Mechanist Feedback Thread

Fire Attunement.9835

As I stated repeatedly before : Mechanist as a Condi class does not work without Confusion being properly supported on an Engineer. The mace is useless without it. It works better as a support class than a damage class, because engineers already have existing traits that can match up to a support Mechanic.

As it stands, my Condi Holo which is notoriously hellish to pull off is still more effective than a Condi mechanist, and by a wide margin. The effort isn't the same, but Holo is a Power spec with condi capacity. Mechanist was touted as a condi spec with support capacity. It's normal that the first take effort to pull off, but not the second.

Edited by Naxos.2503
  • Like 3

On 1/30/2022 at 2:49 PM, Naxos.2503 said:

As I stated repeatedly before : Mechanist as a Condi class does not work without Confusion being properly supported on an Engineer. The mace is useless without it. 

I wouldn't say that Mechanist as condi doesn't work without confusion being supported.

But if you mean that something like a confusion trait would be nice, I fully agree. 

I really like confusion as a condition tbh, but I also said multiple times in this thread that its not supported enough. 

Personally I would like something like:

Confusion Duration is increased by 33% (To Match burning and bleeding duration of firearms). Confusion damage is increased by ~15% if you wield a mace. (PvE balance)

It would give both pistol and mace builds 100% burning, bleeding and confusion duration (Because bomb kit and pistol 3 also inflict confusion). But it gives mace extra confusion damage Because it has no other damaging conditions to offer (except 1 burn stack on skill 3). 

Of course there are maybe other ideas but its in my opinion a very nice one.

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aylpse.6280 said:

Not gonna lie lads, Alch/Inven/Mech looks pretty neat as a support build.

Its not bad but...Support Scrapper is better.
Tho alac-mechanist could work, however as healer+boon support, scrapper is better.

Just like Power Holo and Scrapper are better than power mechanist.

They shouldve left away the power traitline on mechanist, however now we have one and its....very bad.

3 hours ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Its not bad but...Support Scrapper is better.
Tho alac-mechanist could work, however as healer+boon support, scrapper is better.

Just like Power Holo and Scrapper are better than power mechanist.

They shouldve left away the power traitline on mechanist, however now we have one and its....very bad.

Well, unless I am mistaken, Support Scrapper can't give alacrity? I keep seeing everyone asking for Alac-supp Rev for everything and I'll be honest, I hate playing Rev. Alac-mechanist may be a possible alternative to this, if it can maintain perma. On paper, Cele with Leadership runes,  concentration sigil, taking Alch/Inven/Mech is sitting at 96% boon duration with no food or item buffs. I'm not sure how the math adds up, but adjustments can be made to reach 100% (provided it even needs it) boon duration. Cele seems nice for the assorted stats, chances are there is a better setup the number crunchers will get on it. Even while writing this post an added food into the question here, taking off the concentration sigil for an accuracy (or force) one and using Mint Cream Burlee and Master Maint oil it's sitting on a hefty 99% boon duration.

tl;dr if Mech can be an alternative to Alac-Rev I will play it, just hopefully it's good enough.

16 minutes ago, Aylpse.6280 said:

Well, unless I am mistaken, Support Scrapper can't give alacrity?

Yea it cant, i just mean it is overall better. 

Alac mechanist will work I think. But I wouldn't use mechanist as healer build bc in this case scrapper is just better. 

But it will surely bring a good alac build. But it wont be better than renegade. Nothing will. 1 button perma big aoe 10 target alac is just too good. 

However yes, its an alternative because at least mechanist can bring other stuff like barrier too. We ll see what changed when eod drops and maybe I have more hope...Personally i just want my condi mechanist to work....since i always finally wanted an e spec on engi that supports condi properly. 

I hope alac mechanist will work too tho barrier on mace 2 and 3 could maybe work for viability bc it can bring nice barrier support then which will make it asked by lots of groups (I hope). Hope mace gets some improvements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aylpse.6280 said:

Well, unless I am mistaken, Support Scrapper can't give alacrity? I keep seeing everyone asking for Alac-supp Rev for everything and I'll be honest, I hate playing Rev. Alac-mechanist may be a possible alternative to this, if it can maintain perma. On paper, Cele with Leadership runes,  concentration sigil, taking Alch/Inven/Mech is sitting at 96% boon duration with no food or item buffs. I'm not sure how the math adds up, but adjustments can be made to reach 100% (provided it even needs it) boon duration. Cele seems nice for the assorted stats, chances are there is a better setup the number crunchers will get on it. Even while writing this post an added food into the question here, taking off the concentration sigil for an accuracy (or force) one and using Mint Cream Burlee and Master Maint oil it's sitting on a hefty 99% boon duration.

tl;dr if Mech can be an alternative to Alac-Rev I will play it, just hopefully it's good enough.

