Toughest enemy type

NorthernRedStar.3054

For you, personally?

What do you 
A) hate facing in terms of mobs and units?
B) think is the toughest enemy type (bosses included)?

For me it would be A) awakened canids and B) djinn (bosses). Canids are erratic and have very short cues. Djinn bosses, particularly Rubedon and Ellutherius, can be very challenging to solo due to their elemental abilities either nullifying your projectiles or condis. Fire djinn hit like trucks.

EDIT: for the sake of fairness, don't include Branded Ley-line Anomaly in your lists, lol.

Edited by NorthernRedStar.3054

That's a really hard thing to pin down, I think there are a lot of central tyian mobs/bosses that get overlooked. Gravelings for example can do some serious damage. There are a bunch of dungeon bosses people skip that are kind of hard to fight like Korga the Lord of Orrian Gorillas, which is like a stronger version of Bloomhunger without phases and mobs that knockdown.

- pre expansion core: Dredge were kind of nasty, when you encountered them (or in Frostgorge Sound later), because they are immune to blind and daze. Teragriffs in Silverwastes, because of their run-down skill and the damaging trail they leave you in.

- HoT expansion: Hylek/Mordrem snipers (before you gained the ability to see them) and "knock down mushrooms", because they often come in packs.

- PoF expansion: Awakened Canids and Abominations; knockdowns and pulls are nasty, if you face more than one; stability is still a boon that is not readily available for quite a few professions.

- later LS & IBS: 3000 range White Mantle knights, because they kind of follow you everywhere (applies to Legion Snipers as well, but at least those don't walk most of the time)

• Like 1

There was one particular Risen Abomination I have to keep an eye on in the Ossuary of Unquiet Dead story mission. It's the one patrolling the outer ring and the reason it's so troublesome is because it's deceptively smaller than most other Risen Abominations and you're being followed by a group of NPC allies. That means the thing is almost guaranteed to reach 25 frenzy stacks (ouch!) and reaches further than you might normally realize! I think most people playing this mission for the first time wipe on it if they encounter it.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 2:02 AM, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

A) hate facing in terms of mobs and units?

Branded Griffon (evasion), Chak (goo), 

On 10/16/2021 at 2:02 AM, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

B) think is the toughest enemy type (bosses included)?

The bandit leaders from the Long Arm of Light quest and the Legendary Bandit Executioner. Too fast, way too strong and they spam conditions and CC like maniacs. The executioners can stomp players. I'd rather fight the Ley Anomaly in the Dzasha Uplands, any Legendary Djinn or Legendary Hydra instead of these NPCs. 

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

- pre expansion core: Dredge were kind of nasty, when you encountered them (or in Frostgorge Sound later), because they are immune to blind and daze. Teragriffs in Silverwastes, because of their run-down skill and the damaging trail they leave you in.

- HoT expansion: Hylek/Mordrem snipers (before you gained the ability to see them) and "knock down mushrooms", because they often come in packs.

- PoF expansion: Awakened Canids and Abominations; knockdowns and pulls are nasty, if you face more than one; stability is still a boon that is not readily available for quite a few professions.

- later LS & IBS: 3000 range White Mantle knights, because they kind of follow you everywhere (applies to Legion Snipers as well, but at least those don't walk most of the time)

I forgot about mushrooms. There's one particular Mushroom King in Draconis Mons that brings an explosive army with him, meaning you can't stop. At all.

• Like 1

a) Awakaned Canids are definitely up there. They will pursue you halfway across the map, even when flying.

I would put a general honourable mention to those monster categories who, individually, are not that bad, but come in balanced packs that cover a bunch or roles, like an adventuring party. I am thinking mostly of mordrem, Forged and White Mantle, but others could fit the bill.

b) I have a much harder time picking. The one that consistently gives me the most issues is Caudecus at the conclusion of The Head of the Snake.

• Like 1

Lake Doric White Mantle nearly had me quitting the game when it launched. Especially those stupid mesmers that you had to kill 2-4 times… individually they were fine but they always hunted in packs

as mentioned, awakened canids and Mordrem terragriffs are nasty

also even now that I am a raider and competitive guy so got my rotations down and legendary gear and such, I give wide berths to risen kingpins when I am alone farming orrian pearls. Never worth the time

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 10:11 AM, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Soloing in Heart of Thorns mostly. Especially in the beginning before the nerfs.

With a max hp of 12577, isn't this the expected result?

Even a naked elementalist with a +100 vitality food has more health than that.

That elementalist better be careful. If the monsters accidentally sneeze at her, she's going down.

Edited by magic fly.2041
  • Like 1

A) Mordrem Guard Desolator — it's difficult to win a fight against someone who can't take any damage, plus they hit like a train... not like a truck, like a god kitten train. I fear no man, but this thing... it scares me.

