to do the content is by simply not doing it, and jumping puzzling yourself to the end or to the select bosses that you do need to kill to get credit for progression, the path, and end rewards, and the GPH is only good at the top end when you're doing them quickly. Are they fine the way they are right now? Absolutely, its still good enough GPH, its still fun, and its still very realistic for pugs to do them(sidenote:If Anet made new dungeons today, THEY WOULD NOT BE ANYTHING LIKE THE CURRENT ONES WE HAVE.) I think they're mainly dead due to the lack of Dev Support, and lack of the community caring that Dungeons are actually playable, engaging, and profitable, they just ignore them regardless.

Edited by Grimjack.8130
  • Like 1