Mechanist offers more offensive boons whereas Scrapper is more about defense overall.

Mechanist can easily offer alac, might and fury (I'm probably missing some stuff here but that's what I remember) but as far as healing goes it sucks compared to Scrapper. Your option are very limited to mace 2 spam with high uptime on regen and I suppose the healing kit, though you do lose the self healing that also translate into a loss of high heal for your allies using the trait in invention.  And yes it does not offer quickness.

Scrapper gives a lot of protection, quickness, protection, vigor and a lot of regen. It can give a decent amount of might as well I guess. If you group struggle surviving in an encounter, Scrapper will have a lot more heal, revives with gyro and so on....

• Like 2

Rework rifle, pistols (make them do full damage up to at least 900 range) and grenade kit (allow auto attack) so that engineer actually gets a somewhat viable ranged option, now that there is an elite spec that doesn't require us to stay in melee via spec mechanic. For a profession that is all about tech it's extremely awkward that the best weapons better fit cave men than engineers.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Limodriver.4106 said:

whats so elite about the elite skill?  this skill is so useless

this.
The passive is nice but the active effect is 100% useless. Far too high cooldown for what is does. They should make "Crash down" 40 sec if mech fully dies and then fully put away the part that the signet recalls mech. Then make the elite skill a far lower cooldown, like 30 sec. Then maybe give an additional active bonus, maybe boons or stat bonuses for some seconds.
Done, you have a viable elite skill.
(PvE balance I told about obv)

• Like 1

Starting to like it. But I'm not a pro playing optimized builds. Compared to my Holo when I tried Mechanist ... it felt much easier. (Aetherblade + Naga are annoying mobs.)

Didn't want to totally change towards conditions (for cofusion) and tried it for my solo open world play style - so no focus on alacrity. Instead on the power ... and the traits with explosions and stuff + the explosions trait line as well. And all signets.

Feels nice to play in open world - so far.

Edited by Luthan.5236

I'd like to suggest being able to flag the golem to stay at a location. I gave support Mechanist a run in fractals and the golem's positioning can be too erratic during a fight.

The biggest issue is when I needed to do barrier burst to keep my boons up, the golem is standing on the opposite side of boss which means that often times, my party will miss out on the boos since they're out of the radius. The only workaround that I found to be working so far was to spam the Return to Me command as much as possible and force it to get to where I am and then start using skills.

So, if there's a way for us to flag the golem down, this would make giving boons to the party a lot more easier and would allow also us to tactically use the bubble barrier instead of being dependent on where the golem's current position is (which is incredibly random).

Oh, and the golem tends to get stuck on the smaller islands in Fractal 99 and no amount of Return to Me would call it back. The fact that I have to recall it and make it land again every time is very tiring.

Edited by miles.5961
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tiilimon.6094 said:

it doesn't work underwater

Hold on, what do you mean it doesn't work underwater? Like the golem won't spawn? How the hell are you supposed to do underwater combat when the golem doesn't even appear? Even the freaking Necro pets go with you. 

Anet really rushed this expansion and it shows. 

im still wonder why the decision to, or try to, jam in 3 different roles into 1 spec. Why not just decide on one role - say power damage, for example - and then make 3 different ways to play around that role. Melee, mid range aoe, and full ranged for example.
That wouldve given so much more options to work with the traits and make interesting options for the player. 

• Like 2

Not going to lie mechanist is awesome but the thing why i rather play Harbinger is the mech itself. About 50% of the time it seems to have mind of its own and sometimes it feels like it has the old wow aggressive setting and goes and attacks everything on sight. Also it has really horrible pathing and sometimes it just stands on a cliff and refuses all commands.

6 minutes ago, Scolix.4879 said:

Not going to lie mechanist is awesome but the thing why i rather play Harbinger is the mech itself. About 50% of the time it seems to have mind of its own and sometimes it feels like it has the old wow aggressive setting and goes and attacks everything on sight. Also it has really horrible pathing and sometimes it just stands on a cliff and refuses all commands.

Not sure what people were expecting, judging by ranger pet I knew this is gonna be a thing since they said it's gonna be an AI.

Dead espec, wasted potential.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Samug.6512 said:

Not sure what people were expecting, judging by ranger pet I knew this is gonna be a thing since they said it's gonna be an AI.

Dead espec, wasted potential.

Well i really had no expectations after i saw its a "hunter" pet as i have yet to see any mmo that has pet that doesn't kitten me off after few minutes of gameplay and constantly having to babysit the pet or watch it either stand passively on 2cm rock because its "stuck" or attack everything on sight from critters to boss level mobs.

When it works Mechanist is really fun to play but the AI is just too awful to enjoy the profession for long run.