Some mobs are worth mentioning here: Bristlebacks (GG if you don't have anything for projectiles), Chak (big ones can finish a downed player), Magma Elemental (too much burning), Shadowleapers (HoT, insane ranged damage, I always feel squishy against them).

B) Awakened Abominations. I enjoy fighting them, but have you ever tried to kill that one champ in Kourna? You can easily one-shot yourself against it's counterattack. Many people fails at that part. It's tough, because this is one of the few Open World mobs with actual mechanics.

Also worth mentioning: Crazed Centaurs (Lake Doric) but only due to insane damage they do.

1 hour ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

Mordrem Guard Desolator — it's difficult to win a fight against someone who can't take any damage, plus they hit like a train... not like a truck, like a god kitten train. I fear no man, but this thing... it scares me.

Use CC skills, which every class has, to break the defiance bar. 

1 hour ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

Bristlebacks (GG if you don't have anything for projectiles)

Use any type of hard CC to interrupt them. 

How do you expect anyone to top soloing a Legendary group boss? Or was that the reason you made this thread?

Anyway, currently, my top hated enemies are anything that one shots me out of the sky from seemingly the other end of the map.

As for a boss, the CM Caledon Forest DRM Frost Colossus. I hate it with a passion.

2 hours ago, MikeG.6389 said:

How do you expect anyone to top soloing a Legendary group boss? Or was that the reason you made this thread?

Anyway, currently, my top hated enemies are anything that one shots me out of the sky from seemingly the other end of the map.

As for a boss, the CM Caledon Forest DRM Frost Colossus. I hate it with a passion.

FYI, you can solo the legendary executioner (and all the bandit champions, too!).  It has very simple and predictable mechanics and behavior.  In fact, it's a bit of a one-trick-pony.  It can't attack you from range and its gap closer (whirlwind) is massively telegraphed (listen for the distinctive yell preceding the attack!). 

The big thing to watch out for is actually the arcing slice that occurs when the whirlwind attack reaches full extension.  That's what does the knockdown plus big damage and bleed that downs most players in this fight.  Dodge that, don't melt your own face off on the reflect orb, and don't eat greatsword auto chains when you move into melee range and this fight is very doable solo.  You even deal with less area denial as the number of sword drops (orange circles) increases the more players there are present.  It's not all bad!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

FYI, you can solo the legendary executioner (and all the bandit champions, too!).  It has very simple and predictable mechanics and behavior.  In fact, it's a bit of a one-trick-pony.  It can't attack you from range and its gap closer (whirlwind) is massively telegraphed (listen for the distinctive yell preceding the attack!). 

The big thing to watch out for is actually the arcing slice that occurs when the whirlwind attack reaches full extension.  That's what does the knockdown plus big damage and bleed that downs most players in this fight.  Dodge that, don't melt your own face off on the reflect orb, and don't eat greatsword auto chains when you move into melee range and this fight is very doable solo.  You even deal with less area denial as the number of sword drops (orange circles) increases the more players there are present.  It's not all bad!

Well, here is a different question: what fraction of players can actually solo champs? I know you can. You've shown me a video. It takes skill, dedication and practice, probably more than most players have or are willing to develop. I can probably count on the fingers of one hand where I have been able to do that in about six years of GW2.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Harfang.1507 said:

Well, here is a different question: what fraction of players can actually solo champs? I know you can. You've shown me a video. It takes skill, dedication and practice, probably more than most players have or are willing to develop. I can probably count on the fingers of one hand where I have been able to do that in about six years of GW2.

Champions in the core game are actually very easy to solo (safe for a few exceptions, maybe, such as Drakin Cinderspire in The Scorchlands). The expansion ones range from easy to challenging to nigh' impossible to solo (due to certain mechanics).

On 10/18/2021 at 6:01 AM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

This. I've soloed executioner a few times. Granted, particularly in encounters with OTK-attacks, there's always a chance that something unlucky screws you up out of the blue.

10 hours ago, Harfang.1507 said:

Sure.  We're just discussing toughest enemy types in this thead, so I thought I'd mention how the bandit boss mechanics can be managed by a single player.  I think they're great encounters for small groups or solo players to challenge themselves and you're right, it requires some practice to handle them.

Hate fighting: Branded griffons. 

Toughest: maybe not the most lethal, but this bunny can be nigh unkillable if it pulls the right combination of unstable abilities.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Champion_Silkears_the_Fierce

I still hate the mushroom queen HP in tangled depths too.

Edited by thehipone.6812
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, thehipone.6812 said:

Hate fighting: Branded griffons. 

Toughest: maybe not the most lethal, but this bunny can be nigh unkillable if it pulls the right combination of unstable abilities.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Champion_Silkears_the_Fierce

I still hate the mushroom queen HP in tangled depths too.

This bunny is one of the few true troll bosses in the game. Bet the dev who came up with them had fun times.

• Like 2